The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 14, 2016, 04:44:54 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 14, 2016, 04:25:41 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 14, 2016, 04:22:08 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 14, 2016, 03:03:15 PM
I think what he's saying is these concerns are concerns that are honestly held. And instead of telling them they are stupid concerns, the democrats should have tried to address them. Telling them they are redneck hicks didn't work out so well.

How do you "address" the woman who doesn't like gay marriage or the White House celebration of it?

How do you address the concerns about illegal immigrants overwhelming the country's social services?

How do you address the people who think Obama is a foreign born Muslim or that the BLS is making up job statistics?

How do you address the Jade Helm people or those who think the Confederate flag is a righteous symbol or climate change is a hoax?

How do you do all that when have the other party and their nominee telling them their fears are well founded and doing all they can to foment and exploit them?

The "war on Christmas" will be starting in a week or two. What's the appropriate response to that?

You talk to them. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean you ridicule them from a position where you believe they are too stupid to be taken seriously. You have to show them there is another way to protect them than banning all muslims, or building walls.

It's a very silly error to just discount the worries because you can't be bothered to try and talk to them. Show them the alternative view. Show them why they have nothing to fear. Obviously that wasn't done well enough.

And therein lies the problem.....J70 gave you the views of those on the extreme, but there are also dissenting voices that are much more moderate and reasonable and those people get dismissed and ridiculed in an equally odious manner.

I gave some extreme, some mainstream examples.

You think the lady pissed off about the rainbow colours or the dude complaining about all the brown skinned Spanish speakers at the welfare office are extreme? The climate change "skeptics"? Those whining about the war on xmas?

I would add though, that the Governor of Texas was among those promoting the Jade Helm conspiracy nonsense. And the President Elect, the birther horseshit.

Are they extremists?

Declan

51% of Trump's tax cuts go to the top 1%; only 0.8% go to the bottom 20% - interesting times ahead

Declan

Oh Irony ;)

Pence pushes for email privacy
By MATTHEW NUSSBAUM 11/14/16 11:04 AM EST
Vice President-elect Mike Pence is seeking to keep secret the contents of an email relating to Indiana's participation, at his behest, in a lawsuit to block President Barack Obama's executive actions on immigration.

Pence's administration brought in an outside law firm to join the litigation, which was spearheaded by Texas Gov. Greg Abbot. The move prompted one Indianapolis lawyer to request documents related to the decision to bring in outside counsel.

Per the article: "Pence produced the documents in the request 'but those documents included substantial redaction,' according to court documents. The 57-page response also included an email that Daniel Hodge, Abbott's chief of staff, sent to 30 recipients in various states asking them to join the lawsuit against Obama. The message included an attached white paper, but the governor failed to produce the document, according to court records. After a yearlong trial, the Superior Court held that the issue was not a matter for the courts to decide, citing a Indiana Supreme Court case decided just days before."

Pence's efforts, so far upheld by state courts, were highlighted in an Indianapolis Star article Monday.

The effort to shield an email from public scrutiny follows an election in which Hillary Clinton's campaign was hounded by her use of a private email server while serving at the State Department — a move that was criticized as both a security risk and a blow against transparency.

The decision was appealed, and the Indiana Court of Appeals is set to hear oral arguments in Indianapolis on Nov. 21.

seafoid

Quote from: Declan on November 14, 2016, 05:16:54 PM
51% of Trump's tax cuts go to the top 1%; only 0.8% go to the bottom 20% - interesting times ahead

You would wonder how long it will take for bluecollar USA to realise it was all a piss take.  Especially the final video.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 14, 2016, 04:29:43 PM
And by the way, I'm not saying there are not some unreasonable, far right wing nut jobs that you cannot reason with, just like the pinko lefties that would have us all eating nuts and hugging trees. There is a large middle ground of reasonable people with genuine fears, and the people that talk to them, reasonably, would have a great chance of doing well. The more you discount their fears, the more you push them towards the right, and towards someone like a Trump.

I said before, I think Bernie Sanders would have won that election by a mile.
Bannon fed their fears with hatred and lies and fraud 
Now he is head of strategy.
A long way from that shining city on the hill.

whitey

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/14/politics/bernie-sanders-humiliated-democrats-loss-working-class-voters/index.html?sr=fbpol111416bernie-sanders-humiliated-democrats-loss-working-class-voters0600PMVODtopLink&linkId=31135460

Donald Trump "very effectively" tapped into "the anger and angst and pain that many working class people are feeling," the Vermont independent senator who challenged Clinton in the Democratic primary said on "CBS This Morning."

"I think that there needs to be a profound change in the way the Democratic Party does business," Sanders said. "It is not good enough to have a liberal elite. I come from the white working class, and I am deeply humiliated that the Democratic Party cannot talk to where I came from."

Don't  take my word for it..... is his is what Bernie said

muppet

Quote from: whitey on November 14, 2016, 06:10:36 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/14/politics/bernie-sanders-humiliated-democrats-loss-working-class-voters/index.html?sr=fbpol111416bernie-sanders-humiliated-democrats-loss-working-class-voters0600PMVODtopLink&linkId=31135460

Donald Trump "very effectively" tapped into "the anger and angst and pain that many working class people are feeling," the Vermont independent senator who challenged Clinton in the Democratic primary said on "CBS This Morning."

"I think that there needs to be a profound change in the way the Democratic Party does business," Sanders said. "It is not good enough to have a liberal elite. I come from the white working class, and I am deeply humiliated that the Democratic Party cannot talk to where I came from."

You can keep trying to take the focus off Trump, but you are going to find this more and more difficult as time passes.

The election is over, Clinton, lost, Sanders lost and a all of the other Republicans lost.

It is now ALL ABOUT TRUMP, just the way he likes it.
MWWSI 2017

stew

Quote from: whitey on November 14, 2016, 06:10:36 PM

I would have loved him to have beaten  those two bastards.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

whitey

Quote from: muppet on November 14, 2016, 04:15:50 PM
https://mediamatters.org/blog/2016/11/14/conspiracy-theorist-alex-jones-says-president-elect-trump-called-thank-his-audience/214424

Surely this isn't true.

......Conspiracy theorist radio host Alex Jones, who believes the government was involved in the 9/11 attacks, numerous school shootings, and the Oklahoma City bombing, says President-elect Donald Trump personally called him to "thank" Jones' audience for its support during the campaign. According to Jones, Trump said he plans to appear on Jones' radio show "in the next few weeks."...

The "country club Republicans" have had their heads handed to them. 

No more playing nice in the sandbox like Mr Romney did. 

Win at all costs, fight fire with fire, cue ball in a sock, brass knuckles.....whatever it takes to win

Thats the Republican Party of Mr Trump and its going to make life very uncomfortable for some people

seafoid

Among those welcoming Mr Bannon's appointment was David Duke, the former Ku Klux Klan leader. "You have an individual, Mr Bannon, who's basically creating the ideological aspects of where we're going," Mr Duke told CNN. "And ideology ultimately is the most important aspect of any government."

seafoid

I think what he's saying is these concerns are concerns that are honestly held. And instead of telling them they are stupid concerns, the democrats should have tried to address them. Telling them they are redneck hicks didn't work out so well.

How do you "address" the woman who doesn't like gay marriage or the White House celebration of it?

How do you address the concerns about illegal immigrants overwhelming the country's social services?

How do you address the people who think Obama is a foreign born Muslim or that the BLS is making up job statistics?

How do you address the Jade Helm people or those who think the Confederate flag is a righteous symbol or climate change is a hoax?

How do you do all that when have the other party and their nominee telling them their fears are well founded and doing all they can to foment and exploit them?

The "war on Christmas" will be starting in a week or two. What's the appropriate response to that?

You talk to them. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean you ridicule them from a position where you believe they are too stupid to be taken seriously. You have to show them there is another way to protect them than banning all muslims, or building walls.

It's a very silly error to just discount the worries because you can't be bothered to try and talk to them. Show them the alternative view. Show them why they have nothing to fear. Obviously that wasn't done well enough.
AZ, Nazis have to be destroyed. That is the lesson of WW2.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 14, 2016, 04:45:24 PM
Quote from: Clov on November 14, 2016, 04:39:14 PM
There's an old saying about elections that 'something beats nothing'. I think that was very true of this election. The Clinton campaign was too much focused on Trump and his shortcomings and did not have enough of a positive story to tell. It was a defensive campaign that gave the impression of someone scared to lose. Bernie would have offered an alternative vision and imo probably would have won.

That is fair enough, I thought Hillary should have let others respond to Trump's taunts, on her behalf, and stick to policy in her comments.

However all of the analysis of Hillary's campaign completely ignores Trump's non-campaign. He truly offered nothing beyond a few easy answers and abuse.
He ran on emotion. In the latter stages Bannon fed the hate.

Wildweasel74

There`s only 1 thing keeps the America economy going, a good war, i wonder who`s in their sight in the next 4 years,
as for some people who voted for this clown, you brought it all on uself, enjoy!!

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on November 14, 2016, 09:36:22 PM

And agan.....that is the issue.....if you disagree with the elite of the Democratic Party you are NOT a Nazi.

If you guys keep it up, youre going to get completely wiped out in the mid terms in 2 years time

OgraAnDun

Quote from: whitey on November 14, 2016, 09:40:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 14, 2016, 09:36:22 PM

And agan.....that is the issue.....if you disagree with the elite of the Democratic Party you are NOT a Nazi.

If you guys keep it up, youre going to get completely wiped out in the mid terms in 2 years time

Don't think Seafoid has too much to do with the Democratic Party, unless he's secretly pulling the strings of Bernie's campaign from the rocky mountains of Connemara.