The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 13, 2011, 11:37:58 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on October 12, 2011, 11:00:58 PM
Wasn't Krugman an adviser to Enron also :-[ or am I mistaken  :-X

Just so we're clear, do you have a problem with anyone associated with Enron?

Apparently Krugman spent four days serving on an advisory panel to them in 1999, which he said in retrospect looked to be a PR stunt on Enron's part. Michele Malkin mentioned it the other day when mocking a piece he wrote on the Wall St protests. I presume that's why we're hearing about Krugman and Enron here this week. I wonder do people like her give the likes of Bill Kristol, who was also on the panel, and the Bush administraiton officials also there, the same shit?

Something else I didn't know about Krugman... he worked in the Reagan administration!! I wonder will that stick be used to beat him!

heganboy

Onion:

WASHINGTON—According to a Quinnipiac University poll conducted this week, a homemade anti-Obama sign has surged to the front of the 2012 Republican presidential field, emerging as the clear favorite to earn the party's nomination in next year's primaries.

The sign, which pundits say is nothing short of a GOP "dream candidate."

The telephone survey of 773 likely voters indicated the sign, a piece of poster board bearing the handwritten phrase "NOBAMA 2012" in bold red letters, would defeat former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, its nearest rival, by a landslide 17 percentage points if the primaries were held today. The poll also found the sign had a "favorable" or "highly favorable" rating among 94 percent of registered Republicans, a figure greater than all other presumptive GOP candidates combined.

"We're seeing that voters find the sign more charismatic, more likeable, and much more engaging than other Republican candidates," said political analyst Mark Halperin, adding that the poster's message resonates strongly with conservatives. "In the end, it comes down to two things: the ability to energize the party base, and the power to instill confidence and appear presidential. Right now, it's the sign by far."

"Frankly," Halperin added, "this is the brightest star to emerge from the Republican ranks in the last several elections."

According to Halperin, the 22-by-28-inch poster emerged as a serious contender for the Republican nomination because it offers a clear, consistent vision and refuses to compromise on its fundamental principles. Beltway insiders have also noted that the slogan "Liberty, not debt" on the back of the sign has solidified its appeal with the influential Tea Party bloc.

In addition, the sign has been warmly embraced by social conservatives, who are reportedly drawn to its clean image and lack of personal or political baggage. A recent Zogby poll showed that Americans who identified themselves as values voters favored the sign by a staggering 40-to-1 ratio over former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

"I like what that sign has to say," said 46-year-old Brandon LaFollette of Florence, SC, adding that while he likes the way the poster addresses all his political and economic concerns, it's also the only Republican candidate he could see himself sitting down and having a beer with. "I agree with its positions on the deficit, health care, unemployment, gas prices—everything. And it's not afraid to stand up to the president on every issue."

"Sign 2012!" he added.

Having proved its ability to rally broad segments of the political right, and having suddenly invigorated a campaign season that had been widely considered lackluster and uninspiring, the sign has prompted political pundits to anoint the glossy white placard as "the new face of the GOP" and "a modern-day Ronald Reagan."

"Unfortunately for its competitors, the sign has very few vulnerabilities," said GOP strategist Mike Murphy, who claimed the poster was poised to "coast" to the Republican nomination next August. "It communicates to voters in unambiguous, straightforward terms, it's photogenic, and it possesses a remarkable ability to stay on message."

"The fact that it set a single-day fundraising record doesn't surprise me at all," added Murphy, referring to the $40 million haul it received last Tuesday from an estimated 350,000 citizens, the National Right to Life Committee, the Altria Group, dozens of evangelical radio personalities, the National Rifle Association, the energy lobby, and Charles G. and David H. Koch.

With both moderate and hard-line conservatives lining up behind the handmade poster, Murphy said the sign should focus on the difficult task of winning over crucial independent voters. He argued that if a seasoned anti-tax bumper sticker or an American flag lapel pin were selected as its running mate, the sign could broaden its standing in swing states and pose a formidable challenge to the incumbent Obama.

As the buzz surrounding the sign continues to mount, other Republican candidates have reportedly scrambled to reframe their campaigns and capture a share of the rising voter enthusiasm.

"While the sign and I share a common vision for the future, I would hope that voters turn to a candidate with experience," former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty said. "I may not have the same gift of rhetorical flourish, and I may not be as magnetic or compelling as the poster, but this shouldn't be a popularity contest. If it were, none of us would stand a chance against the sign. We know that."

At press time, Pawlenty had dropped out of the race and was expected to make an announcement Thursday fully endorsing the sign.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: heganboy on October 14, 2011, 03:38:25 AM
Onion:

WASHINGTON—According to a Quinnipiac University poll conducted this week, a homemade anti-Obama sign has surged to the front of the 2012 Republican presidential field, emerging as the clear favorite to earn the party's nomination in next year's primaries.

The sign, which pundits say is nothing short of a GOP "dream candidate."

The telephone survey of 773 likely voters indicated the sign, a piece of poster board bearing the handwritten phrase "NOBAMA 2012" in bold red letters, would defeat former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, its nearest rival, by a landslide 17 percentage points if the primaries were held today. The poll also found the sign had a "favorable" or "highly favorable" rating among 94 percent of registered Republicans, a figure greater than all other presumptive GOP candidates combined.

"We're seeing that voters find the sign more charismatic, more likeable, and much more engaging than other Republican candidates," said political analyst Mark Halperin, adding that the poster's message resonates strongly with conservatives. "In the end, it comes down to two things: the ability to energize the party base, and the power to instill confidence and appear presidential. Right now, it's the sign by far."

"Frankly," Halperin added, "this is the brightest star to emerge from the Republican ranks in the last several elections."

According to Halperin, the 22-by-28-inch poster emerged as a serious contender for the Republican nomination because it offers a clear, consistent vision and refuses to compromise on its fundamental principles. Beltway insiders have also noted that the slogan "Liberty, not debt" on the back of the sign has solidified its appeal with the influential Tea Party bloc.

In addition, the sign has been warmly embraced by social conservatives, who are reportedly drawn to its clean image and lack of personal or political baggage. A recent Zogby poll showed that Americans who identified themselves as values voters favored the sign by a staggering 40-to-1 ratio over former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

"I like what that sign has to say," said 46-year-old Brandon LaFollette of Florence, SC, adding that while he likes the way the poster addresses all his political and economic concerns, it's also the only Republican candidate he could see himself sitting down and having a beer with. "I agree with its positions on the deficit, health care, unemployment, gas prices—everything. And it's not afraid to stand up to the president on every issue."

"Sign 2012!" he added.

Having proved its ability to rally broad segments of the political right, and having suddenly invigorated a campaign season that had been widely considered lackluster and uninspiring, the sign has prompted political pundits to anoint the glossy white placard as "the new face of the GOP" and "a modern-day Ronald Reagan."

"Unfortunately for its competitors, the sign has very few vulnerabilities," said GOP strategist Mike Murphy, who claimed the poster was poised to "coast" to the Republican nomination next August. "It communicates to voters in unambiguous, straightforward terms, it's photogenic, and it possesses a remarkable ability to stay on message."

"The fact that it set a single-day fundraising record doesn't surprise me at all," added Murphy, referring to the $40 million haul it received last Tuesday from an estimated 350,000 citizens, the National Right to Life Committee, the Altria Group, dozens of evangelical radio personalities, the National Rifle Association, the energy lobby, and Charles G. and David H. Koch.

With both moderate and hard-line conservatives lining up behind the handmade poster, Murphy said the sign should focus on the difficult task of winning over crucial independent voters. He argued that if a seasoned anti-tax bumper sticker or an American flag lapel pin were selected as its running mate, the sign could broaden its standing in swing states and pose a formidable challenge to the incumbent Obama.

As the buzz surrounding the sign continues to mount, other Republican candidates have reportedly scrambled to reframe their campaigns and capture a share of the rising voter enthusiasm.

"While the sign and I share a common vision for the future, I would hope that voters turn to a candidate with experience," former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty said. "I may not have the same gift of rhetorical flourish, and I may not be as magnetic or compelling as the poster, but this shouldn't be a popularity contest. If it were, none of us would stand a chance against the sign. We know that."

At press time, Pawlenty had dropped out of the race and was expected to make an announcement Thursday fully endorsing the sign.

This has the smell of the SEC all over it. LSU alumni are infact against the Democrats and are Anti-Alabama. No Bama?, I say Roll Tide.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Tyrones own

You really are still wet behind the ears to this
craic, aren't ye Eamonn...its like shooting fish in a
barrel around here sometimes  ;D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Declan

Maybe main street is finally waking up?

Occupy Wall Street Movement is Twice as Popular as the Tea Party: Time Poll

The Occupy Wall Street movement, is more popular than the Tea Party, according to a poll released Thursday. (Justin Sullivan/Getty; Kevin Hagen for News) The demonstrations against big banks has a 54% favorability rating compared to the conservative group's 27%, according to a new Time magazine poll.

A sizable number - 23% - said they didn't know enough about the Wall St. protesters to make a decision.

In contrast, 23% said they had a negative opinion of Occupy Wall Street compared to 65% who said the Tea Party's influence has been negative or negligible.

The new numbers come as Mayor Michael Bloomberg ordered demonstrations - who have been stationed at Zuccotti Park for the past three weeks - to temporarily vacate on Friday so the area can be cleaned.

Since the protests against big banks began in cities around the country weeks ago, many pundits and commentators have drawn comparisons between the two movements.

They argue both are grassroots initiatives fueled by anti-establishment anger - the difference being that Tea Partiers focus their antipathy on the government, and the Occupiers on big banks.

The Tea Party Patriots, the nation's largest Tea Party organization, blasted the comparison earlier this week.

Tea Partiers are "not lawbreakers, they don't hate the police, they don't even litter. A quick glance at the TV reveals the sharp contrast posed by the Wall St. occupiers," the group said in a statement.

© 2011 The New York Daily News

muppet

QuoteWhat...go back over 4500 posts just to prove you wrong, nice try though!

By the very complex and scientific method of typing the word 'Krugman' into the difficult to locate and operate Search box and then hitting Search (still with me?) I discovered that (before the mentions above) he was quoted 5 times.

One by Declan on the Bailout thread.
One by MagicKingdom
One by Baoithe on the election here
One by Tyrone's Own
One by myself where he compares Ireland and Nevada

Now that we have some facts, back to the discussion.......
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quote from: muppet on October 15, 2011, 03:51:11 PM
QuoteWhat...go back over 4500 posts just to prove you wrong, nice try though!

By the very complex and scientific method of typing the word 'Krugman' into the difficult to locate and operate Search box and then hitting Search (still with me?) I discovered that (before the mentions above) he was quoted 5 times.

One by Declan on the Bailout thread.
One by MagicKingdom
One by Baoithe on the election here
One by Tyrone's Own
One by myself where he compares Ireland and Nevada

Now that we have some facts, back to the discussion.......
Classy muppet...as only you can be ::)
  - Walter Lippmann

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Tyrones own on October 14, 2011, 05:07:05 AM

I'm not the subject of this question. Do you have a problem with anyone associated with Enron?

Tyrones own

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 19, 2011, 06:12:23 PM

I'm not the subject of this question. Do you have a problem with anyone associated with Enron?
You took the bait already you clown...you're now
reduced to biting on the bare hook :D
FYI...you've obviously a ways to go in the trolling
apprenticeship to be trying to compete here :-*
  - Walter Lippmann

heganboy

TO,
whats your thoughts on the Republican debates? Romney seems to be walking away with, I have to say (expecting derision) there is a elegant simplicity about the 9-9-9 plan. While like the fact that 84% of people would pay more tax, but so would corporations and he could actually (god forbid) balance a budget, not sure how popular that would be...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Tyrones own on October 19, 2011, 06:52:06 PM

Translation: "I don't want to answer the awkward question so I'm just going to be a complete and utter dick about it."

Tyrones own

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 19, 2011, 11:19:29 PM

Translation: "I don't want to answer the awkward question so I'm just going to be a complete and utter dick about it."
*shakes head...how can it be an awkward question when
it was bait to begin with, which you swallowed
wholesale by the way...now quit while your just a bit behind
and stop embarrassing yourself!
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

Quote from: heganboy on October 19, 2011, 08:37:25 PM
TO,
whats your thoughts on the Republican debates? Romney seems to be walking away with, I have to say (expecting derision) there is a elegant simplicity about the 9-9-9 plan. While like the fact that 84% of people would pay more tax, but so would corporations and he could actually (god forbid) balance a budget, not sure how popular that would be...
Think I caught the first two then none since and so don't
have much to report at this point.
The 999 plan is dead on arrival...good thinking but won't fly
with the bottom 50% being expected to pay any taxes at all
amongst other obvious flaws.
The balancing of a budget would be hugely popular with the average
American but again would hardly appeal to the entitlement masses
that are growing by the day because of the hit they would inevitably take.

*edit. I see he's already reneging on one of the 9's...I think Cain
has shot his load, all down hill from here for him I think!
  - Walter Lippmann

screenexile

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 19, 2011, 11:19:29 PM

Eamonnca1

Never argue with a fool - he will drag you down to his level then beat you with experience!!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: screenexile on October 20, 2011, 04:56:44 PM
Eamonnca1

Never argue with a fool - he will drag you down to his level then beat you with experience!!

Indeed. It's painful to watch, isn't it?  It's like talking to a brick wall.