The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Main Street on November 12, 2016, 11:25:50 AM
As predicted, Trump has done a back flip on his major campaign promise to "immediately repeal and replace Obamacare" towards a tinkering with it,
and this is just his first major interview a few days after being elected, 2 months before taking up office.

He has no choice. There are serious problems with the health insurance system, but people like a lot of what Obamacare brought in, while they can't just strip 20 million people of health insurance.

What the insanity Freedom Caucus and their allies in the House make of it is another issue.

seafoid

It doesn't look good with people like Pamêla Geller and John Bolton prominent

omochain

Quote from: seafoid on November 12, 2016, 03:25:27 PM
It doesn't look good with people like Pamela Geller and John Bolton prominent

The cabinet picks will go a long way to telling you how Trump will govern and so far it's looking very scary.
The one thing that you can guarantee is a big tax cut for all and that is not going to really help those unemployed or underpaid folks who voted for Trump. You will get more "trickle down"economic policies that have been a proven failure for the last 30 years.
Jobs are created by demand. Demand is created by putting more spending power in the hands of poor people who actually spend their income on goods and services in the US. The Republican Party will not vote for big infrastructure spending and increases in the minimum wage. Stuff that will jack up the spending power of the working class. Ergo the most of the tax savings will go to the wealthy and disappear off shore or at best into savings accounts here. Therefore Less spending on things in the US, leading to decreased demand .. recession and more grief for the working class of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan. and Wisconsin.

Oraisteach

Sounds like a fair analysis, omochain.

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on November 11, 2016, 10:20:59 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 11, 2016, 09:54:45 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 11, 2016, 03:17:18 PM
I stopped into my local coffee shop this morning on my way home from the gym

Had a nice chat with the owner about the election (he's a conservative like me)

Seeming quite a few  of the teenagers from the local prep school (14-18 yr olds) were crying their eyes out and consoling each other on Wednesday morning. 

Their parents pay $50k a year to send them there and this is what theyre turning out....fvckin nanny pambies......I'd be looking point for a refund if I was them.

God bless them the poor crathurs, their feelings have been hurt.  There's want a good week in a he bog to harden them up....and a good kick up the hole too

Were you so dismissive of right wingers who were similarly upset and forecasting the end of America four and eight years ago?

People get upset about sports FFS. Presidential politics is something that actually matters and affects real lives.

They weren't happy 4 years ago, but they weren't curled in in the foetal position or crying into
their skinny one pump chai lattes
Rove was. Romney wrote a paper on how the GOP needed to reconnect with voters after 2012. He never thought about emulating George Wallace, pussy baiting or using antisemitism to get in extremists.

seafoid

Nazi 2.0

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/science/myron-ebell-trump-epa.html

Trump's Climate Contrarian: Myron Ebell Takes On the E.P.A.
By HENRY FOUNTAINNOV. 11, 2016

Myron Ebell

The mug-shot posters, pasted on walls and lampposts around Paris by an activist group during the United Nations climate talks last year, were hardly flattering. They depicted Myron Ebell, a climate contrarian, as one of seven "climate criminals" wanted for "destroying our future."
But in his customary mild-mannered way, Mr. Ebell, who directs environmental and energy policy at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a libertarian advocacy group in Washington, brushed it off.
"I've gotten used to this over the years," he told an interviewer at the talks. "But I did go out and get my photo taken with my poster, just so I have it as a memento."
In looking for someone to follow through on his campaign vow to dismantle one of the Obama administration's signature climate change policies, President-elect Donald J. Trump probably could not have found a better candidate for the job than Mr. Ebell.
Mr. Ebell, who revels in taking on the scientific consensus on global warming, will be Mr. Trump's lead agent in choosing personnel and setting the direction of the federal agencies that address climate change and environmental policy more broadly.
Mr. Ebell, whose organization is financed in part by the coal industry, has been one of the most vocal opponents of the linchpin of that policy, the Clean Power Plan. Developed by the Environmental Protection Agency, the plan is a far-reaching set of regulations that, by seeking to reduce carbon emissions from electricity generation, could result in the closing of many coal-burning power plants, among other effects.
Mr. Ebell has said that the plan, which has been tied up in the courts since it was finalized in 2015, is illegal. In the interview in Paris last year, he said he hoped whoever was elected president would "undo the E.P.A. power plant regs and some of the other regs that are very harmful to our economy."
Short Answers to Hard Questions About Climate Change
The issue can be overwhelming. The science is complicated. We get it. This is your cheat sheet.

As the person Mr. Trump has chosen to lead the transition at the E.P.A., Mr. Ebell, 63, will be in a position to begin to do just that.
Mr. Ebell, who did not respond to a request for an interview, grew up on a ranch in Oregon. He got his undergraduate degree at Colorado College and master's at the London School of Economics, where he studied under the conservative political philosopher Michael Oakeshott. He has described himself as "sort of a contrarian by nature and upbringing," and has said he was very strongly influenced by the "question authority" ethos of 1960s and '70s counterculture
"I really think that people should be suspicious of authority," he told an interviewer last year. "The more you're told that you have to believe something, the more you should question it."
Mr. Ebell leads the Cooler Heads Coalition, a loose-knit group that says it is "focused on dispelling the myths of global warming by exposing flawed economic, scientific, and risk analysis." He has been one of the nation's most visible climate contrarians, known for dispensing memorable sound bites on cable news shows and at events like the annual conferences sponsored by the Heartland Institute, a Chicago-based group that rejects the overwhelming scientific consensus on climate change.
More Reporting on Climate Change

Flooding of Coast, Caused by Global Warming, Has Already BegunSep. 04, 2016

Another Inconvenient Truth: It's Hard to Agree How to Fight Climate ChangeJuly 12, 2016

Climate Change Claims a Lake, and an IdentityJuly 07, 2016

A Remote Pacific Nation, Threatened by Rising SeasJuly 03, 2016

Climate-Related Death of Coral Around World Alarms ScientistsApril 10, 2016

How Much Warmer Was Your City in 2015?Feb. 19, 2016

Mr. Ebell has said that "a lot of third-, fourth- and fifth-rate scientists have gotten a long ways" by embracing climate change. He frequently mocks climate leaders like Al Gore, and has called the movement the "forces of darkness" because "they want to turn off the lights all over the world."
No one, it seems, is immune to his criticism. He called Pope Francis's encyclical on climate change, issued in mid-2015, "scientifically ill informed, economically illiterate, intellectually incoherent and morally obtuse."
"It is also theologically suspect, and large parts of it are leftist drivel," he added.
Mr. Ebell cut his teeth in Washington working for Frontiers of Freedom, a research group founded by former Senator Malcolm Wallop, a Wyoming Republican, to advocate for limited government. He also worked for a Republican congressman from Arizona, John Shadegg, on an effort to revamp the Endangered Species Act to make it more respectful of property rights.
In interviews and speeches, Mr. Ebell comes off as amiable and calm. But he is hardly shy about lobbing verbal grenades, sometimes directly at scientists and environmentalists.
Every week, we'll bring you stories that capture the wonders of the human body, nature and the cosmos.

Receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

See Sample Privacy Policy
He clashed with Kevin E. Trenberth, a senior researcher at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, in an appearance on Fox News in 2009 after the unauthorized release of emails from a server at an English university set off a battle over the integrity of leading climate scientists.
Mr. Ebell called Dr. Trenberth "part of a gang" that had been "cooking the data" on climate for years, accusations that Dr. Trenberth strenuously denied.
During an August 2015 appearance on C-Span with Jeremy Symons of the Environmental Defense Fund, Mr. Ebell did not deny Mr. Symons' assertion that the Competitive Enterprise Institute receives money from the Murray Energy Corporation, one of the nation's largest coal producers. He countered that his group's total budget, of about $6 million, was far smaller than that of Mr. Symons' group.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

"I would like to have more funding," Mr. Ebell said, "so that I could combat the nonsense put out by the environmental movement."

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on November 12, 2016, 10:53:18 PM

Seeming quite a few  of the teenagers from the local prep school (14-18 yr olds) were crying their eyes out and consoling each other on Wednesday morning. 

Their parents pay $50k a year to send them there and this is what theyre turning out....fvckin nanny pambies......I'd be looking point for a refund if I was them.

God bless them the poor crathurs, their feelings have been hurt.  There's want a good week in a he bog to harden them up....and a good kick up the hole too

Were you so dismissive of right wingers who were similarly upset and forecasting the end of America four and eight years ago?

People get upset about sports FFS. Presidential politics is something that actually matters and affects real lives.

They weren't happy 4 years ago, but they weren't curled in in the foetal position or crying into
Rove was. Romney wrote a paper on how the GOP needed to reconnect with voters after 2012. He never thought about emulating George Wallace, pussy baiting or using antisemitism to get in extremists.
Nobody does sneering, crying, moaning, taking offence, invoking free speech and then trying to shut it down, or general throwing toys out of the pram quite like conservatives.

stew

Quote from: sid waddell on November 13, 2016, 12:54:21 AM

Nobody does sneering, crying, moaning, taking offence, invoking free speech and then trying to shut it down, or general throwing toys out of the pram quite like conservatives.

Except those liberal lowlife scumbags in Portland that hate the constitution, the country they were born and live in.

You liberals are masters of hypocrisy, I have to hand it to you.

Sanctuary cities gone, Megyns Law is a coming and when Trump gets in the liberal knackers that are rioting will be charged with hate crimes the c***ts!

So the rioters are not throwing the toys out of the pram? Catch yourself on FFS!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

omochain

Trump and Farage had a "tea party" today

sid waddell

Quote from: omochain on November 13, 2016, 01:41:57 AM
Trump and Farage had a "tea party" today
Only white tea was served, no black.

omochain

Quote from: stew on November 13, 2016, 01:41:57 AM

Except those liberal lowlife scumbags in Portland that hate the constitution, the country they were born and live in.

Sanctuary cities gone, Megyns Law is a coming and when Trump gets in the liberal knackers that are rioting will be charged with hate crimes the c***ts!

So the rioters are not throwing the toys out of the pram? Catch yourself on FFS!

Can you please enlighten me how protesting against a voice that espoused misogyny, racism and wants to muzzle a free press translates into hating the constitution and the country they were born in to.

sid waddell

Quote from: stew on November 13, 2016, 01:41:57 AM

"Liberal lowlife scumbags"
"Liberal knackers"  ;D

Ah, you're nothing if not predictable, mate.

Thank heavens we have the civilised Republicans to set the example for good people how to behave, such as, you know, daubing swastikas across walls and shopfronts, and setting up "n****r lynching" pages on Facebook.

But sure it's only online banter.

And hey, free speech and all that.

seafoid

GOP voters should put on their f**k me boots.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/11/11/facebook-twitter-trump-how-internet-changed-election/

much has been made of the migration of "news" to the web—news conveyed via social media, Facebook and Twitter especially, but also through partisan websites that, while devoting little or no resources to fact-based reporting, have followed the Fox News playbook of taking on the appearance of traditional news-gathering operations. While it is true that this can be confusing to some readers, who are led to believe that the sites they rely on for information are honest and objective when, instead, they are designed to throw poisonous content into the news cycle, the actual effect is even more insidious: it has created an equivalence between those ideological sites and traditional journalism

After studying four million election-related tweets created between September 16 and October 21, the University of Southern California computer science professor, Emilio Ferrara, and his colleagues, determined that one in five were generated by bots. And once they were, they were retweeted again and again by actual humans, who sent them ricocheting around the web, especially those that were antagonistic; in earlier work, Ferrara's group found that negative tweets traveled 2.5 times faster than positive ones.  "As a result, [the bots] were able to build significant influence, collecting large numbers of followers and having their tweets retweeted by thousands of humans," and leading to the "spreading of content that is often defamatory or based on unsupported or even false, claims." Ferrara further noted that, "previous studies showed that this systematic bias alters public perception. Specifically, it creates the false impression that there is grassroots, positive, sustained support for a certain candidate."

HiMucker

Stew not trying to morally blackmail you here.  But you said one of the most simplest, heartfelt quotes on here during the Syrian refugee crisis, that I felt left it impossible for anyone else to argue or debate with.  Something along the lines of "why not just take take them out of the water, cloth them and give them shelter" apologies if I have misquoted!   So that being, said what policies does a conservative like yourself, who opposes "Obamacare" think the USA should adopt to guarantee/or help with health care for the poor and underprivileged?  Again apologies as I know little of the health care system in the states, but it is my understanding that if you are poor you are f**ked?  What would be the republican/conservative strategy /policy to help people from a lower socio-economic background get the same level of health care?

seafoid

Nobody does shafting their own voters like the GOP
but the evangelicals know it is part of Gods plan

Trump promised to take on global special interests
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBMFVzwfJ-s

this week he announced he would be  relaxing Financial regulation
for people who don't have your good in mind.

BOHICA