The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Got to fancy the reds to at least get a draw today.

The Worker

Who will be the first booked between Suarez rio and vidic?

Can see all 3 end up in Howard's notepad.

Captain Obvious

In fairness the only goal was well worked. Liverpool's poor defending almost gave away another three goals.

laoislad

Liverpool have been hopeless.Poor goal to give away,very soft defending.
Lucky not to be 3 or 4 down. Has Downing even touched the ball?
Suarez not on form either.
I fear for Liverpool in the second half,I dunno where a goal is gonna come from as they aren't creating anything.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Webb keeping Liverpool in the match with that penalty decision. Fairly toothless from the merseysiders at this stage.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Captain Obvious

Evra scores vs Liverpool just had to be..

The Worker

Captain Obvious

Much better from Liverpool in that second half. The best team won the game.

J70

Good display in the second half, but you can't play like they did in the first and expect a result against United. Definitely encouraging link-ups between Sturridge and Suarez, but they have to build on it. Could have nicked a point with that one Sturridge missed at the back post. He should have buried that.

laoislad

Far better second half from Liverpool,it's a shame they left it till then to turn up.
Very poor defending again for Vidic's goal.
Being honest though I thought Man United probably deserved the 3 points based on chances created and over all play so no complaints really.

Positives from the game was Sturridge who looks very lively and seems to be up for the challenge,even though he should really have scored a second.
Also thought Wisom was excellent today. 

Norwich next week at home so a good chance to bounce back straight away.

Oh and should Vidic not have owned up to that corner Liverpool didn't get when it went of Vidic's head  ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

GalwayBayBoy

Very disappointing how Rodgers sent the team out at first today. They just sat back and let Utd play in the first half and never pressurised the ball at all. When you go to Old Trafford you have to get in their faces and attack because they will concede goals. If you just stand off them they will eventually score anyway with someone like RVP knocking about the box. Suarez was so isolated he had 3 or 4 defenders around him the entire first 45 minutes. Very poor first half performance.

At least he got Sturridge on at half-time to occupy some of the other Utd defenders and free up space but the early goal after the break was a killer. Liverpool managed to get on top but couldn't get the equaliser. Pity that late chance fell onto Sturridge's wrong foot. Downing and Allen were passengers. Allen had a terrible game. Lightweight, concedes frees and even his passing has gone to shit.

Bingo

First half yesterday was very disappointing and the game itself sums Rodgers up I think and the one doubt I have over him, Is he brave or tactically cute to take on these big games and get a result? The first half was very poor and team was set up perfectly for United, was far too rigid, lacked flexibility and movement. Basically United knew what we where going to do and handled it with ease.

We where lucky to get in 1-0 down. Second half was better but still wasn't enough to get anything from the game. There was a bit more unpredictability about Liverpools play. We had Suarez in the game and support for him, all the midfield players where finding space and could move into advanced positions.

In the second half Gerard was very good but first half he was shocking. Had a few chances to shoot, like he did for the goal, but didn't have a go. His passing was sloppy, particularly in the final 3rd and he was at fault for the first goal as he stopped tracking back and walked, forcing Downing in off the wing to pick up a man who had run past Gerard and then Downings man was unmarked to pick out Van Persie for the opener. Johnny Giles highlighted this very well last night.

Overall the big positive was sturridge and Suarez looking like they could play together. Sterling and Allen need benching.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on January 14, 2013, 09:56:58 AM
First half yesterday was very disappointing and the game itself sums Rodgers up I think and the one doubt I have over him, Is he brave or tactically cute to take on these big games and get a result? The first half was very poor and team was set up perfectly for United, was far too rigid, lacked flexibility and movement. Basically United knew what we where going to do and handled it with ease.

We where lucky to get in 1-0 down. Second half was better but still wasn't enough to get anything from the game. There was a bit more unpredictability about Liverpools play. We had Suarez in the game and support for him, all the midfield players where finding space and could move into advanced positions.

In the second half Gerard was very good but first half he was shocking. Had a few chances to shoot, like he did for the goal, but didn't have a go. His passing was sloppy, particularly in the final 3rd and he was at fault for the first goal as he stopped tracking back and walked, forcing Downing in off the wing to pick up a man who had run past Gerard and then Downings man was unmarked to pick out Van Persie for the opener. Johnny Giles highlighted this very well last night.

Overall the big positive was sturridge and Suarez looking like they could play together. Sterling and Allen need benching.

Good summary Bingo. Gerrard has a propensity to to that recently. I've noticed it a few times over the past couple of years now. Maybe his legs are going a bit, but I think it's the discipline of being a midfielder. He cannot switch off and let runners go off him. He's still a good player going forward, but I've always mentally classed him as an 'attacking midfielder' rather than a pure controller of the game.

I'm also a bit worried about Sterling. I know he's only a young lad and the rest, but I hope he wasn't just playing for a big pay day. If he was, it will be a waste. He needs to be hungry.

I like Wisdom, and he'll make a centre half some day. Also thought Sturridge and Suarez looked like they have potential as a partnership. As long as Sturridge improves in his clinical finishing that has a real chance of working.

I actually am one of the few that like Joe Allen, but I think he's out of position. You never see him driving forward, and that's what he did at Swansea. Has he actually scored for Liverpool yet? I think Gerrard's role inhibits Allen.