The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: mouview on November 24, 2016, 04:34:49 PM
That slip v. Chelsea somehow seemed to sum up SG for me - there was always something of the ridiculous about him; the harder he tried and the more he wanted it, the worse things seemed to get for him. His impact on the Ingerland team through his career was quite minimal.

He's right up there with Scholes, Terry, Lampard, Rooney and the rest then too.

J70

Quote from: The Stallion on November 24, 2016, 05:15:10 PM
Istanbul is the perfect example of how the myth of Gerrard has been perpetuated. If you watch it back he was arguably the worst player on the pitch in the first half. 2nd half he improved slightly but apart from a headed goal and an embarrassing dive for the penalty he contributed little.

The match was won through the half time changes, not Gerrard's performance. Yet it's laughably billed as the Gerrard final these days.

What a load of bollocks.

Who the f**k would dive when the ball is sitting on a plate, ten yards out, centre of the goal, to be swept home with only the keeper to beat, in a European Cup final?

Gattuso clipped his ankle. He was running full sprint.

laoislad

I'd say you,like most non Liverpool fans, were disgusted when they came back from 3 down.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Stallion

I am a Liverpool fan, and I did celebrate at the time, but there's no doubt looking at it now it was a dive. It was cheating.

From the Bunker

Only player to score in the Champions League, Europa Cup, Fa and League Cup finals!

thewobbler

Gerrard is something of a curate's egg for me.

Blessed with supreme athleticism, endowed with a street brawler's spirit, and clearly a world class ability to strike a football, he had most of the attributes needed to be the best midfielder in the world.

But he never quite learned to control his natural inhibitions, and play the kind of controlled game that would have seen him dominate games with the regularity needed to sit on the highest of pedestals.

Indeed the fact that 15 years after he debuted, he still felt the need to always look first to play those long diagonal balls that wingers truly hate receiving, would suggest that he didn't really pay much heed to coaches (or his wingers) throughout his career.

Despite this I'd still place him as a better player than Scholes - who in many ways was Gerrard's polar opposite - but behind Lampard, who combined the better bits of both in a wholly unflashy way.

Marks out of 10 for his career maybe 8, 8.5 out of 10. I reckon if he has have been born in Brazil, Italy or Spain though, where there's a more logical premium on a time and a place to go all Hollywood on it, he would have spent his career as a right full back, and could have been one of the all time greats in that position.

J70

Quote from: The Stallion on November 24, 2016, 05:24:00 PM
It was a blatant dive in my opinion, something Gerrard did repeatedly throughout his career.

As usual, your "opinion" regarding anything to do with Liverpool is built on the most tenuous and flimsiest of cherry-picked evidence.

That anyone would dive in that circumstance makes zero sense, even if the footage showing Gattuso clipping him at full tilt were not freely available.

Maroon Manc

He was a world class player but always felt he struggled to control games like Keane, Scholes & Vieira could;

He was a different type of player and his brilliance was what he was capable off in the final 3rd as opposed to dominating games. He was outstanding when he played wide right too, he had some cross on him.

The Stallion

Quote from: J70 on November 24, 2016, 06:27:31 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on November 24, 2016, 05:24:00 PM
It was a blatant dive in my opinion, something Gerrard did repeatedly throughout his career.

As usual, your "opinion" regarding anything to do with Liverpool is built on the most tenuous and flimsiest of cherry-picked evidence.

That anyone would dive in that circumstance makes zero sense, even if the footage showing Gattuso clipping him at full tilt were not freely available.

It didn't make sense to punch another man for refusing to play a Phil Collins song but he did that.

The Stallion

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 24, 2016, 06:28:23 PM
He was a world class player but always felt he struggled to control games like Keane, Scholes & Vieira could;

He was a different type of player and his brilliance was what he was capable off in the final 3rd as opposed to dominating games. He was outstanding when he played wide right too, he had some cross on him.

While it's ludicrous to suggest Gerrard was world class, I think what's often been forgotten is that Gerrard played his best football on the right. He lacked the intelligence and vision to be a great attacking midfielder in the centre, but when he was still mobile he had a decent spell wide right.

StGallsGAA

QuoteDespite this I'd still place him as a better player than Scholes - who in many ways was Gerrard's polar opposite

Polar opposite in that he's accepted by Zidane, Xavi etc as not only the best English midfielder but the best of his generation?   Polar opposite that it's about the team rather than him?  Polar opposite in that Brendan Rodgers didn't even have Gerrard on his PL best 11?  But opinions aside,  polar opposite in that he was the unassuming maestro who pulled the strings to title after title?   

trueblue1234

Quote from: StGallsGAA on November 24, 2016, 08:46:50 PM
QuoteDespite this I'd still place him as a better player than Scholes - who in many ways was Gerrard's polar opposite

Polar opposite in that he's accepted by Zidane, Xavi etc as not only the best English midfielder but the best of his generation?   Polar opposite that it's about the team rather than him?  Polar opposite in that Brendan Rodgers didn't even have Gerrard on his PL best 11?  But opinions aside,  polar opposite in that he was the unassuming maestro who pulled the strings to title after title?

🙂 Was wondering which of the gang would be first?

Zidane by the way....

"With Steven Gerrard close to driving Liverpool to the Premier League title, France ace Zinedine Zidane this week said the Scouser was up there with ex-United ace Paul Scholes as the best midfielder in the last 20 years.

"England have probably produced the two best midfield players of the last 20 years in Steven Gerrard and Paul Scholes," Zidane said.

"There was a point when Gerrard was the best midfield player in the world. It is unusual to get complete midfield players who can do everything, but that is what he was."
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

The Stallion

Being a good footballer doesn't necessarily mean you know a good footballer. Anyone who has read Pele's list of top players knows that.

I thoroughly disliked Scholes but there's no doubt he was a much better player than Gerrard.

trueblue1234

Quote from: The Stallion on November 24, 2016, 09:09:44 PM
Being a good footballer doesn't necessarily mean you know a good footballer. Anyone whoxhas read Pele's list of top players knows that.

Scholes was a much better player than Gerrard.

Very true. Course posting on a discussion board makes us all experts.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Fuzzman

At least he got his hands on the league trophy once. As an Everton fan I hated Gerrard as he often scored great goals  and drove Liverpool on to win trophies. His passion and belief certainly helped Liverpool achieve things that their current team struggle with. I don't think he was a world class defender though and was very different to a Keane or a Scholes. It will be sad if they go on to win the league this year now that he has retired although I hear Klipty Klop has left the door open for him.