How does the current Dublin team compare with the Tyrone team 2003-2008?

Started by johnpower, September 22, 2015, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandefender

Quote from: sid waddell on September 23, 2015, 11:02:28 AM
Tyrone lost to poor Mayo, Derry, Laois, Meath and Down teams, and took two goes to beat a poor Cavan team. That doesn't sound like greatness to me.

Dublin would have put all of those teams away by at least 15 points.

So many other factors involved you dope! Love posters to embarrassed even to state where they are from with these expert opinions.

As Is aid stupid topic, allows idiots to say stupid things

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 23, 2015, 12:53:39 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 23, 2015, 12:26:26 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2015, 11:36:39 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 22, 2015, 11:17:40 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2015, 10:54:20 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 22, 2015, 10:50:41 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2015, 10:16:32 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 22, 2015, 09:58:21 PM
Tyrone for me. Tyrone had opposition from May - Sept.

Because the standard in Leinster is so abject for years now Dublin can bank on being in semi every year. This year they only got 2 decent games to win Sam - the 2 semi-finals v Mayo. The CP factor will always taint Dublin's achievements.

Croke Park factor is such a crazy advantage!

Dublins Games in Croker this year

Dublin Donegal
Dublin Tyrone
Dublin Derry
Dublin Monaghan
Dublin Cork
Dublin Longford
Dublin Kildare
Dublin Westmeath
Dublin Fermanagh
Dublin Mayo
Dublin Mayo

Kerrys games in Croker

Kerry Kildare
Kerry Tyrone

I have absolutely no doubt that this Dublin would beat Mayo in an AI Final no matter where the game were to be played.

I have no doubt either! The problem is Dublin get home advantage for all their important games! ALL!

Your list is disingenuous. As you know, league games are a combination of home and away games so your inclusion of league games is misleading (remember Dublin travelled to Castlebar this year and you know the result).

In the case of Leinster championship games, which of your listed games would Dublin have lost if they were played outside Croke Park?

God man! You played NO games away from home when the League became knockout! You played NO games away from home in the championship. You might have played teams you would have beaten away from home in the Leinster Championship, But you were still getting games in a ground you call home (for your league campaign) and getting more used to playing on it!

As for the Mayo example of beating (hammering) us in the league. If you are going to use that analogy then how did ye get on away from home against Kerry (or even Cork)?

Can you imagine if Man Utd had all Cup finals, semi finals and Quarter finals played in Old Trafford? All Champions league games played there! Would you say they held no advantage?

Check mate!

What's your point - that this Dublin team would not be as successful as they are if they had to play outside Croke Park?

I ask you again, Would you say they held no advantage playing all their knock out games in Croker? If you ignore the question again, I'll take it you agree and want to avoid answering?

What I am saying is that the red herring of the so-called "home advantage" has no bearing on the success of this very talented Dublin team. They would be equally successful no matter where they played.

The great Dublin team of the 70s won six Leinster titles in a row and reached six All Ireland finals (winning three of them) while playing most of their Leinster games outside Dublin. I have no doubt that today's team would be equally successful if the same conditions applied.

Now that Dublin are once again AI champions I expect this rubbish argument to ignite every month or so - however I'm a little disappointed that the team and their supporters haven't been allowed to finish their victory celebrations before it has started again. 
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 23, 2015, 11:22:14 AM

Because the standard in Leinster is so abject for years now Dublin can bank on being in semi every year. This year they only got 2 decent games to win Sam - the 2 semi-finals v Mayo. The CP factor will always taint Dublin's achievements.

Dublin Donegal
Dublin Tyrone
Dublin Derry
Dublin Monaghan
Dublin Cork
Dublin Longford
Dublin Kildare
Dublin Westmeath
Dublin Fermanagh
Dublin Mayo
Dublin Mayo

Kerrys games in Croker

Kerry Kildare
Kerry Tyrone

I have absolutely no doubt that this Dublin would beat Mayo in an AI Final no matter where the game were to be played.

I have no doubt either! The problem is Dublin get home advantage for all their important games! ALL!

Your list is disingenuous. As you know, league games are a combination of home and away games so your inclusion of league games is misleading (remember Dublin travelled to Castlebar this year and you know the result).

In the case of Leinster championship games, which of your listed games would Dublin have lost if they were played outside Croke Park?

God man! You played NO games away from home when the League became knockout! You played NO games away from home in the championship. You might have played teams you would have beaten away from home in the Leinster Championship, But you were still getting games in a ground you call home (for your league campaign) and getting more used to playing on it!

As for the Mayo example of beating (hammering) us in the league. If you are going to use that analogy then how did ye get on away from home against Kerry (or even Cork)?

Can you imagine if Man Utd had all Cup finals, semi finals and Quarter finals played in Old Trafford? All Champions league games played there! Would you say they held no advantage?

Check mate!

What's your point - that this Dublin team would not be as successful as they are if they had to play outside Croke Park?

I ask you again, Would you say they held no advantage playing all their knock out games in Croker? If you ignore the question again, I'll take it you agree and want to avoid answering?

What I am saying is that the red herring of the so-called "home advantage" has no bearing on the success of this very talented Dublin team. They would be equally successful no matter where they played.

The great Dublin team of the 70s won six Leinster titles in a row and reached six All Ireland finals (winning three of them) while playing most of their Leinster games outside Dublin. I have no doubt that today's team would be equally successful if the same conditions applied.

Now that Dublin are once again AI champions I expect this rubbish argument to ignite every month or so - however I'm a little disappointed that the team and their supporters haven't been allowed to finish their victory celebrations before it has started again.

I agree with you that Dublin are worthy champions. I wanted them to win the AI once they beat Mayo. But, I ask you again, Would you say Dublin hold an advantage playing all their knock out games in Croker? A Yes - No answer will suffice.

sid waddell

Quote from: redhandefender on September 23, 2015, 11:17:12 AM
Tyrone lost to poor Mayo, Derry, Laois, Meath and Down teams, and took two goes to beat a poor Cavan team. That doesn't sound like greatness to me.

So many other factors involved you dope! Love posters to embarrassed even to state where they are from with these expert opinions.

"You dope"

This is great. Tyrone people are fierce easy to wind up with facts.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 23, 2015, 01:18:54 PM

Dublin Donegal
Dublin Tyrone
Dublin Derry
Dublin Monaghan
Dublin Cork
Dublin Longford
Dublin Kildare
Dublin Westmeath
Dublin Fermanagh
Dublin Mayo
Dublin Mayo

Kerrys games in Croker

Kerry Kildare
Kerry Tyrone

Check mate!

I agree with you that Dublin are worthy champions. I wanted them to win the AI once they beat Mayo. But, I ask you again, Would you say Dublin hold an advantage playing all their knock out games in Croker? A Yes - No answer will suffice.

My answer to your direct question is No.

Indeed, I believe if the present Dublin team played more of its games outside Croker they would be even stronger - just like the team of the 70s. 

When Dublin football is weak the Croke Park "advantage" doesn't seem to help. In the not too distant past Dublin have been beaten by the likes of Westmeath, Laois, Meath, Armagh and Kildare in Croker (not to mention hammerings by Kerry and Tyrone) and inevitably this will happen again.

You pays your money and you takes your choice on this matter and I guess that opinions will remain irreconcilable.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on September 23, 2015, 01:56:49 PM

"You dope"

Nearly as great as yourself for making up facts

McCaffery POTY  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 22, 2015, 11:10:56 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 22, 2015, 11:02:39 PM
A composite Dublin 2011-2015/Tyrone 2003-2008 team would probably look something like as follows:

1. Cluxton
2. McMenamin
3. O'Carroll
4. P. McMahon
5. McCarthy
6. Gormley
7. McCaffrey
8. McAuley
9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
11. A. Brogan
12. Connolly
13. Canavan
14. O'Neill
15. B. Brogan

9 Dublin 6 Tyrone

Dublin have it.

Wud have both J McMahons ahead of O'Carrol

McCaffery ahead of Jordan  ;D

Brogan ahead of McGuigan? 08 was the best year Brogan was ever having, the Tyrone match told me everything I needed to know about him on a pitch.

What do you mean by this? Brogan went off with a hamstring injury after a few minutes. Are you suggesting he feigned the injury?

McGuigan was arguably as talented as Brogan but through no fault of his own only had a couple of really good years.  This year was Alan Brogans 13th year playing County Football and he was close to being Dublins top player in about 10 of them. Therefore I'd have him ahead of Brian.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on September 23, 2015, 04:06:45 PM
A composite Dublin 2011-2015/Tyrone 2003-2008 team would probably look something like as follows:

1. Cluxton
2. McMenamin
3. O'Carroll
4. P. McMahon
5. McCarthy
6. Gormley
7. McCaffrey
8. McAuley
9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
11. A. Brogan
12. Connolly
13. Canavan
14. O'Neill
15. B. Brogan

9 Dublin 6 Tyrone

Dublin have it.

Brogan ahead of McGuigan? 08 was the best year Brogan was ever having, the Tyrone match told me everything I needed to know about him on a pitch.

What do you mean by this? Brogan went off with a hamstring injury after a few minutes. Are you suggesting he feigned the injury?

McGuigan was arguably as talented as Brogan but through no fault of his own only had a couple of really good years.  This year was Alan Brogans 13th year playing County Football and he was close to being Dublins top player in about 10 of them. Therefore I'd have him ahead of Brian.

Hamstring  ::) Right

ck

I have only seen the title of this thread so am commenting on that only.

Comparing Tyrone 03-08 to the current Dublin team is a nonsense. Dublin are miles ahead on every level. Tyrone were well organised and pushed the boundaries but also had a few special players, Canavan, Dooher, Jordan, but Dublin have 12 or 13 special players and have brought the game to a new level.

IMO if the current Dublin team played the best of Tyrone 03-08 Dublin would win by 10 points. There is no real comparison, the current Dublin crop are arguably the best group of players ever representing a county, in any era!
Tyrone are no better than Kerry or Armagh from similar years. Dublin would beat the pick of the lot of them.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 23, 2015, 04:35:53 PM

1. Cluxton
2. McMenamin
3. O'Carroll
4. P. McMahon
5. McCarthy
6. Gormley
7. McCaffrey
8. McAuley
9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
11. A. Brogan
12. Connolly
13. Canavan
14. O'Neill
15. B. Brogan

9 Dublin 6 Tyrone

Dublin have it.

Your actually delusional if you think Brogan feigned injury.
He marked far harder and better defenders than Gormley over the years and never took a backward step. He's also still winning All Ireland medals while Gormley is nothing more than a distant memory with a touch of a lingering odour off it.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on September 23, 2015, 05:26:10 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 23, 2015, 04:35:53 PM

1. Cluxton
2. McMenamin
3. O'Carroll
4. P. McMahon
5. McCarthy
6. Gormley
7. McCaffrey
8. McAuley
9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
11. A. Brogan
12. Connolly
13. Canavan
14. O'Neill
15. B. Brogan

9 Dublin 6 Tyrone

Dublin have it.

Your actually delusional if you think Brogan feigned injury.
He marked far harder and better defenders than Gormley over the years and never took a backward step. He's also still winning All Ireland medals while Gormley is nothing more than a distant memory with a touch of a lingering odour off it.

No actually you are delusional, what was the follow up on that injury? did he miss club games?

Listen I actually thought nothing off it at the time, but was talking to Dubs after the match and thats what they reckoned, I had a look at the whole thing again and sure enough there was nothing to it, he never pulled up, limped off, nothing.

Also 08 Gormley still had pace and agility and was considered the best man marker in the country at that time. Its no slight to come off 2nd best, but to cry off like he did? Well thats a different story.

He roasted Gormley somewhat in 2011 so he somewhat redeemed himself IMO but Gormley was fairly well spent (certainly no comparison to his 08 version) and the younger lads (Brogan and Connolly mainly) had already done the damage that day.

But that's the thing, tge resurgence in his career coincides with this current crop of players, he has reinvented himself as well to an extent but he is mostly piggy backing on their talent, fair play.

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 23, 2015, 02:37:02 PM

Dublin Donegal
Dublin Tyrone
Dublin Derry
Dublin Monaghan
Dublin Cork
Dublin Longford
Dublin Kildare
Dublin Westmeath
Dublin Fermanagh
Dublin Mayo
Dublin Mayo

Kerrys games in Croker

Kerry Kildare
Kerry Tyrone

Check mate!

Indeed, I believe if the present Dublin team played more of its games outside Croker they would be even stronger - just like the team of the 70s. 

When Dublin football is weak the Croke Park "advantage" doesn't seem to help. In the not too distant past Dublin have been beaten by the likes of Westmeath, Laois, Meath, Armagh and Kildare in Croker (not to mention hammerings by Kerry and Tyrone) and inevitably this will happen again.

You pays your money and you takes your choice on this matter and I guess that opinions will remain irreconcilable.

It's not our money that keeps the Dubs in Croker. It's the Dubs fans money. Look, I'm not really trying to devalue Dublins Achievements, it's just the power that ye possess in the game is scary! Everything seems to be on Dublins terms when it comes to the Business side of the GAA season. If you can't see that well and good! But I'm not blind to this. Home fixtures are home fixtures no matter how you try to gross over it. In any sport home fixtures hold weight, look at where most teams in the premiership get most points - at home! There will come a time where the chasing crowd (hopefully) catch up with Dublin, then you won't have the well we would have beaten you no matter where we played line you presently have, which is an understandable argument at present. Listen enjoy the week.Everyone knows ye are the best team in the country. We'll get back to this argument at a more appropriate time.

tonto1888

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 23, 2015, 03:33:54 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 23, 2015, 01:56:49 PM

"You dope"

Nearly as great as yourself for making up facts

McCaffery POTY  ;D ;D ;D ;D

He said was named Sunday game player of the year

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 23, 2015, 07:18:38 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 23, 2015, 02:37:02 PM

Dublin Donegal
Dublin Tyrone
Dublin Derry
Dublin Monaghan
Dublin Cork
Dublin Longford
Dublin Kildare
Dublin Westmeath
Dublin Fermanagh
Dublin Mayo
Dublin Mayo

Kerrys games in Croker

Kerry Kildare
Kerry Tyrone

Check mate!

It's not our money that keeps the Dubs in Croker. It's the Dubs fans money. Look, I'm not really trying to devalue Dublins Achievements, it's just the power that ye possess in the game is scary! Everything seems to be on Dublins terms when it comes to the Business side of the GAA season. If you can't see that well and good! But I'm not blind to this. Home fixtures are home fixtures no matter how you try to gross over it. In any sport home fixtures hold weight, look at where most teams in the premiership get most points - at home! There will come a time where the chasing crowd (hopefully) catch up with Dublin, then you won't have the well we would have beaten you no matter where we played line you presently have, which is an understandable argument at present. Listen enjoy the week.Everyone knows ye are the best team in the country. We'll get back to this argument at a more appropriate time.

;)

muppet

1. Cluxton
2. McMenamin
3. O'Carroll
4. P. McMahon
5. McCarthy
6. Gormley
7. McCaffrey
8. McAuley
9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
11. A. Brogan
12. Connolly
13. Canavan
14. O'Neill
15. B. Brogan

9 Dublin 6 Tyrone

Dublin have it.

Jebus!

With McMenamin, McMahon and Gormley, there would be casualties before the team even left the dressing room. Half of them forwards wouldn't live beyond spring training.
MWWSI 2017