The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

seafoid

It looks like the many faces of US politics include more than a few Hispanic features. Which is very sad for the white conservatives who vote Republican.

ardal

Quote from: ballela-angel on November 08, 2012, 02:37:16 PM
was only going to b 1 outcome. Romney was a poor selection to run.
Does this mean Hilary will be closer in 2016?
If they put forward hilary in 2016 she will lose. Chris Christie is a shoe in for the Republicans as a candidate in 2016

With Bill in her corner why would you think that?
she isn't well liked on the ground from what I hear.

She'll light up the Democrats something wicked and be a lighting rod for the conservative anger - She'll do well with capturing the non-Democratic female vote, and her form so far as Secretary of State will win over a lot of Independentents (most of whom are past registered Republicans unhappy with the right-wing leaning of the current Republican Party)

Come straight out and say it as it is. Maybe I'm stupid, but are you saying Hilary will do it or not?

Eamonnca1

Gawd Jon Stewart was on fire last night!  (He's been on fire the whole way through this campaign IMNSHO.)  It was like watching years of denial on Fox News melting away in the face of the relentless onslaught of reality.  Even when all the other networks were calling Ohio for Obama at 76% reporting they still had Karl Rove claiming that Romney was going to pull a last-minute surprise and win it against impossible odds.

It's truly fascinating to see insights into the minds of these people, the way they reject reality in favour of a world view that they feel more comfortable with no matter how false it is.  And when reality finally hit them after all these years, the looks on their faces were just priceless.

Puckoon

I watched The O'Reilly factor last night when I got home, couldnt help it if truth be told.

Bill had independent contributors on and they all repeated that the GOP needed to re-invent itself in the aftermath of this election. He would tell them repeatedly "I'm not too sure about that, if the economy doesn't improve significantly in the next 4 years, the Democrats will evaporate"

This is from the guy who's tag line is "The spin stops here".

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 08, 2012, 05:46:45 PM
Gawd Jon Stewart was on fire last night!  (He's been on fire the whole way through this campaign IMNSHO.)  It was like watching years of denial on Fox News melting away in the face of the relentless onslaught of reality.  Even when all the other networks were calling Ohio for Obama at 76% reporting they still had Karl Rove claiming that Romney was going to pull a last-minute surprise and win it against impossible odds.

It's truly fascinating to see insights into the minds of these people, the way they reject reality in favour of a world view that they feel more comfortable with no matter how false it is.  And when reality finally hit them after all these years, the looks on their faces were just priceless.

I happened to be watching Fox on election night, just to see the reaction of the pundits, to be fair to Fox they called the Election for Obama before most of the other channels including CNN. The funny thing was that they started to second guess themselves when Carl Rove started giving his spin on the numbers.

The Iceman

Chris Christie and Condoleeza Rice as his VP and they take it easy.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Puckoon on November 08, 2012, 05:49:55 PM
I watched The O'Reilly factor last night when I got home, couldnt help it if truth be told.

Bill had independent contributors on and they all repeated that the GOP needed to re-invent itself in the aftermath of this election. He would tell them repeatedly "I'm not too sure about that, if the economy doesn't improve significantly in the next 4 years, the Democrats will evaporate"

Jesus! And Bill's not the worst of them either, he's positively sane compared to most of them.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: The Iceman on November 08, 2012, 06:21:40 PM

Colin Powell would be a serious challenger but he had pissed everyone off in the GOP with his endorsement of Obama.

NetNitrate

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 08, 2012, 06:29:24 PM

Jesus! And Bill's not the worst of them either, he's positively sane compared to most of them.

Put myself through the punishment of watching O'Reilly Factor too, just to see if he would admit that himself and Karl Rove got it seriously wrong on Monday night when Rove proudly held up his electoral college map showing Romney with 285. Bill said he agreed with every state except New Hampshire, which still meant O'Reilly had Romney pegged for 279 and therefore the presidency. Last night he had expert analysis on why Romney lost, as if he knew this was going to happen all along. They got it seriously wrong. Other clowns like Dick Morris got it wrong by wider margins. Meanwhile you had conservative media lambasting Nate Silver of Five Thirty Eight blog on NYT. If Florida goes for Obama, he will have got every state correct with his deeper analysis of data. Lot of soul searching going on now by pundits who got it seriously wrong with some suggesting that with Silver getting it right on a constant basis, it might hopefully put an end to the hot air pundits whose numbers tend to be more wishful thinking or an effort to influence the election (as many polls are ideologically biased - eg all those Republican polls that said PA was in play for example). Lot of folks (my wife's family) are walking around in a state of shock now because they only watch Fox news and Fox led them to believe this was going to be a landslide. Had they followed Silver, they'd have known all along that the electoral college vote was not even going to be close.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: NetNitrate on November 08, 2012, 07:25:33 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 08, 2012, 06:29:24 PM

Put myself through the punishment of watching O'Reilly Factor too, just to see if he would admit that himself and Karl Rove got it seriously wrong on Monday night when Rove proudly held up his electoral college map showing Romney with 285. Bill said he agreed with every state except New Hampshire, which still meant O'Reilly had Romney pegged for 279 and therefore the presidency. Last night he had expert analysis on why Romney lost, as if he knew this was going to happen all along. They got it seriously wrong. Other clowns like Dick Morris got it wrong by wider margins. Meanwhile you had conservative media lambasting Nate Silver of Five Thirty Eight blog on NYT. If Florida goes for Obama, he will have got every state correct with his deeper analysis of data. Lot of soul searching going on now by pundits who got it seriously wrong with some suggesting that with Silver getting it right on a constant basis, it might hopefully put an end to the hot air pundits whose numbers tend to be more wishful thinking or an effort to influence the election (as many polls are ideologically biased - eg all those Republican polls that said PA was in play for example). Lot of folks (my wife's family) are walking around in a state of shock now because they only watch Fox news and Fox led them to believe this was going to be a landslide. Had they followed Silver, they'd have known all along that the electoral college vote was not even going to be close.

The Bookies had it 1/5 Obama and 3/1 Romney on Sunday, Vegas is usually pretty close when giving out the odds and more reliable than Fox ;)

ballela-angel

Come straight out and say it as it is. Maybe I'm stupid, but are you saying Hilary will do it or not?
Sorry for not being clearer - I think she could do it
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: FL/MAYO on November 08, 2012, 06:55:08 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on November 08, 2012, 06:21:40 PM

Colin Powell would be a serious challenger but he had pissed everyone off in the GOP with his endorsement of Obama.

He would have pissed off the exact sort of extremists that the GOP needs to lose. Him and Bloomberg on the same ticket would be a strong one IMHO.

Syferus

Both sides pander to their loons in the media and at election time but tend to tone it down when it comes time for the rubber to hit the road.

The Republicans really can't change on issues like abortion and nor should they. It's immigration where they will win or lose future elections. They have to lose the image of the party trying to deport half of latino peoples' families or they'll never have the traction they need in those communities that tend to be otherwise socially and fiscally conservative. Without a serious tact change there it's going to be increasingly harder for Republican candidates to win the presidency.

Declan

I'm guessing Mitt won't need this website anymore ;)