The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: Declan on October 11, 2012, 07:44:05 AM
Good to see Romney carrying on as before - it really is a horrible business
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19905786

Hey Deccy, can you doodle me a pic if the Prez's nose now, after all he did lie about America's involvement in Libya!

Cover up's don't sit well with the yanks...........hence the fact that some polls have shown Romney ahead for the first time.

The two parties have, since Clinton left, had the worst candidates for  both the role of President and Vice President in the countries history.

The VP debate is on tonight, it will be interesting because he is the smoking gun of the whole election, in that he can't help himself from inserting his size twelve into his pie hole.

The Prez has not allowed Biden to give an interview since May, the liberal media give him a free pass on that, say what you want about his opponent but he has given 200 interviews since he was nominated as Romney's running mate.

For the first time

El Presidente has lied and tried to cover up his administrations in Ly
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Harold Disgracey

heganboy

Quote from: stew on October 11, 2012, 03:06:04 PM

The VP debate is on tonight, it will be interesting because he is the smoking gun of the whole election, in that he can't help himself from inserting his size twelve into his pie hole.

Stew,
you could be talking about either muppet there unfortunately, and either of them is a heartbeat or a sniper's bullet away from the big job. However that also assumes that either would do a worse job than the guy in the hotseat, and I'm not sure thats true either.

Still, I think the odds are strongly in Obama's favour right now
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stew

Quote from: heganboy on October 11, 2012, 04:30:25 PM
Quote from: stew on October 11, 2012, 03:06:04 PM

Stew,
you could be talking about either muppet there unfortunately, and either of them is a heartbeat or a sniper's bullet away from the big job. However that also assumes that either would do a worse job than the guy in the hotseat, and I'm not sure thats true either.

Damn, hegan, that does not even bare thinking about.

Still, I think the odds are strongly in Obama's favour right now

87% of yanks have said in polls that this debate will in no way change their opinion on whom they vote for, 70 million will watch it live, I am going to watch because I am fascinated to see how many times that arsewipe Biden fcuks up in 90 minutes. :)

Iowa, the most crucial  swing state is still with Obama.......................just. I expect him to win if he wins the last debate and is not rocked on his heels again like he was the last time.

Obama needs to come out swinging, know what the feck he is talking about and not debate like he had a lobotomy prior to taking the stage, he will be fine..............I think.

stew

Just thought of this, if Obama keeled over dead or got plugged Biden,a Catholic would be the nation's second Catholic President...............if this happened tomorrow Romney would be a shoe in for the election, better a Morman President than a Catholic one.

heganboy

Quote from: stew on October 11, 2012, 11:38:19 PM
Just thought of this, if Obama keeled over dead or got plugged Biden,a Catholic would be the nation's second Catholic President...............if this happened tomorrow Romney would be a shoe in for the election, better a Morman President than a Catholic one.

Paul Ryan could be the second catholic president, you're telling me thats not scarier than Biden? (marginally, just marginally)
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Eamonnca1

I think this is how things looked on the way home for Biden

deiseach

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 12, 2012, 05:45:50 AM
I think this is how things looked on the way home for Biden

Whoever did that must be one of the 47%.

stew

Quote from: heganboy on October 12, 2012, 05:06:28 AM
Quote from: stew on October 11, 2012, 11:38:19 PM

Paul Ryan could be the second catholic president, you're telling me thats not scarier than Biden? (marginally, just marginally)

From what I saw last night from Biden, I would take Ryan all day long over that clown Biden.

Biden looked like 'smiling Bob' from those tv ads that pimped hard on pills! his behavior last night was hardly that of a statesman.

I thought they fought to a draw, the problem for Obama now is that his minion has thrown the entire intelligence community under the bus pertaining to Libya, and he has senior military officials coming out and stating that the administration is lying and that they did in fact know about the situation.

The consulate asked for an extra detachment of marines to help secure the safety of the staff in the consulate, they were denied and people died, including the top man himself. The cover up and deniability machine is in full swing, I think that Romney will have a field day with this however I also think Obama will be a new man in debate number two, it is great theater altogether.

Oraisteach

Stew,

While I agree with you that Biden's incessant smiling and his disdainful facial expressions were irritating, I don't agree that the debate was a tie.  I think Biden edged it.

In the end, he did what he was supposed to do, and what Obama failed miserably to do, which was to underscore the essential differences between the two candidates and to call to task the Republican team for pivoting positions more often than LeBron James about to take a jump shot.

In short, in a blend of fire and furor, he made listeners believe that he truly cares about the financial well-being of the middle class (why does no-one say working class?) as opposed to the Republicans who appear to care only about the ultra-rich, despite their new-found romance with ordinary people.  I think, too, that while some think Biden rude for interrupting Ryan, he did so to disrupt Ryan's pre-rehearsed "malarkey" and thereby made the debate more like a debate than a series of mini lectures.  I thought Biden was particularly effective, too, when he spoke directly to the camera imploring people to trust their instincts, and he was very effective when he challenged Ryan's opposition to the stimulus package while reminding voters that Ryan had sought stimulus money for his own state.  And I believe Biden did well to highlight the magic math inherent in Republican promises to grant large tax breaks to the rich, to increase defense expenditure, to save the popular features of Obamacare, etc., all while lowering the deficit.

Ryan did better on foreign policy than I thought he would, and perhaps his "Bean" story relating to abortion is probably the one thing that will stick beyond the weekend, though I'm not sure how well it will sway voters.  On the one hand, it will have a galvanizing effect on right-to-lifers, but they were probably voting Republican anyway, whereas Biden's response to Martha Raddatz's question about religion and abortion probably appealed to non-Christian women who fear the social conservatism of the GOP.

Though I agree with you that the Libya affair is not going away any time soon, I do think that the fate of Medicare and Social Security is weighing more heavily on voters' minds, and Biden did a better job than Ryan in making ordinary folk believe that Obama, not Romney, will safeguard those programs and will stand up for the maligned 47%.  If he did nothing else, in the very least, Biden bought Obama a few days breathing room.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Oraisteach on October 12, 2012, 08:47:18 PM
why does no-one say working class?

Because if they did they'd be branded a communist.

stew

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 12, 2012, 09:37:04 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on October 12, 2012, 08:47:18 PM
why does no-one say working class?

Because if they did they'd be branded a communist.

Because you numpty, they are different from us in that they live 3,000 miles from Ireland and use different verbiage than we do!

Eamon, you see conspiracies everywhere dont you? Is your surname McCarthy by any chance???

NetNitrate

Brazen bunch Romney and Ryan. It was Ryan and Republicans that voted down the funds for more embassy security. More bad news fo Republicans on their home front as largest banks report record profits because of the improving economy.Expect to only hear about Libya going forward. But even there, it's emerging it was embassy in Tripoli that requested more security which was denied because of Ryan and his buddies vote.

omochain

Stew: do you refer to this McCarthy  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_McCarthy  or this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_McCarthy
I think Eamonn's views are more alingned with Eugene and in the case of McCarthy eile " Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile"

stew

Quote from: NetNitrate on October 13, 2012, 03:31:26 AM
Brazen bunch Romney and Ryan. It was Ryan and Republicans that voted down the funds for more embassy security. More bad news fo Republicans on their home front as largest banks report record profits because of the improving economy.Expect to only hear about Libya going forward. But even there, it's emerging it was embassy in Tripoli that requested more security which was denied because of Ryan and his buddies vote.

So naturally, Clinton takes the fall for Ryan and Romney.............makes perfect sense.

The cover up is on......McCain called it as it is and Romney, if he does well tonight will take the lead in the swing States.

They all lie, however this one is a doozy, the election cannot come quickly enough for the Prez! It's nice that in the town hall debate the prez will not have the use of a teleprompter, so far he has been shite without one.

It's all gone very quiet on here...........................wonder why?   :-\