The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Gmac on October 20, 2016, 02:31:12 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on October 20, 2016, 02:07:36 PM
https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/17088

On the Podesta e-mail thing....read the rest of the thread of e-mails from the wikileak source page instead of the right-wing spin sites. 

The discussion is about voter turnout and how a poorly designed voter registration system is to blame for relatively low voter turnout.   Podesta's suggestion is simply that a voter who hasn't officially registered to vote prior to election day can still vote (and so it's not too late to get unregistered dem voters to the polls).  No-one is talking about voter fraud or non-citizens voting.
the problem with that is in a state like California there are about 3/4 of million illegals who have got valid drivers licenses  since the start of 2015 so a valid id is not a proof of citizenship

But he's clearly not talking about non-citizens.  Nor is he advocating that non-citizens should vote fraudulently. 

whitey

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on October 20, 2016, 03:11:41 PM

On the Podesta e-mail thing....read the rest of the thread of e-mails from the wikileak source page instead of the right-wing spin sites. 

The discussion is about voter turnout and how a poorly designed voter registration system is to blame for relatively low voter turnout.   Podesta's suggestion is simply that a voter who hasn't officially registered to vote prior to election day can still vote (and so it's not too late to get unregistered dem voters to the polls).  No-one is talking about voter fraud or non-citizens voting.
the problem with that is in a state like California there are about 3/4 of million illegals who have got valid drivers licenses  since the start of 2015 so a valid id is not a proof of citizenship

But he's clearly not talking about non-citizens.  Nor is he advocating that non-citizens should vote fraudulently.

When a paid consultant for the Clinton campaign states (on tape) "It doesn't matter what the friggin' legal and ethics people say, we need to win this motherfucker", I am under no illusions that these people will do whatever it takes to win (or steal) the election

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: whitey on October 20, 2016, 03:34:16 PM

When a paid consultant for the Clinton campaign states (on tape) "It doesn't matter what the friggin' legal and ethics people say, we need to win this motherfucker", I am under no illusions that these people will do whatever it takes to win (or steal) the election

There's nothing in the wikileaks e-mails that suggests this though.   As for the taped bit, it depends on the context in which it occurred.  It could be evidence of something, or it could be nothing.  It depends on what it was the' legal and ethics people' had said that was under discussion.

whitey

screenexile

Another sexual harassment accuser giving a Press Conference right now. . .

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: whitey on October 20, 2016, 04:25:39 PM
Lol....keep denying

Give us something that proves anything and I'll stop.

American legal people are paid to offer advice on whether certain actions by individuals/companies could result in a legal challenge.  They err on the side of caution (I see this in my own job).  The taped quote could have been in response to the legal people saying that a particular tactic might be challenged by Repubs in court.  Responding to such a point by "it doesn't matter what the legal people say, we need to win" could simply be a rejection of legal advice. It isn't therefore illegal or fraudulent. 

Is that what happened? I have no idea.  But you have no idea about whether the quote occurred in a context that makes it shady or fraudulent.  Without the context, the quote is evidence of nothing.

MoChara

Quote from: whitey on October 20, 2016, 11:15:12 AM
Quote from: MoChara on October 20, 2016, 10:59:03 AM
I'm wondering what the Wikileaks Email dump on the 1st Nov will bring up, I'd say Hilary's arse is chewing her knickers.

So you think it's a joke that the head of Hillarys campaign is advocating voter fraud on a massive scale?

1) I never actually made a joke  B) I couldn't give a shit who gets elected in America, either way its bad for the rest of the world and iii) if you didn't laugh at the travesty that is US politics you'd cry.

whitey

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on October 20, 2016, 04:49:08 PM
Lol....keep denying

American legal people are paid to offer advice on whether certain actions by individuals/companies could result in a legal challenge.  They err on the side of caution (I see this in my own job).  The taped quote could have been in response to the legal people saying that a particular tactic might be challenged by Repubs in court.  Responding to such a point by "it doesn't matter what the legal people say, we need to win" could simply be a rejection of legal advice. It isn't therefore illegal or fraudulent. 

Is that what happened? I have no idea.  But you have no idea about whether the quote occurred in a context that makes it shady or fraudulent.  Without the context, the quote is evidence of nothing.

Why was he fired if he did nothing wrong?

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: whitey on October 20, 2016, 05:03:22 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on October 20, 2016, 04:49:08 PM
Lol....keep denying

Why was he fired if he did nothing wrong?

I don't know why he was fired.  Do you?   Perhaps he was fired because the quote occurred in  a context in which he was advocating doing something dodgy. Perhaps he was fired because the quote, even if not in such a context, is still a gift to Repubs.

In any event, what this guy said has nothing to do with what Podesta said in the e-mail chain which is clearly not recommending voter fraud.

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on October 20, 2016, 01:26:54 PM

Interesting graphic that illustrates what I said a few pages back. As the white demographic goes so goes the GOP.

Not sure about the source but I'd say it's close enough. What the underlying reasons for it are up for debate. Does lower taxes and limited government not appeal to non-Europeans and women?
It looks like white society is in crisis. White women majority Trump ?

muppet

Have you not just described the American Way?

Why does your conscience only apply to Hillary? Also, as was suggested earlier, you should read the rest of the emails in the conversation. The idea went nowhere.
MWWSI 2017

Gmac

Quote from: seafoid on October 20, 2016, 08:03:33 PM
Quote from: thejuice on October 20, 2016, 01:26:54 PM

Interesting graphic that illustrates what I said a few pages back. As the white demographic goes so goes the GOP.

Not sure about the source but I'd say it's close enough. What the underlying reasons for it are up for debate. Does lower taxes and limited government not appeal to non-Europeans and women?
what the maps show me are that a lot of white people feel the democrat party do not represent them in any way and the democrats are all about keeping power and will pander to any groups to do so .Hillary will call millions of citizens of the country deplorable but  would say that people here living illegally are the salt of the earth , all pandering to the changing demographics of the country but not sincere about it . Trump is right about one thing the Washington dc swamp needs to be drained of all these fakes on all sides.

whitey

Quote from: muppet on October 20, 2016, 10:47:04 PM

Have you not just described the American Way?

Why does your conscience only apply to Hillary? Also, as was suggested earlier, you should read the rest of the emails in the conversation. The idea went nowhere.

It's all open to interpretation.....he made a statement that could be construed that he is encouraging voter fraud. You give him the benefit of the doubt, I don't.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on October 20, 2016, 11:58:47 PM

what the maps show me are that a lot of white people feel the democrat party do not represent them in any way and the democrats are all about keeping power and will pander to any groups to do so .Hillary will call millions of citizens of the country deplorable but  would say that people here living illegally are the salt of the earth , all pandering to the changing demographics of the country but not sincere about it . Trump is right about one thing the Washington dc swamp needs to be drained of all these fakes on all sides.

Or...

The GOP has hooked their wagon to the bitter, resentful white demographic who are upset that the nature of the country is changing and their white, christian, homophobic position of superiority is on the wane as society becomes more enlightened.

Did you miss the GOP's post-2012 navel gazing and mea culpa about their narrowing appeal and the manner in which their rhetoric and policies repels minorities, gays, women and so on and on?

The pity for them is that their base are not quite ready to repudiate those positions.

If the Dems are not sincere, why, for example, did Obama embrace the Dreamers program? Why did he end Don't Ask Don't Tell and stop defending DOMA, an important step in the eventual supreme court decision on gay marriage?

Political parties pander. Its what they do. And then they try to carry out some of the stuff they run on. But the difference is that the Democrats, at least socially, are on the right side of history and the GOP are dying along with their dwindling, aging white base.

The days of the white christian male being the be all and end all of the US citizen are gone. Good riddance. If the GOP can't sort themselves out, good riddance to them too as a national party.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on October 21, 2016, 02:21:35 AM
Quote from: Gmac on October 20, 2016, 11:58:47 PM

Or...

The GOP has hooked their wagon to the bitter, resentful white demographic who are upset that the nature of the country is changing and their white, christian, homophobic position of superiority is on the wane as society becomes more enlightened.

Did you miss the GOP's post-2012 navel gazing and mea culpa about their narrowing appeal and the manner in which their rhetoric and policies repels minorities, gays, women and so on and on?

The pity for them is that their base are not quite ready to repudiate those positions.

If the Dems are not sincere, why, for example, did Obama embrace the Dreamers program? Why did he end Don't Ask Don't Tell and stop defending DOMA, an important step in the eventual supreme court decision on gay marriage?

Political parties pander. Its what they do. And then they try to carry out some of the stuff they run on. But the difference is that the Democrats, at least socially, are on the right side of history and the GOP are dying along with their dwindling, aging white base.

The days of the white christian male being the be all and end all of the US citizen are gone. Good riddance. If the GOP can't sort themselves out, good riddance to them too as a national party.
yeah. The GOP leadership can't deliver tax cuts any longer. Maybe the gringos think they can. The leadership has spent too long Koch sucking.

They betrayed the Base and when the Wolf turned up this year he walked off with them.