The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

QuoteGareth Barry has accused Rafa Benitez of a lack of respect after the Liverpool manager questioned the motives behind his move to Manchester City.

The England midfielder left Aston Villa for Eastlands earlier this summer having come close to joining the Anfield outfit last year, only for the deal to fall through.

Barry had previously claimed he was eager to play UEFA Champions League football, but City will have no involvement in continental competition this year, which led to Benitez suggesting his decision was purely financial.

The left-sided ace is adamant that the money on offer from the cash-rich Eastlands outfit did not sway him, and he was more impressed by City's desire to bring him on board as they look to challenge the established hierarchy in English football.

"I found Rafa Benitez's comments a bit disrespectful," Barry told the Daily Telegraph.

"By that stage my decision was made and people should move on. There was genuine interest from Liverpool and I think he's probably just upset I chose City.

"I've been in the Premier League for 10 years, more, and the money I've been paid is phenomenal compared to your average, everyday working man. You live and work away from normal life anyway, so money's not a big factor.

"The difference was that City made me feel wanted. Liverpool had a chance to buy me last season but failed to pay the money, and only found it this year when they knew someone else had reached an agreement."

Barry admitted the collapse of his proposed move to Anfield last summer made his return to Villa Park a trying time and accused the Reds of making 'excuses' over their failure to complete the deal.

He added: "There was a feeling of being let down. Excuses were made about things going on behind the scenes and in the boardroom, but I came out of it looking like a bad person.

"It took a long time for me to get back into the squad at Villa afterwards. It was tough to deal with.

"That's why there's nothing better than a club making you feel wanted and getting a deal done in days.

"It's not about money, it's about the chance to be part of something big from the very beginning at a club who really want you."

Rafa making a habit of being accused of showing no respect! He does not take rejection well :-\

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 18, 2009, 02:27:13 PM
Would be content with Xabi leaving if we got Sneijder and Silva. Not sure how likely it is though. We may get one of them. Both would be fantastic.
would agree with that, but liverpool are still going to need someone as a direct replacement in centre midfield for xabi if he goes.niether silva or sneijder are really that.
hard to see who is out there that would come,someone like arteta would be great,but never going to happen.van der varrt maybe, but really the options are limited and in a season were they want to be pushing for the title, someone unproven wouldnt be  ideal.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

The Real Laoislad

Inter Milan are now reported to be interested in signing Xabi Alonso as his departure from Anfield looks more and more likely.

With Real Madrid now looking to draw in their horns a little after an expensive few weeks - they are looking to offload Gabriel Heinze to Marseille - Jose Mourinho's side may have muscled to the head of the Alonso queue.

Fresh from the stunnign coup in swapping Zlato Ibrahimovich for Samuel Eto'o and Alexander Hleb (on loan) they now seem set to turn their attentions to England according to the Gazzetta dello Sport.

Reports in Spain still suggest Real will tie up the 27 million euro deal this weekend, but Inter's appearance could add a new dimension to the affair.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Midman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 18, 2009, 02:10:32 PM
If they get Sneijder and Silva with change out of the £32m that would be unreal business in my view.  losing Mach would be a greater lose in my view than Alonso as Masch does all the real dirty work. 

All the other deals, Arbeloa, Dossena, seem to have drifted back a bit.  I presume as Dossena didn't get a jersey there is a deal already done but I wonder if Arbeloa is going to Madrid and Negredo coming the other way.  He has stated he wants to go to a club in England.

Dunno if id agree with that, I think Xabi will be a bigger loss than Mascherano. For the money we get for Alonso will we be able to find someone of equal quality?  As good as Mascherano is its egenerally easier to replace a destroyer than a playmaker

gawa316

The Reds XI in full is: Cavalieri, Degen, Insua, Carragher, Ayala, Gerrard, Plessis, Babel, El Zhar, Nemeth, Voronin. Subs: Martin, Gulacsi, Kelly, San Jose, Pacheco, Benayoun, Kuyt, Mascherano, Lucas, Ngog, Spearing, Skrtel.

mms://live2.wm.liverpoolfc.servecast.net/liverpoolfc_wmlz_xx_secure_enhanced450k

charlie stubbs

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 18, 2009, 08:07:59 PM
Inter Milan are now reported to be interested in signing Xabi Alonso as his departure from Anfield looks more and more likely.

With Real Madrid now looking to draw in their horns a little after an expensive few weeks - they are looking to offload Gabriel Heinze to Marseille - Jose Mourinho's side may have muscled to the head of the Alonso queue.

Fresh from the stunnign coup in swapping Zlato Ibrahimovich for Samuel Eto'o and Alexander Hleb (on loan) they now seem set to turn their attentions to England according to the Gazzetta dello Sport.

Reports in Spain still suggest Real will tie up the 27 million euro deal this weekend, but Inter's appearance could add a new dimension to the affair.

could hleb have done a job for us on the right?agree sneijder or silva be great if xabi leaves however not a direct replacement 4 xabi.  very few will have his range of passing >:(

Hound

Not a great start to pre-season.
0-0 and 0-1.

I saw most of the first game and the first half of the second.

No goals and didnt look much like scoring either.

Nemeth looked far sharper last pre-season than this one. Doesnt look like an option at all based on his two 45 minute stints - albeit service wasnt good.
Voronin very neat and tidy, clever, but still didnt manage to create anything and pace of pre-season games suit him.
Degen confirms the widely held view of him that he's good with the ball but poor defensively.
Johnson has had 45 minutes (at left back!) and looked very good. Physically stronger than I thought and never looked like he was playing on the wrong wing. Not tested a whole heap defensively.
In the first game Kuyt and Benny were the two who most looked like making something happen. Ngog missed a great chance when he misjudged a header and didnt do a whole heap positive. Pacheco looked bright and dangerous but no end product. Not sure how the four got on in the 2nd game (each time they played the 2nd half), other than they obviously failed to score a goal.

Minus15

watched the full game last night. Cavalieri was solid in nets and made a good save. degen just doesnt cut it! all he wants to do is bomb forward. he isnt that assured when in possession either. i thought ayala did well too. Spearing looked decent until he was moved to left back where he did well but I was enjoying watching him try t get on the ball as much as possible. Voronin looked quite lazy at times and didn't really offer any threat. Nemeth missed a golden headed chance early on and worked hard but service was poor. Pacheco showed a lot of promise and some good touches and through balls but still quite light. Ngog the same. balls bounce off him a wee bit too often. Babel looked ok but he needs to take care with his passing a wee bit more. the simple 5 yard lay offs are the one's that he mishits or plays too short more often than not.

Hound

Off to Thailand now, first game v Thailand on Wednesday, then play Singapore on Sunday.

28 man squad, so pretty much everyone travels - bar Gerrard who's in court and Aurelio who's injured. 3 of the young lads who took part in the Swiss camp have not travelled, Darby, Martin and Ayala.

Benitez refuses to comment on Alonso speculation other than to say he'll be taking part in the camp.

EC Unique

Just seen the CCTV footage of Stevie G's bust up. Can not understand how his legal team let him go with a 'not guilty' plea. Clearly shows him striking out and can not be defended as self defence. A bit silly of him to get involved in such behaviour but I suppose he would be like all them guys in that the amount of shit aimed at him would be hard to bare. He will be found guilty and get community service of some sort. A fine would not be a punishment to him.

slievegullion

Quote from: EC Unique on July 21, 2009, 09:22:09 PM
Just seen the CCTV footage of Stevie G's bust up. Can not understand how his legal team let him go with a 'not guilty' plea. Clearly shows him striking out and can not be defended as self defence. A bit silly of him to get involved in such behaviour but I suppose he would be like all them guys in that the amount of shit aimed at him would be hard to bare. He will be found guilty and get community service of some sort. A fine would not be a punishment to him.

It's as clear as mud EC which is why he has pleaded not guilty.

To be convicted the prosecution would need to prove 'beyond all reasonable doubt' that it was him. There is a lot of room for doubt, the quality of the footage is not good enough and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the figure striking out is a different man who has come in off camara.

corn02

Bullllllllllllshittttttttttttttt!

It is no more clear, whether he did or not is one thing, but that CCTV does not show it.

EC Unique

Quote from: corn02 on July 21, 2009, 09:37:18 PM

It is no more clear, whether he did or not is one thing, but that CCTV does not show it.

Watched it on Skynews where they slowed it down and highlighed SG. No question it was him Corn but sure you see what you choose. No big deal though. Mountain out of a molehill.

corn02

Quote from: EC Unique on July 21, 2009, 09:52:19 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 21, 2009, 09:37:18 PM

Watched it on Skynews where they slowed it down and highlighed SG. No question it was him Corn but sure you see what you choose. No big deal though. Mountain out of a molehill.

It may have been hin, but the only clear punch is the first sly act, which is not Gerrard. So you see what you want to.

If they had this CCTV why did they reduce charges from assault to affray?

Lecale2