The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

J70

Apparently given a gun for his birthday recently.

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 18, 2015, 04:01:18 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 18, 2015, 03:41:48 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 18, 2015, 12:13:08 PM
Strange statement muppet. Why would anyone deny that if the cops are saying it was a hate crime?

Of course it was rascist......the question is now who on the right will the liberal press will try to demonize and point fingers at

Not the time for pigeon holing this politically Whitey or Muppet. These where real people with real families shot to death in a church.

Exactly. It is real innocent people massacred.

It has nothing to do with The Liberal Press.
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: muppet on June 18, 2015, 04:39:16 PM
Strange statement muppet. Why would anyone deny that if the cops are saying it was a hate crime?

Of course it was rascist......the question is now who on the right will the liberal press will try to demonize and point fingers at

Not the time for pigeon holing this politically Whitey or Muppet. These where real people with real families shot to death in a church.

LOL

The shooting has nothing to do with the Liberal press but mark my words, let's see who they try and pin it on. BTW. I blame the guys barber.....imagine letting someone walk out of your barbershop lookng like that

J70

I think "deranged young man gets his hands on guns, legally,  and, yet again,  lots of people end up dead", is the main story. In recent years you've had Sikhs targeted (mistaken for muslims), kids, random strangers, college students, high school students,  work colleagues etc., etc.

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 18, 2015, 04:45:16 PM

LOL

The shooting has nothing to do with the Liberal press but mark my words, let's see who they try and pin it on. BTW. I blame the guys barber.....imagine letting someone walk out of your barbershop lookng like that

And Fox News and their pals will deny that racism or prejudice had anything to do with and that access to guns had anything to do with it. Whereas had it been a black man or, god forbid, muslim or atheist attacking a white church....

whitey

Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2015, 04:51:36 PM

LOL

And Fox News and their pals will deny that racism or prejudice had anything to do with and that access to guns had anything to do with it. Whereas had it been a black man or, god forbid, muslim or atheist attacking a white church....

Correct....but most of you guys think that Fox are the only ones that have any bias and that everything out of CNN and the NY Times is gospel

dec

And here he is with a Confederate States of America license plate.

http://heavy.com/news/2015/06/dylann-roof-pictures-photographs-photos-instagram-twitter-facebook/5/

Rhodesia, apartheid South Africa and the Confederacy, the trifecta of racist states.

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 18, 2015, 05:59:47 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2015, 04:51:36 PM

LOL

Correct....but most of you guys think that Fox are the only ones that have any bias and that everything out of CNN and the NY Times is gospel

CNN is unwatchable, sensationalist shite.

Times is a really good paper overall, with some excellent investigative stuff. Yeah, their editorial page has a slant, but's it's an editorial page! I seriously doubt,  for example, that many here will take their overall position on Israel - Palestine as gospel,  however?  Or their non-critical coverage of the build-up to the Iraq war?

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2015, 06:16:37 PM

Why is this the case? Pretty much every news seems to be the same? PBS news seems to be only one that isn't trying to get some sorta reaction out of you.
While the newspapers appear to be a little more sane?

However in Ireland & UK the roles of the print press and the broadcast media appear to be reversed, Tabloids at least.

Are there stricter standards that the broadcast media have to adhere to?

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 18, 2015, 06:37:48 PM

Why is this the case? Pretty much every news seems to be the same? PBS news seems to be only one that isn't trying to get some sorta reaction out of you.

However in Ireland & UK the roles of the print press and the broadcast media appear to be reversed, Tabloids at least.

Ratings and a 24 hour cycle my lad!

Have to fill time and hype things up to keep people watching and advertising dollars rolling in.

PBS and NPR don't have that problem and can devote a bit of depth and consideration to their coverage.

J70

Listening to NPR going to work yesterday and they had a five minute bit of their morning news hour on Georgio Moroder. I knew his name and the song with the Human League dude, but had no idea he was a major figure in disco and other areas such as movies as a music producer (even won an Oscar).

You wouldn't learn THAT on talk radio or CNN!

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on June 18, 2015, 06:40:26 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 18, 2015, 06:37:48 PM

Ratings and a 24 hour cycle my lad!

Have to fill time and hype things up to keep people watching and advertising dollars rolling in.

PBS and NPR don't have that problem and can devote a bit of depth and consideration to their coverage.

Yeah I get that, a good example of that in SoCal is when there is car chase, sorry no "real" news tonite some methhead nicked a car and wont stop for the police.
But why is it not the case at home?

Obviously BBC & RTE have some type of public funding like PBS but the like of Sky which is part of Fox for example is nowhere near even the mildest version of any mainstream US news network.
I asked a guy I used to work with about this and he reckoned it was to do with freedom of speech. ::)

If there isnt a logical reasonable answer its in the name of freedom!

J70

Good point on Sky, although I have not seen much of them in the past decade or so. They do beat the political or sensationalist drum as necessary though. They were full on in the build up to the NATO action in Kosovo in the late 90s, for example. Or the non-stop hype when Diana died.

omaghjoe

Yeah not saying they arent sensationalist I wouldn't be watching it in a big hurry put it like that.

But why is it that they don't turn into sensationalist opinionated self righteous retards that American news networks do and the tabloids do? Is there standards they have to adhere to?