The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 17, 2017, 04:16:09 PM
The assault on knowledge, facts, science and human decency continues.

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget has released a budget "blueprint" which outlines substantial cuts in both basic research and applied technology funding.

The proposal includes a whopping 18% reduction in National Institutes of Health medical research. NIH does get a new $500 million fund to track emerging infectious agents like Zika in the U.S., but loses its funding to monitor those agents overseas. The Department of Energy's research programs also get an 18% cut in research, potentially affecting basic physics research, high energy physics, fusion research, and supercomputing. Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA-E) gets the ax, as does the Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing Program, which enabled Tesla to manufacture its Model S sedan.

EPA loses all climate research funding, and about half the research funding targeted at human health impacts of pollution. The Energy Star program is eliminated; Superfund funding is drastically reduced. The Chesapeake Bay and Great Lakes cleanup programs are also eliminated, as is all screening of pesticides for endocrine disruption.

In the Department of Commerce, Sea Grant is eliminated, along with all coastal zone research funding. Existing weather satellites GOES and JPSS continue funding, but JPSS-3 and -4 appear to be getting the ax. Support for transfer of federally funded research and technology to small and mid-sized manufacturers is eliminated. NASA gets a slight trim, and a new focus on deep space exploration paid for by an elimination of Earth Science programs.

You can read more about this "blueprint" in Nature, Science, and the Washington Post, which broke the story.

The Environmental Protection Agency, the State Department and Agriculture Department took the hardest hits, while the Defense Department, Department of Homeland Security, and Department of Veterans Affairs have seen their budgets grow.

I would say let him go all in on this ignorant, know-nothing approach, but the problem will be getting this stuff back up and running again even if he's kicked out on his arse in 2020.

Eamonnca1

Yup. It took Obama just about the full 8 years to undo the damage Bush did

stew

Quote from: seafoid on March 17, 2017, 06:03:59 AM
Quote from: foxcommander on March 16, 2017, 08:25:35 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 16, 2017, 06:53:55 PM
I don't know whether to put this in the What the f**k thread or here

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/my-new-friend-a-great-guy-president-trump-full-of-praise-for-taoiseach-as-he-confirms-he-will-visit-ireland-35537632.html

Enda certainly put him in his place. Just goes to show how foolish Fine Gael publicly backing the democrats was.

Kenny going in to bat for undocumented irish in the states is embarrassing. If they are illegal they should be turfed out. No question. The government wants them to stay in the US I bet as they can't afford people returning.
Some of the posters on this site are illegals, Foxy.
You are a disgrace

Hardly, who gives a shit about some on here being illegal, are we supposed to change our opinion just because it might offend an illegal immigrant because what? He is Irish?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 17, 2017, 05:31:31 PM

Obama was a disaster Eamon.

seafoid

Quote from: stew on March 18, 2017, 10:21:00 AM

Obama was a disaster Eamon.
Obama was mediocre but within normal ranges. Trump is appalling. One of the biggest problems in US politics  is the state of the GOP. The party is broken.

Cunny Funt

Indeed it did and people thought Bush junior was bad.. I already pity the next president that will have to try to clean up the mess that Trump will leave behind.

stew

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 18, 2017, 02:14:24 PM
Indeed it did and people thought Bush junior was bad.. I already pity the next president that will have to try to clean up the mess that Trump will leave behind.

obama was useless for the most part, useless and weak.

J70

Getting back to citizens not understanding risk...

Hardy

Excellent! More from the same stable:

screenexile

So the FBI says Russia wanted to hurt Democracy, hurt Clinton and help Trump . . . interesting stuff!!

Still doesn't explain Comey's nothing statement days before the election that they were looking into Hillary again even though they had nothing. It's a start though.

foxcommander

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on March 20, 2017, 06:01:40 PM
So actual proof of attempts to influence the election is finally uncovered. Outrage please liberals.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/17/brazile-admits-forwarded-debate-questions-to-clinton-camp.html

I thought this was already established??

Besides, WTF do you care? It was an in-house Democratic affair, which purportedly harmed the ultra liberal in the race! ;)

Looks bad, shows corruption on her part (and I'm sure pissed CNN off!), but its overblown as f**k, in my opinion, in terms of actual effect on anything. If this is Brazile trying to influence a debate, she needs to try harder.

I mean, is anyone really suggesting that Clinton (or Sanders) would not armed with knowledge and an answer on the lead contamination in Flint in a debate taking place in Flint at the very time that the contamination was a leading national news story?

Or that ANYONE (even Trump!) running for president wouldn't have off by heart their answer on a death penalty question?

Seriously?

J70

Quote from: screenexile on March 20, 2017, 04:48:15 PM
So the FBI says Russia wanted to hurt Democracy, hurt Clinton and help Trump . . . interesting stuff!!

Still doesn't explain Comey's nothing statement days before the election that they were looking into Hillary again even though they had nothing. It's a start though.

Trump and the boys are worried though, judging by his tweeting yesterday and Spicer's ludicrous Comical Ali style statement that Trump's campaign manager was only tangentially connected to the campaign! ;D

J70

seafoid