Sligo - the Division Four thread, farewell, it's been nice knowing you....

Started by Owenmoresider, January 28, 2009, 01:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

magpie, i ve seen mayo playing league games and even in bad weather the time given to any man on the ball is minimal. Lads are fighting for jerseys in the league.

baoithe

Mannix what's your point? Two posts ago you implied that players playing against the likes of Kilkenny and Waterford get more time on the ball. Fair enough.
Then on the same issue of time on the ball, your last post seems to discard any correllation between the divisional status of a team with the amount of time on the ball players therein might enjoy. Instead you place emphasis on the desire of players fighting for their place as correllating with time and space players find themselves in.

Which is it? Both? Or maybe you're just talking shite as usual?

As a general rule (and there is an obvious exception) threads involving Sligo football are contributed to by people who have a genuine interest in debating the issues at hand and also by people that put a bit of thought into their analyses. If all you're interested in is rising a schoolground slagging match then you're best placed to move along and try elsewhere.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 28, 2009, 01:08:36 AM
Sligonian: Care to notice that something, erm, isn't quite right about the panel?

Alan Costello

Mayo lads- fill yer boots.

Yes Vincent Neary is about to torture us again, just as well it's against Kilkenny then.

Ye robbing bastards!! Taking a Mayo man, such hypocrits! And the likes of Sligonian going mad about Parsons playing with Mayo even though he has always played in Mayo!  :D

On the Vincent Neary issue I've never seen him referee a Sligo game but I've seen him referee an awful lot at club level in Mayo and yer comments do surprise me. I've always found Vinny to be extremely fair and willing to talk to the players and explain his decisions, not to lecture like a lot of plebs do. I've seen him make mistakes and I'm not sure if he is inter-county standard but I'm amazed that there is a question over his impartiality - he always struck me as a real stand up guy
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

baoithe

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 29, 2009, 04:11:50 PM
Sligonian: Care to notice that something, erm, isn't quite right about the panel?

Alan Costello

Yes Vincent Neary is about to torture us again, just as well it's against Kilkenny then.

Ye robbing b**tards!! Taking a Mayo man, such hypocrits! And the likes of Sligonian going mad about Parsons playing with Mayo even though he has always played in Mayo!  :D

On the Vincent Neary issue I've never seen him referee a Sligo game but I've seen him referee an awful lot at club level in Mayo and yer comments do surprise me. I've always found Vinny to be extremely fair and willing to talk to the players and explain his decisions, not to lecture like a lot of plebs do. I've seen him make mistakes and I'm not sure if he is inter-county standard but I'm amazed that there is a question over his impartiality - he always struck me as a real stand up guy

To be fair, I have heard he is a good ref in Mayo but I'm afraid that any game involving a Sligo team that I've seen him ref he has been a disaster. That said, I guess it could all be mere coincidence. Its still disheartening to see him named as ref though.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: baoithe on January 29, 2009, 04:20:18 PM

Alan Costello

Ye robbing b**tards!! Taking a Mayo man, such hypocrits! And the likes of Sligonian going mad about Parsons playing with Mayo even though he has always played in Mayo!  :D

To be fair, I have heard he is a good ref in Mayo but I'm afraid that any game involving a Sligo team that I've seen him ref he has been a disaster. That said, I guess it could all be mere coincidence. Its still disheartening to see him named as ref though.

Disaster as in bad or do ye feel he has been very biased against Sligo?

baoithe

I think that he is generally perceived to be none too fair to players in the black and white.

mannix

baoithe,
your attack on my post would be acceptable if I could understand what you are saying in it. LET ME SAY IT REEEAALLY SSLLOOWW SO YOU UNDERSTAND. I was pointing out that neither kk or waterford are in the same world as galway and co for speed in any weather.Thats it, read it a few times and then maybe you will get it, and about fighting for jerseys in the top counties players are trying to make a name for themselves during the league so as the championship jersey might come their way too.
If you cannot understand that then theres no point getting smart with me, just get a grown up  to explain.

baoithe

Mannix, come clean - you've been on the wind up from the minute you came into this thread:
best of luck against kk, will there be a dinnerdancew if ye win?

Nonetheless, apologies if you couldnt understand what I was saying. I'll make it much clearer and simpler next time.

So as I said, yes you are suggesting that in the higher divisions players would find less space on the ball. And as I said - fair enough.

But are you also implying that players in the top counties work harder during the league for a place in the championship than players in the division four counties?
Quote...and about fighting for jerseys in the top counties players are trying to make a name for themselves during the league so as the championship jersey might come their way too

If you are suggesting this, I'm sorry, but you are talking shite.

mannix

Baoithe,
yes I was winding a little.Is this not allowed or do you take it too seriously. I cannot say much more about time on the ball versus kilkenny except that if you ask eamon ohara on sunday he will tell you what I am trying to. The jersey thing is something like this, 12 forwards, 6 jerseys, the league as a place to try and get one to pull on for the summer, I imagine its similar in waterford but less pressure on players of football there, in Clare they don't even want the jersey but thats another days work. Sligo lads were cocky enough after they won connaught so this division four thing is stinging badly I assume.
baoithe i see you are ratty so I leave you the last word.

baoithe

Jesus I knew I'd regret getting into this.

For the love of God I understand the concept of "fighting for the jersey". Haha!
I just dont agree that players in the less successful counties fight for it less than those in the top counties.

We'll have agree to disagree.

SLIGONIAN

Would be hopeful of a similar sized thread as the Mayo/Derry or Dubs/Tyrone threads on this one, well never mind....

Need to get off to a good start, so a comfortable win and a good display by the forwards would be ideal. Word is encouraging about the new regime, not what I'd expected. Still it's only January so a long way to go before we can judge them better. The trips to Clare, Antrim and Wicklow will be real tests of the team's character, and we'd need to win two of those probably, provided the Germans' border raid doesn't come off.

Team is named for Sunday. Sligonian: Care to notice that something, erm, isn't quite right about the panel?

The Sligo Manager Kevin Walsh has named his team which will line out against Kilkenny in Markievicz Park on this Sunday February 1st throw in at 2-30pm The First Round of the National League Division 4

Phillip Greene

Charlie Harrison (Capt)            Noel McGuire                       Brendan Phillips
St John's                                    Easkey                                      Eastern Harps

Jonathan Davey                        Michael McNamara                    Paul McGovern   
St Mary's                                    St John's                                 Eastern Harps                                                                             
                         Eugene Mullen                                Sean Davey
                           Easkey                                              Curry

Gary Gaughan                          Eamon O'Hara                        Kenneth Sweeney
Tourlestrane                              Tourlestrane                                Geevagh

Dermot McTiernan                    Keith Raymond                     Adrian Marren
Ballymote                                   Calry/St Joseph's                             Curry

SUBS
Jason Farrell
Neil Ewing
Barry Kivelhan
Pat Naughton
Tony Taylor
Stephen Gilmartin
Alan Costello
Shane Stenson
David Kelly

And Farrell gets dropped after being in goals for the FBD games. Another Spring of Greene howlers awaits I guess. A few questionable selections, such as the ongoing problems at CHB and midfield (though we're not blessed with many options available to us, Taylor will be in early methinks). Raymond didn't convince against Galway but he gets another shot at it anyway. Anyone offering a spread on how long O'Hara survives until his inevitable yellow card? Having just seen who's got our game, I'll call it for 0-10, and we'll probably finish up with 12-13. Yes Vincent Neary is about to torture us again, just as well it's against Kilkenny then.

I think sweeney in the half forward line could be a coup, might just settle there, he scored 0-3 for the IT from there the last day. Time for consistency though. Ohara at CHF is good aswell, not able for midfield anymore. Gary Gaughans form i  hear has been impressive, i think hes u21 aswell again this yr so hope he keeps it up. Happy enough with half forward line and the 2 inside corner forwards.

Raymond if he doesnt show well against KK is there much point persisting so he has to have a big game, but then again hed have to do it against clare aswell for me to get anyways convinced by him judging from what ive heard so far.

Disapponted mcgee didnt get a call up and cant really understand, maybe he declined like wilson.

Midfield is a lottery, Havnt seen much of Mullen but Ive heard him and Davey have done ok so far, Taylor was poor i heard but id expect him to hit form somewhere in the course of NFL and maybe partner one of the other 2 in form. No doubt we look weak there though.

Full back line is ok, for Philliips isnt a corner back, he is a half back, and no matter how many times they try him there he will always be better at HB. I presuming Donovan is away for the yr?

McNamara as everyone KNOWS in the county except the genuises that manage Sligo football WILL never be a CHB IMO, its been tryed a 100 times and 3 or 4 good games tops. He played well as a wing back the last days because it doesnt expose his reading of the game or positional sense which is atrocious. Looks like last yr we are going to have to learn the hard way AGAIN and lose many valuable league points for the the management to cop on to it.

I think we are weak in the spine of our team, CHB, MID and FF, can we afford that sort of weakness NO, it will cost us, i dont think that team would beat Clare or Leitrim to be honest, should have enough against KK.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Alan Costello

Big difference is Parsons never lived in Mayo, as far as i know costello lives and works in Sligo now, We are taking a man who isnt exactly in his prime but showed well in last yrs club championship. I didnt think he could be turned though but well done to those involved, could be a coup.

And the other point of a county stealing our players even though ye have 50+ clubs to our 26 should be leaving us alone, and damn right with our small pick we should try to maximise our potential but not at the expense of others like yer DOING..

Next hopefully Parsons wil be turned from the dark side ;). Nothings IMPOSSIBLE.

magpie seanie

QuoteWe are taking a man who isnt exactly in his prime

Yeah, he won't hit that for a couple of years yet.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 30, 2009, 09:51:02 AM
QuoteWe are taking a man who isnt exactly in his prime

Yeah, he won't hit that for a couple of years yet.

Yeah I hope your right ;). Good news i have to say. His experience and intensity will be a serious asset. Good luck to him, he knows where the posts are no doubt aswell.

Actually FF could be his calling card come to think of it, Breheny to comeback and hopefully donovan, egan aswell might rattle a few cages come the summer.

RedandGreenSniper

Costello is only 24 this year. If he can get in shape he'll be a serious asset to ye and good luck to him. I won't begrudge him his chance with ye. Unlike you're persistant rants about Parsons