The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

On a free - no harm done

Alex Inglethorpe (Reserve/U-21 manager) had him for 6 years at Spurs - so he probably had some say in it.

magpie seanie

Quote from: God14 on July 02, 2014, 08:27:44 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 02, 2014, 01:05:33 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/01/liverpool-barcelona-luis-suarez-alexis-sanchez

Id always been of the mindset of not selling Suarez whatever the scenario, but to be honest I think we're now approaching the point were if an acceptable cash offer / or cash + sanchez deal is on the table youd have to take it.
£80M is rumoured to be the buyout clause, but with the latest biting scandal id take £70M?

..Or better still £38M + Sanchez (£32M)

I can't believe how lucky Liverpool are getting here. I think Sanchez will be a huge success if he goes to Liverpool and won't be much if any of a downgrade on the racist biter, and obviously won't have the baggage. This looks like a sweet deal for Liverpool....ye fcukers!

rodney trotter

Sanchez seems to prefer a move to Arsenal which was the speculation earlier today

Balague mentioned on Twitter a while that he is not part of the deal for Suarez

@GuillemBalague 

As it stands Alexis not part of the deal for Suárez. But not definitive. Despite personal agreemnt with Arsenal, LFC hope to convince him

brokencrossbar1

I nicked this from someone else so I won't claim it but for us of a vintage that remember this happening this situation resonates through the current Saurez situation. 

QuoteAldridge Barnes Beardsley Houghton.

We've been here before. In the summer of '87 we said goodbye to a man who was both younger and more accomplished than Luis Suarez is now. Ian Rush was a 25-year-old goal scoring machine. From the start of the '81-'82 season to the summer he departed, Rushie scored 207 goals in 322 appearances for the club. He never scored fewer than 26 goals in any of those 6 seasons. He only once scored fewer than 30. He was the spearhead of a side that won 4 league titles, 1 FA Cup, 4 League Cups, and 2 European Cups. His finishing touch was Raphael and his work rate Jackson Pollock. He was, by any footballing measure, world class and, by any logical measure, irreplaceable. The fact is footballers with that type of record don't grow on trees. They're ethereal. You can spend a good few decades waiting to find the next one.

Aldridge Barnes Beardsley Houghton.

Kenny Dalglish knew this. There wasn't a man on earth who was better acquainted with the qualities of his wantaway striker or the gargantuan hole his departure would create in the side. On top of that, he was coming off a trophy-less season where they ran runners up to Everton in the league and Arsenal in the league cup. And he only had two seasons under his belt steering that big red ship. Hardly the ideal time to see a 25-year-old superstar head for pastures new. It was a dilemma. The nice thing about selling a world class footballer, though, is that it tends to leave you with the resources to reinvent your side, should you only possess the vision to do so. Anyone who saw the man play could tell you, if there was one thing Kenny Dalglish had in spades it was vision. He took the massive sum Juventus had bestowed upon him for his goal scoring machine and divied it up 4 ways.

What emerged from that summer was an attacking side that took the league by storm and is still regarded by many as the greatest to ever grace the hallowed turf of Anfield. They ran out to a remarkable 29 match unbeaten run in the league and took the title at a canter. The zenith of that campaign was the 5-0 demolition of Nottingham Forest, a performance so special that none other than the late Sir Tom Finney described it as the "performance of the century." It began with two of Kenny's new boys, Houghton and Barnes, combining to cut the Forest back line to shreds with Houghton providing the finishing touch. Not wanting to be left out, Beardsley and Aldridge combined for the second, with the little maestro providing an expert sliderule pass to release Aldridge who made no mistake. The new boys, feeling generous I suppose, decided to allow Gary Gillespie in on the fun, as Barnes and Houghton combined from a short corner to tee up the defender from about 10 yards out. Barnes then decided to break out the party tricks with a run a certain Uruguayan would be proud of before laying off to Beardsley who did the polite thing, placing the ball in the bottom corner. For the finishing touch, Beardsley played in Spackman who pulled back to Aldridge and, well, you know the rest. When all was said and done, the new boys had combined to play a part in all 5 goals, scoring 4 of them. Barnes, slouch that he was, was the only member not to score (he did hit the post, though). I wasn't there that day and neither was Ian Rush. I imagine those who were fortunate enough to attend noticed the latter's absence about as much as they did the former's.

For as long as I live, nobody will ever be able to convince me that PSV Eindhoven's solitary European Cup shouldn't have an asterisk in bright neon lights next to it. All of Europe should count itself lucky that it didn't have to face Kenny's renovated side missing the irreplaceable Ian Rush. And now we're faced with replacing another irreplaceable superstar. Following a trophy-less year in which we were pipped to the title. Led by a young manager. With a clear vision for his side. Heading into his third year on the job.

We've been here before.

God14

NAG1

So was all last summers posturing about not selling LS and how he was staying long term, just smoke and mirrors for a secret agreement with the player that he could go the following summer after the WC?

Genuine question

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: NAG1 on July 03, 2014, 12:39:16 PM
So was all last summers posturing about not selling LS and how he was staying long term, just smoke and mirrors for a secret agreement with the player that he could go the following summer after the WC?

Genuine question

Maybe, maybe not but guess what...we will never know so don't worry and enjoy the summer!

supersub

Quote from: NAG1 on July 03, 2014, 12:39:16 PM

Genuine question

Or a shrewd business/PR/team move to boost his valuation as they knew he'd be trying his best to impress potential suitors all season...

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

magpie seanie

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armamike

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 03, 2014, 10:22:53 AM
I nicked this from someone else so I won't claim it but for us of a vintage that remember this happening this situation resonates through the current Saurez situation. 

QuoteAldridge Barnes Beardsley Houghton.

We've been here before. In the summer of '87 we said goodbye to a man who was both younger and more accomplished than Luis Suarez is now. Ian Rush was a 25-year-old goal scoring machine. From the start of the '81-'82 season to the summer he departed, Rushie scored 207 goals in 322 appearances for the club. He never scored fewer than 26 goals in any of those 6 seasons. He only once scored fewer than 30. He was the spearhead of a side that won 4 league titles, 1 FA Cup, 4 League Cups, and 2 European Cups. His finishing touch was Raphael and his work rate Jackson Pollock. He was, by any footballing measure, world class and, by any logical measure, irreplaceable. The fact is footballers with that type of record don't grow on trees. They're ethereal. You can spend a good few decades waiting to find the next one.

Kenny Dalglish knew this. There wasn't a man on earth who was better acquainted with the qualities of his wantaway striker or the gargantuan hole his departure would create in the side. On top of that, he was coming off a trophy-less season where they ran runners up to Everton in the league and Arsenal in the league cup. And he only had two seasons under his belt steering that big red ship. Hardly the ideal time to see a 25-year-old superstar head for pastures new. It was a dilemma. The nice thing about selling a world class footballer, though, is that it tends to leave you with the resources to reinvent your side, should you only possess the vision to do so. Anyone who saw the man play could tell you, if there was one thing Kenny Dalglish had in spades it was vision. He took the massive sum Juventus had bestowed upon him for his goal scoring machine and divied it up 4 ways.

What emerged from that summer was an attacking side that took the league by storm and is still regarded by many as the greatest to ever grace the hallowed turf of Anfield. They ran out to a remarkable 29 match unbeaten run in the league and took the title at a canter. The zenith of that campaign was the 5-0 demolition of Nottingham Forest, a performance so special that none other than the late Sir Tom Finney described it as the "performance of the century." It began with two of Kenny's new boys, Houghton and Barnes, combining to cut the Forest back line to shreds with Houghton providing the finishing touch. Not wanting to be left out, Beardsley and Aldridge combined for the second, with the little maestro providing an expert sliderule pass to release Aldridge who made no mistake. The new boys, feeling generous I suppose, decided to allow Gary Gillespie in on the fun, as Barnes and Houghton combined from a short corner to tee up the defender from about 10 yards out. Barnes then decided to break out the party tricks with a run a certain Uruguayan would be proud of before laying off to Beardsley who did the polite thing, placing the ball in the bottom corner. For the finishing touch, Beardsley played in Spackman who pulled back to Aldridge and, well, you know the rest. When all was said and done, the new boys had combined to play a part in all 5 goals, scoring 4 of them. Barnes, slouch that he was, was the only member not to score (he did hit the post, though). I wasn't there that day and neither was Ian Rush. I imagine those who were fortunate enough to attend noticed the latter's absence about as much as they did the former's.

For as long as I live, nobody will ever be able to convince me that PSV Eindhoven's solitary European Cup shouldn't have an asterisk in bright neon lights next to it. All of Europe should count itself lucky that it didn't have to face Kenny's renovated side missing the irreplaceable Ian Rush. And now we're faced with replacing another irreplaceable superstar. Following a trophy-less year in which we were pipped to the title. Led by a young manager. With a clear vision for his side. Heading into his third year on the job.

We've been here before.

Going by Woy's logic though he couldn't have been world class!

I remember this back in 87.  All the talk for months was that Rush would be leaving at the end of the season and Liverpool couldn't replace him.  Dalglish didn't try to find another Rush (though Aldridge was a bit of a clone), he rejigged his forward play and mixed it up with Houghton and Beardsley playing little through balls and one twos around the box and Barnes knocking the crosses in for Aldridge. If Liverpool buy half as well this time around, Suarez will be forgot about very quickly.
That's just, like your opinion man.

dec

That all assumes that whatever money is received for Suarez is spent well.

If it goes on another Andy Carroll however ...