The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

the body cams were not off. One officer's body cam was off. There are 128 cameras apparently.

I don't think the PD will be able to sidle this one off.  If they did something wrong, they'll pay.

I wonder though, is this symptomatic of the breakdown of trust, between Police and the Black community, rather than profiling per se.

Bennett is very vocal on the National Anthem thing, the racism in America etc. I wonder did he panic when he saw the cops coming, because he's so attuned to the problems in the rest of the country. He was hardly the only black man there. If he crouched down, and ran when the cops came, and ended up going over a wall with a Police Officer, it's not surprising they were tough on him.

If he was just sitting there, and they did this to him, then they have a lot of questions to answer.

J70

My mistake. It's says the body cam of the arresting officer was switched off.

Well hopefully the rest clearly demonstrate what happened, whatever way it went down.

Puckoon

Quote from: heganboy on September 07, 2017, 01:02:57 PM
Quote from: Gmac on September 07, 2017, 04:29:00 AM
Quote from: Declan on September 06, 2017, 06:40:10 PM
God Bless America - unless you're black

need a bit of context here maybe he matched a description of someone identified as a shooter.

Maybe he did it, and it's all a cunning plot

Saw your post about this last night Gmac and scanned for a news report that suggested this. I could not find one. Is this your report?

whitey

Anyone who's lived here for more than 10 minutes know you just fvckin do what the cops tell you.

There's no pleading, negotiation or plamasing......you MUST obey direct orders from the police

A colleague was showing me a local newspaper article where a wealthy, white woman (and Republican donor too) in his town got tazered twice by a locals cop over a noise complaint at her husbands 40th birthday. 

Whenevr I have been stopped it is "yes officer, no officer, I didn't realize I was going that fast officer". Even if I'm in the right, I go along because there's no point in arguing

AZOffaly

Which is a bit sad when you think about it.

Did you see the woman in Utah, the nurse? That was despicable.

whitey

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2017, 04:51:00 PM

Yes.....that was terrible and he deservedly got fired. Going forward the cops will have less absolute power as everything can now be captured on a cell phone. Really cops are a law unto themselves and that is wrong.

In 25 years living here I haven't had one "bad" interaction with the police, and I think most law abiding people wouldn't have either.  But I'm not black and I don't live in a high crime are, so my experience are very sanitized compared to what someone living in an inner city would have

AZOffaly

I had my 4 years in Arizona and apart from a speeding ticket I never saw anything either. The closest experience I had with them was drinking pints in the Dubliner with a couple of them, and they in uniform!

whitey

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2017, 05:02:08 PM
I had my 4 years in Arizona and apart from a speeding ticket I never saw anything either. The closest experience I had with them was drinking pints in the Dubliner with a couple of them, and they in uniform!

While armed

AZOffaly

Yes, them. Not me :) But then again in Arizona, everyone was armed apart from me :)

Puckoon

This was a very interesting case. I had a little online discussion with a friend and we decided to take it offline and meet in person to talk about it. Her husband is a Sherriff's Deputy and she is a lawyer in the DAs office and very liberal leaning. We disagreed fundamentally on this case.

Like Whitey said - anyone who has lived here for 10 minutes (or anyone with any common sense) should say yes sir right away sir at all times with a police officer. Primarily because as a citizen the police officer's instructions to you MUST be carried out. These are normal instructions in every day life. Pull over, show me your license, get down, put your hands behind your back etc.... No reason for anyone to disobey a law enforcement officer. My friends point of view on this was that no matter how professional and articulate and well trained the nurse was (particularly in the face of a very poorly trained police officer) that her refusal to draw the blood sample was disobedient of the law enforcement officer - and her bigger point was that this emboldens people to continue to be disobedient of law enforcement, which essentially perpetuates the cycle and potentially puts her husband in more danger than his job already entails.

My argument was that this lady wasn't disobeying law enforcement as a citizen, rather as a medical professional in care of a patient. At which stage does the medical professional trump the law enforcement professional? My opinion is as soon as the patient enters the care of the medical professional. I also suggested that its her husbands poorly trained colleagues who are endangering his life - not necessarily this nurse. I saw her point, she saw mine - we moved on.

That being said - many other things for which cops are being bashed around right now, and which ARE perpetuating the civil disobedience of law enforcement are the result of people not doing what they are supposed to do - which is generally comply with the law and instructions of a officer of the law.

Cops have made some major f**k ups at best and there have been some downright atrocious actions, particularly in recent times. There's no shirking that  - but my conversation with this person made me re-consider a lot of the cop bashing that is going on. There are a whole bunch of them out there looking after our communities in many many more ways than there are those who are terrorizing and killing people.

Michael Bennett should have done what he was told. I hope the cop didn't say what he said to him and I do believe (and hope) that this was not racial profiling.

AZOffaly

I agree with all of that. I agree with you about the nurse.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: stew on September 07, 2017, 10:59:30 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 06, 2017, 11:55:27 PM

Eamon you do not know your ass from your elbow son, you really don't, this is so full of liberal opinion it is sickening.

This is what conservatives have come to. Tell them the Earth is not flat and they complain about "liberal bias."

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Puckoon on September 07, 2017, 05:22:52 PM

This was a very interesting case. I had a little online discussion with a friend and we decided to take it offline and meet in person to talk about it. Her husband is a Sherriff's Deputy and she is a lawyer in the DAs office and very liberal leaning. We disagreed fundamentally on this case.

Like Whitey said - anyone who has lived here for 10 minutes (or anyone with any common sense) should say yes sir right away sir at all times with a police officer. Primarily because as a citizen the police officer's instructions to you MUST be carried out. These are normal instructions in every day life. Pull over, show me your license, get down, put your hands behind your back etc.... No reason for anyone to disobey a law enforcement officer. My friends point of view on this was that no matter how professional and articulate and well trained the nurse was (particularly in the face of a very poorly trained police officer) that her refusal to draw the blood sample was disobedient of the law enforcement officer - and her bigger point was that this emboldens people to continue to be disobedient of law enforcement, which essentially perpetuates the cycle and potentially puts her husband in more danger than his job already entails.

My argument was that this lady wasn't disobeying law enforcement as a citizen, rather as a medical professional in care of a patient. At which stage does the medical professional trump the law enforcement professional? My opinion is as soon as the patient enters the care of the medical professional. I also suggested that its her husbands poorly trained colleagues who are endangering his life - not necessarily this nurse. I saw her point, she saw mine - we moved on.

That being said - many other things for which cops are being bashed around right now, and which ARE perpetuating the civil disobedience of law enforcement are the result of people not doing what they are supposed to do - which is generally comply with the law and instructions of a officer of the law.

Cops have made some major f**k ups at best and there have been some downright atrocious actions, particularly in recent times. There's no shirking that  - but my conversation with this person made me re-consider a lot of the cop bashing that is going on. There are a whole bunch of them out there looking after our communities in many many more ways than there are those who are terrorizing and killing people.

Michael Bennett should have done what he was told. I hope the cop didn't say what he said to him and I do believe (and hope) that this was not racial profiling.

I don't buy this doctrine of porcine infallibility. In the UK people argue with cops all the time but at no stage does anyone feel that their life is at risk or that the cop is going to violently assault them and unlawfully arrest them. If cops are above the law then we don't have the rule of law anymore.

Puckoon

I don't buy that comment at all Eammon, no one mentioned infallibility in it's truest sense of the word. I can't believe I am going to write these next words - being somewhat liberal leaning myself but what you just stated is a prime example of an extreme (i.e. infallibile) mixed with an insult (porcine) to make a point which to be honest does little to advance the issues that need to be addressed and is becoming more and more prevalent in liberal discussions. Conversations based in the extreme are the root of many of our problems when it comes to good, honest, political discourse. I've always felt that the liberal point of view was one that is not and should not be rooted in hate, or smugness - but your post below kinda blew that out of the water a little bit.

If a police officer tells me to shoot my wife - I am going to resist, frankly I am scared of her and if I miss I am fucked for the rest of my days.

If a police officer tells me to put my hands up - I am going to comply.

If I get pulled over  - I am going to comply

Law enforcement DOES need to be respected. There's no dancing around that at all.

Eamonnca1

Respect is earned. Respect demanded at gunpoint is not respect. It's terror. In a civilized country we should not be facing a bigger threat from our own police than from jihadists.