Tyrone v Kerry NFL Round 2

Started by Kerry Mike, February 01, 2009, 04:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bainisteoir

The thing that really bugged me during the match was the constant goading of opponents from mc menamin, he was always in someones face trying to provoke a reaction, to me he was walking around the pitch as if he was above the laws of our game and untouchable. The incident with Galvin was a trampish action however 6 month bans etc are madness.. The ban issued is more than appropriate. I just find it rich that micky Harte can talk about every other thing in relation to gaa including international rules, maximizing the exposure of teams to HQ etc etc, however he won't Make a stand and block an appeal which would let the player realise that this sort of thuggery has no place in our sport. Personally I also found it ammusing that on the same day the "respect" campaign was launched between Tyrone Gaa and Glentoran Fc!!  

tyssam5

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on February 23, 2009, 07:15:44 PM
Disgraceful decision. This perverted action deserves more than a paltry 6 weeks. Another example of the Northern media defending the indefensible and getting their fella off.

Please post one example of any media outlet (Northern or otherwise) who has defended McMenamin's actions? I you can I will change my avatar to Galvin lifting Sam.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteYou are right.  Look at what the poor Kerry women have to endure a life-time of!

You should be more concerned with Tyrone women, and them playing with bananas while all the menfolk are away cupping each other's gonads.

rrhf

Out of respect for the next opponents of each team this weekend I think this thread should be wound down.  Sheehy you should be strung up.. by yer nads - any man on the internet at that time of the morning has only a partial interest in the GAA board, dont talk to the rest of us about cupping.... 

Final Whistle

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 23, 2009, 11:58:52 PM
Quote from: tyrone86 on February 23, 2009, 11:57:19 PM
Whilst I have no wish to see Ricey suspended, I would like someone from the Tyrone County Board and / or Mickey Harte (whoever decided to appeal the suspension) to tell me where exactly the line is in terms of the accepting suspensions? Is anything that the referee doesn't see / act upon at the time and a post game suspension is imposed fair game for appeal? Is it a case of anything that has a successful chance of appeal will be fought? There comes a point when people have to look at what they're condoning and wise the f**k up.
One Tyronie talking sense anyway  :)

Bit rich from the county who got an appeal revoked due to the mis-spelling (in irish) of a players name.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Final Whistle on February 24, 2009, 08:48:17 AM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 23, 2009, 11:58:52 PM
Quote from: tyrone86 on February 23, 2009, 11:57:19 PM
Whilst I have no wish to see Ricey suspended, I would like someone from the Tyrone County Board and / or Mickey Harte (whoever decided to appeal the suspension) to tell me where exactly the line is in terms of the accepting suspensions? Is anything that the referee doesn't see / act upon at the time and a post game suspension is imposed fair game for appeal? Is it a case of anything that has a successful chance of appeal will be fought? There comes a point when people have to look at what they're condoning and wise the f**k up.
One Tyronie talking sense anyway  :)

Bit rich from the county who got an appeal revoked due to the mis-spelling (in irish) of a players name.
What are you on about?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

BennyHarp

I dont feel that Ricey should have recieved a 6 week ban, but it raises bigger issues! Are the GAA going to consistently impose retrospective bans throughout the league, if so does it mean that bigger teams, whose games tend to be on more regularly have a bigger chance of facing suspensions ( i appreciate this is being discussed on another thread - sorry!)! Also, when are the GAA going to introduce a system where a person gets banned for a specific number of games in the competition in which the offense occured! It seems silly to me (regardless of my personal views on the ban) that a 6 week band means 4 games will be missed and a 4 week ban will mean only 1 game! Not very consistant i reckon!
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Tis a bit of childish nonsense in February from Ricey and The Galvinator, 2 binlids but sure they are allowed a bit of craic/ messin/skelpin in February.;  Both men should have been yellow carded. One man for the wind up and one for the fall down.
Will it have any bearing on later in the year?  I feel not, Last I heard Galvins high pitch voice had already returned to normal. 
It wont affect the championship but it will  probably cost Tyrone their shot at the national league though which to me looks set to be a Derry Kerry final.  The real league shadowboxing will take place this weekend in Bellaghy.  I hope the cameras stay on the ball.       

peterquaife

Not a bit surprised with the appeal, typical. Take yer oil and move the f**k on

SidelineKick

Quote from: rrhf on February 24, 2009, 11:02:15 AM
Tis a bit of childish nonsense in February from Ricey and The Galvinator, 2 binlids but sure they are allowed a bit of craic/ messin/skelpin in February.;  Both men should have been yellow carded. One man for the wind up and one for the fall down.
Will it have any bearing on later in the year?  I feel not, Last I heard Galvins high pitch voice had already returned to normal. 
It wont affect the championship but it will  probably cost Tyrone their shot at the national league though which to me looks set to be a Derry Kerry final.  The real league shadowboxing will take place this weekend in Bellaghy.  I hope the cameras stay on the ball.       

::) have you never been hit in the balls? How did Galvin deserve a yellow card?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Tim Buzaglo

Quote from: rrhf on February 24, 2009, 07:39:36 AM
Out of respect for the next opponents of each team this weekend I think this thread should be wound down.  Sheehy you should be strung up.. by yer nads - any man on the internet at that time of the morning has only a partial interest in the GAA board, dont talk to the rest of us about cupping.... 

You, sir, are full of shite!
Will we ever see another one?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Good man Mickey, what a rock of sense...

Red Hands boss slams 'Ricey' ban
By Brendan Crossan
24/02/2009

MICKEY Harte has slammed the extremity of the six-week ban meted out to Ryan McMenamin – but willingly accepted the defender's behaviour was "not good enough".

Tyrone defender McMenamin (below) has been hit with the ban for grabbing Kerry player Paul Galvin by the privates, for which he will miss four NFL games. Harte yesterday confirmed an appeal would be launched, while the player has asked for a personal hearing. McMenamin was charged with infringing Category II ("striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow or knee" or "behaving in any way which is dangerous to an opponent"), which normally carries a four or eight-week ban, but rarely six weeks. "Ryan McMenamin, like any other player, will cross over the line from time-to-time and if he's found guilty of that then he's prepared to take whatever comes his way, provided it is the correct punishment," said Harte. "I have no doubt that that particular sentence will be challenged or appealed." The Tyrone manager has spoken to the Dromore defender about his on-field conduct during last week's National League game against Kerry, but maintained the punishment didn't fit the crime.

Harte added: "We all agree that it wasn't the proper thing to do and didn't look good. Ryan has acknowledged and recognised that and I have no doubt that he would accept the requisite punishment, but I don't think he should be getting anything more severe than that. "If we're talking about the severity of the incident then there was absolutely no injury to the player; he was able to continue on. "That is, in no way, to condone what he did because it wasn't good enough and Ryan has agreed with that, and he has regrets for what he has done."

The three-time All-Ireland-winning manager also expressed concern with some of the media coverage that followed the incident involving McMenamin and Galvin. In his Sunday Independent column, former Meath player and RTE pundit Colm O'Rourke described McMenamin as a "brat" and labelled him a "disgrace". While not referring directly to O'Rourke's comments, Harte added: "There are a lot of people quick to take the high moral ground and indeed some of them would fall into the category of 'people in glass houses (or used to) shouldn't throw stones'. "I don't think it is for anyone else to make those judgements. There is a code of conduct that we all try to adhere to and when people break that code of conduct there are sanctions – and those sanctions should be appropriate."

Harte did not stipulate what he would regard a fair punishment for McMenamin's indiscretion. If the six-week ban is upheld, the player will miss games against Galway, Westmeath, Donegal and Derry, but is free to play against Mayo on April 12. Harte said: "Until everything is done and dusted, I think everybody else would do well to hold their own counsel and opinion to themselves where it ultimately belongs. "Probably one of the most difficult things in life is to be objective. We're much better in being subjective and I've no doubt that people in the media fall into that same category quite often."

Meanwhile, Harte has been encouraged by Stephen O'Neill's progress from a knee injury sustained against Dublin. The former Allstar attacker will be back within a "four to six-week period" from the date of the injury on January 31.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

SidelineKick

What does it matter whether or not Galvin was able to play on?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.