Wedding Receptions?

Started by Fíor Gael, January 05, 2009, 03:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fíor Gael

Myself and the better half had planned (and provisionally booked with deposit paid) to get married in a fine hotel just across the border in the free state in July 2010, but the way the euro has went is causing me sleepless nights and I think it'd be better to try and get my deposit back and book somewhere in the north. Any suggestions on good venues within a 30mile radius of Banbridge? (not the canal court as its already booked out)

EC Unique

By the time 2010 has come around I woud expect the pound to have recovered a fair bit from todays value. :-\

illdecide

Tell her its off and do yourself a favour...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Onion Bag

Quote from: Fíor Gael on January 05, 2009, 03:07:06 PM
Myself and the better half had planned (and provisionally booked with deposit paid) to get married in a fine hotel just across the border in the free state in July 2010, but the way the euro has went is causing me sleepless nights and I think it'd be better to try and get my deposit back and book somewhere in the north. Any suggestions on good venues within a 30mile radius of Banbridge? (not the canal court as its already booked out)

I know exactly where youre coming from, Im getting hitched in July coming over the border and its driving me f**king mad, for starters i dont know your hotel but i would nearly bet my life you wont get your deposit back, and secondly as someone has already stated the pound should have pulled itself together by then

maybe its a bit far for you, but the Glenavon in Cookstown is now a 4 star, you could try them if you still wanted to change
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Onion Bag on January 05, 2009, 03:35:56 PM

I know exactly where youre coming from, Im getting hitched in July coming over the border and its driving me f**king mad, for starters i dont know your hotel but i would nearly bet my life you wont get your deposit back, and secondly as someone has already stated the pound should have pulled itself together by then

maybe its a bit far for you, but the Glenavon in Cookstown is now a 4 star, you could try them if you still wanted to change
I have a good way to get your deposit back...
When our date was changed and we wanted a diff venue (had booked slieve russell) - they wouldnt give the deposit back.
So I simply said, thats ok, as the parents 35th wedding anniversary was around the same time (I lied  :o), I'll have a wee party for them on that date instead.
They asked me how many for, I said - approx 20 - 30 people, buffet food job.
BUT...if they found someone else looking for that date, I'd be most likely willing to give up that date for them instead and hold the 'wee anniversary reception' elsewhere ...as long as I got the deposit back.

A week later(maybe less) I got a call from them saying that if I was willing to accept the deposit back, they had someone else looking for the same date...
so I got my money back ! :)

the loss in revenue from a 150 person wedding down to a 20-30 buffet event was something they didnt want to turn down...so I suggest you do likewise and get your hard earned cash back.

only potential problem may be that there may be some stipulation that you must have a wedding reception and only a wedding reception, in this case, I'd tell them that your guest list is down to 30 people (as there is a alternative wedding on the same day/ or youve fallen out with all of her family/inlaws etc !

best of luck !
:)

Onion Bag

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 05, 2009, 04:03:52 PM

When our date was changed and we wanted a diff venue (had booked slieve russell) - they wouldnt give the deposit back.
So I simply said, thats ok, as the parents 35th wedding anniversary was around the same time (I lied  :o), I'll have a wee party for them on that date instead.
BUT...if they found someone else looking for that date, I'd be most likely willing to give up that date for them instead and hold the 'wee anniversary reception' elsewhere ...as long as I got the deposit back.

A week later(maybe less) I got a call from them saying that if I was willing to accept the deposit back, they had someone else looking for the same date...

the loss in revenue from a 150 person wedding down to a 20-30 buffet event was something they didnt want to turn down...so I suggest you do likewise and get your hard earned cash back.

only potential problem may be that there may be some stipulation that you must have a wedding reception and only a wedding reception, in this case, I'd tell them that your guest list is down to 30 people (as there is a alternative wedding on the same day/ or youve fallen out with all of her family/inlaws etc !

best of luck !

No flies hanging of you Lynch,

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Onion Bag on January 05, 2009, 04:15:20 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 05, 2009, 04:03:52 PM

best of luck !

No flies hanging of you Lynch,

....not when it comes to money  !  !
;)

Hardy

For God's sake lads have a bit of sense and cancel these expensive bashes. It's madness at the best of times to spend a small fortune at a time when you can least afford it just to satisfy a girl's (and her mother's) media, advertising and Hollywood-fuelled fantasy to be princess for a day. In the throes of the worst depression in modern history it simply makes no sense at all.

Now is your chance to make her see sense. "We're starting out together in hard times. We have to be sensible for the sake of our future, our kids, etc. If course I love you - that's why I want us to have the  best possible opportunity of surviving these bad times. Just a dinner for family and we'll have a good session in the pub for all the friends - we'll even buy a round or two".

A six-figure sum saved instead of squandered. You know it makes sense.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hardy on January 05, 2009, 04:23:15 PM
For God's sake lads have a bit of sense and cancel these expensive bashes. It's madness at the best of times to spend a small fortune at a time when you can least afford it just to satisfy a girl's (and her mother's) media, advertising and Hollywood-fuelled fantasy to be princess for a day. In the throes of the worst depression in modern history it simply makes no sense at all.

Now is your chance to make her see sense. "We're starting out together in hard times. We have to be sensible for the sake of our future, our kids, etc. If course I love you - that's why I want us to have the  best possible opportunity of surviving these bad times. Just a dinner for family and we'll have a good session in the pub for all the friends - we'll even buy a round or two".

A six-figure sum saved instead of squandered. You know it makes sense.

to be fair hardy a lot of these bigger weddings, the bride and groom make more than they outlay !

certainly the 300 guest weddings that they have in the mid north region of the country, the 'happy couple'  end up pocketing a few grand profit
but then again, ya couldnt be up to them cavan folks !

Hardy

Ah I'd still, expect the presents though!

Onion Bag

i heard that as well, lynch, but i have crunched the numbers and it will cost a lot of money

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Onion Bag on January 05, 2009, 04:38:54 PM
i heard that as well, lynch, but i have crunched the numbers and it will cost a lot of money
crunch the suppliers then too...
right now there will be a lot who will get into a bit of haggling with you ..
the reception place itself might even go for a reduction on corkage and food
once you start haggling, you wont be stopped.

dont be hiring wedding planners etc.
book the whole lot yourself, it wont cost as much as they say or think.

Dont be shy about hinting to people that you dont want some bog oak scuplture (I f**king well got one) and wouldnt be offended by a cash present.

Onion Bag

I haggled for everything, and we booked everything ourselves, its the f**king Euro that is going to put the squeeze on us,

Aye on the present thing, anyone arrives at the door with Tea towels, lamps, or george foreman machines, i will shoot the bastards

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Onion Bag on January 05, 2009, 04:46:19 PM
I haggled for everything, and we booked everything ourselves, its the f**king Euro that is going to put the squeeze on us,

Aye on the present thing, anyone arrives at the door with Tea towels, lamps, or george foreman machines, i will shoot the b**tards
then pull the plug and book north of the border.
The pound will undoubtedly bounce back, but you dont want tospend eachday every day for the next year or whatever looking at the exchange rate doing yourself a mischief.
Get an alternative venue/plan B ....

get them oul gossipy biddies that tell everyone your business about how you are strapped for cash and you only want currency as presents..
the ol bags are usually good for spreading info to everyone so you should avoid the tea towels  !

goal and a point

if your wedding is big enough - taking a hit on the deposit wouldnt be a problem as you may save the difference in euro. But i would not be panicing yet especially if in 2010 - give it 6 months