The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Very interesting take on the transfer dealings and ultimately the squad Rodgers has at his disposal

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=827249320668378&id=398614653531849

heganboy

text from above
QuoteLiverpool Echo's James Pearce one of the most trusted persons regarding LFC affairs has come out to suggest that the Transfer Committee (TC) could have made BR's work difficult at Anfield. The sale of senior players on big wages and the signings that BR made this season were not totally his choice, but the committee's. Many managers refused to work under a sporting director when they were interviewed by FSG for the job before BR came in. FSG later set up this committee that is identical, or perhaps wields more power than a sporting director, whilst giving the idea that the manager is totally in charge. Whatever decision the manager makes with regards to signings and contracts, will be voted by 5 people in the committee. Only in the case of a majority vote, BR can sign the players he wants. Otherwise he has to improvise with the players chosen by the TC. Pearce says BR NEVER wanted to sign Balotelli but was forced to settle for him. In other words, it was the TC that ultimately failed to replace Suarez despite getting big money by selling him. Pearce says BR also made it clear that he wanted Michel Vorm and that signing a GK is a priority. But he says the transfer committee refused to pay his value despite only spending over 30mil in net spending this summer. This also had a significant impact on Mignolet's form as LFC didn't try to provide competition for the Belgian. Pearce says paying top bucks for Lovren made perfect sense at that point, as he was not one for the future, but was coming in as a top centre back, based on his form with the Saints and his Premier League experience. He was bought to hit the ground running. However he's had a major dip in form which is disappointing says Pearce. Similar tone has been voiced by Mike Bernard, a former employee of FSG, who said BR failing to see eye-to-eye with some of the TC members and their signings, is getting a little unsavoury. Mike noted that BR wanted Eriksen and Bony but was overruled. This also goes back to previous failures to show the money and securing players early when they had interest to move to LFC. Plenty of dragging negotiations and low-balling saw the failure of securing targets such as Willian, Salah, Mikhtaryan, Konoplyanka and more. Diego Costa was identified by BR as a transfer target when Costa was playing as a wing-forward, long before he became a star in that out-and-out striker position and caught the whole world's attention. TC thought his release clause of 20mil back then was too much. The rest is history. While we drag our feet on targets, other clubs come into the picture, showed the money and swooped them as we watch helplessly. Even for Sanchez, Phil Thompson declared during the world cup that we had Sanchez in the bag. However too much negotiations into details and conditions in payment method allowed Arsenal to sneak in and turn his and his wife's head.
Pearce also does not believe with the popular excuse that BR got founded after Suarez left, and that it was the Uruguayan who made BR look good last season. He says BR's tactical acumen led the team prosper last season, not Suarez alone. The expectations has been raised by last season's football and LFC are struggling with the pressure now he adds. Pearce labels Borini's position as strange and wonders if it could be the club showing frustration against him, for not being able to secure 14mil from Sunderland and another 13mil from QPR. They're certainly making it clear to Borini that he shouldn't reject another deal in January. Another journo Graham Beecroft says Borini could have indicated that he rather sit on the bench and take the wages or run down his contract, than moving to a small club ie Sunderland, QPR who are also refusing to pay more wages than LFC. Could be the reason why he's strangely frozen. Could be the club's decision not the manager's.
The last time Pearce spoke to BR, the manager said Can and some of the new players are still trying to adapt to his philosophy of football and it could be the reason why BR resorts to playing those who know what is expected of them for now. But Pearce says he will speak to BR again about Can to find out more on his position. Pearce says LFC's season could depend on Sturridge coming back to be paired with Balotelli upfront, and then allow the rest of the team to click. Pearce doesn't know if FSG are willing to spend in January but it's a question of can they afford not to. As champions league new TV deal brings in over 40mil next season compared to 25mil before, he opines that LFC must spend. Especially on a top quality striker, taking into account Studge's fitness
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Bingo

And so it starts - the leaking, the blame game and the finger pointing.

A sure sign of discontent and moves been made to protect themselves.

Its coming very soon if this is where the club is at. How many times do they have to change direction on the field before any changes are made off it.

AZOffaly

I'm not surprised there is a transfer committee. That's the American model that the owners would know and trust. No American sport has the 'coach' signing players. The General Manager is supposed to work with the coach and chase targets. In a lot of cases it's the General Manager that builds the team, and the coach is charged with coaching them. That's why GMs in American Sports find themselves in the front line for firings as much as coaches do.

One thing that seems ominous to me is that Steven Gerrard has been very, very quiet recently. I can't find his last comment. Usually after games he's the one talking about the performance or whatever, but he's not been really in the papers/lfc.com at all. To me that means he either doesn't want to comment because he's going to be very critical of players or management, or else he doesn't care anymore and has given up, or else he is being marginalised as the face of the club by BR. Either way, I don't think it's a positive sign.

I've been very skeptical that Rodgers would be fired, because I think he deserves a chance to put it right, and has some capital in the bank from last year. However FSG did fire a very successful manager in Francona, and now with comments from Jamie Carragher about 'ruthless owners', pieces like this, and comments from Rodgers himself, I'm beginning to wonder.

ardtole

I just checked the odds on next premiership manager to be sacked. Nigel Pearson 6/5, next Brendan Rodgers 9/4. Bad result against Bournemouth, tough game at Arsenal id say he would be odds on, if he is still there at all.

supersub

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 16, 2014, 10:04:53 AM
I'm not surprised there is a transfer committee. That's the American model that the owners would know and trust. No American sport has the 'coach' signing players. The General Manager is supposed to work with the coach and chase targets. In a lot of cases it's the General Manager that builds the team, and the coach is charged with coaching them. That's why GMs in American Sports find themselves in the front line for firings as much as coaches do.

One thing that seems ominous to me is that Steven Gerrard has been very, very quiet recently. I can't find his last comment. Usually after games he's the one talking about the performance or whatever, but he's not been really in the papers/lfc.com at all. To me that means he either doesn't want to comment because he's going to be very critical of players or management, or else he doesn't care anymore and has given up, or else he is being marginalised as the face of the club by BR. Either way, I don't think it's a positive sign.

I've been very skeptical that Rodgers would be fired, because I think he deserves a chance to put it right, and has some capital in the bank from last year. However FSG did fire a very successful manager in Francona, and now with comments from Jamie Carragher about 'ruthless owners', pieces like this, and comments from Rodgers himself, I'm beginning to wonder.

He was speaking after the Basel game less than a week ago? I think you may be reading too much into that. He can hardly come out and say much at the moment really unprovoked. He knows it isn't good enough, but words to the media aren't going to put it right. If he is feeling critical of the manager, would he be critical of BR keeping him in the side every game? His hands are tied imo.

AZOffaly

Quote from: supersub on December 16, 2014, 10:28:15 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 16, 2014, 10:04:53 AM

He was speaking after the Basel game less than a week ago? I think you may be reading too much into that. He can hardly come out and say much at the moment really unprovoked. He knows it isn't good enough, but words to the media aren't going to put it right. If he is feeling critical of the manager, would he be critical of BR keeping him in the side every game? His hands are tied imo.

In the papers or on telly? I didn't see any interviews with him. It just seems odd to me. The Captain is usually the lad who is the face of the club on the website etc.

supersub

ITV / Sky interview after the game!

That's true - the only other recent relevant public correspondence was on his Instagram quashing the rift rumours.

JoG2

Quote from: heganboy on December 16, 2014, 02:41:46 AM
text from above
QuoteLiverpool Echo's James Pearce one of the most trusted persons regarding LFC affairs has come out to suggest that the Transfer Committee (TC) could have made BR's work difficult at Anfield. The sale of senior players on big wages and the signings that BR made this season were not totally his choice, but the committee's. Many managers refused to work under a sporting director when they were interviewed by FSG for the job before BR came in. FSG later set up this committee that is identical, or perhaps wields more power than a sporting director, whilst giving the idea that the manager is totally in charge. Whatever decision the manager makes with regards to signings and contracts, will be voted by 5 people in the committee. Only in the case of a majority vote, BR can sign the players he wants. Otherwise he has to improvise with the players chosen by the TC. Pearce says BR NEVER wanted to sign Balotelli but was forced to settle for him. In other words, it was the TC that ultimately failed to replace Suarez despite getting big money by selling him. Pearce says BR also made it clear that he wanted Michel Vorm and that signing a GK is a priority. But he says the transfer committee refused to pay his value despite only spending over 30mil in net spending this summer. This also had a significant impact on Mignolet's form as LFC didn't try to provide competition for the Belgian. Pearce says paying top bucks for Lovren made perfect sense at that point, as he was not one for the future, but was coming in as a top centre back, based on his form with the Saints and his Premier League experience. He was bought to hit the ground running. However he's had a major dip in form which is disappointing says Pearce. Similar tone has been voiced by Mike Bernard, a former employee of FSG, who said BR failing to see eye-to-eye with some of the TC members and their signings, is getting a little unsavoury. Mike noted that BR wanted Eriksen and Bony but was overruled. This also goes back to previous failures to show the money and securing players early when they had interest to move to LFC. Plenty of dragging negotiations and low-balling saw the failure of securing targets such as Willian, Salah, Mikhtaryan, Konoplyanka and more. Diego Costa was identified by BR as a transfer target when Costa was playing as a wing-forward, long before he became a star in that out-and-out striker position and caught the whole world's attention. TC thought his release clause of 20mil back then was too much. The rest is history. While we drag our feet on targets, other clubs come into the picture, showed the money and swooped them as we watch helplessly. Even for Sanchez, Phil Thompson declared during the world cup that we had Sanchez in the bag. However too much negotiations into details and conditions in payment method allowed Arsenal to sneak in and turn his and his wife's head.
Pearce also does not believe with the popular excuse that BR got founded after Suarez left, and that it was the Uruguayan who made BR look good last season. He says BR's tactical acumen led the team prosper last season, not Suarez alone. The expectations has been raised by last season's football and LFC are struggling with the pressure now he adds. Pearce labels Borini's position as strange and wonders if it could be the club showing frustration against him, for not being able to secure 14mil from Sunderland and another 13mil from QPR. They're certainly making it clear to Borini that he shouldn't reject another deal in January. Another journo Graham Beecroft says Borini could have indicated that he rather sit on the bench and take the wages or run down his contract, than moving to a small club ie Sunderland, QPR who are also refusing to pay more wages than LFC. Could be the reason why he's strangely frozen. Could be the club's decision not the manager's.
The last time Pearce spoke to BR, the manager said Can and some of the new players are still trying to adapt to his philosophy of football and it could be the reason why BR resorts to playing those who know what is expected of them for now. But Pearce says he will speak to BR again about Can to find out more on his position. Pearce says LFC's season could depend on Sturridge coming back to be paired with Balotelli upfront, and then allow the rest of the team to click. Pearce doesn't know if FSG are willing to spend in January but it's a question of can they afford not to. As champions league new TV deal brings in over 40mil next season compared to 25mil before, he opines that LFC must spend. Especially on a top quality striker, taking into account Studge's fitness

are these quotes from Pearce in the piece?

who are the "many managers" interviewed who turned the job down due to the TC?

Surely most of the that chunky paragraph is typical of the hearsay and speculation that riddles facebook

AZOffaly

Quote from: supersub on December 16, 2014, 01:30:35 PM
ITV / Sky interview after the game!

That's true - the only other recent relevant public correspondence was on his Instagram quashing the rift rumours.

Right, I didn't have the stomach to watch the post match interviews on TV. I usually see interviews with him on LFC.com or something like that, and he's been quiet recently.

laoislad

Quote from: ardtole on December 16, 2014, 10:12:09 AM
I just checked the odds on next premiership manager to be sacked. Nigel Pearson 6/5, next Brendan Rodgers 9/4. Bad result against Bournemouth, tough game at Arsenal id say he would be odds on, if he is still there at all.
Bournemouth will be really fired up for this. Would it even be a shock if they won? Probably not.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on December 16, 2014, 01:59:45 PM
Quote from: ardtole on December 16, 2014, 10:12:09 AM
Bournemouth will be really fired up for this. Would it even be a shock if they won? Probably not.

I'm getting a Northampton feeling here.

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 16, 2014, 12:00:27 AM
Quote from: CD on December 15, 2014, 07:14:53 PM
The major component Liverpool are currently missing is confidence. All the other things, goalkeeping, poor defending, scoring goals, are symptoms of this. They are not a poor team. They are not poor players. They are a squad who need a bit of luck and a turn in their fortunes. The catalyst could be the return of Sturridge, it could be a few wins or it could be a change of manager. History tells us that a change of manager is the most likely outcome when a team is in a spiral like this but Liverpool should win 5 out of their next 6 and it could save BR's job. There is no reason why they couldn't go on a run like Newcastle or Utd have recently and turn their fortunes arouNd.

Surely with the season they had last year confidence wouldn't be a problem??

But she's such a fickle beast!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

deiseach

Quote from: charlieTully on June 24, 2014, 08:25:25 PM
Quote from: under the bar on June 24, 2014, 06:51:55 PM
However if Liverpool don't get rid then they become a club that accepts any sc**bag in their ranks.   I'd expect the Americans have spent long enough lifting the club out of the gutter to allow its image to take yet another knock.

are they not that already?, they kept him on after the whole evra racism scandal, they had diouf, fowler the coke head, its liverpool ffs, the words sc**bag and liverpool sits neatly in the same sentence.

charlieTully, any suggestions for words that sit neatly with 'Celtic' in the light of their passionate defence of Aleksandr Tonev?

(NB I haven't posted this in the Celtic thread because I don't want it to about them v us, it's the bould charlie's attitude that I'm asking about.)