Quote from: seafoid on November 30, 2016, 12:27:03 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 30, 2016, 12:21:17 AM
Steve Mnuchin to be Treasury Secretary.

"Drain that swamp!"

Who's in the pocket of Goldman Sachs again?  ;D

Biggest fraud in the history of the US
Watch the last ad again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vST61W4bGm8

Trump will remove Financial regulation and the economy will have the biggest crash in the history of the US

Goldman hasn't been able to generate a 10% rate of return for 2 years.

Stop it Foid!

Nothing will ever touch the Wall Street crash of 29.

Again the man has not even taken office yet, I am still hoping he decides to stay with his own companies and decides to step down.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

screenexile

Quote from: stew on November 30, 2016, 09:31:35 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 30, 2016, 12:27:03 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 30, 2016, 12:21:17 AM
Steve Mnuchin to be Treasury Secretary.

"Drain that swamp!"

Who's in the pocket of Goldman Sachs again?  ;D

Biggest fraud in the history of the US
Watch the last ad again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vST61W4bGm8

Trump will remove Financial regulation and the economy will have the biggest crash in the history of the US

Goldman hasn't been able to generate a 10% rate of return for 2 years.

Stop it Foid!

Nothing will ever touch the Wall Street crash of 29.

Again the man has not even taken office yet, I am still hoping he decides to stay with his own companies and decides to step down.

No chance, he's going to use the Presidency as a business development tool sure he already is!!!

Republicans too afraid to mention the conflict of interest when it's staring them in the face!

Declan

screenexile

easytiger95

Good read Declan. However there is a an argument to be had about pandering to one demographic's alternate reality - whilst I agree with her point that stable, solid jobs are essential to the White Working Class rather than piecemeal measures like minimum wage hikes, too much of this need is expressed as a nostalgia for the types of heavy manufacture, heavily masculine jobs from the 50's, 60's and early 70's.

This is an economic wonderland that is not coming back - not just because of globalism, but because the type of society it created needed a permanent underclass, which under Civil Rights, is just not tenable anymore.

As much as coastal elites need to listen to the despair, the WWC need to realise that going back is not a way to assuage that despair. Trump's promises to the coal miners of PA, West VA and other places, and the heavy manufacturing belts in the Rust Belt are impossible to fulfil. As much as a new path to solid employment must be mapped out by the elites, these communities need to accept that change needs to come in how they define work.

muppet

Quote from: easytiger95 on November 30, 2016, 12:13:00 PM
Good read Declan. However there is a an argument to be had about pandering to one demographic's alternate reality - whilst I agree with her point that stable, solid jobs are essential to the White Working Class rather than piecemeal measures like minimum wage hikes, too much of this need is expressed as a nostalgia for the types of heavy manufacture, heavily masculine jobs from the 50's, 60's and early 70's.

This is an economic wonderland that is not coming back - not just because of globalism, but because the type of society it created needed a permanent underclass, which under Civil Rights, is just not tenable anymore.

As much as coastal elites need to listen to the despair, the WWC need to realise that going back is not a way to assuage that despair. Trump's promises to the coal miners of PA, West VA and other places, and the heavy manufacturing belts in the Rust Belt are impossible to fulfil. As much as a new path to solid employment must be mapped out by the elites, these communities need to accept that change needs to come in how they define work.

The turkeys decided they have had enough of Christmas and voted for Thanksgiving.
MWWSI 2017

sid waddell

The part I've bolded in your post is undeniably true.

Yet the article contains the following passage:

Trump's blunt talk taps into another blue-collar value: straight talk. "Directness is a working-class norm," notes Lubrano. As one blue-collar guy told him, "If you have a problem with me, come talk to me. If you have a way you want something done, come talk to me. I don't like people who play these two-faced games." Straight talk is seen as requiring manly courage, not being "a total wuss and a wimp," an electronics technician told Lamont. Of course Trump appeals. Clinton's clunky admission that she talks one way in public and another in private? Further proof she's a two-faced phony.

What Trump says is not directness, straight talk or "telling it like it is" (a wonderful right-wing cliche).

It's the exact opposite - being a two-faced phoney.

J70

Quote from: sid waddell on November 30, 2016, 12:46:07 PM

Trump's blunt talk taps into another blue-collar value: straight talk. "Directness is a working-class norm," notes Lubrano. As one blue-collar guy told him, "If you have a problem with me, come talk to me. If you have a way you want something done, come talk to me. I don't like people who play these two-faced games." Straight talk is seen as requiring manly courage, not being "a total wuss and a wimp," an electronics technician told Lamont. Of course Trump appeals. Clinton's clunky admission that she talks one way in public and another in private? Further proof she's a two-faced phony.

What Trump says is not directness, straight talk or "telling it like it is" (a wonderful right-wing cliche).

Well, at least he's telling them what they want to hear.

Colbert used to call it "truthiness".

sid waddell

Quote from: J70 on November 30, 2016, 12:55:55 PM

But it does rather destroy the notion of the white working class valuing "straight talk".

johnneycool

Quote from: sid waddell on November 30, 2016, 01:04:48 PM

But it does rather destroy the notion of the white working class valuing "straight talk".

She did mention WWC and their disdain for professionals (I'll lump career politicians in here as well) but they have a respect for self made ( if you don't consider Daddy's loans) men like Trump and you get the impression Trump played them like a Banjo and they probably knew it but couldn't bring themselves to vote for Hillary.

Change at all costs it seems!

Kickham csc

Quote from: muppet on November 30, 2016, 12:19:58 PM

The turkeys decided they have had enough of Christmas and voted for Thanksgiving.

The part that many find hard to stomach is not just the death of their jobs, but that it was linked directly to international trade deals.

The most significant deal was the China one, 1 million manufacturing jobs lost after it.

Anybody who has had any experience with Chinese manufacturing, a couple of observations can be made

• [/China adherence to employee conditions (or lack of)
    China's commitment to quality (or lack off) li]
    China's commitment to environmental conditions (or lack of)
So Chinese companies cut corners and costs, child labor, environmental, quality standards nowhere near US standards, and the government signed a trade deal that opened up the US market to them. So US manufacturing workers are held to a higher standard are competing against a lower cost structure due to different standards being applied to them.

These jobs might not come back, but future jobs should be protected with trade deals that put US manufacturing on an equal footing.

Regarding jobs, these people want to work, so has the government put in-place incentives for companies to relocate to these areas??? If not, why not? That's a major issue that Trump needs to address (corp tax rate of 15% would be a big help)

And BTW, this is not a white issue, this is an issue that crosses racial divide. During this election, the white areas decided that this was the important topic, but resolving this issues for African American

screenexile

As has been noted though they don't see the part where he doesn't mean it. All they see is him talking out his ass but then don't read the paper/watch CNN the next day to realise it was a complete load of horsehit!

seafoid

Angry bluecollar voters don't understand the system.  American companies shafted their workers by exporting jobs to China but it was fabulous for shareholders.
American companies shafted voters by gutting Financial regulation and the bill came with Lehman but it was fabulous for shareholders when the Fed refloated  the bubble.

Profits as a % of GDP are now 20%. Labour share of GDP has been flat for years.

And now Trump has a Goldman person as Treasury sec who will kill Dodd Frank.

But obviously the problem is Muslims.

sid waddell

Quote from: screenexile on November 30, 2016, 02:49:10 PM

As has been noted though they don't see the part where he doesn't mean it. All they see is him talking out his ass but then don't read the paper/watch CNN the next day to realise it was a complete load of horsehit!
"Straight talk" in politics is a euphemism for complex problems being explained in simplistic ways. Simplistic explanations cannot explain complex things and distort reality by telling people what they want to hear, so they aren't straight talk at all.

Complex, nuanced explanations, which involve an investment of some time to understand, but are often not what people want to hear, are derided as "phoniness".

But complex, nuanced explanations and arguments can also be dressed up to cloak absolute bullshit.

So:
"Straight talk" = phoniness
Complex, nuanced explanations can = real straight talk
but
"Complex, nuanced explanations" can also = barefaced lies

Quote from: seafoid on November 30, 2016, 02:52:37 PM

Profits as a % of GDP are now 20%. Labour share of GDP has been flat for years.

And now Trump has a Goldman person as Treasury sec who will kill Dodd Frank.

But obviously the problem is Muslims.
Muslims are only interested in prophets which means the ordinary blue collar white guy loses his job. Therefore Muslims are the problem.