Wedding Receptions?

Started by Fíor Gael, January 05, 2009, 03:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 06, 2009, 07:54:44 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 06, 2009, 07:37:37 PM
LL
QuoteI have been going out with my woman for 5 years and am living with her for the past 3,we're not married so I would consider myself single,certainly on any forms I fill for anything when asked its always the single box I would tick

:D  :D  :D
Bullshit! 

Why have you "I'm in a relationship" (aaaaaahhhh) on your facebook?

Well Duh because I am of course... ::)
I'm still "single" though...
:D  :D  :D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

milltown row

get a room you two, like two steers ;)

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tyronelass

Quote from: Fíor Gael on January 05, 2009, 03:07:06 PM
Myself and the better half had planned (and provisionally booked with deposit paid) to get married in a fine hotel just across the border in the free state in July 2010, but the way the euro has went is causing me sleepless nights and I think it'd be better to try and get my deposit back and book somewhere in the north. Any suggestions on good venues within a 30mile radius of Banbridge? (not the canal court as its already booked out)

Same as myself and the other half, only our wedding is July this year, if it was further away I've no doubt we would be like yourself and thinking of switching hotels. However the general talk from those in the know seems to be that it'll drop again and when u see how quick the turn-around came a decline might come just as quick.

We're not having too many sleepless nites just yet thou cos we dont know wat way things will go, but if it stays as is is at present the guest list will be reduced - simple as.
We also talked to the hotel the other day and mentioned the exchange rate and said they too are feeling the pressure cos of decline of northern couples even equiring about weddings in the hotel and that they are planning to get a package together to make up for it, so that its competitive again with northern hotels. We're to talk more to them in Feb/March but I know we'll be pushing for a good deal if the euro stays where it is.

So generally before doing anything I would approach the hotel and see if there is anything they are doing.

Shortso79

Myself and the better half had planned (and provisionally booked with deposit paid) to get married in a fine hotel just across the border in the free state in July 2010, but the way the euro has went is causing me sleepless nights and I think it'd be better to try and get my deposit back and book somewhere in the north. Any suggestions on good venues within a 30mile radius of Banbridge? (not the canal court as its already booked out)

Fior Gael - how many will be attending your wedding ?

Newry Golf Inn is a good spot - good feed and nice hall - but it may be too small - depends on your numbers -

The Whistledown (Warrenpoint) - again would depend on your numbers - no more than 120

Bellinis in Newry do weddings - top floor - havent heard any reports yet - good or bad.

Does the Belmount in Banbridge do weddings....

What about the slieve donard in Newcastle - may be pricey.

stephenite

Getting hitched in 8 weeks - reception/ceremony and ferry all paid for - bitching already starting about who was and wasn't invited, but I couldn't give a fcuk as the ones that didn't get invited were the ones that said they wouldn't be coming!!! Why would I send an invitation to someone who has already said they wouldn't be attending? Can anyone explain this to me?

Bod Mor

Quote from: stephenite on January 07, 2009, 05:56:30 AM
Why would I send an invitation to someone who has already said they wouldn't be attending? Can anyone explain this to me?

Just to rub their noses in it  ;D

Fair play, congrats anyway. Will it be on in the downhill?

Make the most of the next 8 weeks while you can!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

stephenite

Quote from: Bod Mor on January 07, 2009, 06:00:25 AM
Will it be on in the downhill?

Make the most of the next 8 weeks while you can!

Nah, The Rocks!!

Donagh

Quote from: Tyronelass on January 06, 2009, 08:35:53 PM

Same as myself and the other half, only our wedding is July this year, if it was further away I've no doubt we would be like yourself and thinking of switching hotels. However the general talk from those in the know seems to be that it'll drop again and when u see how quick the turn-around came a decline might come just as quick.

We're not having too many sleepless nites just yet thou cos we dont know wat way things will go, but if it stays as is is at present the guest list will be reduced - simple as.
We also talked to the hotel the other day and mentioned the exchange rate and said they too are feeling the pressure cos of decline of northern couples even equiring about weddings in the hotel and that they are planning to get a package together to make up for it, so that its competitive again with northern hotels. We're to talk more to them in Feb/March but I know we'll be pushing for a good deal if the euro stays where it is.

So generally before doing anything I would approach the hotel and see if there is anything they are doing.

Except in March you'll being doing well to find somewhere else. You'd be safer looking for somewhere else now and make a provisional booking in case it doesn't work out with the first place.

Hardy

Getting hitched in 8 weeks

Does she know about - y'know - the Spice Girl thing?

Fíor Gael

Quote from: Tyronelass on January 06, 2009, 08:35:53 PM

This sounds like good advice Tyrone lass. i think I'll try this approach first and see what they say. Or else I'll just give the misses the red card and continue as a merry bachelor.

rossie mad

just reading the thread and i have a question.i let herself sort the hotel out and she got one but we had to sign a contract and give 2 grand deposit.wedding is august next year.now with prices hopefully coming down and these spots selling their mothers to get business will we be stuck with 2008 prices (thats when the contract was signed)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 05, 2009, 09:04:55 PM
Just be very careful in how you proceed.  I think you need to read the contract you signed when you booked the wedding at the hotel.  You will find that loss of the deposit is the least of your problems.  The hotel will have a standard calculation for every function and have calculated the gross income expected on the day of your wedding.  You will find that you will be expected to pay a percentage of this amount as a cancellation fee.  This is similar to the cancellation of a holiday.  The closer you get to the date, the greater the percentage of the gross income that you will be expected to pay.  Somewhere you will have the small print on a document you signed on booking.

Check out these terms & conditions:

thinking about it and the last resort and only excuse left that you could try to get the deposit back would be to call them up or go to them and 'nervously' say to the manager/wedding bookings manager that you have been advised that you have to inform them that one half of the wedding party are 'drawn mostly from the travelling community - but most of them are settled travellers now' and that you have been told you need to inform the local gardai three months prior and were told you needed to do likewise to the hotel.

I'll bet you get the deposit back.

stephenite

Quote from: Hardy on January 07, 2009, 11:06:12 AM
Getting hitched in 8 weeks

Does she know about - y'know - the Spice Girl thing?

Dunno about the Spice Girl thing to be honest, but you can be f**king sure she knows about it