The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Last time out Romney canvassed for tax cuts for the 1%. Muintir Trump are not interested. The GOP elite have sworn loyalty to the Kochs and Adelson.  So they want tax cuts for the 1%. Meanwhile Zionists are super worried. Trump has already made antisemitic statements but has been invited to the AIPAC conference cos he may be Prez.  Jewish right wing money goes with Adelson. Bibi bet big on the GOP.  It is getting very interesting.

whitey

Quote from: Hardy on March 20, 2016, 01:31:55 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2016, 01:18:14 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 20, 2016, 01:08:32 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2016, 12:43:04 PM
In case anyone is wondering why Trump is doing so well, this case would be a good example

(For the record, so far it hasn't been reported in the liberal Boston Globe or at least I haven't seen it)

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2016/03/illegals_had_rap_sheets

In case anyone is wondering why Trump is doing so well among the uneducated, illiterate, intolerant and xenophobic, this post would be a good example.

In case anyone is wondering why this post is a good example of how the uneducated, illiterate, intolerant and xenophobic are manipulated by the hateful rhetoric of people like Trump, it's worth reflecting that one in four people arrested for drunken driving may also be members of golf clubs.

LOL....if they were Irish illegals I would be saying exactly the same thing, so you can put the race card back in your pocket
Of course you you would.

No drivers licenses and no insurance either I'm sure
See what I'm talking about. As a matter of interested, how sure are you and how are you sure? And, of course, we're sick of reading your posts here about Irish illegals without drivers' licenses and insurance.

QuoteIf members of the golf club tried that they'd be facing the full rigour of the law and a lengthy jail spell
No. The point is that if a golf club member was arrested, released and went on to rape somebody, you wouldn't be posting it here as a reason why Trump is your hero.

Illegals....catch and release....no consequences. Tax payers pick up the tab
Hang them all, dammit.

whitey

In case anyone is wondering why Trump is doing so well, this case would be a good example

(For the record, so far it hasn't been reported in the liberal Boston Globe or at least I haven't seen it)

In case anyone is wondering why Trump is doing so well among the uneducated, illiterate, intolerant and xenophobic, this post would be a good example.

In case anyone is wondering why this post is a good example of how the uneducated, illiterate, intolerant and xenophobic are manipulated by the hateful rhetoric of people like Trump, it's worth reflecting that one in four people arrested for drunken driving may also be members of golf clubs.

LOL....if they were Irish illegals I would be saying exactly the same thing, so you can put the race card back in your pocket
Of course you you would.

See what I'm talking about. As a matter of interested, how sure are you and how are you sure? And, of course, we're sick of reading your posts here about Irish illegals without drivers' licenses and insurance.

QuoteIf members of the golf club tried that they'd be facing the full rigour of the law and a lengthy jail spell
No. The point is that if a golf club member was arrested, released and went on to rape somebody, you wouldn't be posting it here as a reason why Trump is your hero.

Hang them all, dammit.

Illegals do not qualify for MA licenses, so if they had licenses they were either forgeries or obtained illegally

Tourists on a valid visa/waiver can drive for 3 months on a valid foreign license-they entered the county illegaly so that would invalidate any foreign license they may have had.

no license.....no insurance, it's really quite simple.

If some one from from the golf club was arrested for multiple DUI, no license, no insurance and multiple violations of immigration law  they would be sent straight to jail-no ifs and and buts.

But if your illegal in a sanctuary city, cops have no option but to let you go.

There have been multiple vehicular homicides in MA over the past few years involving illegals who had previously been released after having being caught for DUI. This is one example:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/08/23/driver_charged_in_dragging_death_of_milford_man/?page=2

If you're  illegal, keep your head down and don't come to the notice of the police...it's really quite simple

I'm  actually in favor of legalizing ALL non criminal illegals,

FL/MAYO

Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2016, 01:44:56 PM

Of course you you would.

Hang them all, dammit.

Whitey, when you moved to U.S, how was it legal for you to stay here? Were you a U.S citizen at the time?

whitey

Quote from: FL/MAYO on March 20, 2016, 02:01:55 PM

Of course you you would.

Hang them all, dammit.

Whitey, when you moved to U.S, how was it legal for you to stay here? Were you a U.S citizen at the time?

Green card

FL/MAYO

Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2016, 02:03:26 PM
Quote from: FL/MAYO on March 20, 2016, 02:01:55 PM

Of course you you would.

Hang them all, dammit.

Green card
Morrison visa?

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2016, 02:00:26 PM

Of course you you would.

Hang them all, dammit.

Illegals do not qualify for MA licenses, so if they had licenses they were either forgeries or obtained illegally

Tourists on a valid visa/waiver can drive for 3 months on a valid foreign license-they entered the county illegaly so that would invalidate any foreign license they may have had.

no license.....no insurance, it's really quite simple.

If some one from from the golf club was arrested for multiple DUI, no license, no insurance and multiple violations of immigration law  they would be sent straight to jail-no ifs and and buts.

But if your illegal in a sanctuary city, cops have no option but to let you go.

There have been multiple vehicular homicides in MA over the past few years involving illegals who had previously been released after having being caught for DUI. This is one example:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/08/23/driver_charged_in_dragging_death_of_milford_man/?page=2

If you're  illegal, keep your head down and don't come to the notice of the police...it's really quite simple

I'm  actually in favor of legalizing ALL non criminal illegals,

Why would the illegal immigrant from the golf club be treated differently than the illegal immigrant living with ten others in some small apartment?

The sanctuary city issue has drawbacks, like any policy, but what do you propose as an alternative?

The reason some places have brought it in is so that people can go to and talk to the police when necessary without fear of being deported. For every one that progresses to some more extreme crime, how many have reported crime to police or actually cooperated with and assisted police because they were not afraid of their illegal status being discovered?

whitey

I believe illegals who are law abiding (or who commit minor infractions) should be let go about their business in their interactions with the police.

I believe illegals should be allowed get drivers licenses.....they would at least know how to drive and be insured at the same time.

I believe that illegals who are already here and who have not committed any serious crime should be allowed to stay.

I believe that illegals who are involved in drugs, property crime, violence and drunk driving should be deported.

What happens is that ideas that start off as great and compassionate can often have unintended consequences:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/penny-starr/mayor-adult-illegal-aliens-graying-hair-enrolled-public-schools

I'd love to see some of the über liberals in the wealthy Boston suburbs allow their kids go to school with grown men. Unfortunately it's the poorer neighborhoods who bear the brunt

seafoid

The elites tolerated all the illegal immigration cos it drove wages down and gave them more profit. A lot of the uneducated whites who vote Trump are not looking forward to the white minority. The US is looking at huge change.

heganboy

It looks as if the very drawn out nature of the republican nomination may turn out to be a fraction too long for the Donald.

The GOP hierarchy is starting to come together against Trump but is it too little too late.

This article is by a guy called Peter Wehner, served in the last 3 republican administrations and now at the "ethics and public policy center" which is a very conservative pressure /lobbying group ("think tank") in all places the New York Times, not a traditional publisher of EPPC material.

Quote"I THINK you'd have riots." So said Donald J. Trump last week, when he was asked by CNN what he thought would happen if he arrived at the Republican Convention this summer a few delegates short of the 1,237 needed to win outright and didn't set forth from Cleveland as the party's nominee.

It is stunning to contemplate, particularly for those of us who are lifelong Republicans, but we now live in a time when the organizing principle that runs through the campaign of the Republican Party's likely nominee isn't adherence to a political philosophy — Mr. Trump has no discernible political philosophy — but an encouragement to political violence.

Mr. Trump's supporters will dismiss this as hyperbole, but it is the only reasonable conclusion that his vivid, undisguised words allow for. As the examples pile up, we should not become inured to them. "I'd like to punch him in the face," Mr. Trump said about a protester in Nevada. ("In the old days," Mr. Trump fondly recalled, protesters would be "carried out in a stretcher.")

Of another protester, Mr. Trump said, "Maybe he should have been roughed up." In St. Louis, Mr. Trump sounded almost wistful: "Nobody wants to hurt each other anymore." About protesters in general, he said: "There used to be consequences. There are none anymore. These people are so bad for our country. You have no idea folks, you have no idea."

Talk like this eventually finds its way into action. And so on March 10, a Trump supporter named John McGraw, was charged with assault, battery and disorderly conduct, after a protester was sucker-punched as he was being hauled by security guards out of a Trump rally in North Carolina the day before. When interviewed afterward Mr. McGraw said, "The next time we see him, we might have to kill him."

And Donald Trump's reaction? He said he was considering paying Mr. McGraw's legal fees. "He obviously loves his country," Mr. Trump added, "and maybe he doesn't like seeing what's happening to the country."

Welcome to Donald Trump's America.

Mr. Trump's comments, startling in a leading presidential candidate, have raised widespread concern about the path we find ourselves on. But concern about political violence, mob rule and unchecked passion is hardly new in American history.

In 1838, as a 28-year-old state legislator, Abraham Lincoln delivered an address at the Young Men's Lyceum of Springfield, Ill. The speech was given in the aftermath of the lynching of a mixed-race boatman and the burning of a black abolitionist newspaper editor. Lincoln warned that a "mobocratic spirit" and "wild and furious passions" posed a threat to republican institutions. He also alerted people to the danger of individuals — "an Alexander, a Caesar or a Napoleon?" — who, in their search for glory and power, might pose a threat to American self-government.

"Is it unreasonable, then, to expect that some man possessed of the loftiest genius, coupled with ambition sufficient to push it to its utmost stretch, will at some time spring up among us?" Lincoln asked.

The antidote to this threat, Lincoln argued, was to cultivate a "political religion" that emphasized "reverence for the laws." Passion was our enemy, he warned; it had to be contained. "Reason — cold, calculating, unimpassioned reason — must furnish all the materials for our future support and defense."

Lincoln was a keen student and great interpreter of the founders, and of course the founders also thought deeply about how a self-governing people could restrain political passions. In his book "Madison's Metronome," the scholar Greg Weiner points out that James Madison's lifelong concern was that majorities would be governed by emotion rather than reason, the "cool" faculty. In Mr. Weiner's words, Madison "portrayed passion through metaphors that suggested rapid and uncontrolled spread, including those of fires, fevers, pestilence and contagions."

Before the Constitutional Convention, Madison undertook an extraordinarily thorough study of various forms of government. How might the Constitution protect us from what Aristotle called "the insolence of demagogues"?

Among the defects of ancient and modern republics, Madison wrote, were "popular assemblages, so quickly formed, so susceptible of contagious passions, so exposed to the misguidance of eloquent and ambitious leaders, and so apt to be tempted by the facility of forming interested majorities, into measures unjust and oppressive to the minor parties."

Which brings us back to Donald Trump. No one would mistake Mr. Trump for eloquent, but he is a highly effective communicator in a political culture that is now almost indistinguishable from the reality TV culture from which he emerged. But the Trump phenomenon isn't just about coarsening and stupidity: His political practices are precisely what the founders feared and Lincoln warned against.

When he was asked by CNN's Jake Tapper about the sucker-punching episode, Mr. Trump responded by saying, "People come with tremendous passion and love for this country, and when they see protest — in some cases — you know, you're mentioning one case, which I haven't seen, I heard about it, which I don't like. But when they see what's going on in this country, they have anger that's unbelievable. They have anger. They love this country." In many respects, he added, "it's a beautiful thing."

This is an increasingly familiar refrain. When two brothers beat up a homeless Latino man last summer and cited Mr. Trump's words as their justification — "Donald Trump was right, all these illegals need to be deported," one of the men reportedly told the police — Mr. Trump responded by saying that while this was a shame, "I will say that people who are following me are very passionate." His supporters, he said, "love this country and they want this country to be great again — they are passionate."

Note Mr. Trump's linkage of violence, passion, anger and love of country. After the sucker-punch, Mr. Trump, while himself protesting that he doesn't condone violence, initially indicated that he might subsidize it. He said that he hoped that he hadn't done anything to create a tone where violence was encouraged, even though he does just that. Last week, his campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, was accused of manhandling a reporter and then sought to discredit her on Twitter and elsewhere. Mr. Trump went out of his way to praise Mr. Lewandowski during his victory speech in Florida.

For Mr. Trump, this is all of a piece. His entire campaign, from its very first moments, has been built on stoking anger, grievances and resentment against people of other races, religions and nationalities. Mexicans coming to America are rapists and drug dealers. Muslims hate America and need to be barred from it. Syrian refugees are "Trojan horses."

Not surprisingly, Mr. Trump's politics of hate is now metastasizing into violence. He incites people — not all people to be sure, but enough. On social media in particular, one sees how he gives his supporters permission to express dark and ugly sentiments that existed before but were generally kept hidden from view.

Max Boot, a Republican Trump critic who was a foreign policy adviser to Marco Rubio's campaign, says that he has never experienced as much anti-Semitism as he has since the start of the Trump campaign. There are no filters anymore, no restraints, no cultural guardrails. Now, under the sway of Trumpism, what was once considered shameful asserts itself openly. As we contemplate this, it is worth recalling that the membrane separating what the Scottish novelist John Buchan called "the graces of civilization" from "the rawness of barbarism" is thinner and more fragile than we sometimes imagine.

The reasons for the rise of Mr. Trump are undoubtedly complicated and will be studied for decades to come. That Mr. Trump's rise has occurred in the Republican Party is painful for those of us who are Republicans. That more and more Republicans are making their own accommodation with or offering outright support for Mr. Trump — governors like Chris Christie and Rick Scott, the former candidate Ben Carson and the former speaker of the House Newt Gingrich — makes things even worse. Because we can no longer deny what Mr. Trump is and what he represents. The prospect of turning the party apparatus over to such a person is sickening.

The founders, knowing history and human nature, took great care to devise a system that would prevent demagogues and those with authoritarian tendencies from rising up in America. That system has been extraordinarily successful. We have never before faced the prospect of a political strongman becoming president.

Until now.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

muppet

Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2016, 04:20:53 PM
I believe illegals who are law abiding (or who commit minor infractions) should be let go about their business in their interactions with the police.

I believe illegals should be allowed get drivers licenses.....they would at least know how to drive and be insured at the same time.

I believe that illegals who are already here and who have not committed any serious crime should be allowed to stay.

I believe that illegals who are involved in drugs, property crime, violence and drunk driving should be deported.

What happens is that ideas that start off as great and compassionate can often have unintended consequences:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/penny-starr/mayor-adult-illegal-aliens-graying-hair-enrolled-public-schools

I'd love to see some of the über liberals in the wealthy Boston suburbs allow their kids go to school with grown men. Unfortunately it's the poorer neighborhoods who bear the brunt

Whitey I agree with most of your points in this post, but can't see how it leads you to vote GOP.

As for older people at school, surely there are bigger problems. If as you said earlier they were committing crimes, then get rid. But if they are law abiding and seeking education, then what harm?
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: muppet on March 20, 2016, 11:43:20 PM

Whitey I agree with most of your points in this post, but can't see how it leads you to vote GOP.

As for older people at school, surely there are bigger problems. If as you said earlier they were committing crimes, then get rid. But if they are law abiding and seeking education, then what harm?

I'm a registered Independent who leans Republicsn

The problem with older people registering as students is that the schools actually have no idea who is enrolling.  They could be violent felons or sex offenders for all we know. The unintended consequence of the way the law is written is the school cannot ask for proof of age or identification. I don't know about you, but I sure as hell want to know who is going into a school my kids are attending.

In the US, local property taxes are what funds the schools, so the taxpayers/property owners have both a right and a vested interest in ensuring that extra people who don't belong there are not enrolled....it takes resources from those who really need them.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on March 20, 2016, 11:43:20 PM

Whitey could be a FG voter in Ireland, muppet. Maybe his local GOP rep is decent and what goes on in DC is far away.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on March 20, 2016, 11:55:15 AM
Quote from: Gmac on March 19, 2016, 11:40:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 17, 2016, 03:00:42 PM
Quote from: trileacman on March 17, 2016, 02:19:41 PM
Would you shut the fcuk up about the Kochs. You sound like Jim f**king Corr.
Last time they spent 412m trying to beat Obama. The money buys climate change deniers like Rubio in DC. They are worse than scum and people like them have destroyed the GOP. The party just lost its base. Both parties are riddled with corruption but the GOP is further advanced into obsolescence.
george soros a big democrat backer and a much more dangerous guy than the Kochs.
Have a look to see some of the loons he pumps money into .

How is he more dangerous?

What "loons"?
A man who thrives on chaos go educate yourself on him

J70

Quote from: Gmac on March 21, 2016, 03:40:19 AM
Quote from: J70 on March 20, 2016, 11:55:15 AM
Quote from: Gmac on March 19, 2016, 11:40:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 17, 2016, 03:00:42 PM
Quote from: trileacman on March 17, 2016, 02:19:41 PM
Would you shut the fcuk up about the Kochs. You sound like Jim f**king Corr.
Last time they spent 412m trying to beat Obama. The money buys climate change deniers like Rubio in DC. They are worse than scum and people like them have destroyed the GOP. The party just lost its base. Both parties are riddled with corruption but the GOP is further advanced into obsolescence.
george soros a big democrat backer and a much more dangerous guy than the Kochs.
Have a look to see some of the loons he pumps money into .

How is he more dangerous?

What "loons"?
A man who thrives on chaos go educate yourself on him

I know who Soros is.

I'm asking why you claim he is "much more dangerous" than the Kochs and who these "loons" are that he funds.