The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

seafoid

1.   Bill de Blasio ‏@NYCMayor 5 déc.
Officer Aml Elsokary – one of 900 Muslim-Americans in the NYPD – was attacked because of her faith. We stand with her. #AlwaysNewYork

1.   Ronald Klain ‏@RonaldKlain 6 déc.
This is not "normal:" Today, Trump tweeted cancellation of a contract, employing thousands, after reading that Boeing had criticized him.

seafoid

Quote from: Oraisteach on December 08, 2016, 05:04:33 AM
Stew, I don't know what happened to you over the last couple of years, but whatever it was, it has had a very bad effect on your personality.  You were once gregarious, cheerful and generous, but now you are perpetually angry.  I am concerned about your welfare and hope things improve for you and that someone is helping you.

I can't project what Trump will do, but potentially he is very dangerous.  His xenophobic rants are alarming.  He has spoken of rounding up millions of people, essentially interning them first before deporting them, a campaign promise that has prompted his sidekick, Newt Gingrich, to suggest opening internment camps like the ones used to corral the Japanese-Americans in WWII.  You'll recall, I imagine, that prior to exterminating 6 million Jews, Hitler built concentration camps and created ghettoes. I don't believe that Trump will exterminate people, but he is a loose cannon with a hair-trigger temper, so anything's possible.  He has spoken, too, of creating a registry of Muslims.  Hitler kept a registry of Jews.

You have noticed, I'm sure, that hate crimes have increased since his election and that white supremacists feel emboldened to recruit, assemble and intimidate. Swastikas are appearing on mosques, and churches that welcome LGBT worshipers have been daubed with offensive language. You'll remember that these are the sort of things that preceded Kristallnacht in 1938.
I am alarmed, too, that Trump appears not to read, is geo-politically illiterate, and gleans his "information" from discredited websites like Breitbart and Drudge, and I am further distressed that he holds the serious press (e.g. NYT, Washington Post) in such low regard and wishes to loosen libel laws so that they will feel coerced not to write anything derogatory about him.  You have seen how irate he is at the SNL sketches that poke fun at him. He cannot abide satire.  I am seriously worried about freedom of the press and am concerned for the welfare of journalists, hatred for whom he perpetually stirs up at his rallies.  You remember that under Hitler all media—books, newspapers, films, public events—were censored if they were thought to present opposing viewpoints.

I am alarmed, too, that Donald Trump is an advocate of torture and wishes to expand its use, not to mention the fact that he has openly expressed support for war crimes, e.g. bombing civilians.  You'll recollect the Nuremberg Trials, designed to bring Nazi war criminals to justice.

You ask if he will kill millions, Stew.  I don't know, but I am alarmed that, like a kid at Christmas, he is fascinated by weapons, only in this case nuclear ones, and he wonders why, if we have them, we don't use them.  And I'm afraid that he seems intent on nuclear proliferation, e.g. that Japan and Saudi Arabia should have them.  You remember, I've no doubt, that Hitler was fascinated by weapons and expanded Germany's military power. Just as Trump wishes to do.

And he is a compulsive liar.  I am alarmed that people can't tell that he's lying or, worse yet, don't care.  Think back to Goebbels, Hitler's propaganda minister, who said, "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."  Trump has succeeded in doing just that.

Stew, I could expound at length on this topic, but it wouldn't matter.  You have your mind made up, and in this post-fact society that we inhabit, you won't let evidence get in the way of passion.

Seriously, though, take care of yourself.  And if you happen to be on Facebook, check out 1970s ARMAGH MEMORIES. You'll undoubtedly know some of the people.  And if you ever do go home to Armagh, when you stop in to Devlin's for a pint, think of me because I can't ever go home again.
Ar fheabhas , Oraisteach
Very sorry to hear that you can't go back.

Trump is a car crash.

sid waddell

Quote from: gallsman on December 08, 2016, 04:08:29 AM
Linda f**king McMahon appointed to cabinet. Everyone glossing over trump's biggest achievement. He'll be the first POTUS to be a member of the WWE Hall of Fame.
Ted DiBiase must be fuming he didn't get Treasury Secretary.

He's certainly more qualified than most of Trump's cabinet picks.

J70

It's rather amusing that stew is railing against Hillary as "corrupt" and a "liar" while trying to rub in that a man who has admitted to engaging in corruption of politics over and over, and is possibly the most ignorant, blatant liar ever to run for the office, is president-elect!

J70

Quote from: sid waddell on December 08, 2016, 12:45:14 PM
Linda f**king McMahon appointed to cabinet. Everyone glossing over trump's biggest achievement. He'll be the first POTUS to be a member of the WWE Hall of Fame.

EPA appointee a shill of oil and gas and a climate denier. I wonder will Trump actually have the gall to shut the EPA down as he has threatened? Pollution and toxic exposure does begin and end at state lines after all. He may make the Dems period in opposition nice and easy.

sid waddell

Quote from: J70 on December 08, 2016, 02:40:10 PM

EPA appointee a shill of oil and gas and a climate denier. I wonder will Trump actually have the gall to shut the EPA down as he has threatened? Pollution and toxic exposure does begin and end at state lines after all. He may make the Dems period in opposition nice and easy.

I was listening on the INTERNET yesterday to America's MOST LISTENED TO conservative talk show host, Bush Brightshaw, and he had some very interesting things to say.

Very persuasive things.

For decades now the liberal consensus has claimed smoking is bad for your health.

But who is saying this and why? 

Politically correct, biased liberal academia, that's who.

A recent independent report commissioned by the Association of American Tobacco Manufacturers (AATM) revealed some very interesting conclusions. Not only did they find NO correlation between smoking and poor health, but they found there may actually be a correlation between smoking and good health.

The debate will continue, but what we do know is that the science is far from clear.

Some scientists say smoking is bad for your health, some scientists say it's good for your health. I guess the truth is that we just don't know yet.

But people are right to be sceptical.

Tobacco is a natural substance. How can a natural substance be bad for your health? Common sense tells us that's impossible.

I was talking to a 100 year old woman yesterday, my granny. She has smoked for most of her life. So how can smoking be bad for you?

Look, all we can ask is that the liberal media be balanced on the subject. We need fair treatment for tobacco manufacturers and a fair, balanced debate on the merits of smoking.

What we don't need is to listen to biased, liberal doctors who have a clear vested interest in saying smoking is bad for your health.

What are people's thoughts on the subject?

Bush Brightshaw

seafoid

I read an article recently about environmental damage in Louisiana which is strongly GOP. Houses that had to be abandoned because a well collapsed and took nearby land with it. Kids sick with a mystery illness. Environmental regulations are for pussies.

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on December 08, 2016, 02:58:11 PM

I read an article recently about environmental damage in Louisiana which is strongly GOP. Houses that had to be abandoned because a well collapsed and took nearby land with it. Kids sick with a mystery illness. Environmental regulations are for pussies.
Environmental regulations destroy freedom.

As Jeremy Hopkiss says, "you can't spell environmentalist without mentalist".

Declan

QuoteAs Jeremy Hopkiss says, "you can't spell environmentalist without mentalist".

Love it

omochain

Quote from: Oraisteach on December 08, 2016, 05:04:33 AM
Stew, I don't know what happened to you over the last couple of years, but whatever it was, it has had a very bad effect on your personality.  You were once gregarious, cheerful and generous, but now you are perpetually angry.  I am concerned about your welfare and hope things improve for you and that someone is helping you.

I can't project what Trump will do, but potentially he is very dangerous.  His xenophobic rants are alarming.  He has spoken of rounding up millions of people, essentially interning them first before deporting them, a campaign promise that has prompted his sidekick, Newt Gingrich, to suggest opening internment camps like the ones used to corral the Japanese-Americans in WWII.  You'll recall, I imagine, that prior to exterminating 6 million Jews, Hitler built concentration camps and created ghettoes. I don't believe that Trump will exterminate people, but he is a loose cannon with a hair-trigger temper, so anything's possible.  He has spoken, too, of creating a registry of Muslims.  Hitler kept a registry of Jews.

You have noticed, I'm sure, that hate crimes have increased since his election and that white supremacists feel emboldened to recruit, assemble and intimidate. Swastikas are appearing on mosques, and churches that welcome LGBT worshipers have been daubed with offensive language. You'll remember that these are the sort of things that preceded Kristallnacht in 1938.
I am alarmed, too, that Trump appears not to read, is geo-politically illiterate, and gleans his "information" from discredited websites like Breitbart and Drudge, and I am further distressed that he holds the serious press (e.g. NYT, Washington Post) in such low regard and wishes to loosen libel laws so that they will feel coerced not to write anything derogatory about him.  You have seen how irate he is at the SNL sketches that poke fun at him. He cannot abide satire.  I am seriously worried about freedom of the press and am concerned for the welfare of journalists, hatred for whom he perpetually stirs up at his rallies.  You remember that under Hitler all media—books, newspapers, films, public events—were censored if they were thought to present opposing viewpoints.

I am alarmed, too, that Donald Trump is an advocate of torture and wishes to expand its use, not to mention the fact that he has openly expressed support for war crimes, e.g. bombing civilians.  You'll recollect the Nuremberg Trials, designed to bring Nazi war criminals to justice.

You ask if he will kill millions, Stew.  I don't know, but I am alarmed that, like a kid at Christmas, he is fascinated by weapons, only in this case nuclear ones, and he wonders why, if we have them, we don't use them.  And I'm afraid that he seems intent on nuclear proliferation, e.g. that Japan and Saudi Arabia should have them.  You remember, I've no doubt, that Hitler was fascinated by weapons and expanded Germany's military power. Just as Trump wishes to do.

And he is a compulsive liar.  I am alarmed that people can't tell that he's lying or, worse yet, don't care.  Think back to Goebbels, Hitler's propaganda minister, who said, "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."  Trump has succeeded in doing just that.

Stew, I could expound at length on this topic, but it wouldn't matter.  You have your mind made up, and in this post-fact society that we inhabit, you won't let evidence get in the way of passion.

Seriously, though, take care of yourself.  And if you happen to be on Facebook, check out 1970s ARMAGH MEMORIES. You'll undoubtedly know some of the people.  And if you ever do go home to Armagh, when you stop in to Devlin's for a pint, think of me because I can't ever go home again.

Well said Oraisteach.
I hope that circumstances change and you can buy yourself a pint in Devlin's soon. if you let me know when you get home I will buy the second one.

Oraisteach