The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

I'd be more concerned about the fact that he just scrapped the Obama-era rule to tie federal funding of reconstruction to the inclusion of safeguards against increased flooding and so forth going forward.

I think most people are starting to tune out his pathetic neediness when it comes to the "look at me and my crowds and the hats you can buy on my website" stuff.

Good to see Cruz et al. from Texas/Louisiana getting their hypocrisy regarding Sandy funding thrown back in their faces. Christie and Pete King and other Republicans have been very vocal.

stew

Quote from: J70 on August 30, 2017, 08:18:59 PM
I'd be more concerned about the fact that he just scrapped the Obama-era rule to tie federal funding of reconstruction to the inclusion of safeguards against increased flooding and so forth going forward.

I think most people are starting to tune out his pathetic neediness when it comes to the "look at me and my crowds and the hats you can buy on my website" stuff.

Good to see Cruz et al. from Texas/Louisiana getting their hypocrisy regarding Sandy funding thrown back in their faces. Christie and Pete King and other Republicans have been very vocal.

So North Korea test a nuke, 6.3 on the richter scale, they have the capability of reaching Chicago allegedly, their rhetoric is very aggressive and my question is what does the world do next to shut this **** down? Sanctions, more sanctions or actual bombing of the shithole?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

sid waddell

Quote from: stew on September 03, 2017, 09:13:34 AM

So North Korea test a nuke, 6.3 on the richter scale, they have the capability of reaching Chicago allegedly, their rhetoric is very aggressive and my question is what does the world do next to shut this **** down? Sanctions, more sanctions or actual bombing of the shithole?
Good for North Korea. With an insane, warmongering idiot as US president, it's only prudent for them to take steps to defend themselves.

I'd suggest sanctions on the US only Mr. Trump seems intent on voluntarily imposing such on his own country.

J70

You seriously think Kim Jung Un will strike first?

Just what does he have to gain? North Korea would be wiped out within hours.

This is all about self-preservation and leverage.

CiKe

Quote from: J70 on September 03, 2017, 02:10:33 PM

You seriously think Kim Jung Un will strike first?

Just what does he have to gain? North Korea would be wiped out within hours.

This is all about self-preservation and leverage.

Know f**k all about it, but that would be my take as well. Bannon's quote about not being able to solve the part where 10mn die in Seoul in the first 30 mins is probably not far off the mark. Let's hope Donald doesn't do anything stupid.

stew

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2017, 11:12:25 AM

Good for North Korea. With an insane, warmongering idiot as US president, it's only prudent for them to take steps to defend themselves.

What wars has Trump started Sidley to make him a war monger? You don't give a shite about what is good for the people of north Korea!

I'd suggest sanctions on the US only Mr. Trump seems intent on voluntarily imposing such on his own country.

I do not like Trump, I never liked Trump but I accept the will of the people, democracy and all hat, he won, your candidate lost, get over it sidley. )

heganboy

Stew,
The will of the people, or the result of the electoral college system?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stew

Quote from: heganboy on September 04, 2017, 08:57:11 AM
Stew,

The will of the people, he won based on the rules fair and square, the electoral college system has been an effective way to ensure that the likes of New York and LA do not overly influence the outcome of an election, it helps sell the notion that every vote counts in rural America, Trump won the electoral college votes required to be President, the hag did not and is now running around the country telling people why she lost, problem is all she need do is look in the mirror, but she is too arrogant to be accountable.

The liberals effed up, Saunders should have been their candidate and he would have rolled over Trump, but no, they, as usual cheated and shot themselves in the foot, and now we all get to live Trumps Presidency, hanks democrats you steaming pile of horse shit!

AZOffaly

The 'Electoral College' argument is the biggest red herring ever. He played the rules, and spent money in states he knew he had a chance in, and calculated the amount of votes he needed.

I said it last November, and I'll say it again now. If the Democrats think that they can wish it all better by complaining about the system, or sneering at the lad that won, then they will sleep walk into another mess in 3 years time. They owe it to their country and to the world to stop that happening. Trump is a dangerous lunatic, and if they don't heed what they've been told about disconnecting from the people in those states they turn their nose up at, they will allow Trump mark 2, or Trump himself to walk back into the Whitehouse.

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 04, 2017, 10:39:27 AM
The 'Electoral College' argument is the biggest red herring ever. He played the rules, and spent money in states he knew he had a chance in, and calculated the amount of votes he needed.

I said it last November, and I'll say it again now. If the Democrats think that they can wish it all better by complaining about the system, or sneering at the lad that won, then they will sleep walk into another mess in 3 years time. They owe it to their country and to the world to stop that happening. Trump is a dangerous lunatic, and if they don't heed what they've been told about disconnecting from the people in those states they turn their nose up at, they will allow Trump mark 2, or Trump himself to walk back into the Whitehouse.

Who is Trump 2?

AZOffaly

I don't know, but if Trump doesn't run, there will be someone like him if they think they can get elected on a similar platform.

J70

Quote from: stew on September 04, 2017, 09:44:31 AM
Stew,

The will of the people, he won based on the rules fair and square, the electoral college system has been an effective way to ensure that the likes of New York and LA do not overly influence the outcome of an election, it helps sell the notion that every vote counts in rural America, Trump won the electoral college votes required to be President, the hag did not and is now running around the country telling people why she lost, problem is all she need do is look in the mirror, but she is too arrogant to be accountable.

The liberals effed up, Saunders should have been their candidate and he would have rolled over Trump, but no, they, as usual cheated and shot themselves in the foot, and now we all get to live Trumps Presidency, hanks democrats you steaming pile of horse shit!

For about the tenth time stew, just how was Sanders cheated out of the nomination? What act(s) were committed that made the difference in him winning and losing?

And how are Democrats to blame for Trump? The people of your political ilk i.e. Republicans, are the ones who chose him in the primaries and then voted for him, despite the evidence that he is possibly the most bill-equipped person to ever run for the office and an utterly shameful person.

Trump's childishness, untruthfulness, lack of character and core beliefs or philosophy, immorality, narcissism and contempt for anyone or anything that declined to service him personally above all, were highly visible during the campaign. You lot (i.e. conservatives) chose him, not us. And now you're all (or at least those with any intelligence and decency) dealing with buyer's remorse.

easytiger95

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 04, 2017, 10:39:27 AM

In one way, it may not be a red herring. Whilst I think the electoral college is an outdated system, it is the same for both candidates. However, one of the really interesting strands of the Russian investigation is the relationship between Cambridge Analytical and Russian non-state and state actors. Basic run down is that whilst Cambridge knew where potential Trump swing voters were, they didn't have the large resources necessary to effectively target them. The 300 pound guy in the New Jersey bedroom was actually an army of hackers and bots, spread out across the former Soviet republics, working with Cambridge data to clog up Facebook and twitter feeds of swing voters with fake news. Yet to be proven, but (apart from the money laundering angle) it is one of the only theories I have seen which actually gives a credible motivation to the Trump campaign for any possible collusion with Russian sources. If it is true (again yet to be proven) the 72000 voters across the three states that delivered the win for Trump in the EC, were knobbled by foreign actors.

Could turn out to be nothing of course, but, increasingly the 2016 election is looking like the 1988 100 metres in Seoul.

whitey

Stew,

The system is the system and it was the same for each candidate

The Democrats actually have a huge advantage when it comes to the electoral college......just shows what a monumental fvck up the Clinton campaign was

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-2016-race-an-electoral-college-edge-for-democrats/2015/03/15/855f2792-cb3c-11e4-a2a7-9517a3a70506_story.html?utm_term=.b0a91a499977

Kickham csc

Quote from: J70 on September 04, 2017, 12:43:50 PM
Quote from: stew on September 04, 2017, 09:44:31 AM
Stew,

For about the tenth time stew, just how was Sanders cheated out of the nomination? What act(s) were committed that made the difference in him winning and losing?

And how are Democrats to blame for Trump? The people of your political ilk i.e. Republicans, are the ones who chose him in the primaries and then voted for him, despite the evidence that he is possibly the most bill-equipped person to ever run for the office and an utterly shameful person.

Trump's childishness, untruthfulness, lack of character and core beliefs or philosophy, immorality, narcissism and contempt for anyone or anything that declined to service him personally above all, were highly visible during the campaign. You lot (i.e. conservatives) chose him, not us. And now you're all (or at least those with any intelligence and decency) dealing with buyer's remorse.

The DNC were being sued due to them not running a fair election. Think it boils down to Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a key Clinton supporter, who is alleged to have obstructed the Saunders campaign. One of the big claims was that she blocked Saunders campaign receiving state democratic member lists, but was providing them to HC. This meant that he was unable to target primary voters in the same way as Hillary was.

A judge ruled out the claim (but said that insufficient evidence was presented, so not necessarily getting the DNC off the hook).

What about this from a quote credited to the DNC (From a news article coving the lawsuit)
"The DNC's response to the suit also rightfully upset mainline progressives: Earlier this year, lawyers for the DNC astoundingly argued that the committee was not bound by law to hold fair elections, a claim that — although potentially true — didn't endear anyone to their cause.

During a hearing for the case in April, DNC lawyer Bruce Spiva argued that the committee's impartiality rule is "a discretionary rule that [the DNC] didn't need to adopt to begin with" and that any rules the DNC allegedly breaks is a private matter. Though most legal analysts argued this was probably legally sound, it certainly does not dispel rumors that the party is an oligarchic behemoth too far removed from the concerns of ordinary people.

Notably, Judge Zloch didn't rule that it's impossible to sue the DNC for fraud — just that the Becks likely didn't do enough to prove their case