Tyrone v Kerry NFL Round 2

Started by Kerry Mike, February 01, 2009, 04:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 24, 2009, 02:00:46 PM
Good man Mickey, what a rock of sense...

Red Hands boss slams 'Ricey' ban
By Brendan Crossan
24/02/2009

Tyrone defender McMenamin (below) has been hit with the ban for grabbing Kerry player Paul Galvin by the privates, for which he will miss four NFL games. Harte yesterday confirmed an appeal would be launched, while the player has asked for a personal hearing. McMenamin was charged with infringing Category II ("striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow or knee" or "behaving in any way which is dangerous to an opponent"), which normally carries a four or eight-week ban, but rarely six weeks. "Ryan McMenamin, like any other player, will cross over the line from time-to-time and if he's found guilty of that then he's prepared to take whatever comes his way, provided it is the correct punishment," said Harte. "I have no doubt that that particular sentence will be challenged or appealed." The Tyrone manager has spoken to the Dromore defender about his on-field conduct during last week's National League game against Kerry, but maintained the punishment didn't fit the crime.

Yes, Mickey, you are quite correct. That, as he has proved in the past, is exactly what he is prepared to do.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Zapatista

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: SidelineKick on February 24, 2009, 02:34:40 PM
What does it matter whether or not Galvin was able to play on?

If he's unable to play on he's been injured in a malicious attack, therefore there's malice aforethought -- a basic tenet of culpability in any legal system, sporting or otherwise. And to those that allege 'sexual assault', I put it to you that you've a clue about neither.

* It's back now Zap  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

thebuzz

Quote from: Zapatista on February 23, 2009, 09:16:51 PM
Seen Ricey cup Galvin again and Galvin drop like a sack of spuds. 6 Weeks is outragous. It was a harmless cupping and nothing more than a little bit of messing. Wathced it on the news with non-gaa friends who thought it was harmless and had a good laugh they were calling Ricey a cheeky monkey. The behaviour of the Cork players is doing untold damage to the GAA while Ricey brings a little harmless fun and a welcome distraction. Sort youselves out anyone looking for a ban.

Ricey for President.

My wee lad tapped me in the balls one day and I went down like a sack of spuds. Maybe Galvin and I have the most sensitive privates in Ireland ( I wish I had other things in common with him like being able to play football). My lad had the excuse that he was only 8 and had no sense but Ricey must be 20 years older so he knew exactly what he was doing.

As far as I'm concerned any individual's privates are sacred and should only be 'cupped' by the owner or caressed gently by a member of the fairer sex who has only the owner's pleasure in mind.

Ricey should do his time like a man.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: thebuzz on February 24, 2009, 03:26:49 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on February 23, 2009, 09:16:51 PM
Seen Ricey cup Galvin again and Galvin drop like a sack of spuds. 6 Weeks is outragous. It was a harmless cupping and nothing more than a little bit of messing. Wathced it on the news with non-gaa friends who thought it was harmless and had a good laugh they were calling Ricey a cheeky monkey. The behaviour of the Cork players is doing untold damage to the GAA while Ricey brings a little harmless fun and a welcome distraction. Sort youselves out anyone looking for a ban.

Ricey for President.

My wee lad tapped me in the balls one day and I went down like a sack of spuds. Maybe Galvin and I have the most sensitive privates in Ireland ( I wish I had other things in common with him like being able to play football). My lad had the excuse that he was only 8 and had no sense but Ricey must be 20 years older so he knew exactly what he was doing.

As far as I'm concerned any individual's privates are sacred and should only be 'cupped' by the owner or caressed gently by a member of the fairer sex who has only the owner's pleasure in mind.

Ricey should do his time like a man.
What's the chances of that when MH and TCB are bleating on that 'it's not fair'?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Abble

6 MONTHS wouldn't be enough for him

Zapatista

Quote from: Abble on February 24, 2009, 03:51:52 PM
6 MONTHS wouldn't be enough for him

Was this your reaction when you seen Ziggy post the 6 week ban?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R2V_A3nd_Y

tyroneboi

Wish they would lock this thread now. This topic is getting pretty boring by now! He is getting punished whether its gonna be 6 weeks or whatever. Talk of sexual assault and 6 month bans is pure crap in my opinion!!

Puckoon

What exactly does he say at a hearing? ???

I hardly touched him?
It was just a light squeeze?

Here - you put your nuts out there and Ill show you how gentle I was?

Seriously - whats the precedent for appealing this?

tyrone86

Quote from: Puckoon on February 24, 2009, 04:12:52 PM

:D  :D

orangeman

I hardly touched him?

Wouldn't you love to be a fly in the pants when that is going on ?

SidelineKick

I hardly touched him?

Exactly.  Its a load of balls. The whole thing is driving me nuts.  Anyone who reduces this suspension should get the sack.  This is just the tip of the iceberg, there'll be more c**k-ups like this.  Willie get away with it? Personally I hope he gets it lengthened, would like to see him shafted.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

antigpa

Listen Im pro player and antigpa and I dont think theres any conflict there, Im certainly no fan of Tyrone football either, but I think Mc Menamin has been hung out to dry here.  In fact Im new to this board and if your are going to lynch the players then Ill not be here too long.  But Ill ask the crew on here.  If it was your own family getting this bad publicity what way would you handle it, I played football myself and amongst other things I once broke a mans jaw after I crossed the white line.  It was thuggish and I regretted it but it was certainly worse than Mc Menamens actions.  I apologised after the game and visited the fella in hospital - he had stood on my toes all throughout the game - so he was at it too, but we both crossed the white line and alls fair.  To be honest it was the silliest thing Ive ever seen in my life, a tad funny too particularly the rection from Galvin and I think he has too sullied his hard man reputation - Its maybe the reason why our gaelic games can never be mixed, the men would all be rolling around the ground.  But let the lads play the games, we'll enjoy watching them but leave it out when they stray.  

SidelineKick

Quote from: antigpa on February 24, 2009, 04:35:37 PM
Listen Im pro player and antigpa and I dont think theres any conflict there, Im certainly no fan of Tyrone football either, but I think Mc Menamin has been hung out to dry here.  In fact Im new to this board and if your are going to lynch the players then Ill not be here too long.  But Ill ask the crew on here.  If it was your own family getting this bad publicity what way would you handle it, I played football myself and amongst other things I once broke a mans jaw after I crossed the white line.  It was thuggish and I regretted it but it was certainly worse than Mc Menamens actions.  I apologised after the game and visited the fella in hospital - he had stood on my toes all throughout the game - so he was at it too, but we both crossed the white line and alls fair.  To be honest it was the silliest thing Ive ever seen in my life, a tad funny too particularly the rection from Galvin and I think he has too sullied his hard man reputation.  But let the lads play the games, we'll enjoy watching them but leave it out when they stray.  

I'm sure Galvin isnt on here writing about the incident (although he could be), but as supporters we are allowed obliged to give our opinions on things.  Not too often opinions don't differ! Its a forum for discussion. Some of the comments are a bit too far but everyone (within reason) is entitled to share their opinion.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 24, 2009, 02:00:46 PM
Good man Mickey, what a rock of sense...

Red Hands boss slams 'Ricey' ban
By Brendan Crossan
24/02/2009

MICKEY Harte has slammed the extremity of the six-week ban meted out to Ryan McMenamin – but willingly accepted the defender's behaviour was "not good enough".

Tyrone defender McMenamin (below) has been hit with the ban for grabbing Kerry player Paul Galvin by the privates, for which he will miss four NFL games. Harte yesterday confirmed an appeal would be launched, while the player has asked for a personal hearing. McMenamin was charged with infringing Category II ("striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow or knee" or "behaving in any way which is dangerous to an opponent"), which normally carries a four or eight-week ban, but rarely six weeks. "Ryan McMenamin, like any other player, will cross over the line from time-to-time and if he's found guilty of that then he's prepared to take whatever comes his way, provided it is the correct punishment," said Harte. "I have no doubt that that particular sentence will be challenged or appealed." The Tyrone manager has spoken to the Dromore defender about his on-field conduct during last week's National League game against Kerry, but maintained the punishment didn't fit the crime.

Harte added: "We all agree that it wasn't the proper thing to do and didn't look good. Ryan has acknowledged and recognised that and I have no doubt that he would accept the requisite punishment, but I don't think he should be getting anything more severe than that. "If we're talking about the severity of the incident then there was absolutely no injury to the player; he was able to continue on. "That is, in no way, to condone what he did because it wasn't good enough and Ryan has agreed with that, and he has regrets for what he has done."

The three-time All-Ireland-winning manager also expressed concern with some of the media coverage that followed the incident involving McMenamin and Galvin. In his Sunday Independent column, former Meath player and RTE pundit Colm O'Rourke described McMenamin as a "brat" and labelled him a "disgrace". While not referring directly to O'Rourke's comments, Harte added: "There are a lot of people quick to take the high moral ground and indeed some of them would fall into the category of 'people in glass houses (or used to) shouldn't throw stones'. "I don't think it is for anyone else to make those judgements. There is a code of conduct that we all try to adhere to and when people break that code of conduct there are sanctions – and those sanctions should be appropriate."

Harte did not stipulate what he would regard a fair punishment for McMenamin's indiscretion. If the six-week ban is upheld, the player will miss games against Galway, Westmeath, Donegal and Derry, but is free to play against Mayo on April 12. Harte said: "Until everything is done and dusted, I think everybody else would do well to hold their own counsel and opinion to themselves where it ultimately belongs. "Probably one of the most difficult things in life is to be objective. We're much better in being subjective and I've no doubt that people in the media fall into that same category quite often."

Meanwhile, Harte has been encouraged by Stephen O'Neill's progress from a knee injury sustained against Dublin. The former Allstar attacker will be back within a "four to six-week period" from the date of the injury on January 31.

??? ??? ???
"Stercus accidit"