How does the current Dublin team compare with the Tyrone team 2003-2008?

Started by johnpower, September 22, 2015, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: sid waddell on September 22, 2015, 11:02:39 PM
A composite Dublin 2011-2015/Tyrone 2003-2008 team would probably look something like as follows:

1. Cluxton
2. McMenamin
3. O'Carroll
4. P. McMahon
5. McCarthy
6. Gormley
7. McCaffrey
8. McAuley
9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
11. A. Brogan
12. Connolly
13. Canavan
14. O'Neill
15. B. Brogan

9 Dublin 6 Tyrone

Dublin have it.

Stick to the darts, Sid!
That was never a square ball!!

ashman

Being really mischievous :  who were more blaggarded kerry in 2011 or Tyrone in 1995.

sid waddell

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 22, 2015, 11:10:56 PM

Wud have both J McMahons ahead of O'Carrol

McCaffery ahead of Jordan  ;D

Brogan ahead of McGuigan? 08 was the best year Brogan was ever having, the Tyrone match told me everything I needed to know about him on a pitch.
i) O'Carroll is comfortably the best full back of this century so far.

ii) McCaffrey has just been named Sunday Game POTY and will go on to become an all-time great. Jordan never came remotely close to being POTY.

iii) A comment which tells me everything I need to know about your football knowledge, ie, there isn't much of it.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2015, 10:54:20 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 22, 2015, 10:50:41 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2015, 10:16:32 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 22, 2015, 09:58:21 PM
Tyrone for me. Tyrone had opposition from May - Sept.

Because the standard in Leinster is so abject for years now Dublin can bank on being in semi every year. This year they only got 2 decent games to win Sam - the 2 semi-finals v Mayo. The CP factor will always taint Dublin's achievements.

Croke Park factor is such a crazy advantage!

Dublins Games in Croker this year

Dublin Donegal
Dublin Tyrone
Dublin Derry
Dublin Monaghan
Dublin Cork
Dublin Longford
Dublin Kildare
Dublin Westmeath
Dublin Fermanagh
Dublin Mayo
Dublin Mayo

Kerrys games in Croker

Kerry Kildare
Kerry Tyrone

I have absolutely no doubt that this Dublin would beat Mayo in an AI Final no matter where the game were to be played.

I have no doubt either! The problem is Dublin get home advantage for all their important games! ALL!

Your list is disingenuous. As you know, league games are a combination of home and away games so your inclusion of league games is misleading (remember Dublin travelled to Castlebar this year and you know the result).

In the case of Leinster championship games, which of your listed games would Dublin have lost if they were played outside Croke Park?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Wildweasel74

No that i care but i have Mcguigan, Jordan, maybe J McMahon on there

sid waddell

Quote from: ONeill on September 22, 2015, 11:13:27 PM

McCaffrey would have to turn in 8 seasons like this year and he might compare. Watch the 05 final again. McGuigan was majestic - comparable to Cooper against Mayo.
By your own logic, then, Alan Brogan would comfortably beat McGuigan. McGuigan had maybe 3/4 good seasons, and it was only really 2005 that he had a great season. Brogan carried poor Dublin teams on his back for years and now has his reward for it.

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on September 22, 2015, 11:16:54 PM

Brogan ahead of McGuigan? 08 was the best year Brogan was ever having, the Tyrone match told me everything I needed to know about him on a pitch.
i) O'Carroll is comfortably the best full back of this century so far.[/b]

ii) McCaffrey has just been named Sunday Game POTY and will go on to become an all-time great. Jordan never came remotely close to being POTY.

iii) A comment which tells me everything I need to know about your football knowledge, ie, there isn't much of it.

O'Carroll isn't even the current best full back in his province

is your criteria based on future achievements?

Likewise, with your entire posts to date.
I like A. Brogan TBF and Conor Gormley is a big tough fella. I'd be crying off as well after a few minutes against him, but then Im not in consideration for this XV

ONeill

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6903882
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

This is more a reflection of the quality of players performances in the respective eras than of Jordan. McCafferys displays this year wouldn't have gotten him within an asses roar of the likes of Stevie O'Neill, Thomas O'Se, Sean Cavanagh etc in the years they won POTY. Have a look at the 05 and 08 finals and tell me Jordan's performance those days were inferior to what Jack produced this year.

Plus, if we are going on potential (like you are with Jack) then Cormac McAnallen was a more talented full back than O'Connell and also a better midfielder than MDmcA.
That was never a square ball!!

sid waddell

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 22, 2015, 11:25:37 PM

O'Carroll isn't even the current best full back in his province
;D

is your criteria based on future achievements?
Current achievements, mate.

Player of the Year awards: McCaffrey 1 Jordan 0.

Likewise, with your entire posts to date.
I like A. Brogan TBF and Conor Gormley is a big tough fella. I'd be crying off as well after a few minutes against him, but then Im not in consideration for this XV
Tyrone would know all about crying off against big tough opponents, now. Was it three of them cried off in 1996? I seem to remember Peter Canavan crying off in 2003 when faced with Seamus Moynihan too.

ONeill

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 22, 2015, 11:17:40 PM

Because the standard in Leinster is so abject for years now Dublin can bank on being in semi every year. This year they only got 2 decent games to win Sam - the 2 semi-finals v Mayo. The CP factor will always taint Dublin's achievements.

Dublin Donegal
Dublin Tyrone
Dublin Derry
Dublin Monaghan
Dublin Cork
Dublin Longford
Dublin Kildare
Dublin Westmeath
Dublin Fermanagh
Dublin Mayo
Dublin Mayo

Kerrys games in Croker

Kerry Kildare
Kerry Tyrone

I have absolutely no doubt that this Dublin would beat Mayo in an AI Final no matter where the game were to be played.

I have no doubt either! The problem is Dublin get home advantage for all their important games! ALL!

Your list is disingenuous. As you know, league games are a combination of home and away games so your inclusion of league games is misleading (remember Dublin travelled to Castlebar this year and you know the result).

In the case of Leinster championship games, which of your listed games would Dublin have lost if they were played outside Croke Park?

God man! You played NO games away from home when the League became knockout! You played NO games away from home in the championship. You might have played teams you would have beaten away from home in the Leinster Championship, But you were still getting games in a ground you call home (for your league campaign) and getting more used to playing on it!

As for the Mayo example of beating (hammering) us in the league. If you are going to use that analogy then how did ye get on away from home against Kerry (or even Cork)?

Can you imagine if Man Utd had all Cup finals, semi finals and Quarter finals played in Old Trafford? All Champions league games played there! Would you say they held no advantage?

Check mate!

ashman

iii) A comment

which tells me everything I need to know about your football knowledge, ie, there isn't much of it.

Rory Carroll is the most admirable footballer in the country.  He can get away with persistent fouling because he smiles away and has no snarl.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 22, 2015, 11:36:39 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 22, 2015, 11:17:40 PM

Dublin Donegal
Dublin Tyrone
Dublin Derry
Dublin Monaghan
Dublin Cork
Dublin Longford
Dublin Kildare
Dublin Westmeath
Dublin Fermanagh
Dublin Mayo
Dublin Mayo

Kerrys games in Croker

Kerry Kildare
Kerry Tyrone

God man! You played NO games away from home when the League became knockout! You played NO games away from home in the championship. You might have played teams you would have beaten away from home in the Leinster Championship, But you were still getting games in a ground you call home (for your league campaign) and getting more used to playing on it!

As for the Mayo example of beating (hammering) us in the league. If you are going to use that analogy then how did ye get on away from home against Kerry (or even Cork)?

Can you imagine if Man Utd had all Cup finals, semi finals and Quarter finals played in Old Trafford? All Champions league games played there! Would you say they held no advantage?

Check mate!

What's your point - that this Dublin team would not be as successful as they are if they had to play outside Croke Park?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

ONeill

Well, in the NFL Dublin played 5 games at home and lost none. They played 4 away and lost 2.