Sligo - the Division Four thread, farewell, it's been nice knowing you....

Started by Owenmoresider, January 28, 2009, 01:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on January 30, 2009, 10:39:32 AM
Enda Devenney transferred to St. Johns

Holy fcuk. He'll be in with Sligo I'd say as well! If he wants to that is. Jesus when you think that Kenny Golden has been travelling from Belfast for years to play with Ballina and Enda packs it in because he's only in Sligo. Doesn't reflect very well imho
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 30, 2009, 10:36:04 AM
Costello is only 24 this year. If he can get in shape he'll be a serious asset to ye and good luck to him. I won't begrudge him his chance with ye. Unlike you're persistant rants about Parsons

I always meant physically although i thought late 20s age wise i will admit, seen him last yr even with the a few extra pounds look sharp and intense on the ball and would add to our forward line for sure.

So your the better man sniper are you, for not begrudging costello or us ::). The thing that pisses me most off about yee is yee have 50+ clubs nearly 2 times the amount of players to chose from but that not enough for yee. Theres no need to be taking Bellaghy and it will never be right. In Costellos case we didnt go across any border which is completely different to Parsons fact.

Have heard the name Enda Devenney, but thats about it. If hes any good hed be more than welcome ;).
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 30, 2009, 11:17:34 AM

So your the better man sniper are you, for not begrudging costello or us

Well I'd never say such a thing. Modesty would forbid me but if you're throwing out the compliment Sligonian, then thanks ;D

Have heard the name Enda Devenney, but thats about it. If hes any good hed be more than welcome ;).

He played wing-back for Mayo when we got hammered by Galway in 2007. Was just back after a lot of knee injuries. He had been the main man for Ballina en route to the All-Ireland club final success in 2005 before doing his knee a few weeks before the final. He still came on in that game (to the forwards, he had been playing wing-back prior to that) even though he was no where near right enough. Very talented player but he'd be fairly relaxed about his football

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 30, 2009, 11:54:47 AM

So your the better man sniper are you, for not begrudging costello or us

Well I'd never say such a thing. Modesty would forbid me but if you're throwing out the compliment Sligonian, then thanks ;D

He played wing-back for Mayo when we got hammered by Galway in 2007. Was just back after a lot of knee injuries. He had been the main man for Ballina en route to the All-Ireland club final success in 2005 before doing his knee a few weeks before the final. He still came on in that game (to the forwards, he had been playing wing-back prior to that) even though he was no where near right enough. Very talented player but he'd be fairly relaxed about his football

St Johns will suit him so.

Your most welcome for the compliment, it was probably the most sincere one ive ever given anyone.

I forgot to say, I cant believe this thread got so many replies, thanks to the Mayolads i guess, ironically i havent even thought about looking in the mayo derry thread but i guess its a compliment to Sligo Football that the mayo lads have such an interest in us.

Owenmoresider

Didn'y get back to this til now, busy organising a dinnerdance don't you know. ::) Well wasn't a lot to report on this one, at least we got some boost to the scoring difference eventually, but we were making hard work of it in the first half. Kilkenny faded as the game wore on, were not doing too badly when they did get the ball into the forwards, but their backs got cut open on numerous occasions, unfortunately we insisted on giving shite ball in too many times (guess who gave them the most?). Kicked some terrible wides in the second half too, hopefully we won't regret those later on. Marren and McTernan did reasonably well in the forwards, though McTernan kicked two bad frees late on. Sweeney still doesn't seem to be able to start well, Raymond isn't looking like he's the answer to our FF problems, and O'Hara is still my choice there, he wasn't really in it on Sunday and went off at HT. The Mayoman came in and did well, didn't think he had got 3-4 points but seems he did, sent in good ball too. Will be a good addition as time goes on. Midfield will face tougher tests, Mullen caught a few decent balls and did fine, but I'd still be concerned about how he'd fare against better opposition, not least Bergin or Cullinane. Davey was his usual self. Taylor did much better when introduced. The backs weren't tested too often, but McNamara isn't doing any better at CHB and McGovern is still looking vulnerable to getting a runaround. Neil Ewing came in for his first run but didn't have much to do.

Might as well make this the league thread, since only Antrim will have the posters to generate a match-specific thread.

Cooraclare is our destination on Saturday. Can't see too many going really, it's somewhere out west Clare, bit like us playing in Enniscrone I suppose. Hard to know what Clare will be like, but they did win a tricky tie in Carlow, and seem to have more on board this time (the KIB crew back according to the Weekender). A win here would set us up nicely for the old enemy after that.

SLIGONIAN

Clare will be tough, If they play McNamara and raymond we will lose simple as that. Too many weak links on that team, Mcgoverns form is a worry too. Midfield will be tested this weekend. Phillips at corner back worries me, he has to be moved to CHB. McNamara maybe to mcgoverns postion and see how that goes. Hows OHARAS injury and when will breheny be back?

I heard Ross Donovan is back aswell. Good News.

baoithe

I suppose there's not alot of comment to make on this Clare game - we don't know much about them and we wouldn't have learned anything from last week.

Has been a hoor of an away game for us in the past so I'm not expecting an easy ride nor indeed am I overly hopeful of a positive result. Obviously our main worries lie around the central diamond.

What else to say? Not alot. We'll know more Saturday evening.

RedandGreenSniper

Re: Sligo - the Division Four thread (Mayomen only welcome if you're playing!)

I'll give full-forward a go if yer stuck . . .

magpie seanie

A win tomorrow of any sort would mean we are in business. I suspect we will just about get it though will admit I've very little to base that on. Knowing Walsh will demand a win is probably what's swinging it for me. Big worries about the central diamond as Baoithe has said and that is an area Clare have hurt us in before. If we get enough possession in the right hands I think we will win.

Really think someone else needs to be tried at chb. McNamara would be in my team but not in that position. Phillips is the obvious choice I suppose. He will do ok in the corner this time of year though. Was the team named?

SLIGONIAN

Clare 2-9 Sligo 1-13 FT, delighted a great result, a ghost laid to rest so to speak, so many heartbreaking defeats in Clare over the yrs. Sligo team was Greene,harrison,mcguire,phillips,mcgovern,nuaghton,mcnamara,mullen,taylor,mctiernan,costello,gaughan,marren,raymong,S davey. Not sure what postions the lads played. Good start going into the Leitrim game, if leitrim win tomorrow there will be a big crowd in Markievicz next sunday. Should be a cracker.

Antrim beat KK 4-27 to 0-5 which is 9pts better than us...for scoring difference isnt good news for us. Waterford getting a draw out of Wicklow was good to hear. The deise footballers arent as bad as people think, seen them 2 yrs ago against us and we had to work our arses off to put them away albeit we were down for 14 men for a long time and dont talk about our darkest day trip to the south coast.

Owenmoresider

Sub: 44 mins Gary Gaughan for Sean Davey
          48 Mins David Kelly for Keith Raymond
          51 Mins Johnny Davey for Pat Naughton

First half scorers: Adrian Marren 1-2,Alan Costello 0-2, Sean Davey 0-2,Dermot McTiernan 0-1, Michael McNamara 0-1.

Sligo Team lined out as follows:

1 Philip Greene
2 Charlie Harrison (Capt)
3 Noel McGuire
4 Brendan Phillips
6 Michael McNamara
19 Pat Naughton
18 Barry Kivlehan
8 Eugene Mullen
20 Tony Taylor
13 Dermot McTiernan
22 Alan Costello
12 Kenneth Sweeney
14 Keith Raymond
9 Sean Davey
15 Adrian Marren

Didn't sound great from the radio commentary in the second half, but a win's a win, especially when you're out in such venues (we really should take some team down to Easkey, that'll test them). Good to get the points, especially with Wicklow dropping points today. Waterford might be troublesome but in fairness we should be able for them, the Lemybrien debacle did us a favour when you think about it. Leitrim next up, if that skip is still hanging about at the Park, Morrison can use that to 'motivate' their players.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 06, 2009, 11:40:43 AM

FF would be useful, but how would you fare at CHB? That's our problem position at the minute. Compared to the 15 problems ye seem to have. ;)

BigJohnBrowne

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 08, 2009, 12:07:36 AM
Morrison can use that to 'motivate' their players.

I've no doubt Morrison will be more than happy to put Sligo in the skip for the second time in 4 weeks  ;)
Liatroim AbĂș

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 08, 2009, 12:09:02 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 06, 2009, 11:40:43 AM

FF would be useful, but how would you fare at CHB? That's our problem position at the minute. Compared to the 15 problems ye seem to have. ;)

Ah you're off the mark there, Barry Moran is flying :D
And as for centre-half back my first and last time playing there I got taken for 3-5 by 'my man'.