The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

omaghjoe

Whitey, I agree there is a breakdown in community structure in America but wouldn't exclusively say its any one race. Take white people where I live they are for the most part all old, got into their lifestyles that they decided kids would adversely affect them. so they never bothered having any, that's a breakdown of a community as well. Weirdly those same people winge about immigration which is an economic necessity for economic growth and stability when the natural population growth drops off, although it does have it social problems to I admit.

I was talking about proper stats about Castlebar but anyway. I presume that you are in a suburb of Boston somewhere, where the demographic is all similar middle class people with similar incomes, similar backgrounds etc etc. However the only way that a place like that can exist is because they are part of a larger economic "eco-system" ie the Boston metro area. And for that "eco-system" to exist under the American economic model many different type of social and economic levels must exist. So therefore to say that the wider murder rate of MA is nothing to do with where you live is misleading at best. Castlebar is a town with many social classes and incomes bunched together and for this reason it is nonsensical to  statistically compare Castlebar with your boutique town in the Boston suburbs. If you want to compare it to Castlebar compare it with some middle class estate.

However I completely agree with you that gun control will be the solution to all the homicide problems in America it won't, no where near, as I said b4 the problem is rooted deep within American society, but guns undoubtedly exasperate the problem and control would help. A two pronged approach is needed.

And for FFS I wasn't saying to exclude the traveler death! I was making a point about how we disassociate from those within our community from even belonging to it. I know an American-Vietnamese guy who visited Belfast and got a right mouthful of abuse about being Oriental (or Asian for the politically correct but inaccurate term used in America). After asking him details it turned out that it occurred on the Donegal Rd so I was quick to disassociate myself from it and told him if he had went to one of "my areas" he wouldn't have had a problem. Total BS from myself and I am sure my explanation left him as confused as anything but it shows how we try to disassociate people from being in our community even tho they live in the same place, just as you appear to be doing with downtown Boston and many Irish people do about travelers.

omaghjoe

Quote from: whitey on June 22, 2015, 03:32:26 AM
LOL....You're dead right Joe.

Aye Muppets some craic.....he brings out the worst in me sometimes but hes actually class craic.

Isnt that right Muppet! ;) BTW can you teabag lying down or do you have to be standing to get the teabag dipping affect?

J70

Quote from: stew on June 22, 2015, 02:39:30 AM
Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2015, 09:30:54 PM
From what I've heard, Fox News are spinning this massacre as an "attack on faith" and down playing the racist aspect of it.

Shocked, I tell ya!

That is bullshit! They down played nothing and by the way, the f**ker did kill these people in a Baptist Church after all, there is a smidgeon of an attack on faith is there not? or are you just so liberal you are simply a clone that loves to attack Fox news?

No Stew, its not bullshit. Its been well documented over the last few days, the response of Fox News and even some of the Republican Party, including presidential candidates. The first day, this was all about an "attack on faith". Even after the murderer's motivations had been publicized, Fox still downplayed it. Jeb Bush waffled that no one could know his motivation (he quickly came out and called him a racist once the blowback started), as did Nikki Haley and some other leading GOP people. You can look this stuff up for yourself. Its not hard to find.

And by the guy's own statements, this was solely about race. Christianity or religion per se had nothing to do with it, any more than more than a century of terrorism against blacks in the south, including attacks on their churches, were part of a war on religion.

Its all part of their sick, deluded (or more accurately deceitful) war on christians/war on white men fantasy. Stir up white resentment to get support for the GOP big business elite.

whitey

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 22, 2015, 04:00:39 AM
Whitey, I agree there is a breakdown in community structure in America but wouldn't exclusively say its any one race. Take white people where I live they are for the most part all old, got into their lifestyles that they decided kids would adversely affect them. so they never bothered having any, that's a breakdown of a community as well. Weirdly those same people winge about immigration which is an economic necessity for economic growth and stability when the natural population growth drops off, although it does have it social problems to I admit.

I was talking about proper stats about Castlebar but anyway. I presume that you are in a suburb of Boston somewhere, where the demographic is all similar middle class people with similar incomes, similar backgrounds etc etc. However the only way that a place like that can exist is because they are part of a larger economic "eco-system" ie the Boston metro area. And for that "eco-system" to exist under the American economic model many different type of social and economic levels must exist. So therefore to say that the wider murder rate of MA is nothing to do with where you live is misleading at best. Castlebar is a town with many social classes and incomes bunched together and for this reason it is nonsensical to  statistically compare Castlebar with your boutique town in the Boston suburbs. If you want to compare it to Castlebar compare it with some middle class estate.

However I completely agree with you that gun control will be the solution to all the homicide problems in America it won't, no where near, as I said b4 the problem is rooted deep within American society, but guns undoubtedly exasperate the problem and control would help. A two pronged approach is needed.

And for FFS I wasn't saying to exclude the traveler death! I was making a point about how we disassociate from those within our community from even belonging to it. I know an American-Vietnamese guy who visited Belfast and got a right mouthful of abuse about being Oriental (or Asian for the politically correct but inaccurate term used in America). After asking him details it turned out that it occurred on the Donegal Rd so I was quick to disassociate myself from it and told him if he had went to one of "my areas" he wouldn't have had a problem. Total BS from myself and I am sure my explanation left him as confused as anything but it shows how we try to disassociate people from being in our community even tho they live in the same place, just as you appear to be doing with downtown Boston and many Irish people do about travelers.

How many Irish people would truly give a $hit about travelers killed in fueds or drug dealers executed in the estates of West Dublin.....not too many I would guess (but I could be wrong). Rightly or wrongly many middle class Americans would have similar attitudes towards the murders which occur in inner city neighborhoods.

My point about Castlebar, which I don't think I made very eloquently BTW, was that you can have a town with zero (or close to zero) handguns yet 6 murders in 10 years. Then theres towns like the one I live in where, there are hundreds (if not thousand) of legally held firearms, yet not one murder during that same timeframe.  I live in a nice town, but by no means an ultra wealthy one.   

Guns aren't the SOLE  cause of the problem, they are a manifestation of the problem and all of the other issues need to be addressed too if an improvement is to be made to the situation .  I'm all for common sense gun control and severe penalties for those who break the laws. 

J70

Fair fucks to Mitt Romney, BTW, for having the balls to come out and call for South Carolina to get rid of that f**king confederate flag. If only the rest of them were similarly brave, but I guess it's not easy when you're trying to sell your candidacy to the very knuckle draggers who revel in that flag.

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 22, 2015, 04:05:48 AM
Quote from: whitey on June 22, 2015, 03:32:26 AM
LOL....You're dead right Joe.

Aye Muppets some craic.....he brings out the worst in me sometimes but hes actually class craic.

Isnt that right Muppet! ;) BTW can you teabag lying down or do you have to be standing to get the teabag dipping affect?

The square of the hy-mott-in-use is equal to the pair of the other two parts.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Don't usually agree much with Ron Christie (although he is very agreeable in his NPR work), but he talks the truth here about the GOP and the confederate flag:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/22/gop-needs-to-lead-fight-against-the-confederate-flag.html

If this campaign works, then maybe Mississippi will grow a collective brain (how can a state that is more than a third black still have the confederate flag in their actual state flag??)

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on June 22, 2015, 05:41:14 PM
Don't usually agree much with Ron Christie (although he is very agreeable in his NPR work), but he talks the truth here about the GOP and the confederate flag:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/22/gop-needs-to-lead-fight-against-the-confederate-flag.html

If this campaign works, then maybe Mississippi will grow a collective brain (how can a state that is more than a third black still have the confederate flag in their actual state flag??)

Quick - arrest Bo and Luke Duke....

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

muppet

http://www.thejournal.ie/chicago-cop-shooting-at-car-2173808-Jun2015/

A VIDEO OF a Chicago police officer appearing to open fire into a carload of unarmed teenagers troubled a former judge so greatly that he handed the video over to the media.

"I've seen lots of gruesome, grisly crimes," retired Cook County Judge Andrew Berman told Jonah Newman of the Chicago Reporter. Berman, who was a judge in a criminal case against one of the teens, added, "But this is disturbing on a whole different level."

The December 2013 video, embedded below, shows Chicago police officer Marco Proano allegedly shooting more than a dozen rounds at the moving vehicle full of six minors, according to civil complaint filed against the city of Chicago and several officers. The Reporter identified them as black.
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on June 22, 2015, 08:02:43 PM
http://www.thejournal.ie/chicago-cop-shooting-at-car-2173808-Jun2015/

A VIDEO OF a Chicago police officer appearing to open fire into a carload of unarmed teenagers troubled a former judge so greatly that he handed the video over to the media.

"I've seen lots of gruesome, grisly crimes," retired Cook County Judge Andrew Berman told Jonah Newman of the Chicago Reporter. Berman, who was a judge in a criminal case against one of the teens, added, "But this is disturbing on a whole different level."

The December 2013 video, embedded below, shows Chicago police officer Marco Proano allegedly shooting more than a dozen rounds at the moving vehicle full of six minors, according to civil complaint filed against the city of Chicago and several officers. The Reporter identified them as black.

I see you conveniently forgot to mention that the car was stolen. You make it seem like they were off on a leisurely drive to Sunday School.

Still doesn't justify the officer shooting at them if they were not a threat but again if you put yourself in those sorts of situations..

"The Chicago Sun-Times reported last month that the FBI was investigating the shooting in which two black teens were wounded on Dec. 22 near 95th and La Salle. The shooting happened after Chicago Police officers curbed a stolen car packed with joyriders, the department said in a statement after the incident"
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

omaghjoe

stew

Quote from: J70 on June 22, 2015, 04:13:47 AM
Quote from: stew on June 22, 2015, 02:39:30 AM
Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2015, 09:30:54 PM
From what I've heard, Fox News are spinning this massacre as an "attack on faith" and down playing the racist aspect of it.

Shocked, I tell ya!

That is bullshit! They down played nothing and by the way, the f**ker did kill these people in a Baptist Church after all, there is a smidgeon of an attack on faith is there not? or are you just so liberal you are simply a clone that loves to attack Fox news?

No Stew, its not bullshit. Its been well documented over the last few days, the response of Fox News and even some of the Republican Party, including presidential candidates. The first day, this was all about an "attack on faith". Even after the murderer's motivations had been publicized, Fox still downplayed it. Jeb Bush waffled that no one could know his motivation (he quickly came out and called him a racist once the blowback started), as did Nikki Haley and some other leading GOP people. You can look this stuff up for yourself. Its not hard to find.

And by the guy's own statements, this was solely about race. Christianity or religion per se had nothing to do with it, any more than more than a century of terrorism against blacks in the south, including attacks on their churches, were part of a war on religion.

Its all part of their sick, deluded (or more accurately deceitful) war on christians/war on white men fantasy. Stir up white resentment to get support for the GOP big business elite.

He picked probably the most famous Baptist Church in America to do his killing in, Religion was a small part of the equation but a part nontheless! That's a fact.

Fox are placing too much emphasis on this aspect of the killings but ffs look with your eyes man.

This country will never be right until someone can bring down the NRA ( I know a mostly right wing outfit ) These f**kers need to be taken down but no one has the moxy nor the mandate to do it and meanwhile at the ranch innocent people are getting killed right left and center, It's disgusting!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 22, 2015, 08:33:45 PM
So are these threads merging now or what lads?

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=25757.0

Apologies, I should have put it on the other thread.
MWWSI 2017

Declan

One failed attempt at a shoe bomb and we all take off our shoes at the airport. Thirty-one school shootings since Columbine and no change in our regulation of guns." -John Oliver