The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

With Suarez, it was like Liverpool had 12 players. We'll have to get by with just 11 from now on.

AZOffaly

Aye, except we won more games without him than with him (I think?).

Liverpool have won 50% of their games with Suarez, and 64% without. Interestingly, we've played 5 games this year and won 3, lost 2. A 60% rate.

A great player, but a lunatic. Liverpool would obviously be a better team right now with him, but in the long term the squad is better now. It just needs time to cook, and I hope by the time it's done, we're not in a battle for 7th.

nrico2006

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2014, 11:44:44 AM

Liverpool have won 50% of their games with Suarez, and 64% without. Interestingly, we've played 5 games this year and won 3, lost 2. A 60% rate.

A great player, but a lunatic. Liverpool would obviously be a better team right now with him, but in the long term the squad is better now. It just needs time to cook, and I hope by the time it's done, we're not in a battle for 7th.

One stat I hate is the ones you see about wiining success with and without players whenever the number of games with a player is quite high and the number without is quite low, therefore the percentage is always going to be higher without.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

muppet

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 17, 2014, 11:51:15 AM

One stat I hate is the ones you see about wiining success with and without players whenever the number of games with a player is quite high and the number without is quite low, therefore the percentage is always going to be higher without.

Does the 'without' include League Cup games and the like?
MWWSI 2017

mikehunt

It's far too early to judge the new signings but I'm going to anyway. It'll take time for the noobs to settle in but the goals will flow again. Replacing a 30 goal striker was always going to be impossible so one option to offset the loss of goals is to tighten up at the back. No matter who the personnel are the back 5 always look nervy and exposed. Gerrard was never a shielding type of player in his prime and is not one now. Good with the ball but not without it. Do you drop him?

Mignolet is an average goalie, a better one is needed. Makes a lot of mistakes that aren't that obvious but are there nonetheless. I think the centre halves are fine and don't need replacing, how they play as a unit does need changing though .Sakho was captain of his club at a young age and is in the French national team. Agger was a classy player but prone to the odd mistake. Skrtel gives everything but makes mistakes too. The latter two were never as dodgy looking under Rafa. The goal conceded last night was a carbon copy of Aguero's. Lovren lost and Mignolet in no man's land. Mistakes are forgiveable but not learning from them is not. I've said it numerous times that Rodgers needs to get someone in that can tighten them up as a unit.

I remember when Liverpool had issues with their goalies, James got the heebies, then Brad Friedel, Westeveldt, Carson, Kirkland, Dudek . Probems stopped when the goalkeeper coach left. Might be a coincidence. I don't think it is. Coach them right and things will improve. Rodgers needs to bite the bullet and bring someone in that can help.

Milltown Row2

Should have pushed the boat out with all that money and got a player like Costa. like for like it seems with the start he's had for Chelsea
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mikehunt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2014, 12:06:47 PM
Should have pushed the boat out with all that money and got a player like Costa. like for like it seems with the start he's had for Chelsea

They tried to sgin him last summer but he didn't want to move.

AZOffaly

Quote from: mikehunt on September 17, 2014, 12:15:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2014, 12:06:47 PM

They tried to sgin him last summer but he didn't want to move.

Couldn't do it anyway. They needed to strengthen the defence, and they needed more players to put in the first team. Liverpool can't, or won't, spend huge wodges of money on one player at this stage of their development. If all these lads settle in, and LFC get 4th place, then maybe you look at spending 60-70 mill on a top striker. LFC can't have their cake and eat it, and I actually think they've done it the right way. Replacing Suarez with any one player (who could get injured or suspended for decapitating someone) would be a serious gamble if the rest of the squad was as threadbare as it was last year.

AZOffaly

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 17, 2014, 11:51:15 AM

I agree with you, it's a lies, damn lies and statistics thing. However the sample size isn't tiny as Suarez missed a lot of games through suspensions. Ajax have a similar number by the way.

The goals per game stats are way higher with him in the side than without, and that too was obvious last season at Anfield.

Lookit, Suarez was and is a class player, but he's gone and he ain't coming back. He was always going to go at some stage, and I think the plan to replace him is a sound one. Build up the squad, hopefully remain as a challenger for a European place, and then maybe look at a marquee striker again next season. Sure Falcao will be available then :)

brokencrossbar1

Valdes will hopefully be a good addition if he can prove his fitness,  even just for a few seasons.  I reckon that a strong defensive coach is needed,  Steve Clark seemed to be the real deal under Kenny.  The positioning for the goal was rank last night.  Sakho left too big of a gap and Lovren struggled.  The thing though was the ball was lost in a forward position when they were pushing for a second goal when they really should have been running the clock down by passing the ball about.  They tried to force the game.  Moreno and Sterling were both pushing forward when and pushed it one when they should have been more conservative.  This meant that Sakho had to be pulled wider as there was no LB and that created the gap.  They are inexperienced lads so this can be forgiven but they need to learn.

Anyway, 3 points, a Mario goal (with a celebration!!!) and no new injuries.  Last year was a slow start as well.  Patience is needed as we know we over achieved last year and top 4 and last 8 in the CL would be another brilliant year.

AZOffaly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 17, 2014, 12:36:20 PM
Valdes will hopefully be a good addition if he can prove his fitness,  even just for a few seasons.  I reckon that a strong defensive coach is needed,  Steve Clark seemed to be the real deal under Kenny.  The positioning for the goal was rank last night.  Sakho left too big of a gap and Lovren struggled.  The thing though was the ball was lost in a forward position when they were pushing for a second goal when they really should have been running the clock down by passing the ball about.  They tried to force the game.  Moreno and Sterling were both pushing forward when and pushed it one when they should have been more conservative.  This meant that Sakho had to be pulled wider as there was no LB and that created the gap.  They are inexperienced lads so this can be forgiven but they need to learn.

Anyway, 3 points, a Mario goal (with a celebration!!!) and no new injuries.  Last year was a slow start as well.  Patience is needed as we know we over achieved last year and top 4 and last 8 in the CL would be another brilliant year.

Exactly BC. Last year might have raised expectations a little bit, and has given people a chance to say 'Ye missed yer chance' but this was always going to be a longer term job. We were coming from a long ways back. I think if LFC get a top 4 spot, and qualify out of their group in the CL, it's a good season. If they could win a Cup, then I'd be very happy.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 17, 2014, 12:36:20 PM

the main problem with their goal was that the guy was able to get the ball in the middle of the pitch and turn in an acre of space and play a through ball, gerrard, lucas and henderson were no where near him.
TBH i would fault gerard for the goal as much as anyone. Its his job to be protecting the back 4 and at that stage of the game, he shouldnt have been thinking about doing anything else.
Saying that, Mignolet needs to do far better than that. For me , he makes far to many errors, and he made a few last year in big games that really cost them ( city in particular springs to mind)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

supersub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2014, 10:07:28 AM
Quote from: supersub on September 17, 2014, 08:43:31 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 16, 2014, 10:15:23 PM
Won a match against a 12/1 team, was never in doubt really lol

What price were MK Dons..?

Wins a win. Should never have been in a position to drop points after the first goal so late on. A lot of new faces in who haven't got going just yet and Coutinho struggling for form. You can't expect an exact replica of last season given the changes. Given time though I think they same style will develop over the coming months. Lovren a good buy. Mario had a lot still to do for the goal. Would like to see him contribute more.

5/1 But hey don't let me ruin the party. Solid performance from a title chasing team

Haha pull the other one. Double that and we'll talk.

Wins a win though  ;)

theskull1

I sat through that with my son last night. Somebody help me understand what is remotely entertaining about watching obscenely overpaid sportsmen serving that up.  I was reared on motd and perversely still look forward to it, but find myself more and more getting scundered looking at it after half an hour. Its a complete borefest AFAIC.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

deiseach

Quote from: theskull1 on September 17, 2014, 01:43:09 PM
I sat through that with my son last night. Somebody help me understand what is remotely entertaining about watching obscenely overpaid sportsmen serving that up.  I was reared on motd and perversely still look forward to it, but find myself more and more getting scundered looking at it after half an hour. Its a complete borefest AFAIC.

Last night was a poor game. When it's good, it's very very good. And few have been as purely entertaining as Liverpool have been under Rodgers. Just ask my heart.