The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Looks like Trump is facing the rockiest stint in his campaign right now it will be interesting to see how Wisconsin goes after this, polls are showing he's taken a big hit for his abortion comments!

Somehow he managed to get the Pro-Life and Pro-Choicers to band together in their hatred of him. That is an achievement in itself!

Billys Boots

QuoteSomehow he managed to get the Pro-Life and Pro-Choicers to band together in their hatred of him. That is an achievement in itself!

He'd make a great unity candidate.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

mikehunt

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 01, 2016, 11:17:11 AM
QuoteSomehow he managed to get the Pro-Life and Pro-Choicers to band together in their hatred of him. That is an achievement in itself!

Have to say I love Trump. I wouldn't agree with him on anything but his non pc attitude is so refreshing. Speaks his mind and doesn't hide behind spoof and bluster. He thinks abortion is wrong so any woman who does it should be punished. Comedy gold. He's like the mad uncle that everyone tries to keep under wraps in case he embarrasses the family. Just cos u don't agree with him doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to speak. The problem is the amount of people that agree with him.

J70

Quote from: mikehunt on April 01, 2016, 11:43:32 AM

Have to say I love Trump. I wouldn't agree with him on anything but his non pc attitude is so refreshing. Speaks his mind and doesn't hide behind spoof and bluster. He thinks abortion is wrong so any woman who does it should be punished. Comedy gold. He's like the mad uncle that everyone tries to keep under wraps in case he embarrasses the family. Just cos u don't agree with him doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to speak. The problem is the amount of people that agree with him.

No he doesn't! He says he's "anti-abortion" because no pro-choice candidate has a hope of capturing the GOP nomination. He just fell over himself trying to toe the party line and even outdo the others. Trump's conversion to anti-abortion coincides almost exactly with his toying with and later actually partaking in the GOP primaries.

And he's the biggest spoofer and blusterer out there! No details or depth on anything, just baseless boasting, angry platitudes and button-pushing. Pure demagoguery. Which is why he has got into trouble this week with the abortion thing. He clearly had given zero thought to it.

And his aggressive, "non-pc" approach was also shown up this week for what it really is with the Breitbart reporter thing: Pure bullying and bullshit. Although the Mexican rapists stuff, the misogny (Carly Fiorina, Heidi Cruz, Rosie O'Donnell etc. etc.), the flirting with and retweeting white supremacists and so on have shown it up long before this week.

seafoid

Jeb looks tasty at 540/1 but Trump will most likely go 3rd party and split the GOP vote the way things are going. Bernie at 12/1 might be better

mikehunt

Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2016, 01:27:25 PM

No he doesn't! He says he's "anti-abortion" because no pro-choice candidate has a hope of capturing the GOP nomination. He just fell over himself trying to toe the party line and even outdo the others. Trump's conversion to anti-abortion coincides almost exactly with his toying with and later actually partaking in the GOP primaries.

And he's the biggest spoofer and blusterer out there! No details or depth on anything, just baseless boasting, angry platitudes and button-pushing. Pure demagoguery. Which is why he has got into trouble this week with the abortion thing. He clearly had given zero thought to it.

And his aggressive, "non-pc" approach was also shown up this week for what it really is with the Breitbart reporter thing: Pure bullying and bullshit. Although the Mexican rapists stuff, the misogny (Carly Fiorina, Heidi Cruz, Rosie O'Donnell etc. etc.), the flirting with and retweeting white supremacists and so on have shown it up long before this week.

Yerra he's great craic. Love seeing the illiberal liberals going nuts about anything he says.

J70

Quote from: mikehunt on April 01, 2016, 02:20:59 PM

Yerra he's great craic. Love seeing the illiberal liberals going nuts about anything he says.

So you just like the fact that he's so arrogant and ignorant that he says whatever ill-considered shite comes into his mind, no matter how ridiculous or mistaken?

mikehunt

Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2016, 02:33:58 PM

So you just like the fact that he's so arrogant and ignorant that he says whatever ill-considered shite comes into his mind, no matter how ridiculous or mistaken?

No, what amuses me is the apoplectic rage illiberal liberals get themselves into.

AZOffaly

Apoplectic rage, or bemused non-comprehension and worry that anyone actually likes this guy?

By the way, what is a liberal? I wouldn't class myself as overly liberal at all, but I think this guy is a prize gobshite, and if he becomes president of the US, I officially revoke my status as a Yankophile.

J70

Quote from: mikehunt on April 01, 2016, 03:09:17 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2016, 02:33:58 PM

No, what amuses me is the apoplectic rage illiberal liberals get themselves into.

What is an "illiberal liberal"?

And why is their outrage amusing?

GJL

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 01, 2016, 03:30:08 PM
Apoplectic rage, or bemused non-comprehension and worry that anyone actually likes this guy?

By the way, what is a liberal? I wouldn't class myself as overly liberal at all, but I think this guy is a prize gobshite, and if he becomes president of the US, I officially revoke my status as a Yankophile.

I think you will be fine. He has no chance.

No wides

Quote from: GJL on April 01, 2016, 03:39:58 PM

I think you will be fine. He has no chance.

That statement could come back to bite a lot of people.

mikehunt

I would define liberal as being tolerant, non judgemental, non dictatorial. A live and let live attitude. An example would be someone who would have no problem with abortion or homosexuality. On the other hand you have the intolerant person who would be anti abortion or homosexuality. People who would try and silence or shout down these people could be considered illiberal liberals or hypocrites. If you're tolerant you would respect someone's right to say what they think even if u don't necessarily agree with them. If you are ok with say abortion but try and silence someone with a different opinion to yourself then you have become the person you have set out to silence.

J70

Quote from: mikehunt on April 01, 2016, 03:53:11 PM

I would define liberal as being tolerant, non judgemental, non dictatorial. A live and let live attitude. An example would be someone who would have no problem with abortion or homosexuality. On the other hand you have the intolerant person who would be anti abortion or homosexuality. People who would try and silence or shout down these people could be considered illiberal liberals or hypocrites. If you're tolerant you would respect someone's right to say what they think even if u don't necessarily agree with them. If you are ok with say abortion but try and silence someone with a different opinion to yourself then you have become the person you have set out to silence.

Having a "live and let live" attitude does not mean that its hypocritical to be angered by or opposed to someone who does not believe in living and let live. That's the same as the "your intolerance of my intolerance means you're intolerant too" fallacy. Or "you're a bigot because you don't like my bigotry".

And yes, of course even the demogogues like Trump should be free to say what they want. But that doesn't mean they should be protected from responses, angry or not, to what they say.

No one is trying to get the government to shut down Trump or censor him or his supporters. He has full rights to unimpeded free speech, same as those who oppose him.

mikehunt

Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2016, 04:18:26 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on April 01, 2016, 03:53:11 PM

Having a "live and let live" attitude does not mean that its hypocritical to be angered by or opposed to someone who does not believe in living and let live. That's the same as the "your intolerance of my intolerance means you're intolerant too" fallacy. Or "you're a bigot because you don't like my bigotry".

And yes, of course even the demogogues like Trump should be free to say what they want. But that doesn't mean they should be protected from responses, angry or not, to what they say.

No one is trying to get the government to shut down Trump or censor him or his supporters. He has full rights to unimpeded free speech, same as those who oppose him.

Live and let live J.