The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ping Pong Santa

Just on Robbie Keane, and I'm not adding to the debate here just think this is a crazy statistic.

He is the tenth top goalscorer in Premier League history and only 8 away from overtaking Dwight Yorke in ninth place. Actually when you think about it he should have comfortably 40 goals left in his career. This would take him up to fifth! Behind such greats as Shearer, Andy Cole, Henry, and Fowler. The only player who really has a chance of threatening this in the near future would be Ronaldo but I imagine he will be long gone to Real before he gets the chance.

That would be an amazing achievement for an Irish player.

AZOffaly

Quote from: bingobus on May 25, 2009, 10:23:24 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2009, 10:08:26 AM
Quote from: bingobus on May 25, 2009, 09:56:05 AM
Quote from: Chrisowc on May 25, 2009, 09:12:48 AM
He had plenty of opportunity to prove himself and simply wasn't up to the label of a £20m striker.  Not just footballing ability, but also how he conducted himself in a red shirt.  The club had the opportunity to cut their losses and took it. 

I believe the applause came from him not celebrating his goal rather than the goal itself.  I would have applauded that myself but was still glad to see the back of him.

Totally agree. Some have said if he had been up to the task then we wouldn;t have Torres as we did and we'd have turned a few 0-0's in 1-0's.

I don't think Keane's biggest fans would think he did well on the pitch at Liverpool. Others will say Rafa hardly helped him (including me), but what I would say is that I thought he handled himself quite well off the pitch. I certainly don't remember many histrionics or outbursts out of him.

Off course he handled himself well off pitch but it doesn't win medals.
As for the "glad to see him score yesterday", feck that. It cost Reina a tie of the clean sheet golden gloves and let VDS claim that on his own. Any Liverpool supporter who was happy to see him score is deluded. Its not a popularity contest. You could see that Reina was gutted after the goal. That would have 4 years in a row for him, a small prize but its keepers bread and butter.

Bingobus, I think you're arguing with me for no reason. I'm simply responding to Chris who seems to think that Keane was bad on *and off* the pitch. You seemed to agree with him, but it sounds like you just didn't read all he wrote. I never said I was happy to see Keane score, that was RLL, but I wasn't unhappy when I heard it either. As long as Liverpool won the game. It is a pity for Reina, but sure there's more important things than that. VDS went a long time without conceding a goal, and Pepe was still tied with him coming into the last game, so that's a good acheivement itself.

bingobus

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2009, 10:40:18 AM
He had plenty of opportunity to prove himself and simply wasn't up to the label of a £20m striker.  Not just footballing ability, but also how he conducted himself in a red shirt.  The club had the opportunity to cut their losses and took it. 

I believe the applause came from him not celebrating his goal rather than the goal itself.  I would have applauded that myself but was still glad to see the back of him.

Totally agree. Some have said if he had been up to the task then we wouldn;t have Torres as we did and we'd have turned a few 0-0's in 1-0's.

I don't think Keane's biggest fans would think he did well on the pitch at Liverpool. Others will say Rafa hardly helped him (including me), but what I would say is that I thought he handled himself quite well off the pitch. I certainly don't remember many histrionics or outbursts out of him.

As for the "glad to see him score yesterday", feck that. It cost Reina a tie of the clean sheet golden gloves and let VDS claim that on his own. Any Liverpool supporter who was happy to see him score is deluded. Its not a popularity contest. You could see that Reina was gutted after the goal. That would have 4 years in a row for him, a small prize but its keepers bread and butter.

Bingobus, I think you're arguing with me for no reason. I'm simply responding to Chris who seems to think that Keane was bad on *and off* the pitch. You seemed to agree with him, but it sounds like you just didn't read all he wrote. I never said I was happy to see Keane score, that was RLL, but I wasn't unhappy when I heard it either. As long as Liverpool won the game. It is a pity for Reina, but sure there's more important things than that. VDS went a long time without conceding a goal, and Pepe was still tied with him coming into the last game, so that's a good acheivement itself.

AZ apologies if it read that way, wasn't arguing at all. I assumed Chris was talking about his constant moaning to refs and linesmen on the field rather than his lifestyle and comments after he left. Did he use phase "conducted himself in a liverpool shirt". I thought (as he does with Ireland) he got too involved with refing matches rather than score.

I know it was RLL who said he was happy to see him score, was just making the comment rather than reposting or insert quotes.

AZOffaly

This is what I was responding to from Chris.

QuoteIt was about the only touch of class he showed on and off the pitch at Anfield this season when he didn't celebrate.

I can't agree with that. I don't like Keane's penchant for moaning at refs and throwing his arms, but I don't think you could fault his attitude off the pitch, and by all accounts he was a real pro at training as well.

Ping Pong Santa

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2009, 11:09:12 AM

QuoteIt was about the only touch of class he showed on and off the pitch at Anfield this season when he didn't celebrate.

I can't agree with that. I don't like Keane's penchant for moaning at refs and throwing his arms, but I don't think you could fault his attitude off the pitch, and by all accounts he was a real pro at training as well.

I would agree there. Even one of his last appearances, I can't remember what game it was but I think we were drawing with someone and he came on in the last few minutes, well anyone who had been treated the way he had may have been tempted to huff but he came on with a great attitude trying to work everyone up and add some energy into the play.

corn02

Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on May 25, 2009, 11:14:38 AM

I would agree there. Even one of his last appearances, I can't remember what game it was but I think we were drawing with someone and he came on in the last few minutes, well anyone who had been treated the way he had may have been tempted to huff but he came on with a great attitude trying to work everyone up and add some energy into the play.

Wigan away.

corn02

This season:

Rafa recorded his 100th league win as manager in his 181st game. It was the 3rd quickest ever by a Liverpool manager and 50 games faster than Alex Ferguson.

...it took a while for Ferguson t get it right too, who knows what;s around the corner.

The Real Laoislad

I'm hardly deluded because I was pleased for him to score I think thats a bit extreme...  :-\
Its not like I wanted him to score the winner against Liverpool to prove a point to Rafa but in all fairness it was a meaningless enough game and if it gave him some sort of closure to the last season then I was happy for him,at the end of the day he is Irish and it wasn't nice to see the club you love treat an Irish man in the way they did.
All my opinion but thats the way I feel anyway..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on May 25, 2009, 11:14:38 AM

If the likes of Ryan Babel showed the same sort of energy for Liverpool that Keane did then he would be a great player instead of the lazy waste of talent that he is
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Stalin

Jesus would you ever change the record. Keane was shite, a complete flop, a total waste of money.
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on May 25, 2009, 10:37:58 AM
Just on Robbie Keane, and I'm not adding to the debate here just think this is a crazy statistic.

He is the tenth top goalscorer in Premier League history and only 8 away from overtaking Dwight Yorke in ninth place. Actually when you think about it he should have comfortably 40 goals left in his career. This would take him up to fifth! Behind such greats as Shearer, Andy Cole, Henry, and Fowler. The only player who really has a chance of threatening this in the near future would be Ronaldo but I imagine he will be long gone to Real before he gets the chance.

That would be an amazing achievement for an Irish player.

Great achievement alright..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Chrisowc

I know I said on and off the pitch.  On and off the ball would be more appropriate.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

GBXII

Quote from: Stalin on May 25, 2009, 01:34:29 PM
Jesus would you ever change the record. Keane was shite, a complete flop, a total waste of money.

I think thats a bit unfair, he had a record of about 1 in 4 but rarely started games, he scored some important goals for the team like the one away to Arsenal, and its highly unlikely he would have been a total waste of money if Liverpool gave him at least until the end of the season. Chances are he would have turned a few 0-0's into 1-0's...

blewuporstuffed

who do you think we shouldbring in now the league has finished?
now that boro are down Downing will be available but i really hope we dont get him.
would like to see glen johnson alright aslong as he doesnt cost silly money.
Silva woud be another great buy, but may be out of the price range.
Bit of a random one but anyone one think Obafemi Martins wouldnt be a bad buy for cover for torres now that newcastle will have a big clearout?could possibly get him for not alot of money and would give a dif option up front
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Minus15

Quote from: GBXII on May 25, 2009, 11:17:53 PM
Quote from: Stalin on May 25, 2009, 01:34:29 PM

I think thats a bit unfair, he had a record of about 1 in 4 but rarely started games, he scored some important goals for the team like the one away to Arsenal, and its highly unlikely he would have been a total waste of money if Liverpool gave him at least until the end of the season. Chances are he would have turned a few 0-0's into 1-0's...

He started plenty of games and the whole thing became a robbie keane soap opera game after game with everyone concentrating more on rafas team selections than results. Poor old robbie hard done by but he didn't deserve to be in the team. Say what you want about him being given a rough ride but the truth is gerrard was a much better player in that position. Rafa was right to get him out when he did.
Really wanted to see him succeed and thought he would be a good addition but it was right to bring it to an end sooner rather than later.
Also where are these 0-0's you speak of. Since Keane left Liverpool have drawn 2 league games. Home to man city and arsenal. They got beat my boro and won the rest. Hardly see any reason why he should have been kept there or what difference he would have made do you?