The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

13 year old boy who has Aspergers syndrome shot multiple times on september 4th in Salt Lake City by police. The young fella was having a mental eposide and was running from police. This is shocking :(

J70

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 10, 2020, 04:41:39 AM
Trump: Caravan! Antifa! Cities are war zones! They're coming to take your guns! No more Christmas! Illegals are voting in the millions! Mexicans are rapists! China! Deep state!

Also Trump: I didn't want to cause a panic.

;D

J70

Quote from: Roesider on September 09, 2020, 11:20:03 PM
Have to say its very coincidental that Trump gets nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize just as hes been trying to say he is a peacetime president to the electorate and that Joe Biden is a warmonger. What timing that was. Whats the chances of him winning it?

Slim to none.

This is a man who admires and wants to be a strongman dictator. A man who refuses to condemn the actions of such men. A man who refuses to disavow the support of racists, who is running for re-election on a platform pretty much consisting of trying to scare the f**k out of white voters about the "threat" of minorities and who ran a policy of ripping toddlers from their mothers' arms and shipping them off across the country in order to try to intimidate illegal immigrants, including asylum seekers. A man who has targeted people for exclusion based solely on their religion.

Someone else mentioned Obama winning it.

No doubt that was extremely premature at the time and Obama was, I would imagine, embarrassed about it, but at least he was preaching a message of inclusion and his election did represent a significant milestone in US history in an aspect of life that would come under the umbrella of this prize.

There is simply nothing about Trump, either the man or the president, that warrants consideration for the Peace Prize.

imtommygunn

Would you have thought he'd have been nominated though >:(

five points

Quote from: J70 on September 10, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
at least he was preaching a message of inclusion

... while going on in the next 8 years to launch ten times more air strikes on foreign targets than GW Bush did during his 8 years.

Some "inclusion" that.

J70

Quote from: five points on September 10, 2020, 12:10:56 PM

... while going on in the next 8 years to launch ten times more air strikes on foreign targets than GW Bush did during his 8 years.

Some "inclusion" that.

Maybe so.

But on the one hand we have Obama, at the time, following up on his campaign rhetoric by going on his "apology tour", acknowledging the less-than-stellar history of US foreign policy, sending Fox News and the right apoplectic, while Trump begins his presidency with a Muslim ban and continues on right down that road of white grievance politics.

five points

Quote from: J70 on September 10, 2020, 12:22:01 PM
But on the one hand we have Obama, at the time, following up on his campaign rhetoric by going on his "apology tour", acknowledging the less-than-stellar history of US foreign policy, sending Fox News and the right apoplectic, while Trump begins his presidency with a Muslim ban and continues on right down that road of white grievance politics.

So apologies and rhetoric count for more than bombs dropped on civilians? Wow.

RedHand88

Gonna be some amount of exploding heads in here if Trump wins in November.

J70

Quote from: five points on September 10, 2020, 12:42:43 PM

So apologies and rhetoric count for more than bombs dropped on civilians? Wow.

Where did I say that?

I said originally that the prize Obama received was extremely premature. It was basically based on rhetoric, not action.

Trump, on the other hand, has years of rhetoric AND four years of policy against him.

I'm sure there's plenty Obama would do differently in terms of Arab spring and Syria/Iraq/ISIS if he had to do it again. Not that the right has any credibility whatsoever or grounds on which to criticize  him. They gave him plenty of shit for not being tough enough on that front.

That some of them, including Fox News heads, would now be trying to criticize Joe Biden as a warmonger is simply hilarious.

J70

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 10, 2020, 01:12:54 PM
Gonna be some amount of exploding heads in here if Trump wins in November.

Yours should be exploding too.

five points

Quote from: J70 on September 10, 2020, 01:42:16 PM
Where did I say that?

Here

Some "inclusion" that.

Maybe so.

J70

Quote from: five points on September 10, 2020, 01:47:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 10, 2020, 01:42:16 PM
Where did I say that?

Here

Some "inclusion" that.

Maybe so.

I don't know about you, but when I'm conversing with someone, one post usually leads to/from and is connected to the other ones in the exchange.

The premise of the post you quoted was the previous one where I said the award was "extremely premature".

At no point did I justify the award. I said "at least" he had something going for him, even if it was just rhetoric, whereas Trump has absolutely nothing going for him.

five points

Nobody contested your "extremely premature" observation. 

Then you followed up my "(he went on to) launch ten times more airstrikes than Bush" comment with stuff about rhetoric and an apology.

J70

Quote from: five points on September 10, 2020, 02:11:44 PM

Then you followed up my "(he went on to) launch ten times more airstrikes than Bush" comment with stuff about rhetoric and an apology.

So then your comment on Obama and air strikes had, what, exactly, to do with the conversation on the Nobel Prize?

five points

Quote from: J70 on September 10, 2020, 02:25:36 PM
Quote from: five points on September 10, 2020, 02:11:44 PM

So then your comment on Obama and air strikes had, what, exactly, to do with the conversation on the Nobel Prize?

It was a direct rebuttal to your "There is simply nothing about Trump, either the man or the president, that warrants consideration for the Peace Prize" comment, after your defence of Obama and his record.