The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

#JFT96

One of those things that takes on an unusual  significance for a lot of people that were not directly affected.
I think maybe the thought of you or someone of your family heading off to a football match and never coming home, really touches a nerve with the majority people , no matter what sporting code or team they support.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

deiseach

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 15, 2014, 11:33:08 AM
#JFT96

One of those things that takes on an unusual  significance for a lot of people that were not directly affected.
I think maybe the thought of you or someone of your family heading off to a football match and never coming home, really touches a nerve with the majority people , no matter what sporting code or team they support.

There's a simple way of putting what happened at Hillsborough into a broader, non-LFC context. In the sixth round of the 1989 FA Cup, Nottingham Forest beat Man Utd while Liverpool beat Brentford. If the draw had produced a scenario which led to Man Utd and Forest playing in the semi-final, it would have been Man Utd fans funneling into the Leppings Lane terrace that day with the same inexperienced match day commander with no knowledge of the layout of the terrace. He would have ordered the gates to have been opened, as had been done in previous semi-finals before the pens and the barriers had been installed, and not given any order to close the gates leading into the already overcrowded central pens.

And they would have died by the score.

Shrewdness

Any comment in general over what was done to the Liam Whelan memorial in Dublin over the weekend? A few of ye have been onto the United thread condemning it, but in general the silence on this thread is deafening.

J OGorman

will never forget calling to see the memorial for the 96 outside the ground a few weeks after it was erected. Heartbreaking. I've always had a soft spot for the Toffee's since Hillsborough. The 2 teams united in grief. Hope they get the 4th spot

deiseach

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 15, 2014, 12:02:06 PM
Any comment in general over what was done to the Liam Whelan memorial in Dublin over the weekend? A few of ye have been onto the United thread condemning it, but in general the silence on this thread is deafening.

General comment? Down with that sort of thing.

brokencrossbar1

Why does anyone need to  condemn it here and there.  It was disgraceful but stop trying to be a smart arse about something on here when there is no need to,  particularly today. 

ballinaman

+ 1.
The amount of Irish surnames on that list.

deiseach

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 15, 2014, 12:16:12 PM

Why does anyone need to  condemn it here and there.  It was disgraceful but stop trying to be a smart arse about something on here when there is no need to,  particularly today.

Obvious concern troll is obvious.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: deiseach on April 15, 2014, 12:22:24 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 15, 2014, 12:16:12 PM

Obvious concern troll is obvious.

I know but today of all days and you have this shit.  Really fucks me off.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: ballinaman on April 15, 2014, 12:21:54 PM
+ 1.
The amount of Irish surnames on that list.

Yes and the ages of the victims.
R.I.P

Shrewdness

BrokenCrossbar. I wasn't trying to be smartarse. I had overlooked what the date was today, and acknowledge the significance of that date for Liverpool supporters. Today's date and my previous post were not intentionally linked in any way. That's it.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 15, 2014, 10:22:15 AM
I'll never forget it, and I wasn't within an ass's roar of England, never mind Leppings Lane or Hillsborough. It didn't affect me directly, and I didn't know anyone there. Thanks be to God. I was down in a friends house and was watching it on the small telly in his kitchen. Beardsley, I think, hit the bar and I remember oohing and aahing. Then the camera;s showed people coming onto the pitch down the far end. Initially I thought it was a hooligan thing, as Heysel was still fresh in my mind, and we were fairly pissed off. But within minutes it became clear the clamour at the the fences was not fighting, it was people trying to get out. You could see the terror on their faces, as they were pushed against the fence. I can still see their faces. It was horrible. Absolutely shocking. I remember my friend;s dad standing behind us and saying those people are dying. It was brutal. Some of the newspaper images the following days were particularly harrowing. I remember a girls face, almost blue, and knowing she must be dead. To imagine something like that happening on a sunny spring day at an FA Cup Semi Final is unbelievable, and no less sickening today than 25 years ago. RIP to all of them, and JFT96.

I came on here to write pretty much a similar thing to what you wrote there. Remember it very clearly, watching it at home on TV. Live matches on TV were few and far between so there we were on a glorious sunny day in the sitting room with the curtains pulled so we could see the TV better. Couldn't believe what was happening when it eventually became clear the enormity of the situation. I remember thinking that time sort of stood still. As a young lad I was thinking "take down those f**king barriers, get ambulances in" for what seemed like ages until it finally happened. I remember scores of people being lifted upwards by other supporters on the top tier to try in vain to relieve the pressure. A terrible, terrible tragedy. RIP.

deiseach

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 15, 2014, 12:37:52 PM
BrokenCrossbar. I wasn't trying to be smartarse. I had overlooked what the date was today, and acknowledge the significance of that date for Liverpool supporters. Today's date and my previous post were not intentionally linked in any way. That's it.

Even discounting the insensitivity regarding the day that is in it, your post was pure concern trolling. The issue is being adequately discussed on another thread yet it seems that unless everyone who posts on this thread dons sackcloth and ashes over it, then their "deafening" silence implies support for the vandalism of the Liam Whelan Bridge. I'm sure you'll deny that was your intention, which begs the question.

AZOffaly

It was discussed over there on the United thread, and most of the more prolific LFC supporters have already posted on that thread saying it's a disgrace and the people who did it are fucksticks. Do you expect us to double post the same thing in here? If you do, then for the record it's a disgrace and the people who did it are fucksticks.

J70

I don't get thus attitude. Why is there a burden on anyone here to condemn what was plainly the  brainless work of some teenage morons? Are we all collectively responsible? Will platitudes make you feel better? Is your opinion of the Liverpool supporters here that low that all of us need to pass a test by offering apologies and condemnation of yet another act of juvenile vandalism.