The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Not that United were overly impressive, but they were better than Liverpool and so deserved the win. Very similar to the game at Anfield earlier this season, with the roles reversed. I thought Babel did quite well when he came on, at least giving Liverpool someone to get and keep the ball in the United half a bit more. A couple of missed chances for Torres, but you can't be looking to one single player to do it for you in every game, and besides, he won the ball and finished the move for the goal, so you can't be overly critical. Don't think there is much chance of fourth spot now (or even fifth for that matter). All three of the other teams are not going to collapse. They may have to win the UEFA cup to even make that competition next year.

ross4life

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 21, 2010, 03:32:33 PM
Disappointing in the end. Wasn't the best of games. To be honest I think a draw would have been a fairer result as neither side did much really. Unfortunately Torres missed a great chance there right on 90 minutes with an airshot. Penalty was obviously ridiculously soft as the foul happened about 2 yards outside the box but that's Howard Webb for you.

well 2-1 60 40% play for united & 10  to pool 4 shots n goal united deserved win pure & simple
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

If Liverpool finish 6TH and you get more points than them, you're looking at finishing 5th or even 4th!

Could end up 6th yet with the way all those teams vying for 4th are playing. I still think you lot will inch 4th.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

J70

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 21, 2010, 03:49:43 PM
If Liverpool finish 6TH and you get more points than them, you're looking at finishing 5th or even 4th!

Could end up 6th yet with the way all those teams vying for 4th are playing. I still think you lot will inch 4th.

What?!! ??? :D

Carmen Stateside

After a bright opening all the old habits returned, possesion was given away far to easily all over the field.  bar the cross for the goal Kuyt was a no show along with maxi and Gerrard. Have to win out the season now and hope for other teams to slip up, which seems unlikely.

EC Unique

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on March 21, 2010, 04:10:08 PM
After a bright opening all the old habits returned, possesion was given away far to easily all over the field.  bar the cross for the goal Kuyt was a no show along with maxi and Gerrard. Have to win out the season now and hope for other teams to slip up, which seems unlikely.

The other teams will slip up but there is no chance of Liverpool winning all remaining games. No CL for Liverpool next year. Wonder what this will mean come transfer window?

Paul Mc Graths Da

Quote from: EC Unique on March 21, 2010, 04:19:51 PM

The other teams will slip up but there is no chance of Liverpool winning all remaining games. No CL for Liverpool next year. Wonder what this will mean come transfer window?

You should stick to what you know and that would appear to be homophobia and racism based on your posting history......

EC Unique

J70

Quote from: Paul Mc Graths Da on March 21, 2010, 04:36:48 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on March 21, 2010, 04:19:51 PM

You should stick to what you know and that would appear to be homophobia and racism based on your posting history......

And, in fairness, you should leave those comments to the relevant thread. EC Unique posts here all the time and his question is a very fair one. Besides, the vast majority of us here have probably irritated other board members with opinions on one subject or another (I know I have!), but most just get on with it on other subjects and don't take things too personally.

magpie seanie

Well said J70, fair play to you.

EC Unique

Fair play J70 :)  PMGD is just a WUM who fails to wind me up. He will get board and clear off like his type usually do.

J70

Well, City just beat Fulham away, something not a lot of teams do (that's two big recent away wins in west London). They're two points ahead of Liverpool with two games in hand. Which means they can afford to drop seven points and still have their fate in their own hands with respect to Liverpool. Spurs are four ahead with one game in hand, meaning they can drop six points and maintain control. Villa are one behind with two games in hand, meaning that they can drop four and still be in control. And this is assuming Liverpool drop no further points. Spurs have a tough run-in, but Liverpool have given all three two much leeway. Its going to take a very dramatic collapse for Liverpool to make it now, and City's recent form of two wins and one draw from away trips to Chelsea, Sunderland and Fulham doesn't suggest any collapse is imminent, at least on their part. Spurs winning away to Stoke the same. Liverpool are going to have a serious struggle to even finish fifth.

EC Unique

If Liverpool do not make the top 4 what sort of a clear out do you guys see happening? Will Rafa go? Will Gerard and Torres have to be cashed in or will they even want to stay? Very tricky times ahead!

J70

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 21, 2010, 03:32:33 PM
Disappointing in the end. Wasn't the best of games. To be honest I think a draw would have been a fairer result as neither side did much really. Unfortunately Torres missed a great chance there right on 90 minutes with an airshot. Penalty was obviously ridiculously soft as the foul happened about 2 yards outside the box but that's Howard Webb for you.

According to the FIFA Rules of the Game, "If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding him inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick."

Clear penalty.

J70

Quote from: EC Unique on March 21, 2010, 05:21:25 PM
If Liverpool do not make the top 4 what sort of a clear out do you guys see happening? Will Rafa go? Will Gerard and Torres have to be cashed in or will they even want to stay? Very tricky times ahead!

Don't have a clue. A lot will obviously depend on the debt/ownership side of things. Apparently, apart from the Rhone Group and their 100 million (or whatever it is) for a 40% stake, all other potential suitors are waiting to see if they qualify for the champions league. Presumably their impending failure to do so will either scare these parties off or at least drive down their valuation of the club. According to what I've read in some places, if they can get the money to clear the 100 million due back to the bank this summer, they will be in a better position to get funding for the stadium (some said 60%, with the other 40% to come from naming rights, but that doesn't sound too realistic, at least to my uninformed ear). No one seems to be talking about funding for players though, and as Torres says, they clearly need four or five top class players to turn them into serious challengers on a consistent basis. Presumably you would be talking another 100 million, at a minimum, to bring in those type of players, and then you're hoping that, whoever the manager is, spends the money wisely. But where is that money coming from for this summer, particularly if they end up in the qualifiers for the UEFA cup, or worse, out of Europe altogether? Will Torres then leave after World Cup? Is the 50-odd million his current market valuation apparently is worth cashing in on? And if you got 30 million for Gerrard - surely you'd have to seriously consider it for a lad about to turn 30? But if they go, will Mascherano stay? As for Benitez? I have no idea. The main thing in his favour at this point is the utter shambles the club is in at ownership/funding level - what other top class manager would want the job?! But, if no money is forthcoming, will he even stay?