The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on March 28, 2016, 04:23:26 PM
Mencken had a quote about the US elections being perfected so that one day the president would be a downright moron.

It already happened in 2001, and we'll be dealing with this consequences for a generation.

whitey

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/03/26/maher_mocks_emory_university_students_offended_by_pro-trump_message_i_want_to_dropkick_these_kids.html

lol-Emory students traumatized b someone writing Trump in chalk on the sidewalk. I read somewhere that some of rhem needed counseling. I don't wish anyone harm but I'd love to drop this privileged fvckers off somewhere on the South side of Chicago

omaghjoe

Cant believe Trump as got as far as he has, probably cant believe it himself.
The GOP, the party of complex political ideologies such as neo cons, libertarians, and the paleocons have been usurped by a Daily Mail populist. There always was a strong suspicion that the most,or at least a healthy minority of their voters where just tabloid level voters and Trump has just confirmed it.

Almost as surprised as Clinton showing with Blacks and Mexicans, are they voting along race lines? As in.... old white guy Sanders? No way....vs.... Oh Obama's friend Hillary? I'll vote for her

muppet

Quote from: whitey on March 28, 2016, 09:50:34 PM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/03/26/maher_mocks_emory_university_students_offended_by_pro-trump_message_i_want_to_dropkick_these_kids.html

lol-Emory students traumatized b someone writing Trump in chalk on the sidewalk. I read somewhere that some of rhem needed counseling. I don't wish anyone harm but I'd love to drop this privileged fvckers off somewhere on the South side of Chicago

Why is a supposed reaction, to an alleged piece of graffiti, on a 'sidewalk', in a college that most people have never heard of........actually.......never mind.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

A lot of white people in the US south , the so called rednecks,  are descended from Ulster protestant migrants who turned up in the 1700s. They have certain characteristics in common with their cousins up North

-education difficulties. Loyalists are way behind catholics when it comes to university access. Huge numbers of Trump fans come from Ulster stock and are not educated either. It doesn't come from the sky.

-Vulnerability to demagogues. Donald, meet Mr Paisley

-Related to points 1 and 2  . Belief that they are God's people

they are 2 very lost tribes

stew

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 28, 2016, 09:20:28 PM
Mencken had a quote about the US elections being perfected so that one day the president would be a downright moron.

It already happened in 2001, and we'll be dealing with this consequences for a generation.

Do not forget the idiot of the past seven plus years, his legacy is debt, weakness and ineptitude,
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

DuffleKing

Quote from: stew on March 29, 2016, 08:27:11 AM

Do not forget the idiot of the past seven plus years, his legacy is debt, weakness and ineptitude,

You can argue Obama was a charlatan, mean principled, machiavelian etc. and produce evidence to support that but he's obviously not a moron. Bush was a moron, no question.

I am beginning to think that the presidency is a figurehead role only anyway. The background forces seem to drive policy and decision making in America, irrespective of which party is controlling the white house or what the traits of the incumbant are.

muppet

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 29, 2016, 12:54:48 PM
Quote from: stew on March 29, 2016, 08:27:11 AM

You can argue Obama was a charlatan, mean principled, machiavelian etc. and produce evidence to support that but he's obviously not a moron. Bush was a moron, no question.

I am beginning to think that the presidency is a figurehead role only anyway. The background forces seem to drive policy and decision making in America, irrespective of which party is controlling the white house or what the traits of the incumbant are.

Obama is currently the world's second most popular leader, after the Pope.

https://news.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AwrC0CYNdPpWMQQA6ETQtDMD;_ylc=X1MDNTM3MjAyNzIEX3IDMgRmcgNhYXBsdwRncHJpZANsX2E3ZU9Uc1F2Q0I5M1NBb0JZQURBBG5fcnNsdAMwBG5fc3VnZwMwBG9yaWdpbgNuZXdzLnNlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMEcXN0cmwDMjMEcXVlcnkDb2JhbWEgd29ybGQgbGVhZGVyIHBvbGwEdF9zdG1wAzE0NTkyNTQzMDE-?p=obama+world+leader+poll&fr2=sb-top-news.search&fr=aaplw&type=pivot_us_srp_yahoonews
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: stew on March 25, 2016, 10:20:06 AM
He has a point, if he was a shinner why would he not say so? Makes no sense.

Sinn Féin are not to blame for the ill's of the south, I have never voted for them but fox has a point, I hate the way liberals try and tell you what you are, if the man has not said he is a shinner then you need to take hineat his word,

The liberals feel the need to categorise you to discredit your views.
So you can't be a Fine Gael supporter and disagree with water charges?

It's this sort of backwards thinking that has the country in the mess it's in.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

omaghjoe

Quote from: foxcommander on March 29, 2016, 06:04:50 PM

Sinn Féin are not to blame for the ill's of the south, I have never voted for them but fox has a point, I hate the way liberals try and tell you what you are, if the man has not said he is a shinner then you need to take hineat his word,

Although I generally disagree with your two's politics I have to agree with this. I was on the recieving end of it at the weekend when we had a discussion about a few topics and I was suddenly a Republican policymaker ::)

There is nothing more irritating than being on the receiving end of guilt by association, as it is an extremely effective way of appealing to fear of assocaition, just another form of playing the man at the end of the day.

Here is a bit of news just because someone else said the same thing does not make it incorrect. Attack the point not the man and if someone has a different opinion to you try to find out why rather than just declare it wrong for some fallacious reason.

easytiger95

Works both ways Joe - a lot of research has come out on how Republicans devised ways of demonizing certain words, most notably "liberal", through a method of always associating it with words like "weak" and "pathetic". And this was deliberately done - Republicans understood language a lot more effectively in some ways than the Dems. But now you see the end result - someone like Trump can say what he likes, and when criticized, all he has to do is call the critic a "liberal" or "politically correct", and the Republican listener/voter automatically discounts the point of the criticism (not all republicans obviously, but a working majority of primary voters so far)

Don't get me wrong, I do think that a lot of the stuff that I'm reading about campus PC campaigns are going too far (although I am a supporter of being "politically correct" ie polite) - but I'd put that down a lot to the exuberance/foolishness of youth. The Republican strategy, on the other hand, was deliberate and backed by a major broadcasting network - still is.

Declan

I'm always interested to hear Chomsky's views on things in the US - here's his take on the GOP

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/35402-noam-chomsky-the-republican-base-is-out-of-control

LeoMc

Similar to OmaghJoe (cant really shorten it to OJ in a US discussion) I hate to see the lazy guilt by association.
Any political movement or party is made up of a group of people with similar (not necessarily identical ideals) and should function as a sub-democracy of the greater democracy. Just as there is room in a democracy for dissent there should be room within the sub-democracy of the movement. A member should be able to disagree with a policy but go along with the will of the majority for the greater good.

It is the movements which show no dissent that I fear the most.

Hound

Quote from: LeoMc on March 30, 2016, 11:37:03 AM

Similar to OmaghJoe (cant really shorten it to OJ in a US discussion) I hate to see the lazy guilt by association.
Any political movement or party is made up of a group of people with similar (not necessarily identical ideals) and should function as a sub-democracy of the greater democracy. Just as there is room in a democracy for dissent there should be room within the sub-democracy of the movement. A member should be able to disagree with a policy but go along with the will of the majority for the greater good.

Not sure what you're going on about.
Foxy has not said he's not a Shinner.
Although you'd presume he's not, given his right wing political views are the opposite of Sinn Fein's
Perhaps he will take the opportunity now to clarify that he does in fact despise Sinn Fein and their liberal agenda.

LeoMc

Quote from: Hound on March 30, 2016, 12:16:44 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 30, 2016, 11:37:03 AM

Not sure what you're going on about.
Foxy has not said he's not a Shinner.
Although you'd presume he's not, given his right wing political views are the opposite of Sinn Fein's
Perhaps he will take the opportunity now to clarify that he does in fact despise Sinn Fein and their liberal agenda.
I am not arguing with him!
I am agreeing with his point that it is possible to support a party without espousing everything that party stands for.