The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2016, 11:15:15 AM
Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2016, 10:41:00 AM
The Democrats crying foul blaming lawsuits limiting elligable voters et al. But the fact is both sides played very dirty and Trump managed to win despite his party establishment hating him and spending far less than Clinton.

Says his message connected and he won as fairly and as squarely as any Republican presidential nominee in my lifetime. There are going to be some incredible case studies and deep dives into the data of this election in the years ahead.

The GOP has to rule now. And that is hard. Ask Shane Ross.

It's like being Roscommon manager. You are answerable
No sniping from the sidelines or multiple accounts.
And the US has huge issues to deal with. Healthcare is as daunting as Mayo in Castlebar on a dry sod. .

We don't know if this election is that significant. The next one could be more important. Because the economy is not working.

Youu'll have to use that one in your next comment on a FT article on their site.

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2016, 11:18:48 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 09, 2016, 11:14:14 AM
Quote from: Zulu on November 09, 2016, 10:47:35 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 09, 2016, 10:34:58 AM
Quote from: Canalman on November 09, 2016, 10:13:00 AM
May in the long term be a good thing for democracy around the world. The working and struggling classes have by and large spoken in the Uk and now America.

Governments will now have to pay more attention to that section of the population very often disregarded and sad to say very often sneered at ( including some posters on this forum). Absolutely nothing wrong with people who left school early to earn a living/ work a trade etc  having a say in democracy .

Victory yesterday for the people who like their coffee to come from a kettle / coffee pot as opposed to coming  frothy from a machine.

I had that thought too. I think this is a reality check. The silent majority is still the majority and you have to cater for their concerns, not just the popular causes, to win big elections.

Don't really agree. These working class voters voted for a billionaire, from an already wealthy family who has shipped their manufacturing jobs to China himself, apparently stiffed sub-contractors and ran a con-job university selling the 'dream' to gullible ordinary folk. It seems the working class continue to do what they've always done and vote for, or accept, leaders who will play to their gallery but never do anything for them.

Yes, but that's what the Clinton campaign didn't ram home. What they voted for was someone who articulated the type of stuff they are worried about, and it resonated. As I said earlier, I think if Sanders ran, Trump would have lost heavily. The Democrats should have been calling out all that bullshit, but instead it became a contest between the political establishment, protecting Wall Street and Washington interests, versus a newcomer who spoke the language of the common man.

All bullshit of course, for the reasons you outline, and it will be interesting to see what he actually does to cater for those voters in power, but what it does do in America is say that you can't ignore the silent majority for the sake of chasing the latest demographic, or the latest trendy topic among celebs and media commentators.

Tell people who have it hard that you're going to make it better, tell them you'll make their fears go away, tell them you know what they are going through, and you will have a big chance of being elected.

I know populism is not exactly new. Every Irish election is an exercise in it. But in the States and in the UK, the real popular worries were not identified by the establishment, and that's why the results were a surprise to pollsters and media 'experts'.
The media kept on selling the idea that things were fine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziwYbVx_-qg

Bernie was unacceptable to the funders.

That's what I mean. They didn't identify that people were pissed off, and didn't understand what that meant. They focussed on Hilary bringing out the Latino and Black vote. But they underestimated the White vote, and the fact that Trump was basically saying 1) I'll protect you from the evil terrorists, 2) I'll stop illegal migrants coming in here and taking our welfare (ha!) and 3) I'm not one of these establishment types, so I'll not be in their pocket like Clinton is.

The Democrats made a bollix of it, because they underestimated the amount that was resonating with, and they chased the 23%, and basically took the 70% for granted.

whitey

The people who are humping it 60 hours a week, with their premiums doubled and their coverage cut in half are feeling pretty good this morning.  Working people have legitimate anger and spoke with their vote yesterday

screenexile

Quote from: whitey on November 09, 2016, 11:26:34 AM
The people who are humping it 60 hours a week, with their premiums doubled and their coverage cut in half are feeling pretty good this morning.  Working people have legitimate anger and spoke with their vote yesterday

What did they vote for though?? It's exactly like Brexit people voted to change things but nobody knows what that means. "It will be bigly great, better than you've ever seen that's for sure".

What the f**k does it mean? Trump doesn't have a coherent legislative plan. "Repeal and replace" replace it with what?!

My own view on it is that the last 2 weeks did Hillary in. The nonsense FBI statement coming hotly on the heels of the increased Obamacare premiums turned the tide in the Donald's favour... he just hasn't massively fucked up the past 2 weeks! Had they saved their October surprise for a November surprise would things have been different?

The people have no idea what they voted for only something different!!

WT4E

Was there someone on here who had big money on trump at big odds from the start - or did i imagine that?

screenexile

Just read on Twitter... A £5 bet on Leicester to win the Premier League, Brexit and a Trump Presidency would have netted you a cool £12.5m!

screenexile

Bord na Mona man

While no fan of Trump, the left-wing, pc media over here made little attempt to be objective.
There wasn't much delving into why people were supporting Trump, apart from them being uneducated, rednecks and racists.
Even today Irish radio stations were still calling out some of the allegations against Trump which have not stood up.

It is the same sort of condescension they aim towards Kerry people voting for the Healy-Raes. Which apparently they are doing to drive the cappuccino set in South Dublin mad, rather than out of their own local and self interests.

Outside of some of the thriving cities, there are a lot of parts of the US that have been left behind. Trump has tapped into that disenchantment which suggests he connects with the ordinary person better than his rivals and doubters.
He'll probably mess up as much as he fixes, but it's another lesson about how disconnected establishment insiders have become.

J70

And how is their vote going to change things?

BTW, plenty of "working people" voted Dem.

sid waddell

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 09, 2016, 11:49:21 AM
While no fan of Trump, the left-wing, pc media over here made little attempt to be objective.
There wasn't much delving into why people were supporting Trump, apart from them being uneducated, rednecks and racists.

If you looked a little bit, which you obviously didn't, there was a ton of coverage about what was motivating voters across the US, and none more so than about what was happening in places like Ohio, Michigan and West Virginia than anywhere else.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 09, 2016, 11:22:04 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2016, 11:18:48 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 09, 2016, 11:14:14 AM
Quote from: Zulu on November 09, 2016, 10:47:35 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 09, 2016, 10:34:58 AM
Quote from: Canalman on November 09, 2016, 10:13:00 AM
May in the long term be a good thing for democracy around the world. The working and struggling classes have by and large spoken in the Uk and now America.

Governments will now have to pay more attention to that section of the population very often disregarded and sad to say very often sneered at ( including some posters on this forum). Absolutely nothing wrong with people who left school early to earn a living/ work a trade etc  having a say in democracy .

Victory yesterday for the people who like their coffee to come from a kettle / coffee pot as opposed to coming  frothy from a machine.

I had that thought too. I think this is a reality check. The silent majority is still the majority and you have to cater for their concerns, not just the popular causes, to win big elections.

Don't really agree. These working class voters voted for a billionaire, from an already wealthy family who has shipped their manufacturing jobs to China himself, apparently stiffed sub-contractors and ran a con-job university selling the 'dream' to gullible ordinary folk. It seems the working class continue to do what they've always done and vote for, or accept, leaders who will play to their gallery but never do anything for them.

Yes, but that's what the Clinton campaign didn't ram home. What they voted for was someone who articulated the type of stuff they are worried about, and it resonated. As I said earlier, I think if Sanders ran, Trump would have lost heavily. The Democrats should have been calling out all that bullshit, but instead it became a contest between the political establishment, protecting Wall Street and Washington interests, versus a newcomer who spoke the language of the common man.

All bullshit of course, for the reasons you outline, and it will be interesting to see what he actually does to cater for those voters in power, but what it does do in America is say that you can't ignore the silent majority for the sake of chasing the latest demographic, or the latest trendy topic among celebs and media commentators.

Tell people who have it hard that you're going to make it better, tell them you'll make their fears go away, tell them you know what they are going through, and you will have a big chance of being elected.

I know populism is not exactly new. Every Irish election is an exercise in it. But in the States and in the UK, the real popular worries were not identified by the establishment, and that's why the results were a surprise to pollsters and media 'experts'.
The media kept on selling the idea that things were fine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziwYbVx_-qg

Bernie was unacceptable to the funders.

That's what I mean. They didn't identify that people were pissed off, and didn't understand what that meant. They focussed on Hilary bringing out the Latino and Black vote. But they underestimated the White vote, and the fact that Trump was basically saying 1) I'll protect you from the evil terrorists, 2) I'll stop illegal migrants coming in here and taking our welfare (ha!) and 3) I'm not one of these establishment types, so I'll not be in their pocket like Clinton is.

The Democrats made a bollix of it, because they underestimated the amount that was resonating with, and they chased the 23%, and basically took the 70% for granted.
Turnouts will be interesting. Bluecollar people who have been shafted were very motivated.
People in forgotten towns are drinking themselves to death in their 50s.
If that was someone in my family I wouldn't have voted for Clinton.

The media are a joke. It's not business as usual and it hasn't been since 2008.
Just listen to RTE any time. Most of it is plamas.
Some of the stats from the US are truly shocking.

Nobody is getting payrises. Because all the profits are going to capital.
Corporate profits are at record levels.
And that's not good for democracy.

All the comedians taking the piss out of Trump voters . Bill Maher donated $1 million to Clinton or Obama.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 09, 2016, 12:02:07 PM

And how is their vote going to change things?

BTW, plenty of "working people" voted Dem.

People had legitimate grievances and they were poopooed as fascists,misogynists, islamophobes or homophobes by the main stream media if they dared question Hillarys fitness to serve.

seafoid

I think it will be like the Egyptian revolution. There is no way the ultra rich are going to loosen their grip on the US without a fight to the near death. History says you only get concessions when they are afraid. The NHS and social security didn't come out of watching baseball or cricket matches.   Brexit will be the same. It really doesn't matter what working class people think .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hBV0ApIh_4

They can always be plamased with hate or fear while they get shafted in the background.
That is the job of the Daily Mail and Fox. To put smacht on people who think they are in control.

Because people may be angry but they are not organised. And if you are not organised you can forget it.
The whole point of breaking the unions in the 80s was to neutralise resistance.

Last time capital vs Labour ended up in Auschwitz. 

muppet

Yes ObamaCare will get the chop.

But at what price? It is incredible that in the world's richest country, there are people who have no access to health care. What is even more shameful is that the people who want to make this situation far worse, consider themselves Christians.

Moving on, the market wobble this morning gives a clue of what is likely to happen. Every time Trump moves towards any of his headline promises, the markets will do the same thing. Can he be restrained? Maybe for a while, but his monstrous ego will get tired of that pretty quickly.

Trump supporters seemed only interested in who they were keeping out of the White House, and most of them have no clue of the type of man they have put in. Nor do they even care. That will change.
MWWSI 2017