The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on May 24, 2011, 06:50:43 AM
Reports that Brad Friedel has agreed a two year deal with Liverpool as understudy to Reina

He'll be a good back up keeper. Certainly an improvement on Jones. Can see them making a move for Scott Dann this week. Excellent central defender and big Liverpool fan.

angermanagement

Strange choice by Friedel but if he's happy to sit on the bench so be it.

According to some sources Downing, Dann, Enrique and two marquee signings to follow.

Doogie Browser

The local Villa press are tweeting this is a done deal, at 40 it is time to replace him at Villa anyway and he will be good cover at Anfield, I wish him all the best.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 23, 2011, 06:57:01 PM
You went all the way back 3 pages to find the thread - and that was your contribution?

Fantastic
Thanks Gab

gawa316

Really want a new english CB to come in. Is Dann the answer? What about Jones, Shawcross or Cahill? All big money mind but I guess it needs to be spent.

Haven't seen enough of Newcastle to comment on Enrique, but heard he's had a decent season. Again is he the answer?

As for the marquee signings, would love players along the lines of Hazard, Turan, Lavezzi, Sanchez. Players with that x-factor a la Suarez who can create goals out of nothing.

Downing's had a good season and Carroll would definitely prosper with himin the team.

Hope to god all business is done early and not waiting on 31st Aug to complete deals. Get them all in early and get a good preseason behind them.

Players out should be:

Degen, Poulsen, Ngog, Konch, Jovanovic, Cole and pains me to say it Aggerand Aurelio who just can't be relied ondue to  fitness. (prob missing someof the dead wood)

Geoff Tipps

Dann had a great season. He would have been in with a shout for getting on the Premiership team of the season before he got injured. B'ham pretty much fell apart without him. He's 24 and would be a good bit cheaper than the other guys mentioned. To my mind Jones, Shawcross and Cahill are way overpriced. They've done very little to justify a price of more than £10 million. None of them have played in competitive internationals or had exposure to European competition. To my mind he would represent the best value. He's an ex Liverpool season ticket holder too so will give everything on the pitch.

nifan

Quote from: gawa316 on May 24, 2011, 10:10:06 AM
Players out should be:

Degen, Poulsen, Ngog, Konch, Jovanovic, Cole and pains me to say it Aggerand Aurelio who just can't be relied ondue to  fitness. (prob missing someof the dead wood)

Painful to lose agger - though theres only so long you can hope he can put the injuries behind him. Our best defender on his day by some distance.

El Zhar, aquilani and insua all still on the books in adition to the ones you listed to go. Kyrgiakos leaving wouldnt surprise me either.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: gawa316 on May 24, 2011, 10:10:06 AM
Really want a new english CB to come in. Is Dann the answer? What about Jones, Shawcross or Cahill? All big money mind but I guess it needs to be spent.

Haven't seen enough of Newcastle to comment on Enrique, but heard he's had a decent season. Again is he the answer?

As for the marquee signings, would love players along the lines of Hazard, Turan, Lavezzi, Sanchez. Players with that x-factor a la Suarez who can create goals out of nothing.

Downing's had a good season and Carroll would definitely prosper with himin the team.

Hope to god all business is done early and not waiting on 31st Aug to complete deals. Get them all in early and get a good preseason behind them.

Players out should be:

I would prefer Dann or Jones to come in as a new CB pairing. Dann would be an excellent aquisition and Jones has huge potential. Not fussed on Cahill or Shawcross TBH.  Enrique is also one I think will end up being over priced.  I would prefer going for the Celtic LB instead as they are similar players but you'd pay 3-4 million less. I would have no problem  with any of the "dazzle" players you mentioned with maybe Hazard or Lavezzi being slightly preferred. Also see Adam coming in if Aqua definitely stays in Italy. Adam is good enough but will not be a guaranteed starter in my view.

I would add Soto, Jones and Insua to your list of players leaving. There will be money brought in for both even though Insua is out of contract. He is a homegrown player and the club gets compensation. If Friedel does come in that is great business. Outside of his football ability and his experience to bring on the younger keepers like Gulasci he is well respected in the US soccer world and will help with the promotion of the club over there and I wonder if that might be part of the deal. I would prefer to see Agger stay and I think he will. Aurelio will go. Also think the likes of Ecclestone and El Zhar will move on.

Doogie Browser

Friedel has serious money troubles if reports are to be believed also (his Academy business was declared bankrupt in the states I think), so the offer of a 2yr contract by Liverpool gives him more security.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 24, 2011, 10:44:01 AM
Friedel has serious money troubles if reports are to be believed also (his Academy business was declared bankrupt in the states I think), so the offer of a 2yr contract by Liverpool gives him more security.

There is that factor too and maybe there is something in the long term being made available to him in relation to a coaching role within the club, or with some connection to his Academy.

paco

From what I've read, Lille are unlikely to sell Hazard since they won the double and secured Champion's League qualification for another year, plus they're pretty sound financially, both of which should be enough to persuade him to stay for at least another year. Not sure about Napoli and Lavezzi, I think they've made it to the CL qualifiers but I'm not too sure what way their finances are or if they're prepared to sell.

EagleLord

Would break my heart to see Alexis Sanchez sign for another english team other than Liverpool, hes a fantastic player. Players like Lukaku, Hazard, Lavezzi would probably be out of reach for Liverpool, they will want to play in CL. Sanchez or Abel Hernandez are a little lower on the radar and may be able to be got. I liked Insua and was dissapointed when he was loaned out, he was in the team for a good spell then had a bad wee run and got shipped out asap, and a left back is needed. I would also like to see Aquilani given another shot at it. So much money was spent on him, it would be silly to not give him another crack under Kenny, He may be a man transformed. Completely disagree with sellign Agger. Hes the best defender at the club and should not even be up for debate. Agree with other dead weight like Poulson, Jovanivic and especially Cole, bad idea from the start.

Mentalman

Quote from: EagleLord on May 24, 2011, 02:33:49 PM
Completely disagree with sellign Agger. Hes the best defender at the club and should not even be up for debate.

I hate to say it but what use is the best defender at the club if he can't string two matches together? Unfortunately it maybe time to think about moving him on, he's on decent wages from what i recall, that money could be used elsewhere. However, put it to you this way, if they hold on to hime and he plays 30 games next year I'd be only too delighted to be proven wrong because himself and Carra are the perfect combination at CB, the hammer and the rapier.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

quit yo jibbajabba

really hope we can sign Dann, just so i can do my Alan Partridge impression  ;D
winds the wife up somethin shockin  ;D

EagleLord

Quote from: Mentalman on May 24, 2011, 02:48:28 PM
Quote from: EagleLord on May 24, 2011, 02:33:49 PM
Completely disagree with sellign Agger. Hes the best defender at the club and should not even be up for debate.

I hate to say it but what use is the best defender at the club if he can't string two matches together? Unfortunately it maybe time to think about moving him on, he's on decent wages from what i recall, that money could be used elsewhere. However, put it to you this way, if they hold on to hime and he plays 30 games next year I'd be only too delighted to be proven wrong because himself and Carra are the perfect combination at CB, the hammer and the rapier.

I will just be hoping his injuries are behind him really, thats all I can say! I like everything about him, he's commanding and tough, confident with the ball at his feet, good man marking, great timing of the tackle, great shot. Carra, Skretl, and the greek are missing one or more of those attributes. If he goes up for sale, alot of big clubs would be interested I expect.