The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2019, 11:09:45 AM
Seafoiid

For the thousandth time I'm not a Trump supporter

I am a conservative so I would obviously agree with SOME of his policies

I am a conservative so I obviously dislike the Democrats and all the hypocrisy they represent

As Joe Scarborough said this week the Democrats have just given Trump his closing argument for 2020 through a series of unforced errors. (New Green Deal, Celebration of Third Trimester Abortion, Virginia and now Amazon)
you are the Ann Coulter of the GAA board

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on February 15, 2019, 01:22:47 PM
Seafoiid

I am a conservative so I obviously dislike the Democrats and all the hypocrisy they represent

As Joe Scarborough said this week the Democrats have just given Trump his closing argument for 2020 through a series of unforced errors. (New Green Deal, Celebration of Third Trimester Abortion, Virginia and now Amazon)

Seafoid....I know plenty of people who hate Fianna Fail and Fine Gael almost equally. 

Well, thats me, I hate the Republican and Democratic establishments almost equally, but as a "conservative", I would probably agree with more republicans ideas than Democratic ones

With that said, I agree with many tDemocratic ideas too

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on February 15, 2019, 01:21:18 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 01:08:06 PM
Quote from: Dolph1 on February 15, 2019, 12:16:01 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 11:24:13 AM
What is Trump going to say about Virginia? He mentions blackface, and all his opponent has to do is mention Charlottesville, the alt-right, David Duke, federal law suits for discimination in housing, right wing political strongmen and so on and on.

Amazon - yes... if his opponent is AOC or Jimmy van Braemer. On the other hand, DiBlasio and, especially, Cuomo, were ardent supporters of the Amazon deal, while the majority of New Yorkers, an overwhelmingly Democratic town, also supported it.

The third trimester abortion issue... I guess, if Trump wants to run on straw man arguments and misrepresented quotes, as opposed to the real problem of how to address late term pregnancy emergencies.

Green new deal... remains to be seen, but at least AOC and her ilk are trying to do something, present a roadmap or whatever, extreme/overambitious as it might be in certain respects, rather than present the outright lies and "nothing to see here" cynicism you get from Trump and the broader conservative movement.

And the "Democratic hypocrisy"... when are you ever going to admit that politicians and politics as an enterprise is inherently replete with hypocrisy. Its the nature of the beast. They all do it. Republicans and conservatives are NOT less hypocriticial than Democrats and liberals. Its just that you don't care or notice when your side does it; for whatever reason you appear to care less about your side and its policies than about your grievances with the (in your perception) hypocrisy of the Democrats and the "lamestream" media.

Cuomo lit the freedom tower pink to celebrate the late term abortion bill. There is no way to pretend this was misrepresented.

Democrats have been badly found out in the last month.

Northam's comments were misrepresented. As for the NY law, what exactly is your objection? That the health of the mother is now a consideration, when before she would have to travel out of state? Or that she cannot be charged with a crime anymore for having a third trimester abortion when her own life is not at risk?

I wish there could be a proper mature discussion of this topic.

All we get is a lot of noise and hysteria the extremes on both sides. Whereas in real life, most people object to abortion as emergency birth control but realize that sometimes pregnancies go horribly wrong, whether for the mother or the baby and that there should be health care available to humanely end the pregnancy under certain circumstances.

Sorry J70 - he spoke as a arrogant man who was totally behind the idea. He was pretty unaware of the massive smackdown coming his way.
I agree it's complicated. Genuine medical grounds for sure but you know that law will be abused.

He is an arrogant ass, to be sure, all the more illustrated by his tone deaf, ham- fisted, dishonest response to the blackface/klan picture on his yearbook page.. However, his comment was specifically about cases where a woman with a non-viable baby or one with severe deformities went into labour and the parents and doctors had difficult decisions to make. The backlash did not include those caveats.

Like I said, the issue is difficult and complex enough without each side trying to exaggerate and impugn the worst possible motives on the other.

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2019, 01:56:12 PM
Seafoiid

Seafoid....I know plenty of people who hate Fianna Fail and Fine Gael almost equally. 

Well, thats me, I hate the Republican and Democratic establishments almost equally, but as a "conservative", I would probably agree with more republicans ideas than Democratic ones

Whitey,

I never met someone who wasn't in FF but posted thousands of FF talking points !

And I bet you can't name 10 conservative policies advocated by the GOP 

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on February 15, 2019, 01:59:32 PM
Seafoiid

Whitey,

I never met someone who wasn't in FF but posted thousands of FF talking points !

Believe whatever you want-they are conservative talking points not Republican talking points

Where I would differ greatly from the Republican establishment would be on topics such as gun control, abortion and climate change

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2019, 02:39:54 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 15, 2019, 01:59:32 PM
Seafoiid

Whitey,

Believe whatever you want-they are conservative talking points not Republican talking points

Where I would differ greatly from the Republican establishment would be on topics such as gun control, abortion and climate change
Just name 10, Whitey

whitey

Why would I care about the GOP....Im not a Republican

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2019, 03:04:11 PM
You are a conservative and you post a lot about the GOP
So name 10 GOP policies you like as a conservative
It's not that hard

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 01:15:52 PM
Quote from: Dolph1 on February 15, 2019, 01:14:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 01:09:44 PM
Quote from: Dolph1 on February 15, 2019, 12:30:40 PM
Any of you democrats think that Ilhan Omar should resign from the foreign affairs panel?

Do you?

I don't think I'd class myself as a democrat ;)

Well, you're asking the question, so one would assume you have an opinion.

I'd have deported her a long time ago. A cancer in government.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on February 15, 2019, 03:41:07 PM
Any of you democrats think that Ilhan Omar should resign from the foreign affairs panel?

Do you?

O...k...

But on the specific issue at hand i.e. her supposed anti-Semitism, manifested in criticism of Israel and the influence of AIPAC?

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on February 15, 2019, 03:56:33 PM

Do you?

O...k...

But on the specific issue at hand i.e. her supposed anti-Semitism, manifested in criticism of Israel and the influence of AIPAC?

Come on. There is nothing supposed about it.

She was fairly quick to demonise the Covington schoolkids. What sort of message does that send out about an elected official.

She seems to tweet lies then delete them afterwards once they've been read. sc**bag.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on February 15, 2019, 04:21:18 PM

Do you?

O...k...

Come on. There is nothing supposed about it.

She was fairly quick to demonise the Covington schoolkids. What sort of message does that send out about an elected official.

She seems to tweet lies then delete them afterwards once they've been read. sc**bag.

I don't like much of Israel's policies regarding the Palestinians and land theft. That makes me anti-Israel, not anti-Semitic. Many American Jews support the boycott - are they anti-Semitic?

Now of course she may veer into the more insane, conspiracy theory realm of anti-Semitism. I'm open to that argument if you want to make it.

But demonization and lies and false accusations from an elected official... heaven forbid! You, the Trump fanboy, actually have standards in that area?  ;D

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on February 15, 2019, 03:09:38 PM
Quote from: whitey on February 15, 2019, 03:04:11 PM
You are a conservative and you post a lot about the GOP
So name 10 GOP policies you like as a conservative
It's not that hard

I don't think they even have 10 policies and I can't be bothered looking it up, so generally I would say I'm a believer in small government, common sense regulation (as opposed to over regulation) , prudent spending and a taxation system that rewards hard work and innovation.

whitey

Do you?

O...k...

It's not just Republicans who are concerned ....it's Democrats too

I just think she isn't that smart

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.twincities.com/2019/02/12/mn-jewish-leaders-talked-with-ilhan-omar-about-anti-semitism-last-year-why-they-remain-frustrated/amp/

"Most of us came out of that conversation very troubled by the answers we received. I was not convinced she was going to give a balanced approach to policy in the Middle East, and I was not convinced ... where her heart is on these things.