The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingobus

Well thankfully the season is over. Yesterday summed it up really.

Well done to Pepe on sharing the Golden Glove with Cech. The one bright spot in the season was his form.

Long summer ahead and I hope it all gets some sort of settlement sooner rather than later - owners, manager and players. Changes afoot for all three if the stories are to be believed.

Roll on August or in our case July and Europa league qualifying  :-[

myball22

Is this some sort of joke? Worst idea ever.  >:(

You may aswell be sharing a stadium as do that.

No accounting for two home matches at the same time. This may not be the case in the Premier League but Europa League?

supersarsfields

Saw that alright. Have to say it looks like a mess. Can't see how it would work. Surely if both teams had home games and there was any overlap in the times it would be a nigtmare trying to get to and from the stadia.

The Real Laoislad

Stupid idea, personally I would have no problem with one shared stadium
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ross4life

Is it true if Portsmouth didn't go into administration Liverpool wouldn't have European football next season?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

J70

Quote from: ross4life on May 10, 2010, 06:14:54 PM
Is it true if Portsmouth didn't go into administration Liverpool wouldn't have European football next season?

Think so. Their cup final UEFA spot was switched to the seventh place finisher.

Hound

Quote from: myball22 on May 10, 2010, 05:54:37 PM
No accounting for two home matches at the same time. This may not be the case in the Premier League but Europa League?
I wonder how long it is since Liverpool and Everton played at home on the same day? One thing for sure, it'll never happen again.

This makes more financial sense than building two separate stadia.
Though not as much sense as building just one between them.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: supersarsfields on May 10, 2010, 05:57:33 PM
Saw that alright. Have to say it looks like a mess. Can't see how it would work. Surely if both teams had home games and there was any overlap in the times it would be a nigtmare trying to get to and from the stadia.

The fixture list never allows for both teams to play @ home on the same day so that would not be an issue. It looks ridiculous though.

imtommygunn

Portsmouth aren't in Europe because of paperwork.

Don't think it's to do with administration.

That being said they only missed out on doing the paperwork because they were too busy dealing with going into administration.

Hound

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 10, 2010, 10:55:58 PM
Portsmouth aren't in Europe because of paperwork.

Don't think it's to do with administration.

That being said they only missed out on doing the paperwork because they were too busy dealing with going into administration.
Bit of a chicken and egg situation. It was pointless filing the paperwork because as they were in administration they would not have got the requisite licence.

Liverpool will have to enter the Europa League at a very early stage. Maybe we'll get Sporting Fingal v Liverpool in July!

Rossie11

QuoteQuote from: glens73 on May 10, 2010, 08:28:34 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/in-six-months-the-benitez-era-will-seem-like-a-golden-age-2173371.html

This article is pretty depressing!

Completely over the top. Typical Indo.

You think??
If the current owners and manager stays. i.e massive debt and no new stadium
Torres/Gerard (or both) will need to be sold in order to cover costs for this coming season.
That would put the squad on a par with Birmingham/Blackburn etc.
Season on season the downward spiral continues with no hope of CL football.
If a bookie gave me odds on pool been relegated inside 3 years I would lump on.
Basically with the squad they (will) have they will be closer to the trap door than winning the PL. 
As a pool fan I can see nothing only gloom on the horizon.

deiseach

It's not as bleak as Dion Fanning suggests. His agenda - and I don't use that pejoratively, we all have agendas - is to absolve Rafa from any blame because he (Fanning) has been his (Rafa's) biggest supporter over the years, once insisting on the Marx-like inevitability of Liverpool winning the league under Benitez. So everything has to be cast in the context of the financial problems to deflect away from Rafa's failures. To say that he had no money to spend is plain wrong. You'd swear Aquilani was picked up on a free, he cost £20 million! Changing managers can make a difference, Spurs gave Juande Ramos plenty of money but it was Harry Redknapp who turned them into Champions League quality. I don't bear Rafa any ill will but at this stage a change is as good as a rest.

Rossie11, you should have no problem finding a bookie to take your money. Let us know how you get on.