The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: cockahoop on March 23, 2015, 12:12:38 PM
Any doubts people had about Steven Gerard leaving g should be well gone now,in the space if a year he has lost Liverpool the title and now has pretty much cost them a top four finish.

Gerrard wasn't on the field for the puke first half performance either. Having said that, I agree with the point that he is at best a bit part player now. He didn't 'cost' Liverpool the league last year though. Nor did he 'cost' them a top four finish this year. That's just hyperbole.

I have said for a while now though that his legs are gone and the only position he can play is advanced midfield, and even then only for a part time role.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 23, 2015, 12:14:36 PM
How many games will Gerrard & Skertel be banned for?

Was Skrtel charged? I'm sure Gerrard will get 3.

mikehunt

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 23, 2015, 12:15:19 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 23, 2015, 12:14:36 PM
How many games will Gerrard & Skertel be banned for?

Was Skrtel charged? I'm sure Gerrard will get 3.

Will struggle to get 2nd with Gerrard out for 3 games.

Thewildcat

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 23, 2015, 12:11:14 PM
Quote from: Thewildcat on March 23, 2015, 11:26:11 AM
is that the same sterling thats looking for 13000 grand a week after yesterday display i give him 25 quid. but a midfield of Henderson,joe Allen, Adam Lallana will not get you top 4 as poor as the english league is.

Henderson has been very good this season, and is one of the reasons for Liverpool's good form. Joe Allen has been very good in the past 3 or 4 games, but was poor yesterday. Lallana has been a bit up and down all year.

Lets be fair as we know that English football is not as it is build up as, the record in europe this seasons shows with all clubs way off the pace, even liverpool got knock out of two euro cups,  Henderson and Allen would be good fair enough midfielders but they are way off world class or. if Henderson was irish there wouldn't be a word about him. in fact i think Everton James McCarthy is a better midfielder and Jamie Carragher said as much yesterday and said he love him at liverpool, how long is Allen at liverpool now 3 or 4 seasons what did he cost was it 14 million and still has to make a name for himself.  Lallana cost 25 million there no way his worth that how many goals has he scored, his English as why there is so much made about him, the same as Barkley the lad can play but way over rated but as like the liverpool players his English, now don't start me on sterling who was looking for a rest after 4 games this season did do him any good looking at him yesterday or the last few weeks,

thebigfella

Quote from: JoG2 on March 23, 2015, 12:03:15 PM
Quote from: shawshank on March 23, 2015, 11:36:46 AM
Would you prefer that the owners/share holders get more money then?

I'd prefer ticket prices, merch, tours etc etc etc lowered & matches to be on free to air (like the good old days). . That's me in la la land though. John Terry earns more in a week than 2 brain surgeons earn combined in a year. Insane

They were never on free to air in the good old days.

Lecale2

Quote from: thebigfella on March 23, 2015, 12:42:20 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 23, 2015, 12:03:15 PM
Quote from: shawshank on March 23, 2015, 11:36:46 AM
Would you prefer that the owners/share holders get more money then?

I'd prefer ticket prices, merch, tours etc etc etc lowered & matches to be on free to air (like the good old days). . That's me in la la land though. John Terry earns more in a week than 2 brain surgeons earn combined in a year. Insane

They were never on free to air in the good old days.

BBC and ITV??

deiseach

It was the free-to-airiness that probably cemented Liverpool's place in so many Irish minds. From the autumn of 1988 to the summer of 1992, I'd say more than half of Liverpool's league and cup matches were live on the telly. If they were not on ITV/BBC on Sunday, they were on RTÉ on Saturday. Easy viewing, except for that one period around April/May 1989, for all manner of reasons...

J70

Never thought about this before, but what did people in the south do to see televised games back before RTE got the Saturday afternoon rights?

Living only a few miles from the Tyrone border (as the crow flies - too mountainous for direct roads! ), we had a box and antenna which captured the BBC/UTV signals, so we got Match of the Day and the Big Match highlights and live coverage.

deiseach

Quote from: deiseach on March 23, 2015, 01:12:15 PM
It was the free-to-airiness that probably cemented Liverpool's place in so many Irish minds. From the autumn of 1988 to the summer of 1992, I'd say more than half of Liverpool's league and cup matches were live on the telly. If they were not on ITV/BBC on Sunday, they were on RTÉ on Saturday. Easy viewing, except for that one period around April/May 1989, for all manner of reasons...

A local entrepreneur would set up a deflector system to pick up the signals from the UK and could be picked up by those who had the correct aerial installed in their house. This far south we had to do with the Welsh channels which was mostly a nuisance but did mean we had Sgorio showing Serie A long before anyone else. Given the Wiki treatment here. We were about the only people who didn't have it so we had to head over to our grandmother's house to watch The Match on Sunday in the ever-so-charmless company of Elton Welsby.

Bensars

Quote from: deiseach on March 23, 2015, 01:12:15 PM

Thats a bit like the Armagh view that Football only started in 2002!  ;)

For a lot of irish down through the years, Liverpool was the first stop on the boat. The bond between the irish and liverpool was forged long before the live television.

Back in the 70s and especially with Liverpools excursions  and  victories in Europe it was all about Sportsnight on BBC to get any football fix ( bar the big match and match of the day)

AZOffaly

Quote from: Thewildcat on March 23, 2015, 12:31:22 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 23, 2015, 12:11:14 PM
Quote from: Thewildcat on March 23, 2015, 11:26:11 AM
is that the same sterling thats looking for 13000 grand a week after yesterday display i give him 25 quid. but a midfield of Henderson,joe Allen, Adam Lallana will not get you top 4 as poor as the english league is.

Henderson has been very good this season, and is one of the reasons for Liverpool's good form. Joe Allen has been very good in the past 3 or 4 games, but was poor yesterday. Lallana has been a bit up and down all year.

Lets be fair as we know that English football is not as it is build up as, the record in europe this seasons shows with all clubs way off the pace, even liverpool got knock out of two euro cups,  Henderson and Allen would be good fair enough midfielders but they are way off world class or. if Henderson was irish there wouldn't be a word about him. in fact i think Everton James McCarthy is a better midfielder and Jamie Carragher said as much yesterday and said he love him at liverpool, how long is Allen at liverpool now 3 or 4 seasons what did he cost was it 14 million and still has to make a name for himself.  Lallana cost 25 million there no way his worth that how many goals has he scored, his English as why there is so much made about him, the same as Barkley the lad can play but way over rated but as like the liverpool players his English, now don't start me on sterling who was looking for a rest after 4 games this season did do him any good looking at him yesterday or the last few weeks,

Don't disagree with much of that to be honest, British players are always overpriced and overrated. I think that's natural. Irish players are overrated by Irish people, and I think you've probably done a bit of that in your post :)

I was just saying I think a midfield with Henderson would be fine for the Premier league. Not so sure about Allen alright, I think he's a tidy squad player, but games like yesterday's are obviously a step too far for him. They bought him when Rodgers philosophy was much more based on retaining possession and 'controlling' games. Hence the sideways and backwards passing. Now it's morphed into a quick strike pressing type game, and he's not an ideal fit there.

screenexile

Richie Keys knows the craic lads. . . Rodgers is trying to take over the club... He wants to call them Rodgers FC as soon as Stevie is out the door!!

http://richardajkeys.com/richards-blog/entry/i-don-t-blame-stevie-g

Seriously this is Jim Corr like stuff!!

deiseach

Quote from: Bensars on March 23, 2015, 01:56:29 PM
For a lot of irish down through the years, Liverpool was the first stop on the boat. The bond between the irish and liverpool was forged long before the live television.

Back in the 70s and especially with Liverpools excursions  and  victories in Europe it was all about Sportsnight on BBC to get any football fix ( bar the big match and match of the day)

I'm not saying it's the only reason, but it's definitely part of the reason. No one in my family ever played or even followed 'soccer', so we didn't pick it up from anyone who remembers the 70's. As for the boat to Liverpool, Everton were the team of choice for the Irish in the 50's. This fact has been explained by Liverpool supposedly being the Orange club in Liverpool, when in truth it's down to Liverpool being in Division Two for most of the decade and the legendary Johnny Carey rolling up to Goodison (and out in a taxi).

JoG2

Quote from: screenexile on March 23, 2015, 01:59:07 PM
Richie Keys knows the craic lads. . . Rodgers is trying to take over the club... He wants to call them Rodgers FC as soon as Stevie is out the door!!

good old hairy hands, the mans not wise

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on March 23, 2015, 02:03:21 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 23, 2015, 01:59:07 PM

There's a great thread on f365 taking the piss out of him.

Its a cracking thread alright. Keyes is like a parody of himself at this stage - dark forces, truth will come out, saving it for the book, invented Monday night football, I know but can't say, wasn't sacked, Sky/The Redknapps are evil.