The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady GAA GAA

Quote from: stew on November 01, 2009, 03:32:57 PM
Quote from: Rafa on November 01, 2009, 10:25:15 AM
Very disappointed with yesterday. Even before I saw the injury list I knew it was going to be tough, why couldnt lucas play like he did last week? Kuyt was horrible yesterday.

But before everyone gets hysterical and starts believing Rafa should be sacked for losing 3 points lets look at the injury list, they must be ravaged by swine flu, aurelio, skrtel, agger, aquilani, johnson, riera, kelly, gerard, ngog and torres not fully fit. Thats very unlucky.

Ross4life go and f**k yourself you little ****.

And this explains the Benayoun situation? you are having a laugh, he has lost the plot and should be fired, he went toe to toe with ferguson and got his arse kicked, he has bought more tubes than any other manager in Europe let alone england and still some of you support him, the mind boggles.

You seem very out of touch and misinformed.

stiffler

Quote from: Rafa on October 22, 2009, 02:19:34 PM
I have been following this thread for months content enough to read the random mumblings of the many and the rare insight of the few but no longer can I stand by without replying to some of this drivel.

I don't wish to go over the obvious points again in too much depth about how unfairly restrained Rafa has been in the transfer market this summer. I think this has been accurately and adequately covered by Bingobus and Galwaybayboy. However, the main point I wish to address is the absolute about-turn many of you have done with regard to the quality of the team in light of a string of bad results.

In April 2009 the vast majority of Liverpool fans, including those that post in this thread and indeed many other football fans would have stated, and accurately so, that the best starting 11 in the Premier League was: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Aurelio, Kuyt, Mascherano, Alonso, Benayoun, Gerard, Torres. Out of that 11 only Gerard and Carragher, long serving Liverpool homegrown players, were at the club before Rafa arrived. So he built that team from scratch himself.

So in April 2009 Rafa Benitez, in his 5 years at the club, had a built a team worthy of calling themselves the best 11 in the Premier League. We all know it is the strength of the squad which let Liverpool down, something he would be keen to address in the summer of 2009. And yet, so many of you (I am aware many of the comments come from United fans also), will post misleading statistics about buying 70 odd players, quote misleading figures about how much he spent, not including the figures recouped through sales, and come to the conclusion that he has not made any progress in those 5-6 years when you, the same people, were hailing his team as world-beaters only 4 months ago!

Only two players from that team are no longer with the club; Arbeloa, who has arguably been replaced by the better Johnson, and Alonso – I refuse to believe that the absence of one player, albeit a good player, is the cause of the collapse on the field. You don't turn into a bad team overnight. There's a serious lack of confidence which has manifested itself from the disasterous summer. There has probably been a feeling festering among many of the players that they are no longer part of a club that is going forward and progressing but one that may well be going in the opposite direction. This is evident by the fact that Rafa in actual fact made a net profit (reluctantly no doubt) this summer. So not only did he not receive the £20m promised to him to spend in the summer, he was not even able to spend all of the money he himself recouped from sales of players, evident in the leaked rumours in August from the American owners that he had only £2m left to spend (they sneakily claim that any wage rises for players, new contracts, and indeed Rafas own wages were being subtracted from any available transfer funds, even though these are contracts running over as many as 5 years) and he was unable to buy Michael Turner, a back-up target in defence, from Hull for a mere £8m – beaten to the signature by Sunderland! All this after KPMG auditors expressed huge concerns over the financial position of the club, basically declaring that they were so heavily indebted that if Liverpool were to miss out on the Champions League in any year they would turn into the next Leeds United (reading between the lines).

Now obviously Alonso leaving has had an effect on the team. He was an important part of the team but he wanted to leave and we got the best deal possible for him. But in a footballing sense it should not have had as big an effect as it has. It is the overall perception of his departure that is having the effect. With Benitez being unable to replace him with a player of the same quality and also in general being unable to add to and strengthen the squad, when they were obviously only a couple of quality players away from being the finished article having ran United so close last year, this is what has caused the lack of confidence in the players and has made them unable to recreate the enthusiasm of last year

Of course he is not devoid of all criticism. He is responsible for Voronin and Ngog being the only back-up to Torres, there may have been bargans over the last few years to be got. He also on occasion makes some decisions which may bewilder most of us, but we need to trust him. He is the man with the proven track record and the man who has brought the club closer than anyone else to it's first Premier League title not to mention the Champions League success.

He could have walked away on several occasions, a lesser man would have, but now more than ever he deserves the loyalty of the fans, not in reward for winning the Champions League (now more than 4 years ago), but in reward for the loyalty he has shown them and the club over the last number of years. In this day and age of Sven Goran Erikssons and Harry Redknapps it is incredibly rare to find a manager who cares so passionately about the club and the fans, a club orignally foreign to him, and works so maticulously hard for it.

So those of you calling for his head after an uncharacteristic slump should think twice about how much effort has been put into the progress made to date and how quickly it could all vanish if the man responsible for it is shown the door.

Good post.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

down6061689194

Quote from: ross4life on November 01, 2009, 03:36:26 PM
Quote from: Rafa on November 01, 2009, 10:25:15 AM
Very disappointed with yesterday. Even before I saw the injury list I knew it was going to be tough, why couldnt lucas play like he did last week? Kuyt was horrible yesterday.

But before everyone gets hysterical and starts believing Rafa should be sacked for losing 3 points lets look at the injury list, they must be ravaged by swine flu, aurelio, skrtel, agger, aquilani, johnson, riera, kelly, gerard, ngog and torres not fully fit. Thats very unlucky.

Ross4life go and f**k yourself you little ****.

mods please!!.................... (rules are rules)

excuse me? everyone has their own opinion don't take it out on me  ;)

Your opinions though are based on prejudice and personal want, therefore invalid and irrelevant to the discussion. So take your bull elsewhere.

Over the Bar

I don't believe Benitez will be sacked even if he fails to reach the CL knockout stages.   I think his job is safe for this season at least since replacing him mid-season could be a financially disasterous for the club. 

It looks now like Liverpool will be fighting it out with City for 4th spot and should he fail in that he'll almost certainly have to go.   More worryingly for any real Liverpool fan his substitutions in the Fulham game showed that building his own European profile is more important to him that winning the premiership with Liverpool.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: hardstation on November 01, 2009, 08:22:10 PM
Ross4life is getting some abuse on here for simply slagging. Yis do the same on the Man United thread. We even have a "Let's all laugh at Totteringham" thread. It's all a bit of craic. Stop being so precious over a bunch of over-paid t**ts.

BTW, Liverpool really are playing crap at the minute.

You'd like to see a hint of wit while slagging though.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

EC Unique

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 01, 2009, 06:36:30 PM
I don't believe Benitez will be sacked even if he fails to reach the CL knockout stages.   I think his job is safe for this season at least since replacing him mid-season could be a financially disasterous for the club. 

It looks now like Liverpool will be fighting it out with City for 4th spot and should he fail in that he'll almost certainly have to go.   More worryingly for any real Liverpool fan his substitutions in the Fulham game showed that building his own European profile is more important to him that winning the premiership with Liverpool.

Agreed. I also think he will finish this season but it will be his last and he knows it.

Liverpool are rank at present but should get a bit better as anything that can go wrong is and that is bound to stop. I dont think they will finish top 4 but will be close.

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rafa

It looks now like Liverpool will be fighting it out with City for 4th spot and should he fail in that he'll almost certainly have to go.  More worryingly for any real Liverpool fan his substitutions in the Fulham game showed that building his own European profile is more important to him that winning the premiership with Liverpool.

I don't think that is the case.

The way I see it is, despite all the previous disruption and rows with the owners, in a real sense they are still his bosses and they will have goals and objectives which will no doubt shape and influence Benitez' decisions to a certain extent.

Now, do you think Hicks and Gillette actually care about trophies in any way? Sure, if the tropies come with huge profitability but to Hicks and Gillette the difference between finishing 1st and 3rd in the Premier League is not really that big of deal since it only carries with it a small difference in prize money, certainly not worth taking any extra risks for or investing for. However, the difference in monetary terms between reaching the knockout stages of the Champions League and going out at the group stages is in fact significant so there is no doubt where their priorities will lie.

Obviously this pressure will filter down to Benitez either directly or indirectly and have an effect on his priorities and decision-making.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rafa on November 02, 2009, 10:25:50 AM

It looks now like Liverpool will be fighting it out with City for 4th spot and should he fail in that he'll almost certainly have to go.  More worryingly for any real Liverpool fan his substitutions in the Fulham game showed that building his own European profile is more important to him that winning the premiership with Liverpool.

The way I see it is, despite all the previous disruption and rows with the owners, in a real sense they are still his bosses and they will have goals and objectives which will no doubt shape and influence Benitez' decisions to a certain extent.

Now, do you think Hicks and Gillette actually care about trophies in any way? Sure, if the tropies come with huge profitability but to Hicks and Gillette the difference between finishing 1st and 3rd in the Premier League is not really that big of deal since it only carries with it a small difference in prize money, certainly not worth taking any extra risks for or investing for. However, the difference in monetary terms between reaching the knockout stages of the Champions League and going out at the group stages is in fact significant so there is no doubt where their priorities will lie.

Obviously this pressure will filter down to Benitez either directly or indirectly and have an effect on his priorities and decision-making.

Ronnie Whelan thinks so too http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/6482396/Rafael-Benitez-has-given-up-on-winning-Premier-League-says-Ronnie-Whelan.html

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 02, 2009, 09:10:15 AM
Is that 6 of ther last 7 Liverpool have lost now?

Think it is. That's more hisstorree in the making.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Rafa

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 02, 2009, 10:36:48 AM

Ronnie Whelan thinks so too http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/6482396/Rafael-Benitez-has-given-up-on-winning-Premier-League-says-Ronnie-Whelan.html

Absolute rant.

It seems to be always the Irish ex-Liverpool players who are so critical all the time, Beglin and Houghton spring to mind. Must be an Irish bitterness thing, not wanting to see anyone emulate your success.

Rossie11

Absolute rant.
It seems to be always the Irish ex-Liverpool players who are so critical all the time, Beglin and Houghton spring to mind. Must be an Irish bitterness thing, not wanting to see anyone emulate your success.

Well John Aldridge wrote in one of Sunday papers that Liverpool are in with a big shout of winning Champs league..  :o
Raving lunatic...

Rafa

Quote from: Rossie11 on November 02, 2009, 11:04:43 AM
Absolute rant.

Well John Aldridge wrote in one of Sunday papers that Liverpool are in with a big shout of winning Champs league..  :o
Raving lunatic...

John Aldridge from Liverpool?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Rafa on November 02, 2009, 10:56:01 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 02, 2009, 10:36:48 AM

Absolute rant.

prob as they are ex Ireland players as well thats why they are quoted over here.
Heard an interview with phil thompson who hadnt quite lost patience with benitez, but was about to - or words to that effect.
so it aint just the Irish ex Liverpool.

Doogie Browser

What the fcuk is going on at Anfield??  The players don't seem to have any pride in their team (that or they are just not good enough) its appalling that a team like Liverpool are basically losing 50% of their league matches.  All this loyalty to Benitez is a bit tiresome now, Liverpool are one of the top teams in World Football in terms of stature and nothing but a change of manager and by consequence ethos can reverse the current slide IMO.