Late Late Show - GAA Special

Started by stephenite, January 08, 2009, 02:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Apparently there will be a late late show GAA Special for the 125 celebrations, if any kind soul with the appropriate technology would be willing to record this and post a DVD I'd be eternally grateful and pay for any p&p

GrandMasterFlash

Any idea when said show is on?

Thanks.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

donelli

Quote from: stephenite on January 08, 2009, 02:16:54 AM
Apparently there will be a late late show GAA Special for the 125 celebrations, if any kind soul with the appropriate technology would be willing to record this and post a DVD I'd be eternally grateful and pay for any p&p

pm sent

The GAA

Why do i always feel disconnected when watching these types of show? unlike the tg4 profiles of greats of our games, when i feel i nearly know the men and certainly their clubs could be my own.

Fuzzman

I see its on the website worldwide as well

Bud Wiser

Is it going to be a GAA Special or a GPA Special  ?  I expect the Killiney boy will not be afraid to ask some awkward questions of our Nicholas?

I can see it all coming... like:

Killiney Boy: This is the 125th year in the history of the GAA, it has come a long way since its foundation in terms of players rights Nicky, do you think this is down to the GAA or the GPA ?
Nickey Brennan  Well Pat, as you know the Congress is coming up and it would be wrong for me to comment on it now.

KB  Do you think the players are better looked after now than they were say back fifty or sixty years ago when they played with the corked studs and in flour bags where as now they go on two hundred thousand euro holiday packages at the end of the year.
Nickey Brennan  Well Pat, as you know the Congress is coming up and it would be wrong for me to comment on it now.

KB  We are joined by Henry Shefflin, a county man of your own Nicky, Henry, can I ask you about the relationship between say the Cats as ye are called and the GPA and do you accept that the GAA are moving away from the 'amateur' status to being a more professional organizeation?
HS Well Pat we play as a team, our concentration and focus is on winning All-Irelands and keeping our arses a safe distance from Mr Cody's bacon slicer.

KB But Nicky, you must agree that even some of the players, from even Kilkenny, where the GAA is sacrasanct, are members of the GPA, or the Gaelic Professional Association and they can be seen hurling in the middle of a lake in up to six foot of water while slugging out of a bottle of Engineoiler and I am suggesting that no hurler would want to play under these conditions and I am just asking is this done on a private basis or for the players as a group under the auspices of the Gaelic Professional Association or the GPA as they are called?
NB  Well Pat, I understand there is a motion coming before Congress from a club in Finglas about players being recognized and their rights as regards payments and grants and advertising and so forth so as it is going to be on the Clar I will not discuss this now.

KB   We are now joined by Mr. Dessie Farrell, take a seat there Dessie....
at which time a good solid leather shoe, just like at the Bush Press Conference, comes flying out of the crowd in the direction of Farrells head.

Late Late show abandoned, all over papers next day, gaa ruined as a result, picture of Mickey Harte standing at a bus stop wearing one shoe all over front pages etc, etc.

Yes folks, this is going to be one good show that will rightfully reflect on the GAA for what it is, the provider of one of the worlds greatest community sports, the greatest games and it wil tell how the GAA is the very fabric of all that is good in Irish Society and how it has helped not just our national community to integrate and prosper through the community spirit and social life it has built up throughout the world - or - it will become a soap box for the GPA.

The man in the coat and cap is Lory Meaghar and the goalkeeper is Jim Dermody and the pic was taken in the 1940's and I just robbed it from the GAA Website.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

The GAA

Strange that you have become paranoid about the GPA bud

Bud Wiser

I haven't become, I always have been.

And when I see, and did see and talk to some of the old boys who were mentors of junior and juvenile teams for years being forgotten about and nobody else coming through behind them and hurling being the poor relation in most every town and village in the country outside of Kilkenny and Tipp because football and paid managers as well as paid players is more lucrative and a bigger attraction I get even more paranoid.  But that is for another days discussion, all I am saying is that if the Late Late Show wants to give the GAA an accolade by way of a Special on the GAA then that is what it should be, a special on the GAA and the GPA should have no part of it.

I am not saying that Dessie Farrell should have no part of it, or indeed that Mickey Harte should throw a shoe at him, but if he is on it he should be there to reflect on his achievements as a Dublin footballer and not as a rep for the GPA.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

An Gaeilgoir

TG4 are doing a documentary series on the gaa over the next few weeks on Sunday afternoons with repeats Friday night, should put RTE in the ha'penny place as usual.

corn02

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on January 08, 2009, 12:58:13 PM
TG4 are doing a documentary series on the gaa over the next few weeks on Sunday afternoons with repeats Friday night, should put RTE in the ha'penny place as usual.

Indeed, credit where it is due.

Bud Wiser

Aint it fierce hard to get a row going these days?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 08, 2009, 01:24:30 PM

Aint it fierce hard to get a row going these days?

Go into Fitzpatricks Bar in Ballyragget some night and slag off a Kilkenny hurler,Usually works  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bud Wiser

Yeah, or report a fish kill on the Erkina and the guy from the council rings me up to ask 'what was I doing on the river at this time of year in the first place?' As if..

Another one that used to work for us was asking the Durrow boys that did they think by wearing Black & Amber jerseys they actually thought they were in Kilkenny, used to drive the Sheppards, Scott and Paddy Flynn mad.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 08, 2009, 01:39:08 PM
Yeah, or report a fish kill on the Erkina and the guy from the council rings me up to ask 'what was I doing on the river at this time of year in the first place?' As if..

Another one that used to work for us was asking the Durrow boys that did they think by wearing Black & Amber jerseys they actually thought they were in Kilkenny, used to drive the Sheppards, Scott and Paddy Flynn mad.

Ah the auld black and amber Durrow jersey,that brings back a few memories,I still have a few them old jersey's  my Uncles wore in the attic at home,My Ma use to wash them for the team back in the late 70's,In fairness it was better than the red and yellow monstrosity they wear now.
You'll Never Walk Alone.