The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 15, 2011, 08:56:25 AM
I still remember the horror as a 16 year old watching that. Some of the pictures were so harrowing.

I remember as a 9 year old being thoroughly confused about what was going on, while my dad was horrified.
It was only years later that the awfulness of it all really set in. Thank god i didnt really take it in....

Doogie Browser

Bingo

Remembering the 96 RIP. YNWA

JFT96

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 15, 2011, 08:56:25 AM
I still remember the horror as a 16 year old watching that. Some of the pictures were so harrowing.

They went to a football match, they never came home.
YNWA the 96.

I can still remember really looking forward to that match. Cloughie was still looking for the one trophy that had eluded him and Liverpool were Liverpool. I remember the Forest fans at the other end booing initially as they thought it was crowd trouble (in the old sense of the word). When they started carrying the bodies past on those makeshift stretchers the Forest fans started applauding. I couldn't make any sense of what I was watching.

RIP
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on April 15, 2011, 09:32:01 AM
I can still remember really looking forward to that match. Cloughie was still looking for the one trophy that had eluded him and Liverpool were Liverpool. I remember the Forest fans at the other end booing initially as they thought it was crowd trouble (in the old sense of the word). When they started carrying the bodies past on those makeshift stretchers the Forest fans started applauding. I couldn't make any sense of what I was watching.

RIP

We had a unique perspective on it here in Ireland simply because it was on the telly. I remember Peter Beardsley hitting the bar in the opening minutes and even at that stage I was thinking it looked jammed in Leppings Lane - nobody jumped up. Because of the telly, we saw far quicker than those in Britain what was happening. There's a scene in Fever Pitch where the Nick Hornby character is at Highbury with his bemused girlfriend and receives a Chinese whisper that there's trouble at the cup game in Sheffield. That was all they heard. They only found out what really happened when they got home. Can you imagine the Everton fans at the other semi-final?

RIP

brokencrossbar1

I can remember watching it and couldn't understand what was really happening. Myself and 2 friends(one a former poster on here were watching it in my house. One of the lads had a cousin who was at the game but thankfully not in that crowd. I recently read Phil Scraton's book again and it brings back the whole horror of it.     

deiseach

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 15, 2011, 09:58:49 AM
I recently read Phil Scraton's book again and it brings back the whole horror of it.   

It's a tough read. Rubs your nose in sheer awfulness of it all

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on April 15, 2011, 10:10:38 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 15, 2011, 09:58:49 AM
I recently read Phil Scraton's book again and it brings back the whole horror of it.   

It's a tough read. Rubs your nose in sheer awfulness of it all

Its a brillant read in a terrible way.

Very good piece on official website today  - 96 people asked what Hillsborough means to them. People range from players, owners, survivors, families, jounalists etc etc. Very harrowing read.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: deiseach on April 15, 2011, 09:42:08 AM

RIP

We had a unique perspective on it here in Ireland simply because it was on the telly. I remember Peter Beardsley hitting the bar in the opening minutes and even at that stage I was thinking it looked jammed in Leppings Lane - nobody jumped up. Because of the telly, we saw far quicker than those in Britain what was happening. There's a scene in Fever Pitch where the Nick Hornby character is at Highbury with his bemused girlfriend and receives a Chinese whisper that there's trouble at the cup game in Sheffield. That was all they heard. They only found out what really happened when they got home. Can you imagine the Everton fans at the other semi-final?

RIP

Was it Everton/ Norwich in the other semi? I think I read somehwere that some of them only learnt of the disaster that evening when they got off the train at Liverpool.

RIP
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

AZOffaly

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 15, 2011, 10:27:36 AM
Quote from: deiseach on April 15, 2011, 09:42:08 AM

RIP

RIP

Was it Everton/ Norwich in the other semi? I think I read somehwere that some of them only learnt of the disaster that evening when they got off the train at Liverpool.

RIP

Correct Norf. I think the players heard something in the dressing room afterwards, but it was the radio that was the main source of info in those days with no mobile phones etc, so a lot of the fans at Villa Park would have only heard about it when they got home.

nifan

Quotebut it was the radio that was the main source of info in those days with no mobile phones etc

True - amazing how connected we are today.

Today we would have hundreds of additional videos from within the stands, recordings of people calling from in the stands, and perhaps the ability to reaact quicker with information coming directly from those inside the ground.

EC Unique

Its only when you read something like that above with all the ages that it hits you how bad it really was. So many so young. Many of them just children. RIP. :(

laoislad

Just watching the memorial service there.
Great to see Rafa at it,the man was actually in tears when he was singled out for thanks.
Fair play Rafa.

RIP the 96
YNWA Greatest Club in the World...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.