The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

If an actual Liverpool fan can get a word in edgewise here in amongst all the United fans discussing the goings on at Liverpool once again. ;D

In general Benitez has done a good job at Liverpool apart from this last season. Which was awful. People forget how crap we were before he arrived bar one season under Houllier in 2001. Most years Liverpool were struggling to get through rounds in the UEFA Cup or doing nothing of note in the Champions League. There is no disputing how good he made Liverpool in Europe. He didn't have quite the same effect domestically but he still came closer to winning the league title than any manager since Dalglish. For all his faults I don't think any Liverpool fan could deny how he fought for the club once the Americans took over. He had them sussed out as spoofers from very early on. Maybe it was just time for him to go but I am far from convinced by any of the names I am already seeing being bandied out.

So if he does go he'll have my best wishes.

bingobus

Stew quit posting shite like you are actually knownledgeable , your an idiotic poster of the highest order and you are posting shite as usual at a rampant rate. Control yourself or go post about the tweenies or something that is your level.

No point posting here on rafa, full of trolls looking attention. 

under the bar

QuoteSammy at least knows how to win the much coveted league as a player and he has been in the system a long time

That was in the days when the back-pass was still allowed.   How much more Sammy Lee contributed than being the token scouse accent in a club full of Spaniards is debatable

brokencrossbar1

Calm down, calm down!!!

There will not be a clear out of players depsite what people think.  Torres will stay for a year at least and Gerard will have been supportive of Rafa moving on.  the only club to have shown any interest in Masch have been Barca and their last £30m is going on Fabregas.  The reality is too that these players have their minds on the WC so I can't see them being too interested in anything else for the meantime. 

Rafa has been screwed by the owners, of that there is no doubt, but he was also a major factor in results being poor this season.  There will be lots of names bandied about but I reckon that the owners have someone lined up already otherwise they would not have taken this action.  It is not like a mid season sacking where a manager is changed to lift a team out of a bad run.  Who that person is will be interesting but until there is an announcement I am not going to make too much of a comment about it. 

If he goes, thanks Rafa.

The Real Laoislad

The United gimps are in overdrive on this thread :D
The obsession continues.......
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 02, 2010, 11:36:08 PM
If an actual Liverpool fan can get a word in edgewise here in amongst all the United fans discussing the goings on at Liverpool once again. ;D

In general Benitez has done a good job at Liverpool apart from this last season. Which was awful. People forget how crap we were before he arrived bar one season under Houllier in 2001. Most years Liverpool were struggling to get through rounds in the UEFA Cup or doing nothing of note in the Champions League. There is no disputing how good he made Liverpool in Europe. He didn't have quite the same effect domestically but he still came closer to winning the league title than any manager since Dalglish. For all his faults I don't think any Liverpool fan could deny how he fought for the club once the Americans took over. He had them sussed out as spoofers from very early on.
Maybe it was just time for him to go but I am far from convinced by any of the names I am already seeing being bandied out.

So if he does go he'll have my best wishes.

Well said Galway, anyone with even half a footballing brain can see Rafa is a good manager.
Two Champions League Finals, a few more European semi finals and coming very close to the PL last year, plus the fact he has been linked to jobs like Inter and Real Madrid in the past prove this.

I must admit he has dissapointed me at times, I believe he treated Robbie Keane very poorly and it was a mistake that may have cost us the PL last year and I also think he can't do anymore with Liverpool, though I don't think he is fully to blame as I think the owners should shoulder some of it too.

If he does go then I would also wish him well and Istanbul 2005 and the 4-1 hammering of Man United and some of the many other great European nights will live long in my memory
You'll Never Walk Alone.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 03, 2010, 07:47:19 AM
The United gimps are in overdrive on this thread :D
The obsession continues.......

Ah the irony.....................
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

under the bar

QuoteI dunno about that, i am sure the club would have asked for assurances that they would stay if they pulled the pin, Gerrard will stay I feel, Torres probably will give them a year or so to see if they can buck up and Mascherano might well be gone but he also wanted Benitez out in the worst way

Where can I get odds on Gerrard leaving?  I'd put my house on it.  He only thinks about SG and now knows that Liverpool won't lift the title during his career. 

flog the lot

Quote from: under the bar on June 03, 2010, 09:17:03 AM
QuoteI dunno about that, i am sure the club would have asked for assurances that they would stay if they pulled the pin, Gerrard will stay I feel, Torres probably will give them a year or so to see if they can buck up and Mascherano might well be gone but he also wanted Benitez out in the worst way

Where can I get odds on Gerrard leaving?  I'd put my house on it.  He only thinks about SG and now knows that Liverpool won't lift the title during his career.

the papers reckon that the senior players wanted rafa out, so it that is true there is a good chance gerrard and torres will stay..
gerrard is 30 now and comming the end or career, so if he was to leave and we got a gud price for him i wouldn't be that disappointed, espically going on last seasons form...

EC Unique

All joking aside lads. Some of the names floating about as a replacement for Rafa are not very ambitious, but I suppose it is not the attractive job as it should be given the finance available.

ballinaman

Quote from: EC Unique on June 03, 2010, 10:31:51 AM
All joking aside lads. Some of the names floating about as a replacement for Rafa are not very ambitious, but I suppose it is not the attractive job as it should be given the finance available.
John Barnes and McActeer have thrown their hats in the ring is the word coming out of Birkenhead..... ;)

bingobus

Quote from: EC Unique on June 03, 2010, 10:31:51 AM

Thats the key thing and seems to be missed on alot of Liverpool supporters (not nessecerily ones on here), where does the club go now? Alan f**king Curbishley???? If Rafa walks we'll be left with a yes man in charge and players coming and going to beat the band. The club is already behind the main pack and I fear that more unheaval will put us light years behind. At least Rafa had the yanks over a brallel and was willing to take them on.

Any decision on managers should have been left to new owners. Simple.

Billys Boots

As a neutral, Alan Curbishly is a good manager, in the Roy Hodgson mould - a football man.  I think he'd suit Liverpool well and would do a very good job. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

bingobus

Quote from: Boycey on June 03, 2010, 11:06:03 AM

I think as fans we're becoming increasing obsessed with the finance end of things at our big clubs. I'm pretty sure the Liverpool job is still an attractive one to all but maybe 3-4 of the biggest managers.

I'd disagree with you bingo about Rafa having them over a barrel, ultimately the money men will always win as they appear to have done again.

Is this good or bad for Liverpool? Will the players rumoured to be unsettled be more or less likely to stay??

Mark Hughes anyone????

But thats the thing Boycey, we don't want a run of the mill manager. We want/need one of the top managers for the job and i'm not including the Fergies, Wengers in that top 4 as they are untouchable in there current role. Liverpool should be attractive for the likes of Mourinho but we seem to be aiming at Curbs or Hughes (sacked by a rival for not been able to go the extra mile).

Football is unfortunatley all about money now, hence the obsession.

kumquat

Buy us a pint then Boselecta!!!