The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: foxcommander on December 28, 2014, 04:10:51 AM
That's not true. CNN is just as visible if not more than Fox. and as for the presenters.... Wolf Blitzer, Candy Crowley, Soledad O'Brien etc. certainly aren't impartial, even though they try to portray themselves that way. Not very difficult to pick up on the stations democratic leanings.

and as for Don Lemon..he must be Jesse Jackson's secret lovechild. I don't think I've ever watched a more biased presenter in all my life and that's saying something.

Bull. CNN is quickly becoming irrelevant and is best known for being the channel that plays in airport lounges. They had their moment at the start of the Gulf War but that's long gone.  MSNBC tries to be the left's equivalent of Fox but doesn't come anywhere close. There's no coherence to their message, no strategy, no coordination of talking points like you get on Fox.  For example, Fox News management sends out a memo every morning saying what the talking points of the day are to be. Every single pundit and "newscaster" gets on board and repeats the same points all day long. By lunchtime Republican congressmen are using the same language.

On MSNBC it's all up to the discretion of individual broadcasters, and they seem to spend most of their time reacting to what the Fox heads and hate radio up and down the AM dial has to say, rather than setting their own agenda.

Fox are the masters of propaganda.

Obscure Republican lawmaker indicted for corruption or some other scandal? Okay, report it, but "accidentally" put a D beside his name rather than an R.

Democrat being interviewed and hitting every point out of the park? Flash a few distracting graphics up while he's talking.

Obama kicking the GOP's ass in a meeting? Cut the feed and say "we've got to leave it there..." while every other network keeps up the live coverage.

US military using snipers? Call them "sharp shooters" instead.

Democrats talking about ending the mission in Iraq? Talk about "staying the course" instead of setting a "surrender date."

Millions of people marching in Washington for gay rights? Ignore it. One person protesting somewhere in the middle of nowhere for a conservative cause? Send a camera crew for a live outside broadcast even if you're 24 hours too late.

If you're telling me that CNN or any other network comes anywhere close to that level of sophistication then I've got a bridge to sell you.

J70

Quote from: J70 on December 27, 2014, 08:01:03 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on December 27, 2014, 06:05:52 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 27, 2014, 03:56:05 PM
What's your opinion, Foxcommander, on Fox News, Limbaugh and their lackeys putting the outrage machine into overdrive over the murder of the two cops, blaming DeBlasio and Sharpton, when there was nary a mention of the various murders of cops earlier this year by right wing, anti-government idiots? The recent seven week manhunt for the survivalist dude who walked up behind and put a bullet in the head of an unsuspecting PA state trooper was hardly covered by comparison. No political angles to be exploited explored in those murders...

Both sides of the media play their games. You have to be stupid not to see it.
If you watch CNN you'll see how biased they are and working towards another agenda. They give people like Roland Martin and Donna Brazil airtime to spew their views to the public and what they believe is certainly not hidden.
They covered the Trayvon Martin case like he was a saint and pretty much the same for Michael Brown, even transmitting his funeral!! I'm surprised they didn't ask Elton John to play Candle in the Wind at the gig, he was such a good lad.

CNN has nowhere near the influence in driving political discussion that Fox News and the right wing talk radio has. And having talking heads on to comment is not the same as having talking heads as presenters and drivers of interviews and agendas. There is no equivalent of Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity on CNN. There is no equivalent of Rush Limbaugh or his hordes of immitators to bring power to bear on the left. And Fox NEws and talk radio basically work hand-in-hand. CNN, MSNBC etc are irrelevant by comparison to them. Tell us one Democratic politician who really gives a shit what CNN or MSNBC say. Now look at the power Fox/talk radio have over Republicans.

That's not true. CNN is just as visible if not more than Fox. and as for the presenters.... Wolf Blitzer, Candy Crowley, Soledad O'Brien etc. certainly aren't impartial, even though they try to portray themselves that way. Not very difficult to pick up on the stations democratic leanings.

and as for Don Lemon..he must be Jesse Jackson's secret lovechild. I don't think I've ever watched a more biased presenter in all my life and that's saying something.

Seriously,  if you honestly think Wolf Blitzer or Candy Crowley comes anywhere close to replicating the influence of O'Reilly, Hannity, Limbaugh,  Levin and the rest of them in American politics,  you're either ignorant or deluded.

And in terms of pure market share, the most recent numbers a quick Google search turns up are from 2011, when Fox averaged about 2 million, MSNBC about 0.75 million and CNN about 0.65.

I dont think I've ever heard of Don Lemon!

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 28, 2014, 04:25:53 AM

Bull. CNN is quickly becoming irrelevant and is best known for being the channel that plays in airport lounges. They had their moment at the start of the Gulf War but that's long gone.  MSNBC tries to be the left's equivalent of Fox but doesn't come anywhere close. There's no coherence to their message, no strategy, no coordination of talking points like you get on Fox.  For example, Fox News management sends out a memo every morning saying what the talking points of the day are to be. Every single pundit and "newscaster" gets on board and repeats the same points all day long. By lunchtime Republican congressmen are using the same language.

On MSNBC it's all up to the discretion of individual broadcasters, and they seem to spend most of their time reacting to what the Fox heads and hate radio up and down the AM dial has to say, rather than setting their own agenda.

Fox are the masters of propaganda.

Obscure Republican lawmaker indicted for corruption or some other scandal? Okay, report it, but "accidentally" put a D beside his name rather than an R.

Democrat being interviewed and hitting every point out of the park? Flash a few distracting graphics up while he's talking.

Obama kicking the GOP's ass in a meeting? Cut the feed and say "we've got to leave it there..." while every other network keeps up the live coverage.

US military using snipers? Call them "sharp shooters" instead.

Democrats talking about ending the mission in Iraq? Talk about "staying the course" instead of setting a "surrender date."

Millions of people marching in Washington for gay rights? Ignore it. One person protesting somewhere in the middle of nowhere for a conservative cause? Send a camera crew for a live outside broadcast even if you're 24 hours too late.

If you're telling me that CNN or any other network comes anywhere close to that level of sophistication then I've got a bridge to sell you.

I'm glad you at least acknowledge it. The simple fact that they show CNN in airport lounges is enough to show how they want people to think.
To be honest anyone who takes the likes of O'Reilly, Hannity etc seriously needs their head checked. Ditto the democrat cheerleaders.

And even if you haven't heard of him (god knows how) Don Lemon is still an odious twerp.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Eamonnca1

Quote from: foxcommander on December 28, 2014, 05:23:06 AM
I'm glad you at least acknowledge it. The simple fact that they show CNN in airport lounges is enough to show how they want people to think.

I really don't know what to make of that.

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 28, 2014, 05:39:27 AM

Its a bit like wearing a Liverpool or man u jersey to a game. You can tell who is supported by what they show.
clearer for you?

Eamonnca1

"They"?  The people who select the channel in airport departure lounges? They're in on the liberal conspiracy? Do you not think it's a bit more probable that CNN is considered neutral enough that it's considered safe to screen in public, whereas MSNBC or Fox would generate a deluge of complaints?

I've heard right wing blowhards complain for years about "liberal bias" in the "mainstream media." Stephen Colbert summed it up when he said the "reality has a well-known liberal bias."  Conservative America has retreated so far into its alternate reality (in which Obama was born in Kenya and global warming is a hoax) that any media that reports in a neutral manner can be accused of reporting in a liberal manner. The only "bias" I ever see in the "mainstream media" is in the direction of sensationalism and gossip, not to the left. In fact if anything the mainstream media goes too far out of its way to accommodate the mad right with its "equal time to nutjobs" doctrine.

muppet

Quote from: whitey on December 28, 2014, 12:16:02 AM
Quote from: muppet on December 27, 2014, 11:34:18 PM
Quote from: whitey on December 27, 2014, 09:52:30 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 27, 2014, 09:47:27 PM
Quote from: whitey on December 27, 2014, 09:32:13 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 27, 2014, 09:20:44 PM
Is this where you got the 13 murders line Whitey: http://www.liberalforum.org/index.php?/topic/170755-13-murders-in-chicago-since-december-1-2014-but-no-one-cares/

Actually I got it here....

http://homicides.suntimes.com

I have a particular interest in Chicago as thats where 99% of my US relatives live and I spend a lot of time out there. I have some extended family/friends involved in law enforcement out there, and have heard some of their horror stories first hand. 

I met a guy on a night out once who was a cop in the CHA....Chicago Housing Authority....he could tell you stories that would turn your hair white.

Its borderline impossible to even comprehend the levels of poverty, abuse , violence and hopelessness........http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-sex-trafficking-sentencing-met-20141017-story.html

But Whitey, this is what you said:

Quote13 people murdered in Chicago this week so far.......NOT A WORD!!!!!!

Nowhere in the article does it mention anything like that.

Ehhhhh........Im confused.........What are you questioning...the number of murders.....or the fact that we havent heard a chorus of outrage from the liberal apologists

heres another source: http://homicides.redeyechicago.com/date/2014/12/

That link doesn't match your claim '13 people murdered in Chicago this week so far' either Whitey.  :D

The police are supposed to protect the community, not shoot unarmed people. Your pointing to other shootings doesn't hide that in any way. A good start would be for people to admit mistakes instead of trying to cover them up.

Hmmmm.....I think you're right.  I read somewhere that there were 13 but that number may not be entirely accurate

There's 10 here

5700 N. Campbell Ave.
West Ridge   Gunshot
David Drayton, 23
> Read more   12/26/14   300 E. 47th St.
Grand Boulevard   Gunshot
Name Unknown, 52
> Read more   12/25/14   1900 S. Trumbull Ave.
North Lawndale   Gunshot
Name Unknown, 20
> Read more   12/23/14   7800 S. Lowe Ave.
Auburn Gresham   Gunshot
Hakizimana Scott, 38
> Read more   12/23/14   1100 N. Leclaire Ave.
Austin   Gunshot
Glenn Houston, Jr., 23
> Read more   12/23/14   400 E. 79th St.
Greater Grand Crossing   Gunshot
Abraham Cooper, 19
> Read more   12/23/14   400 N. Lawler Ave.
Austin   Gunshot
Youman McKenzie, 23
> Read more   12/23/14   500 S. Central Park Blvd.
East Garfield Park   Gunshot
Ricardo Ruvalcaba, 18
> Read more
> Follow-up coverage   12/22/14   5500 W. 63rd Pl.
Clearing   Gunshot
Miguel Haro, 44
> Read more   12/21/14   7200 S. Hermitage Ave.
West Englewood   Gunshot

And then these other 2 deaths where people were charged with murder.....so that's 12 instead of 13. My bad

Youman McKenzie was fatally shot in the East Garfield Park neighborhood early Tuesday.

McKenzie, 23, was shot in the shoulder and left thigh in the 500 block of South Central Park Avenue about 2:40 a.m., authorities.

Witnesses told police McKenzie was exchanging gunfire with another person when he was shot, authorities said.
Read more

Filed under: Youman McKenzie

Prosecutors: Domestic abuse incident led to vehicular death
Posted Dec. 23, 2014, 3:50 p.m. by Michael Lansu | 4 Comments
Jason Rayford / Photo from Chicago Police

BY RUMMANA HUSSAIN
Chicago Sun-Times

A far South Side man punched his wife as she drove a car and yanked the steering wheel, causing her to strike and kill a pedestrian over the weekend, Cook County prosecutors said.

Jason Rayford allegedly began arguing with one of two passengers who were seated in the black of the Chevrolet Impala as his wife made her way southbound on Western Avenue at 53rds Street early Sunday morning.

When his wife tried to intervene, Rayford, who was the front seat passenger, started punching her with a closed fist, Assistant State's Attorney Lashunda Cooperwood said at his bond hearing Tuesday.
Read more

Filed under: Reporter's Notebook

Suspected gunman charged with murder after getaway driver dies in crash
Posted Dec. 23, 2014, 3:13 p.m. by Michael Lansu | 8 Comments
Scene where Deandra Washington was killed in a crash / Photo from NVP

BY JORDAN OWEN
Sun-Times Media

A Dolton man suspected in a non-fatal drive-by shooting has been charged with murder after his alleged getaway driver died when he crashed in the South Chicago neighborhood while attempting to allude police.

Officers parked in an alley conducting surveillance on a home in the 8000 block of South Manistee Avenue saw 22-year-old James Hopkins walk up to the house in a black hooded-sweatshirt and open fire on a man standing in the doorway about 9:45 p.m. Sunday, prosecutors said.

The 24-year-old man was shot in the leg and taken to South Shore Hospital, where he was treated and released, authorities said.

After the shooting, Hopkins got into the front passenger seat of a getaway car that fled south on Manistee Avenue, prosecutors said. One of the officers allegedly saw Hopkins remove his sweatshirt.
Read more

You were caught Whitey.  ;D

Time to stop the spoofing.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on December 28, 2014, 06:02:00 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 28, 2014, 05:39:27 AM

Its a bit like wearing a Liverpool or man u jersey to a game. You can tell who is supported by what they show.
clearer for you?

But they are both football clubs.

CNN is a TV channel, Fox News is a medium to persuade stupid people that they should give money to rich people to protect them.

BTW I am a Nigerian Princess and I need to stash $100M dollars in a nice person's account. If you know anyone who can help contact me at HookLine&Sinker@PoorRupert.Con
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: muppet on December 28, 2014, 06:50:49 AM
Quote from: whitey on December 28, 2014, 12:16:02 AM
Quote from: muppet on December 27, 2014, 11:34:18 PM
Quote from: whitey on December 27, 2014, 09:52:30 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 27, 2014, 09:47:27 PM
Quote from: whitey on December 27, 2014, 09:32:13 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 27, 2014, 09:20:44 PM
Is this where you got the 13 murders line Whitey: http://www.liberalforum.org/index.php?/topic/170755-13-murders-in-chicago-since-december-1-2014-but-no-one-cares/

Actually I got it here....

http://homicides.suntimes.com

I have a particular interest in Chicago as thats where 99% of my US relatives live and I spend a lot of time out there. I have some extended family/friends involved in law enforcement out there, and have heard some of their horror stories first hand. 

I met a guy on a night out once who was a cop in the CHA....Chicago Housing Authority....he could tell you stories that would turn your hair white.

Its borderline impossible to even comprehend the levels of poverty, abuse , violence and hopelessness........http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-sex-trafficking-sentencing-met-20141017-story.html

But Whitey, this is what you said:

Quote13 people murdered in Chicago this week so far.......NOT A WORD!!!!!!

Nowhere in the article does it mention anything like that.

Ehhhhh........Im confused.........What are you questioning...the number of murders.....or the fact that we havent heard a chorus of outrage from the liberal apologists

heres another source: http://homicides.redeyechicago.com/date/2014/12/

That link doesn't match your claim '13 people murdered in Chicago this week so far' either Whitey.  :D

The police are supposed to protect the community, not shoot unarmed people. Your pointing to other shootings doesn't hide that in any way. A good start would be for people to admit mistakes instead of trying to cover them up.

Hmmmm.....I think you're right.  I read somewhere that there were 13 but that number may not be entirely accurate

There's 10 here

5700 N. Campbell Ave.
West Ridge   Gunshot
David Drayton, 23
> Read more   12/26/14   300 E. 47th St.
Grand Boulevard   Gunshot
Name Unknown, 52
> Read more   12/25/14   1900 S. Trumbull Ave.
North Lawndale   Gunshot
Name Unknown, 20
> Read more   12/23/14   7800 S. Lowe Ave.
Auburn Gresham   Gunshot
Hakizimana Scott, 38
> Read more   12/23/14   1100 N. Leclaire Ave.
Austin   Gunshot
Glenn Houston, Jr., 23
> Read more   12/23/14   400 E. 79th St.
Greater Grand Crossing   Gunshot
Abraham Cooper, 19
> Read more   12/23/14   400 N. Lawler Ave.
Austin   Gunshot
Youman McKenzie, 23
> Read more   12/23/14   500 S. Central Park Blvd.
East Garfield Park   Gunshot
Ricardo Ruvalcaba, 18
> Read more
> Follow-up coverage   12/22/14   5500 W. 63rd Pl.
Clearing   Gunshot
Miguel Haro, 44
> Read more   12/21/14   7200 S. Hermitage Ave.
West Englewood   Gunshot

And then these other 2 deaths where people were charged with murder.....so that's 12 instead of 13. My bad

Youman McKenzie was fatally shot in the East Garfield Park neighborhood early Tuesday.

McKenzie, 23, was shot in the shoulder and left thigh in the 500 block of South Central Park Avenue about 2:40 a.m., authorities.

Witnesses told police McKenzie was exchanging gunfire with another person when he was shot, authorities said.
Read more

Filed under: Youman McKenzie

Prosecutors: Domestic abuse incident led to vehicular death
Posted Dec. 23, 2014, 3:50 p.m. by Michael Lansu | 4 Comments

BY RUMMANA HUSSAIN
Chicago Sun-Times

A far South Side man punched his wife as she drove a car and yanked the steering wheel, causing her to strike and kill a pedestrian over the weekend, Cook County prosecutors said.

Jason Rayford allegedly began arguing with one of two passengers who were seated in the black of the Chevrolet Impala as his wife made her way southbound on Western Avenue at 53rds Street early Sunday morning.

When his wife tried to intervene, Rayford, who was the front seat passenger, started punching her with a closed fist, Assistant State's Attorney Lashunda Cooperwood said at his bond hearing Tuesday.
Read more

Filed under: Reporter's Notebook

Suspected gunman charged with murder after getaway driver dies in crash
Posted Dec. 23, 2014, 3:13 p.m. by Michael Lansu | 8 Comments

BY JORDAN OWEN
Sun-Times Media

A Dolton man suspected in a non-fatal drive-by shooting has been charged with murder after his alleged getaway driver died when he crashed in the South Chicago neighborhood while attempting to allude police.

Officers parked in an alley conducting surveillance on a home in the 8000 block of South Manistee Avenue saw 22-year-old James Hopkins walk up to the house in a black hooded-sweatshirt and open fire on a man standing in the doorway about 9:45 p.m. Sunday, prosecutors said.

The 24-year-old man was shot in the leg and taken to South Shore Hospital, where he was treated and released, authorities said.

After the shooting, Hopkins got into the front passenger seat of a getaway car that fled south on Manistee Avenue, prosecutors said. One of the officers allegedly saw Hopkins remove his sweatshirt.
Read more

You were caught Whitey.  ;D

Time to stop the spoofing.

http://heyjackass.com/category/2014-chicago-crime-murder-stats/

YAWWWWWNNNNN........

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on December 28, 2014, 06:55:41 AM

CNN is a TV channel, Fox News is a medium to persuade stupid people that they should give money to rich people to protect them.

And tv stations have followers, just like political parties and football teams. I presume you were being deliberately ignorant there.
CNN is liberal claptrap which dedicates programming to some very narrow subjects (basically minorities bitching about not getting enough money and trying to stick a guilt trip to America. You know, the same tactic that elected the president).  That's certainly not TV for all.

muppet

Quote from: whitey on December 28, 2014, 12:18:51 PM

YAWWWWWNNNNN........

Finally. An far right-wing blog was the source, not a newspaper as you originally claimed.

Interesting site that. It got website of the week on http://weaponsman.com/?p=9505 no less.

But if you blow up the picture you can see the types of homicide, including 'police homicide'. The ones with the black dots are police homicides.

Saying no one has mentioned the other murders last week is nothing more than a straw man argument and is irrelevant to the debate. It would be the same as me saying 'not pointing at all the other police homicides proves we are not cop haters'. Each case is unique and must be assessed individually, which is what an investigation and a court case would de, if they were allowed to happen.

But it is very obvious that those saying it is ok to shoot unarmed black men have to base their arguments gimmicks such as faux outrage at the lack of outrage regarding some other outrage. No one is fooled by this stuff.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on December 28, 2014, 02:42:21 PM

And tv stations have followers, just like political parties and football teams. I presume you were being deliberately ignorant there.
CNN is liberal claptrap which dedicates programming to some very narrow subjects (basically minorities bitching about not getting enough money and trying to stick a guilt trip to America. You know, the same tactic that elected the president).  That's certainly not TV for all.

No TV is TV for all. None of it.

But you are right, minorities shouldn't be on TV. Their poverty is an Act of God and should be let run its course. The great Charles Trevelyan would have approved of you thinking I'm sure.

As for this: 'TV stations have followers'!

;D ;D ;D

Really? Maybe on your planet but I have yet to meet football fan equivalents who support TV channels. The despicable Fox News obviously accepted.
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: muppet on December 28, 2014, 03:48:17 PM

YAWWWWWNNNNN........

Finally. An far right-wing blog was the source, not a newspaper as you originally claimed.

Interesting site that. It got website of the week on http://weaponsman.com/?p=9505 no less.

But if you blow up the picture you can see the types of homicide, including 'police homicide'. The ones with the black dots are police homicides.

Saying no one has mentioned the other murders last week is nothing more than a straw man argument and is irrelevant to the debate. It would be the same as me saying 'not pointing at all the other police homicides proves we are not cop haters'. Each case is unique and must be assessed individually, which is what an investigation and a court case would de, if they were allowed to happen.

But it is very obvious that those saying it is ok to shoot unarmed black men have to base their arguments gimmicks such as faux outrage at the lack of outrage regarding some other outrage. No one is fooled by this stuff.

Address the black on black murders and stop changing the subject. Doesn't matter where I got them. Whether it's 10,11 or 12 it's a bloody disgrace and the silence from the black leDership is deafening

Easier to. Lame the cops than take responsibility

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on December 28, 2014, 02:42:21 PM

I don't watch CNN with any regularity, so perhaps you could list some of these programmes they apparently saturate their schedule with. I was under the impression that they were just wall-to-wall hype/overkill of whatever the story of the day is, whether it is missing or downed airliners, weather disasters, Ebola, the elections etc.

I voted for Obama twice. I know quite a few people who did likewise.

Not once has minorities bitching about getting money and trying to guilt trip America come up in conversation.

To be honest, I generally vote defensively i.e. against the anti-intellectualism, anti-science, bigotry, homophobia, anti-environmentalism etc. of the national GOP.

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 28, 2014, 04:43:32 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 28, 2014, 03:48:17 PM

YAWWWWWNNNNN........

Address the black on black murders and stop changing the subject. Doesn't matter where I got them. Whether it's 10,11 or 12 it's a bloody disgrace and the silence from the black leDership is deafening

Easier to. Lame the cops than take responsibility

Yes, perhaps Sharpton might have chosen an event like Michael Brown's funeral to talk about black on black crime...  oh wait, he did! (not that Fox News would tell you this)

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/al-sharpton-michael-brown-eulogy

Perhaps he should have gone to Chicago to lend his influence... oh wait, he did!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chapman/ct-black-crime-ferguson-sharpton-jason-riley-steve-20140820-column.html

What about after a bad weekend of shootings in Harlem in 2008... yes, then too...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/rev-al-sharpton-talk-violence-black-neighborhoods-article-1.292142

That's just the first few links on a Google search.