The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Hannity has been having a twitter row with some boy from the Wall Street Journal, that bastion of liberal thought, who this week called him the dumbest person on Fox News! ;D

I don't think Hannity is the sharpest tool in the box, but he is very good at what he does, which is to be a completely bought and sold toady for the Republican Party each night.

seafoid

Joe Scarborough of morning joe , the show that gave the infamous Russell Brand interview

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2016/08/09/the-gop-must-dump-trump/

The GOP is at risk of losing serious seats in DC, and not just the presidency

screenexile

Ah lads it's some craic altogether.

You think after a week or two of totally f**king up that Trump gets things back on track with a fairly sensible (in delivery not content) economic speech but in the past few days he's called on gun nuts to take out Hillary and has said Obama founded ISIS!!!

It's more enjoyable now that he has no chance to win thank God and we can just laugh at the antics rather than worry about what he'd do in the Situation Room!

screenexile

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on August 10, 2016, 08:07:36 PM
Joe Scarborough of morning joe , the show that gave the infamous Russell Brand interview

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2016/08/09/the-gop-must-dump-trump/

They deserve to lose every fvckin seat they have.....and I'm a Conservative

screenexile

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2016, 04:12:23 PM

Do you mind me asking what exactly a "Conservative" is?

To my mind it seems like a PC way of saying Christian so as not to confuse separation of Church and State thereby giving people a reason other thn religion to impose their supposed "American Values" on others. . . am I close enough?

AZOffaly

I would define a Conservative as someone who is loathe to change just for change's sake. Someone who has to be convinced that 'new = better'. That would cross the whole spectrum of Moral values, Economics, Business etc. You often here people saying they are social Conservative, which would usually be anti Abortion, anti Same Sex Marriage, anti Drug Legalisation etc. A lot of people would be less Conservative than others but still be anti some of those things, while pro others.

The definition of Conservative, as opposed to Left Wing/Right Wing, is "averse to change or innovation and holding traditional values."

omaghjoe

Touch of contorted view there screenexile to suit your world view me thinks. Have a read on wikipedia if you really want to expand your horizions a bit but I guess your bubble and echo chamber work fine for you.

For me conservative is sensible cautious politics similar to how AZ described.
How any real conservative could be opposed to gun control, business regulation or any other rule that would contribute to a more placid society and would never be fooled by populism like these eejits who support Trump.

But such breed are few and far between in America despite the labels, in fact, ironically, I would say the vast majority of Americans are very liberal in their outlook.

A good example of conservative for me would be the Fine Gael types.

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on August 11, 2016, 04:20:29 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2016, 04:12:23 PM

Do you mind me asking what exactly a "Conservative" is?

To my mind it seems like a PC way of saying Christian so as not to confuse separation of Church and State thereby giving people a reason other thn religion to impose their supposed "American Values" on others. . . am I close enough?

Way off......

I used the word Conservative instead of  Republican because while fiscally I would be fiscally more aligned with Republicans, socially and on other issues I would be much more moderate

I'm in favor of common sense gun control

I'm pro choice (up to a certain point)

Agnostic as it pertains to gay marriage

Think African Americans have been treated terribly by law enforcement  (but wouldn't regard every single police shooting as a modern day lynching)

Think that illegal immigration should be addressed, but think that those already here should have a path to legalization ( as opposed to deporting them all)

Am general pro military as I have immediate family members who served in Iraq and Afghanistan,but think we spend way too much of our GDP on the military and stick our beaks in where they don't belong

Agree with separation of church and state, but disagree with über PC crap like the PTA who cancelled a trip to see the nutcracker in case anyone was offended by a Christmas Tree

So on and so forth

Think of a Mitt Romney or Charlie Baker type of Republicsn

dec

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2016, 05:53:29 PM
Agree with separation of church and state, but disagree with über PC crap like the PTA who cancelled a trip to see the nutcracker in case anyone was offended by a Christmas Tree

The trip went ahead.

whitey

Quote from: dec on August 11, 2016, 06:25:34 PM

The trip went ahead.

After an uproar by people with some common sense

dec

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2016, 07:13:51 PM

The trip went ahead.

Precisely. I was a 2 day wonder at with some small school PTA. Not something to be stressing about years later.

whitey

Quote from: dec on August 11, 2016, 08:57:24 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2016, 07:13:51 PM

The trip went ahead.

Precisely. I was a 2 day wonder at with some small school PTA. Not something to be stressing about years later.

Who's stressing????

I just used it as an example of the extreme anti religious sentiment that exists on the far left

dec

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2016, 09:35:18 PM
I just used it as an example of the extreme anti religious sentiment that exists on the far left

But what you succeeded in doing is proving that the so called "extreme anti religious sentiment that exists on the far left" is nothing more than right wing internet windbags getting their knickers in the twist about minor PTA arguments.

If you search for Butler Belmont Nutcracker you get thousands of hits the most prominent of which are the usual range of right wing perpetually offended websites like Fox, The Blaze, World Nut Daily etc.

Over a PTA organized school trip.

whitey

Quote from: dec on August 11, 2016, 09:50:39 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2016, 09:35:18 PM

But what you succeeded in doing is proving that the so called "extreme anti religious sentiment that exists on the far left" is nothing more than right wing internet windbags getting their knickers in the twist about minor PTA arguments.

If you search for Butler Belmont Nutcracker you get thousands of hits the most prominent of which are the usual range of right wing perpetually offended websites like Fox, The Blaze, World Nut Daily etc.

Over a PTA organized school trip.

Well I don't know anything about those websites, but seeing as I actually live on Boston I saw it on the evening news, read about it on the Boston Globe and spoke about it with people whose kids actually attend the school in question

Left wing zealots are just as bigoted and intolerant as the religious right