The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

What a total moron.

US President Donald Trump has said it is not the time for a political debate on gun control, in the wake of the mass shooting in Las Vegas that killed 59 people and injured more than 500 others.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1003/909236-las-vegas/

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump  13h13 hours ago
More
I have just ordered Homeland Security to step up our already Extreme Vetting Program. Being politically correct is fine, but not for this!

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump  3h3 hours ago
More
The terrorist came into our country through what is called the "Diversity Visa Lottery Program," a Chuck Schumer beauty. I want merit based.

Therealdonald

Shows how much luck I have...literally applied for the lottery scheme yesterday. I always wonder what support do these attacks have in the native countries of the attacker? Is it roundly condemned? Or are they seen as maybe martyrs?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: screenexile on November 01, 2017, 11:57:11 AM
Surprised there's very little talk on here about the terror attack. Horrible thing to happen and difficult to see what could have been done to prevent it really.

In all the talk since I actually agree with what a lot of the """""Conservative""""" (using the term very loosely) commentators are saying.

I don't know a whole lot about the American immigration system but a lottery doesn't sound to me like the best system for letting people into your country. How merit based is the system and how many criteria do you have to fulfil before you can enter the lottery?

I think a merit based system has to be the way forward for every country especially with the threat now posed from terror.

It's a pity that they shut down this type of debate a few weeks ago after the Vegas massacre and said "we shouldn't be talking about policy when the bodies are still warm" and yet look what happens when there's a terror incident? Republicans haven't fucked up about the terror incident since it happened!!!

Now is not the time to talk about fighting terrorism. We have to show respect for the dead by shutting down all attempts to discuss how we can prevent this sort of thing in future.

seafoid

Immigration is driven by neoliberalism.  It is the only way to keep growth going when debt is the system. Debt shunts money to the rich. Immigration also keeps wages down. This is a GOP problem. 

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/81b19fc0-be7e-11e7-b8a3-38a6e068f464

The Internet Research Agency is a Kremlin-connected troll farm that the three companies have all found trying to manipulate US audiences on their platform. Facebook was the first to discover the group, saying it believes 126m people in the US saw a post from a fake page set up by the organisation.

The posts focused on political issues from race relations to gun rights and gay rights, and attempted to sow dissent, and even organise "real life" protests, rather than explicitly endorse specific candidates. Mr Stretch described the content as "so vile, so upsetting, so cynical".

In a tense two and a half-hour showdown, senators tried to understand how to legislate to ensure foreign actors are unable to influence US elections through online platforms, and questioned whether other countries could have been running such campaigns, from China to North Korea.

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 01, 2017, 03:26:15 PM
Surprised there's very little talk on here about the terror attack. Horrible thing to happen and difficult to see what could have been done to prevent it really.

In all the talk since I actually agree with what a lot of the """""Conservative""""" (using the term very loosely) commentators are saying.

I don't know a whole lot about the American immigration system but a lottery doesn't sound to me like the best system for letting people into your country. How merit based is the system and how many criteria do you have to fulfil before you can enter the lottery?

I think a merit based system has to be the way forward for every country especially with the threat now posed from terror.

It's a pity that they shut down this type of debate a few weeks ago after the Vegas massacre and said "we shouldn't be talking about policy when the bodies are still warm" and yet look what happens when there's a terror incident? Republicans haven't fucked up about the terror incident since it happened!!!

Now is not the time to talk about fighting terrorism. We have to show respect for the dead by shutting down all attempts to discuss how we can prevent this sort of thing in future.

Of course democrats will like to avoid the thorny subjects. This is the left's version of Charlottesville but on a grander scale.

Respect for the dead would be to make sure events like this don't ever happen again. Ignoring the problem won't solve it.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 01, 2017, 12:17:47 PM

I wouldn't even regard this as "real" terror

A misguided impressionable individual who got led astray

FFS if he waited a few hours he could have killed hundreds at the Halloween parade which is held a couple of miles from his attack....usually has well over 1M attendees

At least you can't buy a gun in the strip mall or Walmart around these parts.

Imagine how much worse it could have been if this yoyo had had an AR-15 or something?

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on November 01, 2017, 05:53:30 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 01, 2017, 03:26:15 PM

Of course democrats will like to avoid the thorny subjects. This is the left's version of Charlottesville but on a grander scale.

Respect for the dead would be to make sure events like this don't ever happen again. Ignoring the problem won't solve it.

Sure go ahead and show us the Democrats/liberals who DON'T want to discuss the issue of terrorism?

The right's "thoughts and prayers/now is not the time" cynicism on gun violence is undeniable and a cliche at this point.

Who should the average person in the US be more worried about running into? An islamic terrorist or some random whackjob with a grievance and easy access to military style weapons?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: J70 on November 01, 2017, 06:39:07 PM

Sure go ahead and show us the Democrats/liberals who DON'T want to discuss the issue of terrorism?

The right's "thoughts and prayers/now is not the time" cynicism on gun violence is undeniable and a cliche at this point.

Who should the average person in the US be more worried about running into? An islamic terrorist or some random whackjob with a grievance and easy access to military style weapons?

seafoid

In December 2012, a gunman walked into Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, and killed 20 children, six adults, and himself. Since then, there have been at least 1,518 mass shootings, with at least 1,715 people killed and 6,089 wounded.

There have been less than 10 terrorist attacks.
Americans are very poor at maths.

Plus there is the NRA.

stew

Maybe, just maybe these investigations will bring down Clinton, Obama and Trump, how facking great would that be?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

heganboy

Don't see how you can bring down retired folks? Either Clinton and Obama are pretty much out of the picture. The current hot seat occupier may not be so fortunate.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2017, 09:04:14 PM
In December 2012, a gunman walked into Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, and killed 20 children, six adults, and himself. Since then, there have been at least 1,518 mass shootings, with at least 1,715 people killed and 6,089 wounded.

Plus there is the NRA.
Guns have killed over 1,000 people and over 3,000 have been shot in the US since the Las Vegas massacre alone.

But that's not a problem, or something.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on November 02, 2017, 09:27:16 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2017, 09:04:14 PM

Plus there is the NRA.
Guns have killed over 1,000 people and over 3,000 have been shot in the US since the Las Vegas massacre alone.

But that's not a problem, or something.
That is American Sid. As American as obesity. American is GOOD.
Terrsm is EVIL.