Sligo - the Division Four thread, farewell, it's been nice knowing you....

Started by Owenmoresider, January 28, 2009, 01:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

A win in Clare at any time is satisfactory. Its wins like this that will be forgotten if we get promoted but they're just as vital. Top of the table with one of our main promotion challengers coming visiting.

baoithe

I listened to this online and from the commentary it sounded like Sligo were lording it at midfield. They built up a decent lead in the first half only to be pulled back by what sounded like some very porous defending. It sounded like Clare could have goaled at will with our full backs being skinned.

The second half started well against the breeze and from recollection I think Sligo went 3 points up. Clare then had their purple patch and going into the last 10 minutes there was a point in it, in favour of Clare. Sligo then seemed to be winning alot of possession again in midfield but were wasting it time and again. The ref appeared to be dodgy but then so was the commentator so its hard to tell. Credit where it's due though, Sligo held the heads and got the winner towards the end.

Looking ahead to next week and judging solely on the radio commentary it seemed like midfield is functioning well. Any time I've watched Sligo play Clare we always struggled against their big men. The forward unit definitely sounds more lively too. Pat Naughton started at CB so McNamara's days might be numbered there. As Seanie said above McNamara should be in the team but not in a pivotal position such as CB. I'm not sure that's Naughton's position either but he should be given time to claim it.

In any event, Sunday will be the best indicator of where Sligo are in terms of promotion. Its a must win and hopefully the extra game we have played over Leitrim might give us a bit of an edge. As OMS said its a pity we couldnt bring games like this out to Easkey. Although on reflection, O'Hara might get more stick than anyone.

southsidejohnny

Love the bit where ye want mayomen only if they are playing. I presume Alan Costelloe fits the bill. No danger ye will ever get a sligo man to manage either, one in the last two hundred years is it? Best of luck in the tommy murphy once more.

magpie seanie

Quote from: southsidejohnny on February 09, 2009, 11:23:29 AM
Love the bit where ye want mayomen only if they are playing. I presume Alan Costelloe fits the bill. No danger ye will ever get a sligo man to manage either, one in the last two hundred years is it? Best of luck in the tommy murphy once more.

A few things obviously going over someone's head there (along with the glaring factual inaccuracies). Computers in schools seemed like such a good idea....

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 08, 2009, 05:36:06 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 08, 2009, 12:09:02 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 06, 2009, 11:40:43 AM
Re: Sligo - the Division Four thread (Mayomen only welcome if you're playing!)

I'll give full-forward a go if yer stuck . . .
FF would be useful, but how would you fare at CHB? That's our problem position at the minute. Compared to the 15 problems ye seem to have. ;)

Ah you're off the mark there, Barry Moran is flying :D
And as for centre-half back my first and last time playing there I got taken for 3-5 by 'my man'.

Was it against the ladies?
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2009, 07:18:41 PM

FF would be useful, but how would you fare at CHB? That's our problem position at the minute. Compared to the 15 problems ye seem to have. ;)

And as for centre-half back my first and last time playing there I got taken for 3-5 by 'my man'.

No, more a reference to how loose I was that it would be hard to call him 'my man'. Have a couple of nightmares from playing against women at under 12 too though - lost a west final to a Tourmak team with three very refined ladies most certainly not of the mucksavage variety in central positions. :o  ;)
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 09, 2009, 07:23:52 PM

No, more a reference to how loose I was that it would be hard to call him 'my man'. Have a couple of nightmares from playing against women at under 12 too though - lost a west final to a Tourmak team with three women in central positions. :o

Careful with that sort of talk, the mods are in a bannin' mood.
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2009, 07:26:37 PM

No, more a reference to how loose I was that it would be hard to call him 'my man'. Have a couple of nightmares from playing against women at under 12 too though - lost a west final to a Tourmak team with three women in central positions. :o

Careful with that sort of talk, the mods are in a bannin' mood.

Noted and edited accordingly
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Owenmoresider

No, more a reference to how loose I was that it would be hard to call him 'my man'. Have a couple of nightmares from playing against women at under 12 too though - lost a west final to a Tourmak team with three very refined ladies most certainly not of the mucksavage variety in central positions. :o  ;)
Don't feel too bad - I got taken to the cleaners at CHB* once by an AI-winning girl in an U12 game (the oppostion in question would be fairly obvious to most here, they had a few of them on). Game was drawn, as was the replay, they objected to us on some technicality, we objected to them playing girls, and we won the replay. :D

* - there you go, it's a bugger of a position.

BigJohnBrowne

Well Lads and Lassies,
time to have a look at the game on Sunday, 
Leitrims team is announced and remains largely unchanged, 

Any word on Sligo ?

baoithe

Quote from: BigJohnBrowne on February 12, 2009, 10:10:49 PM
Well Lads and Lassies,
time to have a look at the game on Sunday, 
Leitrims team is announced and remains largely unchanged, 

Any word on Sligo ?

I didn't realise McKeown and Maxwell are from the same club - a fine pair of footballers. Wasn't that club intermediate up until last year? Would it be unusual not to have a player from St Mary's on the team? Last question: I see McCloskey (the lad based in London?) is missing - is he a loss?

As for us, well I dont think we'll have it as easy in midfield this weekend. Whatever about Leitrim's 8 and 9 I see Duignan is at CB and Maxwell at CF. I suspect Naughton will start on Maxwell - we're donald ducked if McNamara is put on him. Apart from that by all accounts the forwards did fine in Clare and hopefully the normally reasonably reliable full back line will have sorted out whatever was ailing them the last day.

BigJohnBrowne

Quote from: baoithe on February 13, 2009, 09:27:15 AM
I didn't realise McKeown and Maxwell are from the same club - a fine pair of footballers. Wasn't that club intermediate up until last year? Would it be unusual not to have a player from St Mary's on the team? Last question: I see McCloskey (the lad based in London?) is missing - is he a loss?

Yep, both from Drumreilly,  and are our main men at both ends of the field.  Unfortunately McCloskey is away and I fear for that area of the field, both of the other men are relative novices in county level.  Suspect that Maxwell will operate in FF so his opponent will be busy !.

This will be a cracker and so early in the year !.  Only other chance to meet will be in the Connacht Final and that's unlikely as Sligo won't be there !

If Leitrim win then they will have played half of their away games and still have all of the home ones to come.  Is much of a crowd expected in Sligeach ?

45GoneShort

Quote from: baoithe on February 13, 2009, 09:27:15 AM
Quote from: BigJohnBrowne on February 12, 2009, 10:10:49 PM

As for us, well I dont think we'll have it as easy in midfield this weekend. Whatever about Leitrim's 8 and 9 I see Duignan is at CB and Maxwell at CF. I suspect Naughton will start on Maxwell - we're donald ducked if McNamara is put on him. Apart from that by all accounts the forwards did fine in Clare and hopefully the normally reasonably reliable full back line will have sorted out whatever was ailing them the last day.

Yes, both lads are from same club Drumreilly but don't let that fool you - they are still Intermediate - but as club are a law onto themselves as far as discipline goes and while they have 10 or 12 good players this is where is stops for them as they lack any really depth in their team.

McCloskey is no real loss - in fact i'm delighted to see Guckian getting a chance but still a bit peeved as to why Gallagher from Mohill doesn't even make panel.  Should be interesting match with Duignan and probably O'Hara on each other there should be fireworks!!

As for our defense we should be okay bar the fact Duignan is more comfortable at midfield or CHF and O'Flynn is in ahead of Foley which makes no real sense.

SLIGONIAN

I went to college with Duignan and Doonan and would of known maxwell, All sound lads and like to see them do well except against us.

Looking forward to listening on the radio. Should be a cracker. Hate playing Leitrim though. With the extra game and home advantage I feel that will pull us through. We need to match there workrate as in the past I feel that let us down. Walsh will see that, that will happen. Hope the Sligo public will get out on Sunday and roar on the lads.

On the team front, Ohara got a injury against KK so dont know about him, hopefully be back, brehonys injured aswell , egans away and donovans just back from the states and I dont know if hes back in the panel yet. Wont be far away from the Clare line up id say.

Sligeach abu.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"