The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: J70 on December 12, 2014, 02:07:19 PM
Has there been a worse Liverpool side than the current one since Shankly took them out of Division 2 fifty years ago?

I was thinking the same during the first half on Tuesday night. Its the lack of fight and passion though that is most grating. BR may not have spent well and made some (many) ludicrous decisions, but the players on the pitch have to take alot of the blame for the lack of fight they have shown in matches. Lucas, big Marty and Sterling are about the only ones putting in a shift and showing heart. For the life of me I cannot understand why Coutinho does start and finish every match. Shows for the ball without fail and will create chances.

Rodgers has made that many daft decisions this season, I wouldnt be surprised if Lucas is dropped on Sunday and Gerrard put in as the holding midfielder (which isnt working!)

a third of the way through the season and very few could predict the following for the game v Man U

* the left back
* the centre half partnership
* the lone striker
* the holding midfielder
* will he play 1 or 2 holding midfielders
* go with 1 or 2 wingers
* what position Sterling will play?
* will Coutinho get a start?

talk of entry into the CL next year by winning the EL.....would needy be some turn a round. Staying in the top half of the league will be an achievement unless a few rockets are shot up a few backsides

TabClear

Has there been a worse Liverpool side than the current one since Shankly took them out of Division 2 fifty years ago?

Thats a bit of an overreaction imo. Its the same players with the exception of Suarez as came 2nd last year,  scoring more goals than any of the great Liverpool teams.

Now I know Suarez is a once in a generation talent and the team is nowhere near as good without him. However, they are not that bad. I remember the Babb, Scales years (among others) and this team is way better than that, even though they are not showing it.

Unfortunately, I think we were spoiled last year :'(

AZOffaly

There is a fair bit of overreaction going on, but what is getting more and more annoying is the lack of urgency and passion in the performances. They are obviously hanging on for dear life at the moment, and I would take a 0-0 on Sunday in a heartbeat, but with or without Suarez last year, they were up tempo, fast paced, and positive. DEfensively they were atrocious, but they played in a manner that gave them a chance to win games, even without Suarez. This year, they are playing like a team that is just waiting and expecting the inevitable setback.

If that doesn't change, it doesn't matter what technical issues are there.

J70

Quote from: TabClear on December 12, 2014, 03:02:18 PM

Thats a bit of an overreaction imo. Its the same players with the exception of Suarez as came 2nd last year,  scoring more goals than any of the great Liverpool teams.

Now I know Suarez is a once in a generation talent and the team is nowhere near as good without him. However, they are not that bad. I remember the Babb, Scales years (among others) and this team is way better than that, even though they are not showing it.

I'm talking about how the team is performing,  not potential.  I have been following Liverpool a long time, and I cannot remember a stretch, now into its fifth month, of form so inept and abject.

TabClear

Quote from: J70 on December 12, 2014, 03:58:47 PM

I'm talking about how the team is performing,  not potential.  I have been following Liverpool a long time, and I cannot remember a stretch, now into its fifth month, of form so inept and abject.

Thats fair. I agree with AZ, its the lack of urgency that is the most infuriating. When you look at teams we have played with nowhere near the technical skills (Ludogorets, BAsle, West ham), their pressing etc has been the deciding factor.

With us its like the players have been told to hold onto the ball at all costs, never take a risk on a forward pass, long ball etc. Unforunately I think BR has to take the rap on this one. Once they are pressed, the less technically good players tend to end up hoofing it anyway, with the result that they difficult ball is played about 10-15 seconds later when the opposition have got themselves in position and the passer has less time to execute.

tika taka is all very well when you have a Messi/Pedro/Sanchec/Neymar on the end of it

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on December 12, 2014, 03:58:47 PM

That's fair. I think if the top teams were winning every week it would look even worse. The performances are not good enough at the moment, and I do NOT believe that is because the players are not good enough. I think they are not going for it, they are not having a 'cut off it' and are almost scared going through the motions, hoping for someone else to do something. That's the only criticism I'd have of Rodgers, but it's a fairly big criticism in fairness.

laoislad

You could pick far worse than Babb and Scales.. Who weren't even that bad in fairness.
I still break into a cold sweat thinking of the Konchesky and Poulsen era.....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Captain Obvious

2009/10 Rafa Benitez final season with Liverpool had few highlights either.

CD

I still shiver when I think of the Graeme Souness years! He signed Ruddock, Dicks and Clough to add to already poor side! The current team are way better than this and in fact are as good as any team in recent seasons (ignoring the Suarez factor) - they are stuck in a cycle of needing confidence to go and win and not having the confidence to go out and win! These scenarios always end with a run of good results (see Newcastle) OR with a managerial change. The next three weeks will decide which! As I said before, the FA Cup game at Wimbledon could be the end of BR.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

JoG2

The Reds will win on Sunday as they will play a high tempo game and give Utd zero time or space. It's Utd v Liverpool. Will be the same against Everton. Its these games the players know the fans really wont accept any other 100% commitment. It's the other games that are the ones to worry about.

AZOffaly

United will be wearing red on Sunday!

JoG2

The Reds not in red...not the red devils ;-)

mikehunt

Not sure Rodgers will be able to turn this around. Has fallen out with too many players. The ones he picks don't seem to be playing for him and none of his summer signings are regulars which is shocking after spending 100m.

Last year when Kolo played everyone groaned. Now he looks to be the best. Says it all. Rogers can't organise a defence and it is getting worse.

GJL

I see Torres is available for free. Would you take him back?

laoislad

Quote from: mikehunt on December 13, 2014, 11:01:18 AM
Not sure Rodgers will be able to turn this around. Has fallen out with too many players. The ones he picks don't seem to be playing for him and none of his summer signings are regulars which is shocking after spending 100m.

Last year when Kolo played everyone groaned. Now he looks to be the best. Says it all. Rogers can't organise a defence and it is getting worse.
What players has he fallen out with?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.