The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Has there been news about Flanagan being injured? Hasn't featured in the US I think.

Markovic also hasnt appeared in the last couple of games. Has there been reports that he's been injured?

Sturridge definitely carrying a minor strain, and has been sent home so wont be involved v the Mancs.

gawa316

Yip Flanno and markovic slight injuries as was skrtel til he came on last night.

Tomorrows game is going to be weird, yes it's a 'friendly' but neither will want to lose

heganboy

some great quotes from the players on this game for this afternoon, neither side seem to be treating it as much of a friendly...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/04/manchester-united-liverpool-never-friendly-brendan-rodgers

QuoteThough it has been billed as friendly, both Manchester United and Liverpool are determined to bring their Premier League rivalry into their International Champions Cup final meeting in Miami on Monday evening.

The Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has called the fixture "arguably the biggest game in the world" while the Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher called it "a big deal".

"It's more than football. It's life. It is two cities, not very far apart, but historically they have always been huge rivals," said Rodgers. "It's arguably the biggest game in the world and for it to be here in the United States is wonderful for the supporters and the organisers. They are the two biggest clubs in Britain and two of the biggest in the world so it will be a fantastic game and we are looking forward to it.

"Not many of these games are friendly. You saw the Manchester City game was competitive. Top players see every game as a competition. There are never too many friendlies playing for Liverpool."

His thoughts were echoed by the Liverpool defender Glen Johnson, who has said the rivalry between the two sides will help boost fitness levels before the Premier League season.

"When you're at a top club, you need to be playing the best teams because they're the ones you're going to be fighting with throughout the season. It has been a fantastic pre-season," said Johnson. "It will be great for the fans and we're certainly looking forward to it. They're a massive club as well so I'm sure the fans will turn up and make it a good night. Although it's pre-season and the main thing is to get fit, we've started the way we finished last season. That has pretty much been the philosophy for the whole time."

Liverpool's Jordan Henderson also stressed the need for a win over Manchester United. "This will be a big game and a big test, though, and it is important to go and win this one," he said. "They still have a lot of good players and I am sure they will want to challenge for the title, but we will concentrate on ourselves and focus on building on last season."

Manchester United went through to the final after beating Real Madrid and hope to avenge the 3-0 Premier League defeat they suffered against Liverpool last season. "I know it's only pre-season and it's just a summer competition, but when United play Liverpool, it is always a big deal," said Manchester United's Fletcher. "We want to win every match and it is no different when we play Liverpool.

"We have just beaten Real Madrid, the European champions, and we now want to go on and beat Liverpool," he said. "That is the sort of thing that gives the squad confidence. We have a lot of young players out here and you have to remember that. But all of us have to do it as a team, collectively, and we are doing that."

Ashley Young, who has been remodelled as a left wing-back in Van Gaal's 5-2-1-2 system, said: "There is no better game to finish the tour with. We all know the rivalry with the two teams – it'll be a great occasion and everyone can't wait. People may look at it as pre-season but we want to go out and win the game and the trophy.

"It was a fantastic result [against Madrid]. We wanted to be on the front foot from the start and that's what happened. We only needed a draw but we're Manchester United so we were only focused on the win. And we want to win the whole tournament now. It doesn't matter that it's pre-season, we're here to try to pick up the trophy. We're in the final and we want to win it."
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

laoislad

Is anyone(on this side of the Atlantic) actually staying up to watch it?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gawa316

Team:

Mig
Kelly
Skrtel
Sakho
Johnson
Gerrard
Hendo
Allen
Sterling
Lambert
Coutinho

heganboy

refereeing not great, not favoring anyone just inconsistent.

Half time,  liverpool 1 nil up on a gerard penalty after a foul by jones on sterling. same happened 20 minutes later and the ref let play go on- what you gonna do. Utd look a bit flat, mata not really at the races at all, and rooney being forced to come back to get ball. May be that van gala is making ute play the 352 and gerard is sitting soaking up a lot of the space in front of the 2 up front. Johnson seeing a lot of the ball at left back, skrtel and  sakho look comfortable as a pairing, kelly looks a bit like he's trying to hard

J70

Liverpool well in control for an hour. Should have been further ahead. Then United score two in two minutes with their first two shots on goal and that was that. United controlled it after that and Liverpool never really looked like leveling it. Rooney played like a man possessed! Must have been hurting after last season! Cheeky as well sticking away the one that bounced back into play and then celebrating!  :P Apart from him, it was pretty low key stuff.

cadhlancian

Lads, a top striker is needed urgently! From what I've saw in his 3 games so far , Lambert looks way below the standard required at this level. He looks completely overwhelmed :-[
I wasn't expecting Suarez, but f**k me I thought he'd be handier than that...

J70

Don't think he was bought as a first choice,  so yeah, I'm sure Rodgers is more aware than anyone that he's not the answer. That one that was slipped into him on the edge of the box early in the second half - all I could think of was "imagine Suarez getting that chance!" as he scuffed a shot towards DeGea!  :)

heganboy

Looked like a complete lack of attention from Liverpool for both the first two goals. Third one was too many men forward looking for the equalizer. Utd did well in the second half, many more men following the ball in, a lot more support for the front two. Rooney showed very well offering options to the midfield tirelessly.

Shrewdness

Quote from: J70 on August 05, 2014, 03:24:23 AM
Don't think he was bought as a first choice,  so yeah, I'm sure Rodgers is more aware than anyone that he's not the answer. That one that was slipped into him on the edge of the box early in the second half - all I could think of was "imagine Suarez getting that chance!" as he scuffed a shot towards DeGea!  :)

And there ye were all summer telling us that Lambert was good
For at least ten goals next season. At least give him a chance to settle
in before ye write him off.

AZOffaly

Bingo

brokencrossbar1

Echo, echo, echoooo....!

May as well give LVG the League trophy now, tis a done deal!