Shamrock Rovers Ultras - The reawakening.

Started by AZOffaly, May 04, 2010, 10:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Surprised this wasn't mentioned here today. It sounds like Rovers fans had a bit of a barney last night in Dundalk, or was I imagining that as well? Of course it's wall to wall coverage this morning.

THE Premier Division meeting of Dundalk  and Shamrock Rovers was almost called off with 10 minutes remaining amid disgraceful scenes at Oriel Park last night.

Visiting Rovers fans clashed with gardai after their side was reduced to 10 men and manager Michael O'Neill was sent off in a tempestuous Airtricity League clash.

Dundalk were two goals to one ahead when the Dubliners' midfielder James Chambers was ordered off for a second yellow card. Referee Damien Hancock then dismissed O'Neill, who engaged in an angry war of words with opposite number Ian Foster as he stormed down the tunnel.

The incident enraged a section of the large visiting support, who left their segregated area and encroached towards the halfway line, in front of the main stand where Dundalk supporters were situated.

While Rovers players attempted to defuse the situation, they had little success and angry clashes ensued between the Hoops fans and guards with missiles thrown.

With play delayed for close to 10 minutes, Hancock discussed whether to continue with his linesmen, and made the decision to finish out the game with gardai on the sideline.

Foster last night claimed that the offending section of the Rovers support were trying to get the game abandoned.

"That's what they were trying to do at that point," said Foster, "Thankfully the referee has seen past that and let us play on."

Strong sanctions are likely to follow for Rovers, although the security arrangements at Oriel will also come under scrutiny.

Hoops chairman Jonathan Roche said that life bans will be considered for any of his club's fans who are identified as taking part in the disturbances.

Dundalk held on to collect the three points and move top of the table, but a thrilling game was overshadowed by the unfortunate events.

Dinny Breen

Quotewho left their segregated area
Quotethe security arrangements at Oriel

As a closet Rovers fan I went to see them play in Tallaght last year, vowed never to go again just didn't feel comfortable in the stadium and couldn't get over the number of guards present, it was a diiferent era when my old man use to bring me to Milltown in the early 80s.
#newbridgeornowhere

rossie mad

Great supporters they are too.

This does nothing for the status that shamrock rovers holds and rightly so in irish soccer.

The amount of rubbish i see written about the great support that SHAMrock rovers and bohs have and behind it all the majority are troublemakers and a kind of wannabe hooligan brigade like the firms that infected british soccer in the 70's and 80's.

They should all be banned and rovers deducted 10 points and they might behave.
The amount of money spent on security to keep this travelling mini riot group under control is a pure joke.

Canalman

Comical thing is that these "Ultras" would run a mile if 5/6 members of a cross channel "tasty firm" looked sideways at them. Mostly a bunch of Green Street obsessed late teens with a bark much worse than their bite playing at being hooligans.
The average LofI supporter is a sound ould skin imo.

Some trouble in England I see over the weekend at the football.

Main Street

Nice to see Dundalk  already with back to back to wins over Rovers and top of the table to boot.

I was watching the game on RTE but didn't see more than a small group of  20 or so pushing and shoving.

By Daniel McDonnell
Tuesday May 04 2010
'What a shame. This was the game of the League of Ireland season so far. Rich in drama and high in quality in front of a large crowd and, ultimately, serving up the kind of result which is giving the new campaign a real edge on the park.

Instead, the legacy will be the troubling scenes close to the final whistle which nearly resulted in this encounter being postponed. All in front of a live TV audience.'

This is about as worse as it got

AZOffaly

It said they threw missiles out on the pitch as well MS. Bottles and the like.

Main Street

Whilst I'm not prone to hysteria, I would not make light of the incident,  every one of those should be charged and banned, no way should there be a toleration of activity which even comes close to causing a game to be stopped. Rovers should be given 2 weeks to identify the culprits, or else!
Up to that point it was a great game by LOI standards, it had me going.

I heard that Dermot Ahern was at the game ;D  I hope he was impressed by the Gardai.

Ash Smoker

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on May 04, 2010, 05:51:30 PMRovers should be given 2 weeks to identify the culprits, or else!

I wouldn't hold my breath. I think we all know Sham Rovers know the culprits very well. The self-styled "ultras" are hardly an underground group of shrinking violets. They have been associated with this soccer company for quite a while. GAA people won't have forgotten their infamous "fcuk off and die" banner. If the reaction of official Shamrock Rovers to that incident is any indicator, I don't expect much in the way of sanction on this branch of the organisation this time around either.

magickingdom

cant be that hard to id these guys and charge them with rioting. they have no interest in football just trouble

Farrandeelin

Where's dublinfella when you need him most? :P
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Ash Smoker on May 04, 2010, 07:16:35 PM
Why do LOI fans put on Englaish accents when they chant?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPaESX1TJWw

probably something to do with the fact that they are f**king retards

rosnarun

Quote from: Main Street on May 04, 2010, 02:59:22 PM
Nice to see Dundalk  already with back to back to wins over Rovers and top of the table to boot.

I was watching the game on RTE but didn't see more than a small group of  20 or so pushing and shoving.

By Daniel McDonnell
Tuesday May 04 2010
'What a shame. This was the game of the League of Ireland season so far. Rich in drama and high in quality in front of a large crowd and, ultimately, serving up the kind of result which is giving the new campaign a real edge on the park.

Instead, the legacy will be the troubling scenes close to the final whistle which nearly resulted in this encounter being postponed. All in front of a live TV audience.'

20 fans that would be about 20% of them
did see the rest of the SR fans berate or disassociate themselves in any way either
Bull shit too about them not being fans , they paid in were put in the away support area what exactly differentiates them from regular soccer attendees?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Hardy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 04, 2010, 09:24:20 PM
Where's dublinfella when you need him most? :P

It would be scurrilous to suggest he's in a cell in Dundalk; so nobody do that.

Main Street

Quote from: rosnarun on May 04, 2010, 10:54:35 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 04, 2010, 02:59:22 PM

By Daniel McDonnell
Tuesday May 04 2010

20 fans that would be about 20% of them
did see the rest of the SR fans berate or disassociate themselves in any way either
Bull shit too about them not being fans , they paid in were put in the away support area what exactly differentiates them from regular soccer attendees?
Are you the board's Father Jack  :)

Quote20 fans that would be about 20% of them

20 fans out of 500 rovers fans?
that makes  4%

QuoteBull shit too about them not being fans ,

Who said they were not fans?   not me.
First bull smells their own shite.

Quotethey paid in were put in the away support area what exactly differentiates them from regular soccer attendees?

The obvious answer would be to say, that the nature of their aggressive behaviour differentiates them from regular soccer attendees.

Have you anything rational to add to the thread or are you really as confused as you appear?